Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the 8-man HW raid has some really cool unique mechanics that overgeared groups kinda can ignore by just tearing through them, 100% worth trying to get a minimum ilvl team for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Thanks to syncing you don't ever really grow out of most content. For some activities that rely on larger groups it may help to be part of the rush when it's current, like Eureka or Bozja. Bozja might even still be pretty good come Endwalker since you can level 71-80 in there, but it's my understanding that Eureka is a bit more difficult to progress in now due to having fewer players.

Current relic weapons are done through the Bozja side-activity and are apparently the easiest iteration yet. They really aren't necessary but look pretty cool. It's possible to passively earn tokens for several steps concurrently while doing various other activities you may find yourself doing anyway, but that all kicks off post-Shadowbringers.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

acumen posted:

Thanks to syncing you don't ever really grow out of most content.

This is so incredibly true. Yes, some stuff isn't exactly the way it was on release, due to changes to abilities, gear, potency, etc. or changes to the encounter itself but it's still pretty drat close. An artist's recreation, if you will.

As a concrete example, I've been slowly running friends through various parts of the game. There's six of us, and four are newbies. We've been occasionally working our way through ARR Extremes and Coils (since some of them have been distracted with real life/doing all the sidequests and are still in Heavensward) as just the group of six, level synced. Yes, having ilvl 130 gear instead of ilvl 70 gear makes things much easier, as does having the Echo bonus, but Landslides and Divebombs don't care much about that.

This past Saturday, armed with me having watched a guide video once, we managed to take down Twintania (and my wife got to make lots of Dad of Light jokes) after basically four hours straight. Most satisfying victory screen we've seen in a while.

I'm both looking forward to and dreading the rest of Coils, since our ilvl advantage is going to get slimmer and slimmer.

My point is that FF14 is like a theme park that doesn't get rid of old rides basically ever, it just occasionally makes some adjustments for personal safety throughout. Yes, the newer stuff might be more refined, and you're not quite making the same personal gambles with the old stuff that you would have when it came out, but you're still getting a bunch of the experience and no one thought the chance of the roller coaster car flying off into the woods was a key part of things anyway.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Thanks for the advice. I think im about to reach stormblood because im going full psycho mode on the story quests but those are some good suggestions. I keep seeing people talk about relic weapons and raids i dont know about and stuff like that so i always wonder if theres anything worthwhile im missing

"Relic Weapons" are the intense grinds of every expansion; while they do give high-level weapons, their grinds are extremely long, in return for something that's only barely higher ilvl than regular weapons you get elsewhere.

That said, relic weapons look loving Awesome, and as you upgrade them further they look cooler and cooler, so it's typically something folks work on in their off-time when they have nothing urgent to progress towards. The later expansions add entire new zones with new mechanics that you go to in order to work on your relic weapons...I'm not a huge fan of it but I usually poke my head in when I've got nothing better to do.

Typically they'll 'nerf' the grind a bit for older expansions so that people can go get their sweet cosmetics more easily, but they're still pretty time-intensive to take one from start to finish.

Then again...they look loving sweet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOAUemiJ2Ic&t=222s.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the relic tradeoff is basically 'yes it'd be more efficient/a better upgrade to just do the current max level PvE savage' vs 'but look how fuckin sweet this looks'.

Also it makes a nice longterm project.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do DoT work? Like, how do I estimate what the total potency of a DoT is? Studying Doton for my Ninja main I see people say it is worth 900 potency overall, and nobody expected it to tick once at the start. So it ticks nine times, eight "expected," so over a 24 second duration that's a "normal" tick every 3 seconds. Do all DoT follow that pattern, so that I can know how to calculate the potency of say Shadow Fang or Thunder as a black mage?

Putting aside whether Doton is good. I saw more arguments about whether to use it and when than I saw actual useful data and I don't care.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SuperKlaus posted:

How do DoT work? Like, how do I estimate what the total potency of a DoT is? Studying Doton for my Ninja main I see people say it is worth 900 potency overall, and nobody expected it to tick once at the start. So it ticks nine times, eight "expected," so over a 24 second duration that's a "normal" tick every 3 seconds. Do all DoT follow that pattern, so that I can know how to calculate the potency of say Shadow Fang or Thunder as a black mage?

