Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Country/carrier: USA/T-Mobile
Current contract:not relevant just changing phone
Budget: I don’t know what new phones cost, nothing over $1000
Features: I use my phone very little. In fact only a handful of times a week. My most used apps are the forums reader, DFFOO, maps, notes, discord and the web browser. I doubt my needs will increase with a newer phone.

I’m looking at upgrading because my iPhone 7 battery is on its last legs and it seems to be next up on losing support from apple.

I am os agnostic, and I don’t necessarily need a brand new phone.

numerrik fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iPhone SE or Pixel 4a (or wait and see if a 5a comes out soon)

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Carrier: USA/T-Mobile
Contract: many years' old ONE Plan (2 lines $50/line) month-to-month

Basically I want to switch to Magenta Max to get the 40 GB hot spot. HD Netflix and the "speeds can't slow based on usage" are lesser considerations, but ones that would presumably be nice to have locked in long term.

For 2 lines the base Magenta Max rate is $70/line, for 3 lines it's $57/line.

I just got a new job that will cover my half of the bill, so going up to the more expensive plan isn't as painful as it might otherwise be. I could try to twist the arm of a family member to get to three lines, but it would require some hoops to be jumped (family is all on Verizon).

At the same time, I would like to upgrade my (bad, old LG Stylo) phone right now.

The plan is currently in my partner's name as primary, they have a Pixel 4a which we don't feel any urgency to replace.

My question is: is there any order of operations here that will help me save some money on a new phone in exchange for upgrading the plan?

I have my eye on either a 5G Pixel of some kind, or the Samsung A52. Anything in that sub-premium tier would be OK.

Would it be better to go to AT&T?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Carrier: Google Fi
Contract: month-to-month
Current phone: Pixel 2
Budget: Whatever makes sense

I'm a very low-data usage kind of guy, with most of what I do happening over wi-fi. I'll use at most a few hundred MB of mobile data a month. I've been using Google Fi because it offers me some pretty low monthly bills for my situation ($25 to $30 a month). I haven't really been paying attention to the mobile market over the last few years though. I specifically like how Fi charges me very little when I don't use much, but I can scale up my usage if needed without tripping over bullshit contract clauses and paying out the nose. Are there any other cell services worth considering for low-data usage? I've read some extremely optimistic utopian poo poo a couple years ago about 5G potentially having unlimited total network bandwidth, eliminating monthly caps and driving down the costs to near nothing. But I'm assuming that hasn't happened yet and probably never will, correct? (even if the tech makes it theoretically possible, there's no way any carrier would destroy their own revenue stream by providing such a service)

The other thing I'm wondering about is what to eventually replace my Pixel 2 with. I've been fairly happy with it, but after using it for a while I've come to realize I don't actually need flagship phones. I don't make good use of the camera, and I don't do enough other things on it to justify the $700 I paid for it, honestly. It seems everyone is recommending the Pixel 4a for people who want midrange phones. Are there any other budget android phones worth considering, or is that just the one to get? I also don't need to replace my phone right away, so I can wait to see what the 5a is like first. Are we assuming that will be similarly priced and specced?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've read some extremely optimistic utopian poo poo a couple years ago about 5G potentially having unlimited total network bandwidth, eliminating monthly caps and driving down the costs to near nothing. But I'm assuming that hasn't happened yet and probably never will, correct? (even if the tech makes it theoretically possible, there's no way any carrier would destroy their own revenue stream by providing such a service)

I appreciate the optimism , but you answer your own question on this at the end. No way this will ever happen in the US.

Even outside of lol capitalism stuff, carriers also have to roll out 5G nationwide , which even with some current network swapping and with whatever (usually large) subsidies they get from the government, isn’t cheap. So there’s more to it than just capacity.

But even once the rollout costs are all done years down the road, yeah, there’s no way costs will go down in the US, there aren’t enough competitors.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
What's my best bet on getting an unlocked Pixel 5a as soon as I can? From what I understand it should be becoming available sometime next month and I want to actually get one when it comes out instead of being stuck in the same boat as people are in trying to get playstations/video cards these days.

Also I guess if there's some reason not to buy the 5a, let me know too, I'm currently using a low-end phone (moto e4 plus) and it's driving me crazy so I'm ready to pay some money again.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It hasn't even been announced by Google, so no one knows.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
I'm finally thinking about upgrading from my years-old Galaxy S8.

