Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Air is by far the dominant vector, but it is true that the virus decays very slowly on some surfaces and in some conditions, and not just its RNA. It is intact and able to infect cells.

quote:

Unlike previous reports, viable SARS-CoV-2 in the presence of a soil load persisted for up to 21 days on experimentally inoculated PPE, including materials from filtering facepiece respirators (N-95 and N-100 masks) and a plastic visor. Conversely, when applied to 100% cotton fabric, the virus underwent rapid degradation and became undetectable by TCID50 assay within 24 h.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-80098-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Tokyo Drift has a bad rap and I never understood why. I always found the fish-out-of-water stuff really fun.

One of my favorite movie formulas is this, person gets their rear end beat at something, comes back and beats rear end.

I call it the karate kid method and I usually end up liking it. Hell, even that movie Never Back Down is good to me.

Temperature is 99.9. We’re under 100 boys.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Also in Orlando: Universal Studios https://insidethemagic.net/2021/07/universal-security-line-ad1/

Yikes.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Don't worry, I'm sure everyone who decided this was the summer to visit a massive theme park is vaccinated and has been taking covid seriously.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
17 days after my first dose of pfizer now, slowly but surely my nearly 2 years of anxiety are lifting like a weight off of my shoulders. feels so good. still wear a mask when shopping and distance myself, though.

also started biking to work instead of taking the subway, goddamn did crowded subway rides give me anxiety :(

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

A Fancy Hat posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure everyone who decided this was the summer to visit a massive theme park is vaccinated and has been taking covid seriously.
I can't help but notice that in a population that's 60-70% vaccinated, nearly 100% of people were maskless as soon as the mandates were lifted. Guess the 30-40% of unvaccinated people are all staying at home??

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

AEMINAL posted:

17 days after my first dose of pfizer now, slowly but surely my nearly 2 years of anxiety are lifting like a weight off of my shoulders. feels so good. still wear a mask when shopping and distance myself, though.

also started biking to work instead of taking the subway, goddamn did crowded subway rides give me anxiety :(

Suggestion: with what we know now, go to the dentist. I MASSIVELY hosed up by not going soon after I was vaxed.
I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk to go get my teeth cleaned. They really need it, but I was Pfizered in April. My appointment is Aug 30, so late in order to be the first one at 8 a.m.
:negative:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Rolo posted:

One of my favorite movie formulas is this, person gets their rear end beat at something, comes back and beats rear end.

I call it the karate kid method and I usually end up liking it. Hell, even that movie Never Back Down is good to me.

Temperature is 99.9. We’re under 100 boys.

For what is worth and I know it is the worst symptom, the losing your taste and smell is linked to extremely mild COVID. I never lost mine and ended up with only mild symptoms as well but holy hell if my brain fog has never gone away and I now get what I can only describe as migraine like symptoms even 4 months after. Hoping the vax helps you avoid all the lingering symptoms!!!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I'm nervous about this delta poo poo. I don't want any viral loads from it. My stink with long covid has me feeling some kinda way.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

cash crab posted:

If you're a healthy vaccinated person who wears a mask around strangers you're more than likely fine.

Agree with what you're saying, but wearing a mask does very little to protect yourself, right?

I'm pissed off with the UK government relaxing rules around masks then saying it's up to people to take personal responsibility. There's not much personal responsibility I can take when I'm food shopping and various other customers and staff won't wear them. It hardly seems like a big ask, especially for essential places. I don't know how realistic it is that this delta one can be caught just passing someone, but I've got this far without catching it and I'm not going to let my guard down now.

Got my second dose today though (the earliest date I could possibly get it) so just got to dodge it for another fortnight before my "freedom day".

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, even if I set my brain to full doomer, I can't come up with a negative interpretation of that data.

Also aren't most breakthrough deaths in the elderly or infirm, i.e., the people at most risk anyway? I don't mean that in a callous way unlike the "they were gonna die anyway, just let them" jerks; just pointing out that if you aren't elderly/etc., maybe reports of breakthrough deaths in those groups don't apply to you so much.

the negative interpretation is that all these assholes hospitalized with covid, which could be avoided almost completely with vaccination + masking + distancing + building capacity regulations, are monopolizing hospital bed space.

twenty car pileup on the i-95, two dozen people in critical condition? get in line!!

