Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I lost all my milestones and my slayer club thing was reset to level 1 on series x. So I have everything done on all the levels but it won’t let me do the Master levels :(

Put a support ticket in. It's pretty easy to verify if it's a bug or let you know if there's account shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

I think part of it is just increased expectations for Eternal. Remember that before Doom 2016 came out that id's previous games were Doom 3 and Rage, both of which are mediocre at best and are mostly tech demos. Nobody expected this long awaited perpetually in development hell game to be any good. gently caress, we didn't even get a good look at it until Nvidia did a video showcase of their Vulkan tech with it. Bethesda thought the best way to market it was through its multiplayer :laffo: Compare that to Eternal after Doom 2016 exceeds everybody's extremely low expectations.

That said I do agree with some of the negative sentiment around Eternal. I definitely got what id was going for with the combat loops but it feels exhausting to keep up. There's a fine line between "doing this loop properly means you're kicking the game's rear end" and "this is the only way to play, you are punished with death otherwise" and more times than not Eternal falls on the latter. Like, would it really kill the game if I could carry more than 24 shotgun shells? I marathoned Doom 2016 on UV and the game left me wanting more; Eternal was a slog that took me 6 months to finish and I don't think I want more of it if the extra content is "Eternal but even more ball bustingly difficult" which is why I haven't touched TAG or the master levels yet.

Oh, and gently caress the platforming. Absolutely the worst part of Eternal, to double down on shitloads of platforming.

I never really felt that Eternal punished you super hard for not 'doing the loop'. This is my first time through on UV and I've done fine just pulling out whatever the hell I can and making the most out of it. Having ways to heal myself in various forms mid-battle to save my life is really fun and exciting. Doom 2016 just felt so slow and boring and I couldn't actually bother finishing it because it lacked the zest that Eternal brought.

I was surprised that I didn't have near the trouble with a Marauder that I thought I would after hearing all the complaints with them. I totally blanked on how to fight them and managed to just get through on Super Shotgunning him every time he made a move.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doom Eternal has a combat loop, but the tools for said loop are whatever the player has at hand

Marauders, Spirits, Stone Imps, Cursed Prowlers, and Turrets are there to break that loop and it's the player's job to adapt their strategy and priorities accordingly

Adapt, improvise, overcome

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I finished Eternal and it was alright but then I got the DLC's and I just found myself so bored. I haven't finished them.

I'm one of the people who liked the "story" of Doom 2016, what little of it there was, so I was really looking forward to more meat on the story-bones in Eternal. But the story is so disjointed and completely uninteresting in Eternal that despite there being "more" story developments it all just sucked so much rear end and left me feeling less interested in the world of Doom than ever

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 14, 2021

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Finished Eternal. The Icon of Sin fight was pretty cool except it crashed my Series X the first time through.

I really liked the improved movement mechanics (especially the meathook), but the platforming sections were pretty annoying and felt like padding to me.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I finished Eternal and it was alright but then I got the DLC's and I just found myself so bored. I haven't finished them.

I'm one of the people who liked the "story" of Doom 2016, what little of it there was, so I was really looking forward to more meat on the story-bones in Eternal. But the story is so disjointed and completely uninteresting in Eternal that despite there being "more" story developments it all just sucked so much rear end and left me feeling less interested in the world of Doom than ever

It really feels like theres a missing game between the two.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Okan170 posted:

It really feels like theres a missing game between the two.

Absolutely

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zzulu posted:

:agreed:

Doom Eternal should have been a Quake 1 soft reboot, then it'd be completely perfect

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I gotta say, as an Official Doom Fan and Eternal Champion, I didn’t have any issues with DLC2’s final boss fight on a mechanical level, but really wasn’t thrilled with who/what the boss turned out to be aesthetically.

Given how the whole game + DLC ended, I am curious where the series goes from here, however.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Given how the whole game + DLC ended, I am curious where the series goes from here, however.