I think I want to stick with a Galaxy, but I'm kind of waffling between the S10 Plus or the S20 (or S20+/Ultra). The price on a refurbed S10+ is attractive, but I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra money to jump to the S20s camera/5g capabilites.

I'd love some input from anyone who's tried both phones before I pull the trigger on anything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kro-Bar posted:

I'm finally thinking about upgrading from my years-old Galaxy S8.

I think I want to stick with a Galaxy, but I'm kind of waffling between the S10 Plus or the S20 (or S20+/Ultra). The price on a refurbed S10+ is attractive, but I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra money to jump to the S20s camera/5g capabilites.

I'd love some input from anyone who's tried both phones before I pull the trigger on anything.

What carrier are you on ? In the US , there have been some recent promos that they’re offering higher discounts than normal, although it may already be winding down.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Carrier: Verizon
Contract: month-to-month
Current phone: Nexus 5X
Budget: ~$500 but flexible considering the circumstance

My Nexus 5X has finally succumbed to the dreaded boot-loop. I bought the phone unlocked so I'd be looking to do that again. Looking for another android device. I really liked the size of the 5X and the fingerprint sensor but really the main thing I'm looking for is reliability and durability.

edit: and preferably something with a data-port (usb-c) so I can transfer files off and on.

Brutakas fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 24, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Brutakas posted:

My Nexus 5X has finally succumbed to the dreaded boot-loop.

:aaaaa:

Pixel 4a

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Uthor posted:

:aaaaa:

Pixel 4a

Wow, that's a great recommendation. I thought I would have to compromise on a lot of things but it just ticks all my boxes. Thanks a lot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There rumor of a 5a soon, but if you need something ASAP.

The only downside is it's a year old, so a year less updates than new.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hi phone crew! After nearly 7 years of using an iPhone 5C (I know, I know :sweatdrop:) I am in the market for a new smartphone. Here's what I'm looking for:

Contract: Prepaid, no obligations

Budget: €800 max, but preferably closer to €750

Features I know I want: a good photo and video camera is my #1 ask. A big screen is #2. A headphone jack would be nice as well, but I'm willing to give that up if it means accounting for the other two options more easily.

Right now I'm looking at the Xaomi mi 11, which seems pretty good. I'm also considering waiting for the Sony Xperia 5 iii, but I've heard that Xperias have a pretty small screen, plus I'd rather get a new phone ASAP than wait until September. I would prefer not to get an iPhone since I really don't like how limiting iOS is.

Cheers! :)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
what do you mean when you say how limiting? keep in mind xiaomi is not bootloader unlockable automatically, and they will ask you to sign up for their mi cloud account, post on their user community forums for anything from 90 days to a year before they will unlock your device because who knows, and their most expensive phones pretty much ship with spyware and ads in every single part of the launcher and os. can't even go into a folder without getting ads for "games you should install" that looks like they're already in the folder

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Biowarfare posted:

what do you mean when you say how limiting? keep in mind xiaomi is not bootloader unlockable automatically, and they will ask you to sign up for their mi cloud account, post on their user community forums for anything from 90 days to a year before they will unlock your device because who knows, and their most expensive phones pretty much ship with spyware and ads in every single part of the launcher and os. can't even go into a folder without getting ads for "games you should install" that looks like they're already in the folder

I mean things like not being able to access any folders on an iPhone from your desktop except for your photos and not being able to put .mp3s on your phone and play them back through a music app. When I'm using an iphone I feel like I have so little control over it. Are Xiaomi phones the same? :(

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

JordanKai posted:

I mean things like not being able to access any folders on an iPhone from your desktop except for your photos and not being able to put .mp3s on your phone and play them back through a music app. When I'm using an iphone I feel like I have so little control over it. Are Xiaomi phones the same? :(

Ah, so less technical freedom and more I don't want to install itunes? All androids can mount as a USB device fine. I'd still avoid Xiaomi for unremovable ads everywhere though.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

spacejung posted:

Carrier: USA/T-Mobile
Contract: many years' old ONE Plan (2 lines $50/line) month-to-month

Basically I want to switch to Magenta Max to get the 40 GB hot spot. HD Netflix and the "speeds can't slow based on usage" are lesser considerations, but ones that would presumably be nice to have locked in long term.