A Fancy Hat posted:

The problem is what kind of environment you're dealing with around you. My county is hovering at around 7 new cases a day and 0 deaths. I feel pretty comfortable doing things, and this Friday we're doing an outdoor concert.

But if I lived in Orlando or something and was seeing 500+ new cases a day? gently caress that noise.

really it's all numerically relative. if your county has like 3mn residents then 7/day is great! if your county has like 100k residents than 7/day is :whitewater:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Tokyo Drift has a bad rap and I never understood why. I always found the fish-out-of-water stuff really fun.

Tokyo Drift was good.

I've had unexplained "allergies" since yesterday and luckily I haven't had to leave the house, if they persist tomorrow I think I'd better get tested just in case. Late July is not my allergy season. I've seen several of the delta mild breakthroughs described as "cold or allergy like symptoms".

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 22, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JammyB posted:

Agree with what you're saying, but wearing a mask does very little to protect yourself, right?

It varies a lot by the type of mask, some give a very high level of protection

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

JammyB posted:

I'm pissed off with the UK government relaxing rules around masks then saying it's up to people to take personal responsibility. There's not much personal responsibility I can take when I'm food shopping and various other customers and staff won't wear them. It hardly seems like a big ask, especially for essential places. I don't know how realistic it is that this delta one can be caught just passing someone, but I've got this far without catching it and I'm not going to let my guard down now.

Got my second dose today though (the earliest date I could possibly get it) so just got to dodge it for another fortnight before my "freedom day".

Wearing a properly-fitted mask will reduce the viral load that goes into your body. The idea that masks protect other people and not yourself is a myth circulated by people who I suspect thought it would inspire mask-wearing if you turned it into a benevolent community gesture of care, but the reality is that when you are surrounded by people who are not wearing masks and who may or may not be vaccinated, the best and easiest thing you can do is to simply continue wearing a properly-fitted, appropriate mask.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Spinz posted:

Suggestion: with what we know now, go to the dentist. I MASSIVELY hosed up by not going soon after I was vaxed.
I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk to go get my teeth cleaned. They really need it, but I was Pfizered in April. My appointment is Aug 30, so late in order to be the first one at 8 a.m.

This was also one of the first things I did after vaccination. I was terrified my teeth would be hosed between not going for so long and being convinced I was grinding them in my sleep from stress. Thankfully everything was good and my teeth are now nice and clean.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cash crab posted:

The idea that masks protect other people and not yourself is a myth circulated by people who I suspect thought it would inspire mask-wearing if you turned it into a benevolent community gesture of care

lovely cheap surgical masks or homemade cloth masks don't give a huge amount of personal protection but if everyone in a public space was wearing them it would genuinely give a large amount of protection to everyone and drastically reduce the spread of the virus. It's really an all or nothing scenario, if everyone was willing to sacrifice a small amount of personal comfort and wear a mask then even crappy masks would have worked wonders, but if a large enough percentage of people refuse to take part then the surges will just keep happening over and over.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

cash crab posted:

Wearing a properly-fitted mask will reduce the viral load that goes into your body. The idea that masks protect other people and not yourself is a myth circulated by people who I suspect thought it would inspire mask-wearing if you turned it into a benevolent community gesture of care, but the reality is that when you are surrounded by people who are not wearing masks and who may or may not be vaccinated, the best and easiest thing you can do is to simply continue wearing a properly-fitted, appropriate mask.

When you say properly fitted though are you referring to what you'd be given, e.g. as a doctor on a covid ward? I watched a video of a doctor getting his and that's going to be well beyond the reach of normal people.

I've just got a lovely cloth thing so I'm just shopping late at night and slalom my trolley wildly round the no-maskers because I can't imagine my mask will prevent much.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Fur20 posted:

the negative interpretation is that all these assholes hospitalized with covid, which could be avoided almost completely with vaccination + masking + distancing + building capacity regulations, are monopolizing hospital bed space.

twenty car pileup on the i-95, two dozen people in critical condition? get in line!!
Yeah, there is that. :o: I mostly meant no negative interpretation wrt ":derp: the vaccines aren't working :derp:" doomerism.