Given how they completely ignored how 2016 ended when writing Eternal, it can go wherever they want regardless of whether it flows or makes sense apparently

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hayden and VEGA deserved so much better :(

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've beaten the game on UV and I'm trying to get good at Nightmare but I suck so much. The part I'm really stuck on is in Arc Complex, where you're fighting in the restaurant or whatever with the Berserk powerup. Spent an hour playing it over and over again and dang it is hard as hell. I'm pretty sure the way to win is to move a lot and efficiently kill all the enemies but those snakes get me again and again.

On speedruns I see that there's a way to skip the animation where you pick up a toy or album. What do I press for that?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Weapon swap or mod swap key at the same time you walk over the collectible. Just he careful because sometimes this can cause a bug where you lose your weapon and are defenseless.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
if you're having a rough time in the restaurant with the snakes, try and stick it out until they spawn and then use the berserk on them

you can also play from the kitchen as long as you know that a pinky will spawn in one side and a mancubus will spawn in the other. much more compact and easy to defend from, and you can poke out into the rest of the arena using the broken walls and the portal

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've beaten the game on UV and I'm trying to get good at Nightmare but I suck so much. The part I'm really stuck on is in Arc Complex, where you're fighting in the restaurant or whatever with the Berserk powerup. Spent an hour playing it over and over again and dang it is hard as hell. I'm pretty sure the way to win is to move a lot and efficiently kill all the enemies but those snakes get me again and again.

On speedruns I see that there's a way to skip the animation where you pick up a toy or album. What do I press for that?
The two big things that really affected how well I play was quickswapping and using the grenades.

Spend like 15 minutes trying out different keybinds for quickswapping to different guns and especially the supershotgun + ballista combo. Put the keys where they are the easiest to hit even when panicking. The aim is to get a reliable high damage combo that is instinctive.

Then just practice using both of the grenades all the time. It's better to use a nade even if it's not optimal than to look around for the perfect ice grenade for the whole encounter.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah I question the call to make Hayden and Vega Jack Kirby style space gods. They worked better as an idiot capitalist and AI who earned their humanity respectively.

That being said who ever did the animations for the DOOM Slayer and how they conveyed the character through his movements, cocking his shot gun at the hell priests and just ripping Hayden out of the pod at the ARC, nailed the character.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 21, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JOHN SKELETON posted:

It's better to use a nade even if it's not optimal than to look around for the perfect ice grenade for the whole encounter.

i want to emphasize this very good point as a big part of why i take umbrage at the "cooldown management" criticism of this game. being fixated on banking your grenades or whatever for the Perfect Moment is, imo, the biggest mistake you can make because eternal is generous at giving you plenty of options (once your toolbox is mostly complete) for tackling enemies, and worst case scenario you can always just book it away from them and reorient for your counterattack. you dont need to freeze cybermancs every single time, you dont need to bloodpunch pinkies/specters every single time, you dont need to feed cacos bombs every time; there's so many factors in play that you can always make up for "inefficiency" in your playstyle using mobility or aim or whatever

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
A nice little DLC that covers DOOM ending -> Eternal start would be great.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the issue is many of the continuous players and speedrunners don't care about the story. It's all about gameplay and they have heard the story a million times anyway so they were always going to be bored of it. One of the most asked-for changes besides the blood punch missing for no reason, was skipping a lot of the smaller cutscenes (like getting suit upgrades).

The story is superfluous to a lot of people and intrusive to many. This fits with the original DOOM games but obviously didn't do 2016 justice (and one of the most asked for changes in 2016 was the ability to skip cutscenes).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

JOHN SKELETON posted:

The two big things that really affected how well I play was quickswapping and using the grenades.

Spend like 15 minutes trying out different keybinds for quickswapping to different guns and especially the supershotgun + ballista combo. Put the keys where they are the easiest to hit even when panicking. The aim is to get a reliable high damage combo that is instinctive.

Then just practice using both of the grenades all the time. It's better to use a nade even if it's not optimal than to look around for the perfect ice grenade for the whole encounter.

