Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rantmo posted:

Holy poo poo, they just buffed Cygnar's Storm Division and a bunch of Warjacks (mostly by making them cheaper.) Stormblades sure looks like they've become really good and Stormguard might actually be worth taking now maybe?

Silverline are definitely a lot more appealing, regular Storm Guard are still fairly meh imo. Storm Blades gain a lot of staying power thanks to the solo buffs. The 'jack price reductions are great, but the Reliant and the Avenger will still not get used, they suffer from the same problem every multi-use heavy does - they can't do it all in one turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah Reliant and Avenger are always going to be tough sells, though I'm still going to magnetize my other Stormclad/Reliant kit, but Centurion getting cheaper and Shield Guard is great and Defender dropping two points is great for me because it's basically my default heavy.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

S.J. posted:

Silverline are definitely a lot more appealing, regular Storm Guard are still fairly meh imo. Storm Blades gain a lot of staying power thanks to the solo buffs. The 'jack price reductions are great, but the Reliant and the Avenger will still not get used, they suffer from the same problem every multi-use heavy does - they can't do it all in one turn.

The Reliant may be in play. It's only one point more expensive than an Ironclad, has a gun, and has an accumulator, with that last being huge. It can't do everything but is still a budget jack. Of course the Defender is now an actual thing at 14 points. I can't justify the slow Avenger for two points more than a Reliant.

Nine storm callers for nine points looks good.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

PP dropped the price for what looks to be the early bird all-in pledge for next week's Warcaster KS and it's eye watering at $200. One Cadre box, the book, and four Wild Card Heroes. It's not like I'm not going to pledge, because I'm a loving mark, but I'll be interested to see what the gently caress the price of the Cadre boxes and book are to necessitate that price tag. Maybe it's part of their way of dealing with uncertain shipping costs?

On a vaguely related note, does anyone still have the documents from the first two campaigns with all the model stats? I had them during the campaign but either deleted them entirely or renamed them or something stupid and I can't find them. I'm trying to convince my two wargamer friends to start playing and being able to share the details of, y'know, the game would be damned helpful.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

rantmo posted:

PP dropped the price for what looks to be the early bird all-in pledge for next week's Warcaster KS and it's eye watering at $200. One Cadre box, the book, and four Wild Card Heroes. It's not like I'm not going to pledge, because I'm a loving mark, but I'll be interested to see what the gently caress the price of the Cadre boxes and book are to necessitate that price tag. Maybe it's part of their way of dealing with uncertain shipping costs?
Went in on the first two, but that makes it easier to pass on this one. Both of the people I know who picked it up are never around for a game anyway.

quote:

On a vaguely related note, does anyone still have the documents from the first two campaigns with all the model stats? I had them during the campaign but either deleted them entirely or renamed them or something stupid and I can't find them. I'm trying to convince my two wargamer friends to start playing and being able to share the details of, y'know, the game would be damned helpful.
I've tried to find these as well without success, and for the same reason. Just absolutely baffling and frustrating.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Just this week they launched an official wiki with the stats and rules for everything released so far, it's pretty nice.

https://privateerpress.wiki/index.php?title=Warcaster

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

CaptCommy posted:

Just this week they launched an official wiki with the stats and rules for everything released so far, it's pretty nice.

https://privateerpress.wiki/index.php?title=Warcaster

Oh that's awesome, I saw when they launched the Riot Quest wiki but I didn't realize that Warcaster was there too. Thanks for this.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The Warcaster: The Thousand Worlds Kickstarter launched this morning and has already funded.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Indeed, looks like it could do better than Collision Course. Can you buy Add-ons with a $1 pledge? I just want an Outrider.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 14, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

smug jeebus posted:

Indeed, looks like it could do better than Collision Course. Can you buy Add-ons with a $1 pledge? I just want an Outrider.

Under the listing for the $1 pledge it does say you will have access to the Pledge Manager, so looks like a yes

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Hadn't checked the forums in a while. Saw a bunch of posts.

Less than five about playing the actual game.

Seems like a shame. I really liked this game when I had time. Never would have thought it would crap out so fast.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
People are starting to play again here, as more and more get the second dose of vaccine.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'd have been playing the game a lot more often but between having to deal with idiots who won't get vaxxed at work all day and the general anxiety of the world, I didn't feel like going over to someone's house with people who I don't trust to be safe. :shrug:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

waah posted:

Hadn't checked the forums in a while. Saw a bunch of posts.

Less than five about playing the actual game.

Seems like a shame. I really liked this game when I had time. Never would have thought it would crap out so fast.

