Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ingmar terdman posted:

Good guys beard

Bad guys bald EYEBROWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And Gurney has to rejoin Paul in the desert to keep him grounded as an Atreides instead of solely a Fremen Godking

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh poo poo wait, this comes out October 22nd? Fucccck, I know what I am doing on my birthday the next week(November 1st)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jewmanji posted:

My unorthodox take on the book, which I feel is even more relevant for the film, is that Duncan and Gurney should’ve been condensed into a single character. I get that Thufir, Gurney, Duncan, and Yueh all kind of represent Leto’s privy chamber, but Duncan and Gurney just never seem to be differentiated much in my mind (sequels notwithstanding). Seeing the actors on screen definitely helps, but I just don’t think the narrative requires two characters for their roles.

Duncan in book 1 is the guy who gives them their entree with the Fremen. He’s important in that sense (and as a medium of exposition) even though he doesn’t have an especially strong character apart from being a generally good guy (except when he gets drunk). Interesting how the adaptations (including this one) have all followed the sequels in portraying him as Paul’s buddy, I guess to heighten the effect of his death. That’s not in the original book where Paul is cordial with Duncan, but doesn’t seem closer to him than any of the other senior retainers.

Gurney is one of the stronger character portraits in the book imo. He’s a grim old knife fighting bastard who also loves to play space guitar and dispense old time wisdom and folksy jokes. I wouldn’t adulterate him.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna have to get a full face respirator with P100 cartridges to go see this in the Dolby theater. Don’t worry that’s just my stillsuit cosplay

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Tempting as it is, I don't go to theaters much anyway. It just feels different from when I was a kid. I'll just watch it at home with a few people. Besides, even if you're vaxxed, you can still get COVID. While you (probably) won't be hospitalized, you'd be hard-pressed to explain to me why getting dog sick for a week was worth any movie.

Also not digging the stupid quips but let's hope that's only for advertising. Although frankly, that begs the question of who they're advertising to. Guess they figure we're all a sure bet so it's time to branch out and snag some of the Marvel/DC fanbase? Please don't. God, those movies are loving garbage.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Upon seeing the baron for the first time
"he flies now?"
"By ibad he flies"

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

Good guys beard

Bad guys bald

just like real life

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Upon seeing the baron for the first time
"he flies now?"
"By ibad he flies"

lol

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

My unorthodox take on the book, which I feel is even more relevant for the film, is that Duncan and Gurney should’ve been condensed into a single character. I get that Thufir, Gurney, Duncan, and Yueh all kind of represent Leto’s privy chamber, but Duncan and Gurney just never seem to be differentiated much in my mind (sequels notwithstanding). Seeing the actors on screen definitely helps, but I just don’t think the narrative requires two characters for their roles.

It's very simple to tell them both apart.

Duncan fucks, and Gurney sings about loving.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This is how I'd gently caress this up, watch it and learn Hollywood writers: combine Dunc and Gurney into one character, don't have him die, and make Paul's daddy a ghola. There, perfect.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Gurney sings about being an owl.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Post spice vision Gurney Halleck covering himself in eggs

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Everybody panicking about action bits and quips, just remember the difference between Blade Runner 2042's trailer and the movie.

Like, it's gonna be a Denis Villeneuve movie, not a Michael Bay. We'll be fine.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Why did the Harkonnens have to lure the Atreides to Arrakis? If they have the money and military might to raise an army and move a huge invasion fleet, why couldn't they just invade Caladan? Arrakis is the most profitable planet in the galaxy by like 100x, was there ever a stated in-universe cover story why they were leaving? How come the Harkonnens got to keep Geidi Prime when they had Arrakis but Leto had to give up Caladan? Who got Caladan after the hawks left?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah that's something I've been trying to remember\figure out for a little while now. I know giving them Arrakis is some sort of move and it was to cook up some sort of justification for wiping the whole family out but I just can't seem to remember what the justification ends up being.

Also that trailer woooaah

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Why did the Harkonnens have to lure the Atreides to Arrakis? If they have the money and military might to raise an army and move a huge invasion fleet, why couldn't they just invade Caladan? Arrakis is the most profitable planet in the galaxy by like 100x, was there ever a stated in-universe cover story why they were leaving?