JammyB posted:

Properly-fitted masks offer nonzero protection to you, and filtration masks (N95, KN95, KF94) protect the wearer AND others. For extra points, respirators with P100 cartridges are boss.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

lovely cheap surgical masks or homemade cloth masks don't give a huge amount of personal protection but if everyone in a public space was wearing them it would genuinely give a large amount of protection to everyone and drastically reduce the spread of the virus. It's really an all or nothing scenario, if everyone was willing to sacrifice a small amount of personal comfort and wear a mask then even crappy masks would have worked wonders, but if a large enough percentage of people refuse to take part then the surges will just keep happening over and over.

One similarity with masks and vaccines is that a significant amount of people using them makes individually-weak protection significantly stronger. This tweet makes a very good point:

https://twitter.com/MatthewWynia/status/1418267763685081088?s=20

As you can see, the measles vaccine is about 70% effective in real-world conditions, but overwhelming adoption of that vaccine meant that we nearly eradicated the disease. It was only able to gain a foothold and start reinfecting people when there was a large enough pool of unvaccinated people.

If we can get to >90% of people fully vaccinated, it could be possible to almost completely eradicate COVID. Everyone is focusing on Israel's breakout cases since so much of their population is vaccinated, but it should be noted that they are currently only at 58% of the population fully vaccinated (they just got to that level really fast).

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LanceHunter posted:

If we can get to >90% of people fully vaccinated

:lmao:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JammyB posted:

I've just got a lovely cloth thing so I'm just shopping late at night and slalom my trolley wildly round the no-maskers because I can't imagine my mask will prevent much.

The other thing to keep in mind is the current infection rate in your specific state, or even your specific county or city. If there's hardly any spread around you then a crappy cloth mask might be a sufficient level of extra protection, if there's a huge surge then maybe just do curbside delivery or invest in a better mask.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Spinz posted:

Got my teeth cleaned 3 months ago, next appointment coming up in October :)

Thinkin about getting one of those waterpik water based flossers, my dad says they're awesome

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A guy who I used to work with at a couple different jobs has been on a vent and now on an ECMO machine. I don't remember him as being very chudly then, but I haven’t seen him in a couple years.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

JammyB posted:

When you say properly fitted though are you referring to what you'd be given, e.g. as a doctor on a covid ward? I watched a video of a doctor getting his and that's going to be well beyond the reach of normal people.

I would recommend not relying on a cotton mask, particularly if it's only one layer and you don't have a filter inside of it. The main goal here is to ensure whatever you're using was designed to prevent the flow of small particulate matter and creates a reasonable seal around your face, i.e.: a KN95 or better. I assume you're in the UK and I would also assume that it might be hard to track one down right now seeing as a very short look online suggests a lot of masks like that are sold out right now. If you have an Asian market nearby, try them. You can also see if you can track down a surgical mask and layer a three-ply cotton mask over that.

Another thing to remember is that in a few weeks, you're going to be in a WAY better position than you were a year ago, full-stop. Being vaccinated will help immensely. I'm not suggesting you go to an orgy or anything, but you can breath a little easier, pun intended.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

The other thing to keep in mind is the current infection rate in your specific state, or even your specific county or city. If there's hardly any spread around you then a crappy cloth mask might be a sufficient level of extra protection, if there's a huge surge then maybe just do curbside delivery or invest in a better mask.

Yeah, didn't realise how paranoid I'd feel until I was in there, but learned my lesson and will do an online shop at least until my double-dose +90% defence kicks in.

Interesting info though about the better masks so thanks all.

^^^ yep, just going to sit tight now. Cheers.

JammyB fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 22, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Got my second AZ jab in May (Northern Ireland) and i'm sticking to my routine; cloth mask + a disposable one and wear disposable gloves any time i'm out shopping (once a month for me), i see absolutely no reason to change it.

Wore masks & gloves at work for 15 years so it's my 'normal', their effectiveness might very well be marginal but i prefer it to nothing at all and it makes me fell better to at least do 'something'... how i feel mentally is also important in a long term situation like this.

