Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

prom candy posted:

dang, getting lessons in impermanence from the hot hatch thread

The Hot Hatch Discussion Thread: Lessons in Impermanence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
how long does the rustproofing that looks like runny pitch and you have to let drip out a few days last?

you're just forestalling the inevitable though yeah

death swings his scythe, covering your '98 Corolla in a blight of rust

Ok Comboomer posted:

everything dies

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheBacon posted:

People talking poo poo saying ‘just a stinger’ (lmao at first I wrote just a singer which would be some real flexing) are honestly kind of not cool, if that car is special to OP where they want it to last longer and not dispose of it as well as not have to rinse the drat thing constantly in the cold rear end weather, then we should probably be like ya man get a winter car, save your nice car, enjoy your nice thing how best gives you joy! Worrying about idiots losing control of their cars and slamming into a car you really like I think is pretty understandable!

my hot take is that any car you walk in to a dealership and buy in 2021 that is fit for purpose as a daily driver is not special. individual cars can be special because of emotional attachments but i don't think cars are special without them, and how do you have an emotional attachment to a brand new car?

anyway i think people buy winter beaters to preserve perfectly average cars and it's silly to me! i don't think it actually gives you a better ownership experience to drive some loving poo poo box in the winter but hey if you think so go for it!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
It's easy for a monk to tell people to let go of worldly desires. It's less easy for the average dude to not care about the second most expensive thing he owns. We love seeing poo poo like lambos being driven in snow but you kinda gotta build up to that mentality.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

its juts like sure, yes, you can care about your car - but to not drive it in the winter necessitates spending money on and registering and insuring and storing a second shittier car all to protect the "value" or whatever of a rapidly depreciating piece of machinery - this seems like an unbelievable pain in the rear end in order to.... not replace the nice car sooner? which you could easily afford to do if you didn't have the second car, plus then you get to drive the nice car all the time. it just doesn't make any sense to me.

now if it's like the Corolla you learned to drive on or like the AW11 you had a poster of on your childhood wall or whatever sure, that makes sense - but "a nice car" is nice for its intrinsic qualities not for extrinsic emotional reasons

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my hot take is that any car you walk in to a dealership and buy in 2021 that is fit for purpose as a daily driver is not special. individual cars can be special because of emotional attachments but i don't think cars are special without them, and how do you have an emotional attachment to a brand new car?

anyway i think people buy winter beaters to preserve perfectly average cars and it's silly to me! i don't think it actually gives you a better ownership experience to drive some loving poo poo box in the winter but hey if you think so go for it!

Historically it was just an excuse to own a cool old 4x4/AWD. It’s only recently that people have decided that old XJs and Monteros and Bajas and Audis and whatnot should actually get the “summer car” treatment

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Historically it was just an excuse to own a cool old 4x4/AWD. It’s only recently that people have decided that old XJs and Monteros and Bajas and Audis and whatnot should actually get the “summer car” treatment

ya i mean when you want to own a Forester or a pickup or something with other capabilities or whatever that makes sense to me, but when its like oh let me buy a Fiesta or Civic uhhh

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ya i mean when you want to own a Forester or a pickup or something with other capabilities or whatever that makes sense to me, but when its like oh let me buy a Fiesta or Civic uhhh

hey man, if that’s what lets you justify that extra car to yourself or your partner who are we to say “no”?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its juts like sure, yes, you can care about your car - but to not drive it in the winter necessitates spending money on and registering and insuring and storing a second shittier car all to protect the "value" or whatever of a rapidly depreciating piece of machinery - this seems like an unbelievable pain in the rear end in order to.... not replace the nice car sooner? which you could easily afford to do if you didn't have the second car, plus then you get to drive the nice car all the time. it just doesn't make any sense to me.

now if it's like the Corolla you learned to drive on or like the AW11 you had a poster of on your childhood wall or whatever sure, that makes sense - but "a nice car" is nice for its intrinsic qualities not for extrinsic emotional reasons

It's not even about the resale value of the car (well, I guess partly it is). It's about having this nice new thing and feeling good because it stays nice. It's about going out with your not-nice thing and having piece of mind because you don't care what happens to it. I'm not saying it's not a flawed mentality but that's just how people's brains work.