I’m on my first read through and I’m about halfway in but iirc it’s a power move by the Emperor to get rid of Duke Leto because he’s so popular he could end up supplanting the wrong person in the future. It’s why the Sardaukar show up and mix in with Harkonnen forces - the Harkonnens are on the sly getting the green light to wipe out the Atreides.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Uncle Enzo posted:

Why did the Harkonnens have to lure the Atreides to Arrakis? If they have the money and military might to raise an army and move a huge invasion fleet, why couldn't they just invade Caladan? Arrakis is the most profitable planet in the galaxy by like 100x, was there ever a stated in-universe cover story why they were leaving? How come the Harkonnens got to keep Geidi Prime when they had Arrakis but Leto had to give up Caladan? Who got Caladan after the hawks left?

if I remember correctly it was because it was both the Emperor AND the Harkonnens. They both needed the Atredies gone, but on Caladan they were already too dug in and would be hard to eliminate without using the Sardaukar openly probably? So you need to get them out of their environment, but since Leto's popular with the Landressar you need to make it look like a reward.

Remember that even with complete and total surprise + the sardaukar it was still a fight and that was with barely a year of preparation. On Caladan it would've been almost impossible.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

In the heretics movie they will use all the forced perspective tricks from Bag End to make Oscar Isaac into the 6'6 soup-chugging punch machine

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Uncle Enzo posted:

Basically they needed it to appear on neutral territory so that the rest of the Landsraad can look the other way (or be cowed into submission). An outright assault on Caladan would've probably broken Kanly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

The Harkonnens are working with the emperor. The emperor wants Leto dead because he suspects that Leto is gunning for his throne. But he can’t attack Leto directly because that would make all the other houses freak out and turn on him. So he covers his tracks by giving Leto Arrakis, an honor he can’t refuse. In order to get the Harkonnens onside, he promises them a CHOAM directorship, which will make them infinitely richer than the quasi-fief contract to run spice mining on Arrakis for the emperor, which is what they had before Leto came in. This is why the Harkonnens are willing to take the enormous financial risk of an invasion — Thufir estimates they spent the entirety of their last fifty years’ profits from Arrakis on it. If they invaded Caladan on their own time, they would have spent all that money to get a planet whose own Duke admits it’s lovely and poor. Sure they might have gotten the reputation for killing the Duke (or more likely not, since they wouldn’t have Sardaukar to back them up), but there’s no material benefit.

There’s no cover story for why the Harkonnens are leaving because there’s no need for one. It isn’t illegitimate for the emperor to tell his planet’s administrators to go gently caress themselves, and it isn’t illegitimate for him to give the planet to someone as a fief. “Because the emperor ordered it” is reason enough.

According to a note in the appendix, Fenring was made Siridar-Absentia of Caladan. In other words, the emperor formally gave his hatchet man the planet, but he never bothered to go there because it’s worthless on its own.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i want the rad vocal that accompanies the title card to be appended to every one of my posts

HELLO, 'KAY? YA DIVAAAAAAAAAAA! :nyd:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah, the Atreides were dug in and their fighting forces were almost on par with the Sardaukar. Invasion would've been costly and just having Yueh in their pocket might not've been enough. Harkonnen troops wouldn't suffice and if the Emperor got involved, the Landsraad would have united and kicked his rear end.

e. House Atreides is also pretty small population & planet-wise. If the other Houses saw a small, poor House that was known for being honorable get crushed, they'd have had to act out of self-preservation.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 22, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

There's also the Houses Minor and general planetary populations to consider too - on Caladan the Minor Houses (which are something like megacorps or nations - powerful but bound to a single planet) and general population would have been loyal to the Duke and fought alongside him. On Arrakis the Houses Minor were all Harkonnen cronies and did as much to hinder the Atreides foothold on Arrakis as they could, and looked the other way when the invasion happened. The general population on Arrakis was beaten down enough that they didn't intervene either.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

:five:

Kull wahad!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Flakey posted:

Excited about everything oozing style, less excited about the trailer making it seem like Dune: The Action Movie. Hopefully it's just the trailer doing trailer things.

granted the dune trailer is longer but if you look at this BR2049 trailer you see the same trailer tactics, from musical cues to quick cut explosions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4

i think dunc is going to have more action, sure, but i also think it's going to be rather dreamy and contemplative and clock in close to 180 minutes

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

i think dunc is going to have more action, sure, but i also think it's going to be rather dreamy and contemplative and clock in close to 180 minutes

Nah after BR2049 there's no way they're letting Villeneuve get away with another runtime like that. It's mostly likely under 140. But yeah main trailers are always meant to show off action.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cacator posted:

Nah after BR2049 there's no way they're letting Villeneuve get away with another runtime like that. It's mostly likely under 140. But yeah main trailers are always meant to show off action.

you have yourself a bet

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I have faith in Denis Villeneuve. I know trailers are always like that (Drive comes to mind), I'm just not excited for action anymore.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Prolonged Priapism posted:

There's also the Houses Minor and general planetary populations to consider too - on Caladan the Minor Houses (which are something like megacorps or nations - powerful but bound to a single planet) and general population would have been loyal to the Duke and fought alongside him. On Arrakis the Houses Minor were all Harkonnen cronies and did as much to hinder the Atreides foothold on Arrakis as they could, and looked the other way when the invasion happened. The general population on Arrakis was beaten down enough that they didn't intervene either.

