Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sounds like it’s time for… a tandem! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm just trying to figure out ways for you to do bikeathlon with your sweet Little Badger.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SimonSays posted:

That means there's no grease whatsoever in them because kids bikes are trash that nobody wants to pay a dime more for.
and no seals

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I rode 4 miles to get to the start of my group C ride, pulled the entire 30 miles, and rode 4 miles back home. I then proceeded to throw up probably the entire volume of both my water bottles. Now I'm very curious why I'm sipping water constantly during rides if my body never absorbs it.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

poemdexter posted:

I rode 4 miles to get to the start of my group C ride, pulled the entire 30 miles, and rode 4 miles back home. I then proceeded to throw up probably the entire volume of both my water bottles. Now I'm very curious why I'm sipping water constantly during rides if my body never absorbs it.

I have the same problem… with booze.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Anyone have good strategies for eating on the bike during group rides? When I’m solo, I tend to just stop and have an energy bar or a sandwich, but some of the groups I go with don’t stop frequently enough for me to eat. My technique isn’t good enough to stick to the wheel in front while fumbling around with wrappers. I have one bottle of carb / electrolyte drink which also helps but on tougher rides I just need more/constant fuel.

So far my ideas revolve around gels or just taking a bag of gummy worms and grazing on that. Getting gud at keeping pace whilst doing other things is ofc also a goal.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Serendipitaet posted:

Anyone have good strategies for eating on the bike during group rides? When I’m solo, I tend to just stop and have an energy bar or a sandwich, but some of the groups I go with don’t stop frequently enough for me to eat. My technique isn’t good enough to stick to the wheel in front while fumbling around with wrappers. I have one bottle of carb / electrolyte drink which also helps but on tougher rides I just need more/constant fuel.

So far my ideas revolve around gels or just taking a bag of gummy worms and grazing on that. Getting gud at keeping pace whilst doing other things is ofc also a goal.

Get a Hammer flask and buy multiserving gel packs or use maple syrup or whatever.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Open the wrappers ahead of time. I use scissors to do it more cleanly. Also cut shot blok sleeves in half.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Do what an absolute madman I rode with once does and dump cliff blocks directly into your jersey pocket.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Do what an absolute madman I rode with once does and dump cliff blocks directly into your jersey pocket.

I thought about doing this, but I can't imagine it not tasting like warm sweat after an hour.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Top tube bag full of fries

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Top tube bag full of fries

Okay Lael.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
You can try concentrated drink mix + water. I've done it in the past for ultra long rides and it helps with keeping a low amount of stuff on the bike for medium rides. Otherwise, training yourself to take in less calories during a ride is an option. There was a point during my PBP training where I was getting about 60-70 miles into a ride before needing food.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Serendipitaet posted:

Sour Patch Kids and Fig Newtons. Always and forever.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

lick the cliff shot blocks and stick them to your top tube

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I order 36 spokes and nipples just so I have some spares in case I break anything. Sent off the order and waited.

faved, subbed and hot with anticipation. lacing some cheapo carbon rims is something i often daydream about doing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Log posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an SPD cleat cover? I'm going to snap my ankles while loving up the hardwood just walking around my condo in these new shoes. They are completely flat without any ridges around the edges, like my old poo poo shoes.

Speedplay.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Serendipitaet posted:

Pre open your bars. Also have 2 bottles.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an SPD cleat cover? I'm going to snap my ankles while loving up the hardwood just walking around my condo in these new shoes. They are completely flat without any ridges around the edges, like my old poo poo shoes.

What’s the point in having SPD shoes where the cleat isn’t recessed under the tread? That’s the whole benefit!

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?
:frogsiren: Bearpope store is open again! :frogsiren:

Link to the thread :
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885509&pagenumber=15#post516410163

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

What’s the point in having SPD shoes where the cleat isn’t recessed under the tread? That’s the whole benefit!

I don't know the point, but it is definitely a product that exists. I don't get it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Not emptyquoting

Development
Jun 2, 2016

spin bikes, my dude

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

You can try concentrated drink mix + water. I've done it in the past for ultra long rides and it helps with keeping a low amount of stuff on the bike for medium rides. Otherwise, training yourself to take in less calories during a ride is an option. There was a point during my PBP training where I was getting about 60-70 miles into a ride before needing food.

I did a 100km mountain bike race in 6 ish hours last weekend on two bottles of skratch super fuel and 4 or 5 bottles of skratch hydration mix. I was pretty pleased with how I felt afterwards, though not how I normally fuel my rides.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ok, the initial laceup phase of the wheel build. From here, it's the practicum to last semester's theory class.

The spokes and nipples nicely packaged:

Not everything, as I didn't think to take a pic until things were underway.

