Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

One thing I super don't like is that if you had a female special crew member as your commander, they just become an advisor now, and the replacement you get is just ... some dude. There's no practical way of keeping the female voice over, as far as I can see?

Also,

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/updates/1-14-field-modification-ct/

They're just loving ramming the universally panned field modifications through. Again literally claiming "70% of feedback was positive". Yeah, I'm sure.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Field mod changes look pretty good, the min/maxing got narrowed a bit and some of the more egregious buffs were removed. Still don't understand why tier 6/7 don't get the third mod while having to play against 8/9/10s that do get it. Only way that makes sense is if they are planning a huge change to the mm (segmenting 5/6/7 and 8/9/10). Otherwise I think it's a good addition. Of course Dez will put out a video tomorrow that reveals some balancing issue so my positivity is pending more cc testing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's still the big central problem that everything is too god drat expensive by far, and also this will just widen the gulf between F2P players/new players and players with loaded accounts.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

One thing I super don't like is that if you had a female special crew member as your commander, they just become an advisor now, and the replacement you get is just ... some dude. There's no practical way of keeping the female voice over, as far as I can see?

Also,

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/updates/1-14-field-modification-ct/

They're just loving ramming the universally panned field modifications through. Again literally claiming "70% of feedback was positive". Yeah, I'm sure.

From the crews I've converted it appears to average the gender of your crew to decide whether you get a dude or lady commander.

Santa commanding all ladies gave me a female commander for example.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Captain Blaargh posted:

From the crews I've converted it appears to average the gender of your crew to decide whether you get a dude or lady commander.

Santa commanding all ladies gave me a female commander for example.

Huh, that was not my experience. I have an all-female crew on my French light tanks and it gave me some random dude. Three ladies and one guy on my Czech mediums, dude.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Of *course* the final offer is cash only, for the GSOR.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
A Tier X 3D skin for the ST-II? Don't mind if I yoink that up.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Just loving lol.

Getting to crew level 80 with the new system is 6,75 million crew XP total. That's a bit much but OK.

But then you have the prestige levels where you can grind a level 80 crew to get a total of "+15% vehicle handling". What is "vehicle handling"? It's what they call the Vents effect. Vents give you +5% "vehicle handling", ie. make everything 5% better. These prestige levels make everything +15% better.

Oh boy, so how much XP do you need to get that permanent triple vents on that crew? 60,5 million XP.

Nobody is going to grind that, but some people are definitely going going to pay the ~1300 quid to get that crew.

Here's Quickybaby on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhHd07vH04o&t=1134s

The whole video is a pro watch but this is just greed beyond the pale.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 24, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, again - this was planned. They weren't giving away all those "free crewmembers" over the past few years out of the kindness of their heart.

70% of WG's stakeholders agree this is a FANTASTIC idea.

Crew 2.0 would be fine if you could:
1) Mulch "useless" crews into one good crew per tank type per nation,
2) Be able to use those crews in other tanks even after dying. I mean, locking the *tank* until the match is over I can understand, but locking the crew? :hmmno:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 24, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, again - this was planned.

Oh yes I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that this is shamelessly greedy even for WG. The current level 80 XP cap is so high that most players who've played a lot since the game came out won't have any level 80 crews, or one or two at the most. And then 10x more on top of that in a blatant free XP conversion money grab to give your tracks permanent triple vents? gently caress you, WG. gently caress you.

I would hope the community won't stand for this, but the players who just go on the sandbox to shoot gold in T10s they'll otherwise never get will just click "yeah it's awesome man" on the survey. I mean, if we're pretending WG even give a poo poo about what the community says.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So yeah... Skills 2.0 opens the door for some crazy poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7amZ_-A7lc

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Just let it happen dudes, don't resist.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Just let it happen dudes, don't resist.

SerB wants his moon base.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Hookers, cocaine, and moonbases must flow. This is the way.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

No one playing arty / when someone plays arty it is just one player tossing noodles at me is loving amazing. Game super loving bad but also good now?

ugh after posting this immediately got a 3 arty game.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit
The Tier 6 SPG, the mighty tea truck Fv304, continues to be the most fun tank in this game. Screenshot isnt including the SU-8 I also killed

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

2) Be able to use those crews in other tanks even after dying. I mean, locking the *tank* until the match is over I can understand, but locking the crew? :hmmno:

Wait, if locking a destroyed pixel tank for the duration of its battle is fine, why would locking the pixel crew be any different? Where do you think the imaginary crew is, if not in the imaginary tank that's destroyed in the middle of a video game battle?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Wait, if locking a destroyed pixel tank for the duration of its battle is fine, why would locking the pixel crew be any different? Where do you think the imaginary crew is, if not in the imaginary tank that's destroyed in the middle of a video game battle?

The sound file (at least one of them) when you're destroyed literally says "we've had it, everyone get out."

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
A verisimilitude argument?! In MY world of tanks?! (it's more likely than you think)

Sair
May 11, 2007

US Foreign Policy posted:

The Tier 6 SPG, the mighty tea truck Fv304, continues to be the most fun tank in this game. Screenshot isnt including the SU-8 I also killed

I used to love that thing, but I feel like I can't get much done with it anymore.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit

Sair posted:

I used to love that thing, but I feel like I can't get much done with it anymore.

The key is to make the short range work for you. Drive straight up to obstacles and push up as much as you can. I usually get out ahead of our own brawlers to get in place, and most games begin with the team thinking I am on a suicide charge.

I wish it could be tracked as well, but in the same game I probably 'absorbed' about a dozen counter-battery shots to no affect. Who gives a flying poo poo if they can see my shot trails, or even if I get spotted? The FV304 can just park under heavy cover, or move up to a mid-field obstacle that the enemy SPG's don't have any kind of line on.