This actually does make sense. On Caladan the Harkonnens would have had to fight a united, entrenched enemy on their home turf. Leto would have been able to recruit at will from the general populace and had the support of the power base of an entire planet. Transplanting him to Arrakis removes those advantages.

I've read the book several times, I know the hidden reasons why these things happen. I'm wondering about the overt, stated reasons. I guess no one really believes the emperor just up and decided to take Arrakis from the harkos and give it to Leto, the fact the situation makes no sense is clear from the characters pov.

So for the Arrakis coup I know the emperor needs his involvement to be quiet. But the harkos openly deposed the emperor's designated fiefholder? Isn't that acting against the imperium? Again I know they're actually in cahoots, I mean isn't that a huge upset in their power system if you're allowed to openly steal what the emperor just barely gave someone. Like, why bother trying to win the favor of the emperor if people are allowed to just steal the favor right under his nose? Does kanly just give the baron the right to do whatever he wants to the Atreides short of atomics? Doesn't that just make kanly a free pass to steal whatever you want?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There is really not much reason I can see for an adaptation of the first half only to approach 3 hours. It's understandable to want maximum DUNC but good pacing is probably the most important thing or else it just becomes a hobbit nightmare

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just hope they keep all the songs in.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

wasn't confirmed by some rating board that part one is 2:35?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Cacator posted:

Edit: beaten

Take it with a grain of melange but Google says it’s 2 hours 35 mins.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Edit: beaten

Take it with a grain of melange but Google says it’s 2 hours 35 mins.

google's been way wrong before but okay, i'll take the L

that said, i don't think the performance of BR2049 in any way spells producer dismay with villaneuve, if it did he prolly wouldn't be directing dunc in the first place. if anything villaneueve has proven multiple times that he can deliver relatively subtle/complex films to the masses, projects that would be considered risky

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

This actually does make sense. On Caladan the Harkonnens would have had to fight a united, entrenched enemy on their home turf. Leto would have been able to recruit at will from the general populace and had the support of the power base of an entire planet. Transplanting him to Arrakis removes those advantages.

I've read the book several times, I know the hidden reasons why these things happen. I'm wondering about the overt, stated reasons. I guess no one really believes the emperor just up and decided to take Arrakis from the harkos and give it to Leto, the fact the situation makes no sense is clear from the characters pov.

So for the Arrakis coup I know the emperor needs his involvement to be quiet. But the harkos openly deposed the emperor's designated fiefholder? Isn't that acting against the imperium? Again I know they're actually in cahoots, I mean isn't that a huge upset in their power system if you're allowed to openly steal what the emperor just barely gave someone. Like, why bother trying to win the favor of the emperor if people are allowed to just steal the favor right under his nose? Does kanly just give the baron the right to do whatever he wants to the Atreides short of atomics? Doesn't that just make kanly a free pass to steal whatever you want?

It’s completely accepted under the forms of kanly that the Harkonnens won’t take their expulsion lying down. The emperor’s formal order to Leto is “to take possession of this planet and end all dispute”. This is a euphemism for military occupation. It’s implicit that he will need to take the planet with force and put down resistance. Change of fief is expected by everyone to be violent to some extent, which is why there’s an imperial official (Judge of the Change) on the spot to arbitrate the fighting and keep it from escalating into total war. The Landsraad and galaxy at large didn’t expect a full scale invasion, but that’s because of practical concerns like full scale invasions being ridiculously expensive, not because it’s morally or politically off limits to them to attack another house in properly declared kanly. The only things the Baron conceals are 1) the emperor’s involvement and 2) that the Duke refused to accept quarter and exile before he died. He totally wants other houses to know that he did all this. The Baron is obviously on the ruthless side by the standards of space nobility, but his actions are just pushing the envelope and not outrageous to anyone who isn’t directly concerned, at least as long as the emperor’s complicity is concealed. That’s how ritual vendetta works in their culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

google's been way wrong before but okay, i'll take the L

I think it's a tie. They said under 140, you said approaching 180. Google's 155 threads that gap.