Putting aside whether Doton is good. I saw more arguments about whether to use it and when than I saw actual useful data and I don't care.

Yeah, all DoTs work on a 3 second timer. Also, they snapshot any buffs/debuffs when they're placed, and keep any added potency for their whole duration. So, for example, you always want to use shadow fang when you're in the trick attack window, because it will keep the increased damage from the trick attack for its whole duration.

This is why lining up buff windows is so important for high-end savage/extreme content: everyone benefits from being able to get their most powerful attacks in, even stuff like the summoner DoTs.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

To calculate DoT potency you simply divide the duration of the DoT by three and then multiply the result of that by potency. So Doton has a 24 second duration, which divided by three means it will tick eight times for potency 800. However, because this game's engine is fucky, abilities like Doton that are puddles on the ground actually do their damage instantly unlike every other DoT in the game, so you get one extra tick for potency 900 total.

In comparison, Thunder has an 18 second duration, which divided by three means it will tick six times for potency 240, plus 30 potency on impact, meaning potency 270 total.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cool cool. Shadow Fang has a lot of potency over time then, I see. Also, does this mean samurai's stage 1 iaijutsu are more damaging than the fancy stage 3s, provided the target would take a minute to kill anyway? 20 ticks * 40 potency, plus 250 up front, exceeds 800 up front, similar figures for the ultra super iaijutsu forms.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Thanks for the advice. I think im about to reach stormblood because im going full psycho mode on the story quests but those are some good suggestions. I keep seeing people talk about relic weapons and raids i dont know about and stuff like that so i always wonder if theres anything worthwhile im missing
One thing that's nice about XIV is that you can choose your own path about how you want to tackle content. I mainlined the MSQ then went back to do everything later, but I know some people want to experience everything as it comes available. Do whatever feels right to you.

SuperKlaus posted:

Cool cool. Shadow Fang has a lot of potency over time then, I see. Also, does this mean samurai's stage 1 iaijutsu are more damaging than the fancy stage 3s, provided the target would take a minute to kill anyway? 20 ticks * 40 potency, plus 250 up front, exceeds 800 up front, similar figures for the ultra super iaijutsu forms.
Yeah Samurai wants to have the DoT up at all times on bosses. The typical opener is to use the speed buff, get the right seal, get the damage buff, then use the DoT.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Yes, you always want to apply Higanbana first if the target will last a minute. And don't forget the Kaiten!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

One addition though is that the same rule does not apply to Tsubame-gaeshi. The two dots don't stack, and since the Tsubame-gaeshi count as abilities rather than weaponskills you can't buff them with Kaiten. So Tsubame-gaeshi Higanbana is actually effectively useless and is just there for consistency, you should use Midare instead.

E: Used the wrong word, Samurai terminology always trips me up.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 22, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The DoT tooltips are kind of absurd to be honest. Other MMOs have this figured out and xiv is just being unclear for no reason.

For example, instead of chaos thrust saying it has a 50 potency dot lasting 24 seconds, it would be much clearer if it said it had a 400 potency dot, delivered over the course of 24 seconds. Then nobody has to do any mental math trying to figure out how powerful the move actually is.

Though in practice, with very few expections, the power of a dot is "powerful enough" and the exact numbers don't really matter since you should just keep all your dots up at all times. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is doton

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Like everyone said, but put simply for convenience:

DoT potency = Initial Hit Potency + (Duration / 3 * DoT Potency).

That said, I'll spare you doing the math: basically every single DoT effect is tuned such that it is always the best thing to keep rolling at all times for its given situation. There are some niche scenarios involving AOEs for a couple of jobs, but for essentially all single target situations getting the full duration of a DoT effect is going to be the best thing you can do with that GCD time.

Step 1 of being good at an FF14 job is "keep your GCD rolling". Step 2 is "keep your DoTs running".