The fight goes on.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The NFL knows they can't pass a rule to force players to get vaxxed but they're putting a huge amount of pressure on teams to not gently caress it up for everyone else

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1418257495550738432

If a team has to cancel a game because of an outbreak among unvaxxed players they forfeit the game, have to pay the other team travel costs and their share of the revenue sharing, and players don't get paid. If it's an outbreak among vaxxed players the league will "seek to minimize the burden" on both clubs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The NFL knows they can't pass a rule to force players to get vaxxed but they're putting a huge amount of pressure on teams to not gently caress it up for everyone else

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1418257495550738432

If a team has to cancel a game because of an outbreak among unvaxxed players they forfeit the game, have to pay the other team travel costs and their share of the revenue sharing, and players don't get paid. If it's an outbreak among vaxxed players the league will "seek to minimize the burden" on both clubs.
Way to go.... NFL?

Huh.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

It varies a lot by the type of mask, some give a very high level of protection

I've made it a habit of straight up holding my breath when people come too close to me. Gonna be fun to shake that ingrained habit when this hopefully is all over...

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

dwarf74 posted:

Way to go.... NFL?

Huh.
They're good at doing the right thing when the right thing is financially prudent.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zugzwang posted:

They're good at doing the right thing when the right thing is financially prudent.
Honest question tho - won't this incentivize hiding positive results?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Yes. There's also some legit star players reacting poorly so we'll see how long it lasts.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

AEMINAL posted:

I've made it a habit of straight up holding my breath when people come too close to me. Gonna be fun to shake that ingrained habit when this hopefully is all over...

Same. Also, when passing through a group of people.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
"Jimmy Itsnotcovid is out this week due to an injury suffered during practice. It's absolutely not because of Covid19, and his team definitely should not be quarantining.

Of course we're telling the truth, just ask all the players who want to get paid this week!"

It's perverse incentives all over.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

dwarf74 posted:

or forging vaccination status documents after the fact.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

"Jimmy Itsnotcovid is out this week due to an injury suffered during practice. It's absolutely not because of Covid19, and his team definitely should not be quarantining.

Of course we're telling the truth, just ask all the players who want to get paid this week!"

It's perverse incentives all over.

To be slightly fair, we also assumed at the start of last season that they would do that and they did everything short making teams actually forfeit once teams had positives.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

sharknado slashfic posted:

Yes. There's also some legit star players reacting poorly so we'll see how long it lasts.

lol the NFL gives 2 shits about someone who’s a low blow to the knee away from retirement.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm worried about what the vaccine may do to my body, says man who's paid to get hit over and over and over by human tanks.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

LanceHunter posted:

One similarity with masks and vaccines is that a significant amount of people using them makes individually-weak protection significantly stronger. This tweet makes a very good point:

https://twitter.com/MatthewWynia/status/1418267763685081088?s=20

As you can see, the measles vaccine is about 70% effective in real-world conditions, but overwhelming adoption of that vaccine meant that we nearly eradicated the disease. It was only able to gain a foothold and start reinfecting people when there was a large enough pool of unvaccinated people.

If we can get to >90% of people fully vaccinated, it could be possible to almost completely eradicate COVID. Everyone is focusing on Israel's breakout cases since so much of their population is vaccinated, but it should be noted that they are currently only at 58% of the population fully vaccinated (they just got to that level really fast).

I got vaccinated against measles as a child, as did my brother. We both got it anyway about 15 years later. I got a fairly mild dose, he got the kind that has you get a fever that has you drench your bedding several times a day for several days.
Vaccinations are a miracle, but unless you eradicate the disease in your community, it will circulate, and it will break through even the best vaccines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I'm finally feeling less like death today, able to get up and walk around a bit. I haven't worked out in over a week, which is weird for me, but hopefully will be able to in a few days. I'm still congested but can taste things and breathe through my nose again. My ears have mostly stopped popping. I'm doing a fourth test in the morning which will hopefully be negative. If it is, some friends from out of town want to meet up. We had plans to meet last weekend but canceled for obvious reasons. I told them it depends on how we feel, but if we do we'll be masked and outdoors.

I'm just glad to not feel like death again. It feels weird having enough energy to actually get up and walk around, or clean the house and do things without feeling like I'm going to fall down.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I know where I caught it--two weekends ago I went out with my spouse, spent time mostly outdoors, but went indoors at one bar. One of the friends we were with, also vaccinated, tested positive today. Her husband tested negative, but given that they started isolating last week when we developed symptoms, it's likely they caught it then too.