The way I see it, your brain can either feel good because you get to drive your nice car all the time, or it can feel good a different way because you are preserving it. It doesn't matter that preservation is a fool's errand in the long run because you already got that hit of serotonin either way. Just look at everyone that buys Corvettes and hides them away in the garage. We scoff at the idea but these guys probably enjoyed it in their own way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hikaki posted:

It's not even about the resale value of the car (well, I guess partly it is). It's about having this nice new thing and feeling good because it stays nice. It's about going out with your not-nice thing and having piece of mind because you don't care what happens to it. I'm not saying it's not a flawed mentality but that's just how people's brains work.

The way I see it, your brain can either feel good because you get to drive your nice car all the time, or it can feel good a different way because you are preserving it. It doesn't matter that preservation is a fool's errand in the long run because you already got that hit of serotonin either way. Just look at everyone that buys Corvettes and hides them away in the garage. We scoff at the idea but these guys probably enjoyed it in their own way.

Plus it’s not even about feeling good a lot of the time. Do you know how bad it feels to seriously damage your baby because of a wintertime accident or other wear incident?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ok Comboomer posted:

Plus it’s not even about feeling good a lot of the time. Do you know how bad it feels to seriously damage your baby because of a wintertime accident or other wear incident?

yes, but that is how it goes sometimes. I sent a $20k Miata through a fence at a track day a week after I bought it and damaged every single panel on the car, obviously no insurance involved. poo poo happens.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
with a RWD car you will sometimes jackknife even with winter tires

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Personally, I like getting into my M2 and it being clean and nice for a weekend date, and not filled with Taco Bell wrappers and gym clothes like my toyota matrix, because I am a gigantic piece of poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hikaki posted:

My wife bought a flawless, super low mileage LS460 over two years ago and since then has driven the poo poo out of it on her long rear end commute to work. It is now well worn and does not look nearly as nice as it did when she first got it, but she still loves it and bought it for the very reason of having a comfortable luxury car for her long commute. If I started telling her she should stop driving it so it stays nice and get an old Camry or something to drive to work she would tell me to gently caress off. I don't think there are as many people with the "flawed mentality" as you think.

[e]

BlackMK4 posted:

yes, but that is how it goes sometimes. I sent a $20k Miata through a fence at a track day a week after I bought it and damaged every single panel on the car, obviously no insurance involved. poo poo happens.

:stare: Yeah poo poo happens but that must have been a real oh gently caress moment

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 22, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

As someone that lives in the south, lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
what’s cooler, a FiST or a Gen 2 CR-V with a manual transmission for half the cost?

I happen to strongly believe that the Gen 1 and Gen 2 CR-Vs are quirky and fun as hell future covetable Japanese trucklets that will one day get their deserved respect from enthusiasts (especially compared to the bloated orthopedic shoe Honda turned the car into with Gen 3). I’m also coming from a 2004 CR-V, so maybe I’m biased. But I’ve always had a serious fondness for the Compact Runabout Vehicle. Somebody disagree with me pls.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
When you go looking for a certain kind of car and you compromise to something quirky because it is cheaper you're going to end up taking a bath on the thing when you get bored of it in 6mo.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

:stare: Yeah poo poo happens but that must have been a real oh gently caress moment

It was not a good time :lol:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

When you go looking for a certain kind of car and you compromise to something quirky because it is cheaper you're going to end up taking a bath on the thing when you get bored of it in 6mo.

It was not a good time :lol:

I’m (mostly) joking, but a manual Gen 2 CR-V is actually on my list of “bucket list fleet” cars to own.

I legit really loved my CR-V. A bit pokey to accelerate, sure, and tippy on curvy on-ramps, but comfy as hell and plenty capable as an “urban farm truck”, like Honda’s engineers intended, for my ragtag bonsai grow-op. Plus saving the money vs the FiST means having more money free to fix up the E36.

I asked if people thought it would be cool, not whether it would be “better”. Alas it seems like it hasn’t escaped the crossover taint with enthusiasts

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i do think e36/CR-V is probably a good pairing

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The FiST would be cooler.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Turbo/engine swap the CR-V?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

what’s cooler, a FiST or a Gen 2 CR-V with a manual transmission for half the cost?