EDIT:

cheetah7071 posted:

Though in practice, with very few expections, the power of a dot is "powerful enough" and the exact numbers don't really matter since you should just keep all your dots up at all times. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is doton

Doton is a great example of what I mean by each DoT's "given situation". Doton, technically, can do more damage than Raiton at the cost of one extra Mudra time; in most usages, they're going to end up indistinguishable. However, Doton is AOE: it should be compared to Katon, where it very clearly wins out when given enough time. Doton being stronger than Raiton with the right circumstance is basically just fun trivia. In any content where that 100 extra potency would matter it's just as likely that the range on Raiton being able to keep uptime on your GCD will matter more.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 22, 2021

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hello I'm going to try this game for the third time since wow is toast.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

welcome friend and good luck :)

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

remember that fashion is the true endgame.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Or not because no matter what I do it tells me the id or password is incorrect. Tried to use my old account, id or password is incorrect. Made a new account, id or password is incorrect. Go through the change password process, id or password is incorrect. No, caps lock is not on.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Do you have 2 factor on your accounts?

If so, make sure that's right as well.

If not, make sure the 'One-Time Password' section is empty.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Do you have 2 factor on your accounts?

If so, make sure that's right as well.

If not, make sure the 'One-Time Password' section is empty.

No, it's a brand new account, and yeah, it is empty. Can't login through the launcher or the website with any combo of accounts and passwords. I guess I'll revisit this some other time, troubleshooting logins wasn't what I felt like doing today.

e: There's some stuff on google but it all seems to be when mogstation and squenix were separate accounts.

e2: Made yet another account with a different email on another computer, still the same problem. Wild.

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 22, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think I had this same problem and I don't have a loving clue what I did to fix it. I think I just reset my SE store and Mogstation/FFXIV passwords until it worked. Given how lovely everything to do with account management and their store is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a piece of poo poo and takes forever to actually update itself with your new login credentials.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hey, after taking a break from my journey through FF14 to play the new WoW patch I'm finally severed from that game indefinitely if not permanently, so back I come to this fun thing.

I did notice the Strict Spoiler Rules on the OP, but I want to keep sharing my thoughts on the story as I go through it, so would it be better to keep posting in the General Thread like I was originally doing? I don't want to post in Spoilers because I feel like I'll... you know, get Spoilers.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

I did notice the Strict Spoiler Rules on the OP, but I want to keep sharing my thoughts on the story as I go through it, so would it be better to keep posting in the General Thread like I was originally doing?

Yes. I think it's best to keep this thread entirely spoiler free, even with spoiler tags, just so that people feel comfortable coming in here to ask gameplay-related questions without worrying about accidentally hovering something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sanguinia posted:

Hey, after taking a break from my journey through FF14 to play the new WoW patch I'm finally severed from that game indefinitely if not permanently, so back I come to this fun thing.

I did notice the Strict Spoiler Rules on the OP, but I want to keep sharing my thoughts on the story as I go through it, so would it be better to keep posting in the General Thread like I was originally doing? I don't want to post in Spoilers because I feel like I'll... you know, get Spoilers.

Vermain posted:

Yes. I think it's best to keep this thread entirely spoiler free, even with spoiler tags, just so that people feel comfortable coming in here to ask gameplay-related questions without worrying about accidentally hovering something.

This. I'd keep it to the general thread, they live for new players posting their experiences.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Or not because no matter what I do it tells me the id or password is incorrect. Tried to use my old account, id or password is incorrect. Made a new account, id or password is incorrect. Go through the change password process, id or password is incorrect. No, caps lock is not on.

Are you using a VPN? I went through hell and back with the site before turning mine off based on a years-old post I read somewhere. I can log in just fine while it's up and running, it was only during account creation and initial setup that made it screwy.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Are you using a VPN? I went through hell and back with the site before turning mine off based on a years-old post I read somewhere. I can log in just fine while it's up and running, it was only during account creation and initial setup that made it screwy.