For 2 lines the base Magenta Max rate is $70/line, for 3 lines it's $57/line.

I just got a new job that will cover my half of the bill, so going up to the more expensive plan isn't as painful as it might otherwise be. I could try to twist the arm of a family member to get to three lines, but it would require some hoops to be jumped (family is all on Verizon).

At the same time, I would like to upgrade my (bad, old LG Stylo) phone right now.

The plan is currently in my partner's name as primary, they have a Pixel 4a which we don't feel any urgency to replace.

My question is: is there any order of operations here that will help me save some money on a new phone in exchange for upgrading the plan?

I have my eye on either a 5G Pixel of some kind, or the Samsung A52. Anything in that sub-premium tier would be OK.

Would it be better to go to AT&T?

Just to put a coda on this, I went to AT&T and got a $250 credit x2 (for both lines) applied in $25x2 per month increments.

Still waiting for a break on the Pixel 4a or another good phone to pounce on.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is Mint just pay as you go for international plans (when you're in another country)? There's no Mint thread right?

Gonna switch from AT&T because they're blocking any phone that isn't on their allowed list which is really lame :( I don't have any other questions right now though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm about to bite the bullet and get a pixel 4a. I loved the 3a but it died twice so I'm just going to hope and pray the 4a has better longevity.

Is there a reliable water/mud/dustproof cover for the 4a?

I need to use my phone for fieldwork, often in the rain/snow/mud etc. Fully waterproof might be a big ask but heavy splashproof would be acceptable.

Is it worth waiting another month or two for the pixel 5a to drop and 4a prices to come down?

Also, it's been done to death but aside from faster data is there any reason to have a 5g phone in the next 5 years? It looks like 4g will be supported for the expected lifespan of a phone these days.

4a (without 5g): $479
4a (with 5g): $679
5 (with 5g): $799

Paying an extra $200/30% for 5g seems a bit much if I can get away with 4g for the next 3-5 years.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

JordanKai posted:

Not trying to proselytize but it's not terribly hard to use iTunes to load mp3s onto an iPhone. It's not a great experience and back when I had an android it was easier/better. There is a file manager of sorts now in iOS but it's fairly useless in my experience.

And yeah the fine control you get using an alternate launcher like Nova is really missing in iOS. :(

It's a tradeoff for sure.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
my answer for all 5g questions is nearly always:

- do you need it? do you live somewhere where there is only available 5g band and you get almost no service on 3/4/lte?
- do you have a plan that is capable of supporting it? or will you just blow through your cap (including unlimited US bullshit) and be throttled within an hour?
- do you bother using wifi?

in the incredibly rare case that you get excellent 5g service, don't use wifi/have a reason like specifically using a separate network for testing or development work, use and need large amounts of data, have a plan that is capable of doing so, have a device that is sufficiently sized for more data, like there is no point trying to stream 1440p60 youtube on a 5 inch screen...

IME most carriers apply the same data saving throttling anyway, so even if your phone connects at 5G to a 5G tower, twitch will still be capped to 2 mbps, youtube will still be capped to 2mbps

Impotence fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 27, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Outrail posted:

I'm about to bite the bullet and get a pixel 4a. I loved the 3a but it died twice so I'm just going to hope and pray the 4a has better longevity.

Is there a reliable water/mud/dustproof cover for the 4a?

I need to use my phone for fieldwork, often in the rain/snow/mud etc. Fully waterproof might be a big ask but heavy splashproof would be acceptable.

Is it worth waiting another month or two for the pixel 5a to drop and 4a prices to come down?

Also, it's been done to death but aside from faster data is there any reason to have a 5g phone in the next 5 years? It looks like 4g will be supported for the expected lifespan of a phone these days.

4a (without 5g): $479
4a (with 5g): $679
5 (with 5g): $799

Paying an extra $200/30% for 5g seems a bit much if I can get away with 4g for the next 3-5 years.