I happen to strongly believe that the Gen 1 and Gen 2 CR-Vs are quirky and fun as hell future covetable Japanese trucklets that will one day get their deserved respect from enthusiasts (especially compared to the bloated orthopedic shoe Honda turned the car into with Gen 3). I’m also coming from a 2004 CR-V, so maybe I’m biased. But I’ve always had a serious fondness for the Compact Runabout Vehicle. Somebody disagree with me pls.

You're never actually going to buy a car, are you?

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

i like it when my fist go vroooom

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Ok Comboomer posted:

I drove my Mustang in the winter for 5 years and it was the most fun I've had driving that car. Very predictable and just a hoot to play with in the snow.

I drove my new GTI this winter and almost smashed the thing into a guard rail cause I had no idea how violent the lift off oversteer would be in the snow. Still a blast to drive in the snow otherwise though.

edit: I actually had several people ask if my car was awd because I would be driving through inches of snow with it no problem.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 23, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lift off oversteer?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

lift off oversteer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift-off_oversteer?wprov=sfti1

https://youtu.be/tXxc3xCSDyY
https://youtu.be/xTPZ6HkudTk

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Warbird posted:

As someone that lives in the south, lol

I was visiting MN last week and had to explain to my family why all the cars had big brown spots on them.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I had a 2002 cr-v from 2009 to 2017 and I loved it. Not really fun to drive at all but a very practical car. It's probably not gonna scratch your itch.

Midjack posted:

You're never actually going to buy a car, are you?

He's keeping this thread interesting, I hope he never does

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I mean, that's what I'm also doing, posting fun car thoughts without actually being to afford one and in danger of never being able to afford one due to my personality

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The primary reason for a winter daily is salt. I don't care how well you clean the car, salt will get in cavity and eat the car from the inside out. I don't care about keeping miles low or anything, I care about rot. My ms6 developed cancer and it seemed very sudden but in reality it was probably eating away at it for tears before it reached the surface.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
pls don’t make fun of me for being too poor to afford my first-choice cars as they all continue to metastasize in price

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The primary reason for a winter daily is salt. I don't care how well you clean the car, salt will get in cavity and eat the car from the inside out. I don't care about keeping miles low or anything, I care about rot. My ms6 developed cancer and it seemed very sudden but in reality it was probably eating away at it for tears before it reached the surface.

salt and rust is a reality of owning a car

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

salt and rust is a reality of owning a car

The PNW would like a word.

I understand the poo poo about rust, but if you’re living in the rust belt it’s probably worth just accepting it. When I moved to Ohio I resigned myself to always having newer daily drivers so I wouldn’t have to work on rusty poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah i mean i suppose i should have included "north of the mason dixon line and east of the Rockies" but that's where Rhyno lives

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

For like $200 you can get a pressure sprayer and an undercarriage wash attachment, probably sucks to run in winter but should work well enough. Only car I kept garaged in winter was my old 350Z, but that's because it came with summer tires and I was too broke back then to buy new all seasons or winter tires. I bought a piece of poo poo old Blazer that was literally cheaper than a set of new tires and drove that into the dirt instead. (what I should have done was buy cheap used tires off CL but I was younger and dumber then)

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I had the same idea, but realized that’d probably turn my driveway/alley into an ice rink. I’ll be a (carwash) card carrying member of the drive it and wash it club for now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I religiously washed my MS6. Always the underbody treatment and it still rusted.

Where is this "ONLY DRIVE ONE CAR" bullshit coming from?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

Where is this "ONLY DRIVE ONE CAR" bullshit coming from?
Stinger sounds fun to drive in the snow. You should do it if its something you want to do but also you shouldn't do it if its something you don't want to do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

Stinger sounds fun to drive in the snow. You should do it if its something you want to do but also you shouldn't do it if its something you don't want to do.

I've driven plenty of rwd cars in the snow, hell i've driven my truck through the last two winters. It's not always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I know what it is but I don't understand how anyone would make it happen in a gti