I'm definitely making it harder on myself by playing with an Xbox controller on PC, but I think I'm going to stick with it instead of M+K. It's not perfect (in particular, switching grenades is a very silly feature) but I have been practicing quickswaps to the ballista whenever I need to land another blow.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I honestly think they got angry people figured out that S. Hayden was gonna be the big bad so they pivoted even though it made no fuckin' sense.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
But I mean, S. Hayden? It's so subtle, I'm surprised anyone got it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i don't get it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Shayden, or Shading, one of the archdemons from a dungeons and dragons game Hugo played with Romero

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It sounds like "Satan" when spoken with slurred speech. Not really the most obvious but kind of eyerolly.

Edit: if the above is true then I am not sure if it is better or worse

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Vince MechMahon posted:

I honestly think they got angry people figured out that S. Hayden was gonna be the big bad so they pivoted even though it made no fuckin' sense.

I think anyone who believes Hayden was going to be the big bad wasn't paying attention to the story in 2016.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There was a change between games. 2016 vodex entries state that Hell is ruled by "the current dark lord", with the implication that there has been a line of succession, probably because DoomGuy keeps killing them. Then Eternal made it so that the Dark Lord was always one being from the very start and has just been immaterial the whole while.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

DatonKallandor posted:

I think anyone who believes Hayden was going to be the big bad wasn't paying attention to the story in 2016.

2016 ends with Hayden directly betraying the player and a cliffhanger painting him as a primary antagonist. The entire story also paints him as two steps away from becoming Olivia. :shrug:

Sure with Post-Eternal story direction we can see what Hayden was really all about(and a lot got retconned) but at the time you were reluctantly working(enthusiastically killing demons tho) with a guy arrogant enough to harness hell energy(would 2016 Hayden not be smart enough to deduce they're souls?) and brush off 60,000 deaths as "the price of progress" while trying to guide you to clean up his mess, preserve his equipment so he can do it again and maybe even cover up his mistakes(i.e. deleting Vega.) Hayden wouldn't necessarily be the Big Bad but I felt very strongly we were owed kicking his rear end as the #2 to A Really Big Demon.

"I am not the villain here, I am doing what I must" was another flavor of Olivia's self-serving justifications, not a literal "I'm a timeless angel following an ancient prophecy I can't tell you about."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 22, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
2016 Hayden was a "with guys like this on our side, do we really need a Satan/Hell?" guy. Eternal Hayden was someone's "but what if he was secretly an angel the whole time??" fanfic.net level interpretation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
From the Gundam thread:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Doomykins posted:

2016 ends with Hayden directly betraying the player and a cliffhanger painting him as a primary antagonist. The entire story also paints him as two steps away from becoming Olivia. :shrug:

Sure with Post-Eternal story direction we can see what Hayden was really all about(and a lot got retconned) but at the time you were reluctantly working(enthusiastically killing demons tho) with a guy arrogant enough to harness hell energy(would 2016 Hayden not be smart enough to deduce they're souls?) and brush off 60,000 deaths as "the price of progress" while trying to guide you to clean up his mess, preserve his equipment so he can do it again and maybe even cover up his mistakes(i.e. deleting Vega.) Hayden wouldn't necessarily be the Big Bad but I felt very strongly we were owed kicking his rear end as the #2 to A Really Big Demon.

"I am not the villain here, I am doing what I must" was another flavor of Olivia's self-serving justifications, not a literal "I'm a timeless angel following an ancient prophecy I can't tell you about."

2016 Hayden is a well-meaning pragmatist, not "literal Satan in disguise". That's his whole thing. He wants to be the 3 meter tall John Halo who saves the whole human race but he's smart enough to know that actually doing it isn't going to be a clean process and also knows that Doomguy would never let him. But he also isn't dumb enough to not keep him around in case things get out of hand. The fact that he wasn't a cackling cartoon villain is what made him such a breath of fresh air.

Turning him into an immortal angel was one of many really dumb retcons in Eternal.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 22, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DatonKallandor posted:

2016 Hayden is a well-meaning pragmatist

The road to hell is paved .... with argent energy!