It's fast as hell, and tiny, and you can exploit cover that nobody else really can - like just being behind a small hill that prevents line of sight or plunging fire from SPGs. Move way further up field than you'd ever think reasonable, and do it early. A fully aimed shot is about half the width of a KV-1, allowing you to blow ammo racks or start fires a lot more often than seems fair. There's even value to just forcing the enemy brawlers to expend their repair/medkits from a quick shot or two before they can engage, or rapidly switch between targets to keep them pushed behind cover. The new mini-map alerts from SPG fire works great as a way to convince someone to stay behind cover even if you can't actually hit them, and break up an enemy charge or pin down a TD. The ridiculous reload speed means I can often throw 25-30 shots per game, so go ham with it

Go after brawlers. Anything of the KV- series or Japanese heavy I can shred at my leisure. I might only do 150 or so damage on an average shot, but with a 7 sec reload I can stack on critical hits, or blow enemy tracks faster than they can repair them. It very much feels like a SUPPORT tank, rather than a big number TD-killer. Getting up close to where I can have a 1-1.5sec flight time is close enough to gently caress up Mediums trying to peek-and-boom. Purposely targetting at the edge of your range also lets you exploit the ridiculous arc to the fullest, and can hit brawlers who are humping an obstacle just as hard as you are.

It's also a backup spotter in a pinch. Late game I will often just rush the back line to kill the enemy SPG's with a point blank shot, or go try to flank the survivors to provide spotting in an unexpected way.

Tl;dr you don't play the Fv304 like any other SPG, and that's why its the best

US Foreign Policy fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 26, 2021

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Lmfao

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The sound file (at least one of them) when you're destroyed literally says "we've had it, everyone get out."

That doesn't even matter, this is just a stupid game. I'm not arguing for locking the tank or crew, by the way; in fact I'd prefer neither, but it just doesn't make sense for them to be handled differently. If the tank blew up then the crew inside is all dead, so you have to wait until the end of the battle to use them again after they magically come back to life, or, you can launch another battle with them immediately because they're pixel tanks/crews and they're not really dead/'sploded. :ssh:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You should have to rebuy your tanks for full credit price when destroyed.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

BadLlama posted:

You should have to rebuy your tanks for full credit price when destroyed.

The Eve online approach. Smart.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Just loving lol.

Getting to crew level 80 with the new system is 6,75 million crew XP total. That's a bit much but OK.

But then you have the prestige levels where you can grind a level 80 crew to get a total of "+15% vehicle handling". What is "vehicle handling"? It's what they call the Vents effect. Vents give you +5% "vehicle handling", ie. make everything 5% better. These prestige levels make everything +15% better.

Oh boy, so how much XP do you need to get that permanent triple vents on that crew? 60,5 million XP.

Nobody is going to grind that, but some people are definitely going going to pay the ~1300 quid to get that crew.

Here's Quickybaby on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhHd07vH04o&t=1134s

The whole video is a pro watch but this is just greed beyond the pale.

Again, the prestige levels are almost exactly what they tried to do for WoWS. Everyone hated it and they aborted it before going live and instead just turned it into a new currently to buy different ships and special upgrades. It's amazing that WoT is trying to do it again.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The Eve online approach. Smart.

Premium account provides 60% insurance.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/wGEPXRn.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Kiwh3Un.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/XSiafvU.mp4

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
whaaaaaaat lmao that last roll

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The main designer of Crew 2.0 accidentally said the quiet part loud

quote:

On the same note of instructors being reset, they want instructors to be a valuable resource in short supply, so they might not end up adding the instructor reset to the game, and if they do it will have a fee. They don't want everyone to have an abundance of instructors at the start of crew 2.0

If players have the ability to change instructors at will, even within the same nation, it reduces the need for more instructors.

Instructors were created for 2.0 to prevent players from losing all the unique crew members they have earned/purchased over the years. While at the same time they are created as a monetization component. Instructors will continue to be distributed through means like Battlepass, LBZ(I think this means campaigns like t55a/260, etc), and through tank purchases. In all the same ways we used to get unique crew members.

According to the devs, crew skins will become more valuable(I assume this means crew skins will cost more gold, because you only need 1 now?).

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofTanks/comments/ot372e/wg_crew_20_developer_qa/

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I've been taking a break from this game for a couple months, and was just starting to get the itch back. News like this really makes me reconsider. Not sure if I have the :effort: to put into a new convoluted system like this that also breaks the couple special crews I've put together (i.e. paid for).

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

Premium account provides 60% insurance.

And you need to make sure your crew clones are updated for the XP they have.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

whaaaaaaat lmao that last roll

:c00l: :getin: :smugdog:

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
I just made a spreadsheet to keep track of all the drat crews I had with 0-skills, female crews, etc. to plan out progression to T10s....

drat this a whole new level of pain in micromanagement.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Wait, what happened that people need to keep track of their crews?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mesadoram posted:

Wait, what happened that people need to keep track of their crews?

Only special commanders will be whats left of the crews you have, the rest are being ground up into XP paste.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
XP for the XP God!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MariusLecter posted:

Only special commanders will be whats left of the crews you have, the rest are being ground up into XP paste.

Blood sacrifices for the greater good.

SpannerX posted:

XP for the XP God!

:black101:

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

skippin 30000 posts to say buy my tanks guy

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Started playing this again for the first time in 6 years. I'm lost. I have a lot of clan gold and premiums though. Is there a discord? Where do I look up stats for tank winrates? Are there mods I need to have like the old bush remover?