The 4a and 4a 5G are quite different phones. The 4a 5G is bigger, has a wide angle lens, a bigger battery, and a slightly better processor. I would argue it isn't worth the extra money still, but if you want a bigger phone, for example, you might disagree.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Me and Mrs Pershing are on Verizon. We pay about $89/month for unlimited calling and 1GB of data (we use WiFi most of the time). We're both on Motorola G6s. It's about time for Pershing Jr. to get a phone. Looking for device and plan recommendations. Would prefer to stay Verizon but can change for the right deal.

e: don't know if it matters but I'm a Costco member.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pershing posted:

Me and Mrs Pershing are on Verizon. We pay about $89/month for unlimited calling and 1GB of data (we use WiFi most of the time). We're both on Motorola G6s. It's about time for Pershing Jr. to get a phone. Looking for device and plan recommendations. Would prefer to stay Verizon but can change for the right deal.

e: don't know if it matters but I'm a Costco member.

Well, the big question is whether you are staying on that 1GB plan with adding a kid on. It’s $20 a month to add a line, just 1GB is nothing to a kid.

Verizon may have an offer of a loyalty unlimited plan. No way to know without checking since it’s account specific, but I’ve seen it when someone has an older plan. That plan *can possibly * be as low as $110 before tax for 3 lines, if you both qualify and have autopay with a checking account turned on.

Mileage will def vary on that one. I work / sell for them, so if you want me to check for you feel free to PM.

If you do the unlimited plan they’ll give you the S20 FE for free over 2 years, which IMO is a no brainer, and if you don’t want your kid to have an expensive phone, one of you use it and give him one of the Motos.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

sourdough posted:

The 4a and 4a 5G are quite different phones. The 4a 5G is bigger, has a wide angle lens, a bigger battery, and a slightly better processor. I would argue it isn't worth the extra money still, but if you want a bigger phone, for example, you might disagree.

I really hate technology naming conventions!

The bigger battery is a selling point, bit yeah not sure if it's worth that much to me.

If I could find an integrated battery pack/water proof cover I'd jump on the 4a on a second.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Outrail posted:

I really hate technology naming conventions!

The bigger battery is a selling point, bit yeah not sure if it's worth that much to me.

If I could find an integrated battery pack/water proof cover I'd jump on the 4a on a second.

Good news and bad news, I guess. The 4a 5G seems to have been pulled to prepare for the 5a rollout.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BrainParasite posted:

Good news and bad news, I guess. The 4a 5G seems to have been pulled to prepare for the 5a rollout.

Sweet gently caress the tyranny of choice and decision paralysis. 4a it is

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Country/Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Provider: AT&T
Current contract status: No contract!
Current phone: iPhone XS
Budget: Less than $82.72/month (current plan)
Features I know I want:
I just want to pay less than the $82.72/month i'm paying AT&T now, which is probably way too much.
Here's my current plan:
code:
Nation 450 with Rollover - $39.99
DataPro 2GB for iPhone on 4G LTE with Visual Voicemail - $25.00
Messaging 200 - $5
Fees - $12.73
Total: $82.72/month
I don't really use data or minutes very much since I'm almost always home. Based on what i've read I could probably get away with Mint's $15/month plan using my existing iPhone XS and save a ton of money. Anyone in/near Portland know if it's ok out here? Is the process getting away from AT&T going to be a nightmare?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

frogbs posted:

Country/Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Provider: AT&T
Current contract status: No contract!
Current phone: iPhone XS
Budget: Less than $82.72/month (current plan)
Features I know I want:
I just want to pay less than the $82.72/month i'm paying AT&T now, which is probably way too much.
Here's my current plan:
code:
Nation 450 with Rollover - $39.99
DataPro 2GB for iPhone on 4G LTE with Visual Voicemail - $25.00
Messaging 200 - $5
Fees - $12.73
Total: $82.72/month
I don't really use data or minutes very much since I'm almost always home. Based on what i've read I could probably get away with Mint's $15/month plan using my existing iPhone XS and save a ton of money. Anyone in/near Portland know if it's ok out here? Is the process getting away from AT&T going to be a nightmare?