Yeah if anything I'm pretty sure any similarities between S. Hayden and Satan were meant to be thematic and not literal

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

2016 Hayden is a well-meaning pragmatist, not "literal Satan in disguise". That's his whole thing. He wants to be the 3 meter tall John Halo who saves the whole human race but he's smart enough to know that actually doing it isn't going to be a clean process and also knows that Doomguy would never let him. But he also isn't dumb enough to not keep him around in case things get out of hand. The fact that he wasn't a cackling cartoon villain is what made him such a breath of fresh air.

Turning him into an immortal angel was one of many really dumb retcons in Eternal.

I agree. I wouldn't want Hayden to be literally Satan but a human who damns himself because "this is what MUST be done" is cool stuff. Hayden 2016 clearly had enormous pride, a classic sin and motivation, but he was also a once in a generation super genius. There was an unspoken flaw to Doom Guy smashing the argent energy devices: Hayden was actually right that he'd solved Earth's energy crisis and the Argent was still needed. It'd be some tragic poo poo if Doom Guy stops the invasion of Hell just to look back to Earth tearing itself in half in an eruption of warfare. A cool backdrop to a Doom 2016 Part Two where Hayden is the initial antagonist, Hell comes back in and maybe props him or other human factions up with demons and awful cyborg monsters to fight.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The road to hell is paved .... with argent energy!

Yeah if anything I'm pretty sure any similarities between S. Hayden and Satan were meant to be thematic and not literal

Well we also have Doom 3’s villain, Dr. Betruger; “Betruger” being German for “betrayer” and directly inspired by Der Bobbum Man, a nasty old man from folklore who would trap children’s souls in locks of hair and defile bobbums.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doomykins posted:

I agree. I wouldn't want Hayden to be literally Satan but a human who damns himself because "this is what MUST be done" is cool stuff. Hayden 2016 clearly had enormous pride, a classic sin and motivation, but he was also a once in a generation super genius. There was an unspoken flaw to Doom Guy smashing the argent energy devices: Hayden was actually right that he'd solved Earth's energy crisis and the Argent was still needed. It'd be some tragic poo poo if Doom Guy stops the invasion of Hell just to look back to Earth tearing itself in half in an eruption of warfare. A cool backdrop to a Doom 2016 Part Two where Hayden is the initial antagonist, Hell comes back in and maybe props him or other human factions up with demons and awful cyborg monsters to fight.

But the problem with hell energy is that is comes from hell, which as you see in 2016 has some consequences

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

multijoe posted:

But the problem with hell energy is that is comes from hell, which as you see in 2016 has some consequences

Well no, that's only a problem if the demonic presence reaches unsafe levels. The actual problem with hell energy is that it comes from torturing souls, which most non-capitalists would find morally questionable, but we didn't know that in 2016.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mymla posted:

Well no, that's only a problem if the demonic presence reaches unsafe levels. The actual problem with hell energy is that it comes from torturing souls, which most non-capitalists would find morally questionable, but we didn't know that in 2016.

Well yeah but it was always going to reach unsafe levels. Even if Olivia wasn't there to flip the obvious implication is that sooner or later the demons would find some way to slip the leash, if you're constantly opening portals to hell, delivering demonic artifacts to earth and allowing hell culture to propagate among your company sooner or later something is going to go wrong

And that's what made Hayden a good villain in 2016, he's a reasonably smart guy who thinks he's a hard headed pragmatist but he's still nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is and his fixation on being Science King who must personally save humanity blinds him to the inevitable consequences of trying to make a deal with devils

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

multijoe posted:

And that's what made Hayden a good villain in 2016, he's a reasonably smart guy who thinks he's a hard headed pragmatist but he's still nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is and his fixation on being Science King who must personally save humanity blinds him to the inevitable consequences of trying to make a deal with devils

I love Hayden’s constant refrain that things just got a little out of hand while you’re confronted by the increasingly unhinged holograms and rituals. Big corporate VP energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I like 2016 storytelling so much. :allears:

multijoe posted:

Of course. An energy crisis on Earth reaching peak resource war seemed inevitable without it is my point.