For the first 8 spokes (half of one side), easy peasy, just 8 evenly spaced spokes radiating from the hub to the rim.

I put chalk pen on the rim at 8 holes. It was helpful to quickly visually confirm I'd plugged a spoke at the right angle.
One of these spokes is next to valve, acting as a key to the arrangement of the lacing.
From reading a couple building guides, I learned that you need to plan this step to get the spokes clocked correctly around the valve hole, for aesthetics,
and I think some sort of preferential tension acrossed the pin joint of the rim, if you're not using a welded or carbon rim:

Note how the hub and rim are sitting on some boxes. The vertical clearance makes it a bit easier to wave around the spoke around.
Here, I've elevated the flange to the same level as the rim, to maximize how much the spokes poke through the rim, giving me more margin of error for the hub moving around as I install spokes.
As each spoke comes through the rim bed, I dab a bit of grease on the threads and screw a nipple down a few threads so it can't escape.
As I did different phases, I either raised or lowered the hub relative to the rim to get better clearance for work.
This was an ok setup for an amateur one-time job.

These first 8 spokes are "inboard," in that the J-bend ends are facing outward, away from the hub center. Each one is installed by poking the threaded end of the spoke down through the flange hole and then turned upward at the rim. These are inboard so the next 8 are easier to maneuver on the outside of the flange.

Right, so the other 8 are outboard -- the threaded end coming up through the flange hole and swinging down. Unlike with the first 8, my range of motion is more limited, though I can still move the hub a couple inches about the center of the rim.
For each spoke, you have to take care that you insert it into the right rim hole to make the 3 crossings. Each target hole is between 2 of the first 8 spokes, though, so it's still fairly easy to find the right one visually. 16 spokes secured:

The 8 pointed star is a nice visual confirmation that I got the symmetry down.

Toward the end of this phase, you lose more and more freedom of motion, so by the end, this is about how much you can get the spoke to come out:

Now onto the other side. Here's where I probably could have followed better instruction, but I futzed it out.
I need to lace another key spoke, but this time, the hub's rotational orientation is fixed, unlike for the first side.
Starting from just any hole on the flange, I might over- or undershoot when plugging into the key rim hole. I have to pick the right one.
I think it'd become apparenty soon enough but better to try to get it right before starting.
That's what these white paint dots were for, an attempt to pick the right starting hole:

Using the other side as reference, I tried to count holes from 12 o'clock down to where the key spoke should enter, but because the hub was still kinda loose, I wasn't 100% sure.
This is likely easier with 28h or 24h, and even harder to eyeball with 36h.

The first 8 were tricky -- threaded end of spoke goes down through the flange hole, J-bend end facing out.
If you aim the spoke straight down, it's gonna go through a crossing triangle, and then you can't swing it up toward the rim.
If you try to push the spoke at too slanted an angle, the spoke binds in the flange hole.
So I had to push the crossing tip of the triangle inwards toward the flange to achieve close to a vertical path for the spoke to sneak by.
Shoddy illustration:

I suspect if I did the bigger flanger as the 2nd side, this might be less of an issue.
2nd side's first 8 in:

The key spoke ended up though a flange hole marked by a paint dot, so I think I'm on the right track at this point.
This photo is harder to understand than in real life, where depth perception helps determine which side spokes are on.

Ok, last 8 -- don't have the same angling issue because we're poking the spokes up out of traffic.
I think I used the cutouts in the other flange to get good alignment for pushing the spokes through, but don't remember.
If I'd switched which flange I worked on first, I assume the smaller flange would simply not block a straight shot.
All 32 laced:

With one obvious minor issue and one hidden major issue.

Here's the minor issue in detail:

On that last crossing, the highlighted spoke should weave under the crossing spoke. In 3D space, doing this makes both spokes slightly more bent at the crossing.
This more strongly correlates the two spokes' tension effects on the rim, in a positive way, apparently.
I should have read instructions more closely before starting.
To fix this, I unscrewed spokes in pairs (by shared crossing) and weaved one atop the other before reinserting through the rim.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

numberoneposter posted:

lick the cliff shot blocks and stick them to your top tube

I've seen people do this for 60-75min crits and I don't understand it at all.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Cut open a Haribo bag with scissors and put it in a back pocket. Easy one handed snack access.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

You got me on that one. I had very few options in size thirteen that wouldn't take months for the order to fill, so I took what I could. But in hindsight, I might have waited.

Clown Shoe Comparison! Old on the left, new on the right -

Yeah, that's not great.

Walking across my condo in these things is a game of death, hosed up legs or not.

Big Question - Now that I'm on a bike that fits me, which my old one almost certainly did not, I have the ability to not hunch over like a fat bear on a tricycle. But I don't really know what posture I should set my bike up to hit. Any pointers? My only gotcha is my legs will lock up at full extension, so I have to keep my seat a touch lower than normal folks.