Have you looked at the GoPhone plans at ATT? I pay like $35 a month for unlimited talk/text and 5gb of data.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Anyone have experience with Spectrum Mobile? It's available in my area and I'm already a Spectrum customer, so it's an option, and it's cheaper than my current T-Mobile plan, which makes it an attractive option. Reviews seem to say that it's pretty good as far as resellers go. Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrianRx posted:

Anyone have experience with Spectrum Mobile? It's available in my area and I'm already a Spectrum customer, so it's an option, and it's cheaper than my current T-Mobile plan, which makes it an attractive option. Reviews seem to say that it's pretty good as far as resellers go. Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Mostly spectrum subsidizes it so you stay with their internet service. Otherwise , it has a slightly lower data priority than Verizon customers , but most say it’s fine.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Crossposted from the Android thread: How soon can I expect the price on the Pixel 5 to drop and by how much? My Pixel XL just hard locked and boot looped, requiring a factory reset last week. This week it's stuttering while trying to complete normal tasks. I can get a refurb Pixel 3 ($279) or Pixel 4a non-5g ($349) now so I'm not without a phone when the XL finally shits the bed or I can take a chance on waiting for the 5 to drop in price. I bought the XL when the 2 came out so I definitely would like to get as much future as I can get away with out of my next phone. I'm on Fi and not looking to switch any time soon. I'm willing to pay let's say <$600ish but I'll have regrets if I buy a 5 now and it drops by $100 in a month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

voodoorootbeer posted:

Crossposted from the Android thread: How soon can I expect the price on the Pixel 5 to drop and by how much? My Pixel XL just hard locked and boot looped, requiring a factory reset last week. This week it's stuttering while trying to complete normal tasks. I can get a refurb Pixel 3 ($279) or Pixel 4a non-5g ($349) now so I'm not without a phone when the XL finally shits the bed or I can take a chance on waiting for the 5 to drop in price. I bought the XL when the 2 came out so I definitely would like to get as much future as I can get away with out of my next phone. I'm on Fi and not looking to switch any time soon. I'm willing to pay let's say <$600ish but I'll have regrets if I buy a 5 now and it drops by $100 in a month.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/2/22605094/google-pixel-6-pro-tensor-processor-specs-ai-ml

Apparently the 6 is this fall, so September or October.

It looks like the phone is gonna be $700-1,000 for the 6, whether you’re willing to spend that is obviously your call.

Def unknown when or if the 5 goes down in price. It probably will, but you never know. To a point, I absolutely get wanting to save say, $100. That said, just factor in time and convenience as it’s own value. Sometimes technology just shuts the bed at the wrong time. Worst case, if you can’t “hold out” until the pixel 5 drops in price , $100 one time cost to have a usable phone earlier than you are looking for isn’t the end of the world. It’s pretty hard to go day by day, let alone a month, without a phone. And buying a refurb to get you through is fine, but that’s a lot of switching phones to save $100.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Mostly spectrum subsidizes it so you stay with their internet service. Otherwise , it has a slightly lower data priority than Verizon customers , but most say it’s fine.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I live in an apartment and it did occur to me that it would be a pain in the rear end to change mobile providers on top of everything else the next time I move. Looking at everything together, I'd only be saving about $10/month so I'm not sure the extra $120/year in my pocket would be worth the hassle.

Thanks for the info.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

voodoorootbeer posted:

A leak today indicates the 5a is coming in a few weeks for $450, and it looks extremely similar to the 5 spec-wise without wireless charging and presumably a handful of other QoL features missing. https://www.frontpagetech.com/2021/08/05/exclusive-google-pixel-5a-launching-later-this-month-at-450-full-specs/

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Thanks folks, that might have made my choice for me.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A leak today indicates the 5a is coming in a few weeks for $450, and it looks extremely similar to the 5 spec-wise without wireless charging and presumably a handful of other QoL features missing. https://www.frontpagetech.com/2021/08/05/exclusive-google-pixel-5a-launching-later-this-month-at-450-full-specs/

Swish. I'm gonna wait it out and get one of these instead of the 4a

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I'm with Sprint (no contract, month to month) and I'm confused about the merger with T-Mobile. I want to replace my dying iPhone with a (probably refurbished so it's cheaper) unlocked phone of some kind but I'm not sure what compatibility I should be looking for, as Sprint is CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM.

The change-over is still in process so...if I get a GSM phone will it work yet? Or do I need to get a CDMA phone that will just stop working in a year when the change over is done? I tried asking Sprint customer service but they had no idea what I was talking about. It's possible that I'm the idiot here but Sprint people are often confused.

I'd like to just get a cheap Samsung Galaxy A11 for example, if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I was under the impression that it's all LTE at this point and that no CDMA onboards have been done in years, for both Sprint and Verizon