I don't have the vpn enabled on either computer, but just in case I decided to try through my phone, which of all things autofilled my years old u/p that I couldn't remember exactly (and neither computer had stored)...and that logged in fine on both the phone and my laptop :psyduck:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sanguinia posted:

Yeah definitely avoid the Spoilers thread, there is discussion on major ShB stuff with no tags constantly.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

What does the power number of abilities even mean, besides "more is better?"

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
more potency means more damage. a 100 potency attack is just your flat damage stat + weapon damage. a 200 potency attack is double that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's a little more complicated than that but basically more potency is more damage yes.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gnoman posted:

What does the power number of abilities even mean, besides "more is better?"

I googled it and got this formula: https://www.akhmorning.com/allagan-studies/how-to-be-a-math-wizard/shadowbringers/functions/#functions

Damage = ⌊ Potency · f(DET) · f(AP) ⌋ / 100 ⌋ / 1000 ⌋

Basically, potency is the number one multiplier determining how strong of a damaging or healing effect you cast, which is multiplied by function of Determination:

f(DET) = ⌊ 130 · ( DET - LevelModLv, Main )/ LevelModLv, DIV + 1000 ⌋

and function of Attack Power:

f(AP) = ⌊ 165 · ( AP - 340 ) / 340 ⌋ + 100

Then divided up a couple times?

e: Different stats come into play for different classes, such as Mind for healers and Tenacity for tanks, but Potency is always the top multiplier of an ability's healing/damaging effect.

Also note that in PvP, potency is just the raw damage/healing number a skill is going to output before any modifiers. So if an attack in pvp says "Potency 2000", it's going to do 2000 damage in a vacuum.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 22, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The two main Numbers you want to see Go Up to do more damage or healing are potency and weapon damage. I think one point of weapon damage is worth like 10 points of your main damage stat.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Begemot posted:

The two main Numbers you want to see Go Up to do more damage or healing are potency and weapon damage. I think one point of weapon damage is worth like 10 points of your main damage stat.

Yeah. Weapon Damage > STR/DEX/MND/INT > secondary stats such as critical hit or determination.

Different classes will want different amounts of secondary stats but increasing weapon damage is your top priority and then more STR/DEX/MND/INT = virtually always better

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes which is why you want the highest quality highest ilvl weapon you can get because substats do not make up the difference in weapon damage.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
You don't really need to worry about the formulas used to compute actual damage from potency and stats, although they exist if you want them. All you really need to know is that double the potency means double the damage. The reasoning behind potency is that it's easier to parse the relative value of "100 potency" vs "150 potency" than it is to do the same for "37242 damage" vs "55863 damage".

I think that's true that having nice, even numbered potencies does helps make the tooltips readable ... which makes the entire thing where dots and hots have their potency given per 3s tick without actually saying so extra dumb.

An even more "fun" additional quirk of the hot/dot situation is that the ground target circles -- Asylum, Sacred Soil, Salted Earth, Doton, etc -- also do a single extra tick when placed (or cast, in the case of Collective Unconscious). For instance, Asylum's tooltip says it has 100 potency and a 24s duration. That means 100 * (24/3 + 1) = 900 potency worth of healing total. I don't know of any place in the game where this is documented.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Why didn't anyone tell me bards could busk in the streets and I have been wasting my time not leveling up archer to 30 asap.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well you can't pass around the (fancy) hat but yes you can stand around and play instruments. They recently added electric guitar.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
They should add a case you can toss gil into.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I would 100% toss gil at buskers in Limsa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Xerophyte posted:

An even more "fun" additional quirk of the hot/dot situation is that the ground target circles -- Asylum, Sacred Soil, Salted Earth, Doton, etc -- also do a single extra tick when placed (or cast, in the case of Collective Unconscious). For instance, Asylum's tooltip says it has 100 potency and a 24s duration. That means 100 * (24/3 + 1) = 900 potency worth of healing total. I don't know of any place in the game where this is documented.
Another fun quirk is that machinist's Flamethrower ticks every second instead of every three seconds. Which is also not documented that I know of.