After getting on my new stationary, I had one of the best hours I've ever had -

I know that's probably poo poo compared to the real folks, but for me that's a top five hour. I truly think it was the ease of riding this new bike. The old one was like biking through mud. This new one glides through air, even with high resistance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Given that the shoes won't see any really rough terrain, i'd try something like cutting out a bunch of cardboard U's, gluing them together, and gluing them around the cleat, giving you the same raised shape you have on the old shoe. Or using other thicker material that you might have on hand.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Those shoes are designed around the 3 bolt cleats typically used in performance applications and the shoes tend to match that, so you're not really ever "supposed" to be walking around in them.

You can get cleat covers for the 3 bolt type but I don't think those are available for 2 bolt cleats because almost nobody uses them with those shoes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
BRB going to return these to Amazon for literally anything else in a US 13.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

You can get cleat covers for 2 bolt SPD cleats because even when recessed they can gouge floors and cause friction problems on uneven stony terrain.

I had to descend from the top of Mt. Inari barefoot because I was told to climb the torii path behind the Fushimi Inari shrine and I didn't realize it led up a whole-rear end mountain. The climb up was alright, but when going down my cleats loved to slide on the stone steps because despite the treads, there were plenty of uneven stones high enough to engage the metal first.

https://www.amazon.ca/VeloChampion-Rubber-Protection-Prevents-Walking/dp/B08FMSQV27/

Could probably even 3D print something up.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

BRB going to return these to Amazon for literally anything else in a US 13.

these will take an spd cleat and are available in a 13

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/mallet-speedlace-black-white?variant=39315473170528

i have a different crankbros shoe and found their sizing method of measuring your foot in cm then converting to the shoe size was 100% accurate

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

kimbo305 posted:

All 32 laced:

Nice work getting the two spokes closest to the valve mostly parallel so you have plenty of room to get the pump chuck on there. I've had to relace the whole thing before because mine ended up in the tiny triangle between two crossing spokes.

Did you manage to get the hub logo lined up with the valve too? Important for aesthetics and all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ultra people: how many hours do you get out of a pair of bibs/jersey before you swap them during the ride? I’m thinking over a 24-26 hour ride I may want to swap the bibs at around 12 hours, probably do a jersey around the same time. I have some really nice Assos pairs but I’m not sure even those would be good for 24 hours in a row.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spf3million posted:

Did you manage to get the hub logo lined up with the valve too? Important for aesthetics and all.

I didn’t even bother looking if there was a logo on the hub. Maybe if I do a White Industries or something next time.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Captain Log posted:

You got me on that one. I had very few options in size thirteen that wouldn't take months for the order to fill, so I took what I could. But in hindsight, I might have waited.

Clown Shoe Comparison! Old on the left, new on the right -

Yeah, that's not great.

Walking across my condo in these things is a game of death, hosed up legs or not.

Big Question - Now that I'm on a bike that fits me, which my old one almost certainly did not, I have the ability to not hunch over like a fat bear on a tricycle. But I don't really know what posture I should set my bike up to hit. Any pointers? My only gotcha is my legs will lock up at full extension, so I have to keep my seat a touch lower than normal folks.

After getting on my new stationary, I had one of the best hours I've ever had -

I know that's probably poo poo compared to the real folks, but for me that's a top five hour. I truly think it was the ease of riding this new bike. The old one was like biking through mud. This new one glides through air, even with high resistance.
You could try these, I don't think they will protect your floor but you maynot break your neck. I did hear that the rubber bits tend to fall off.
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/comp...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Ultra people: how many hours do you get out of a pair of bibs/jersey before you swap them during the ride? I’m thinking over a 24-26 hour ride I may want to swap the bibs at around 12 hours, probably do a jersey around the same time. I have some really nice Assos pairs but I’m not sure even those would be good for 24 hours in a row.

Like 20 but I’ll reapply some anti-bacterial cream at like 12

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Steve French posted:

I did a 100km mountain bike race in 6 ish hours last weekend on two bottles of skratch super fuel and 4 or 5 bottles of skratch hydration mix. I was pretty pleased with how I felt afterwards, though not how I normally fuel my rides.

I haven’t tried the Super Fuel yet on anything >100km (baby care takes top priority so I won’t be able to test until next year) but it seems to do the trick for any potential stomach issues. It is definitely one of the least sugary drinks I’ve tried; just wish it would come in packs for easier transportation. I suppose the lack of sugar is a big reason why a single ~350cal serving is 7 scoops vs. something like hydration mix being 4 scoops (iirc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

TobinHatesYou posted:

I've seen people do this for 60-75min crits and I don't understand it at all.
i imagine it would be so gross totally covered in sweat and road grit and snot rocket near misses.