They effectively ended the game with an apocalypse event and then ported their IP to a sci-fi setting and put all their focus into their new WMH40k kickstarters.

It’s really disappointing, but Mk3 was a divisive edition and Games Workshop extracting their heads from their asses didn’t help PP avoid sticking theirs’ right in after.

Ultimately no one wants to play a “dead game”, which is what WMH is by all appearances.

I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with my armies for a while, and I just inherited 3 more nearly complete armies from friends who couldn’t even liquidate what they had.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

koreban posted:

They effectively ended the game with an apocalypse event and then ported their IP to a sci-fi setting and put all their focus into their new WMH40k kickstarters.

While they're definitely putting a lot of time and effort into Warcaster (and Riot Quest and MonPoc), they have by no means ended Warmachine or Hordes. Oblivion was a major milestone in the setting and has changed a lot about that we're only starting to get a feel for in the IKRPG: Requiem setting but none of that constitutes the end of the game. PP has had a ton of turnover lately, particularly with their prominent designers, and that is for sure worrying but there's nothing that reasonably indicates that they're ending or effectively ending WMH.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I mean, yeah, PP doesn't want it to be a dead game, but a lot of us have had our local scenes entirely collapse, so it doesn't really matter what PP thinks about it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
IKRPG Requiem is another Kickstarter project that isn’t even slated to drop until the end of the year.

We were discussing the tabletop miniatures wargame, which is by all appearances, a dead game now.

They announced Orgoth as a limited faction release some time in 2022 and I had to google it before finishing this post because it was such a non-starter of an announcement I couldn’t remember if it was announced this year or last year.

Even the WMH subreddit has basically been just people posting their FOMO gacha box purchases.

I wish this wasn’t the case, but short of a new edition drop, I don’t know what revitalizes this game at this point. And before someone suggests “just start up a journeyman league in your area”, I *did*. Twice, pre-covid, and it didn’t stick.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Unfortunately, WMH suffers from being not 40k. It's like D&D or MTG, sure they're not the best games in their category out there, and there are certainly better ones, but everyone outside of the big name is automatically niche.

Even when WMH was less dormant, if you went to any hobby store, you'd find multitudes more 40k. With COVID everyone started picking up a hobby, and well, new randos are more likely to pick up a box of Space Marines vs a box of Temple Flame Guard, because they know what they are offhand.

It's just the way things work.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
There was a time not that long ago where there was way more WMH being played at our local FLGSs than anything GW. At the store I worked at for a while, the GW players were very much in the 'oh yes that exists too' category, and WMH had regular tournaments and free play days that were so packed we had to set up extra tables around the store.

Starting with Mk3 a succession of things seems to have killed it dead, although I guess there might be a bounce back after COVID restrictions relax a bit. But I won't be there to see it, because I haven't played in years now and from what I hear they wrote one of my factions out of the game, so not exactly a lot of attraction to coming back.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Some years ago the local store had a ton of Warmachine and Hordes going on, it was probably the dominant game. Going back recently Age of Sigmar is suddenly huge, tons of people playing it, and 40k is very healthy. Warmachine barely appears, no dedicated day for it, store only has some older boxes in a clearance section. I dropped out for a big chunk of the intervening time so I don't know exactly what happened locally, but it's pretty stark.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's definitely possible that COVID will prove to be the death knell of any Warmachine scenes left, I only played with two of my friends so I never interacted with what there was here in the first place (and it's all done on Facebook which I'm not on.) I suppose Wartable might be keeping some vestiges of the game alive at least.

As for Factions, nothing's been written out of the game even if we don't know what they're going to be doing with Protectorate going forward, I suppose it's possible that they'll stop creating models for them but that seems unlikely to me, though PP is certainly capable of making some baffling loving decisions, so who knows?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I mean I don't really think that they're likely to just delete Menoth from the game going forward, but that's certainly what it sounds like when you hear recent developments described. It's not going to be a key factor obviously, but I don't imagine it helps to be in the mix for a playerbase deciding whether to persist with the game, or not.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
It's worth noting that a board game can't really "die" as long as you find someone to play. I've never really had the flgs warmachine presence but that didn't stop me from playing warmachine with friends.

It does suck that it's less popular and that does make it harder, but not impossible.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

The decline of Warmahordes was marked by significant mismanagement at PP, as indicated by the total collapse of their senior staff, and by a long series of decisions to de-prioritize the game on both the production and development side. Riot Quest, Monsterpocalypse and Warcaster all represent huge expenditures of staff time and production pipeline in a very small shop. Warmahordes died, primarily, of neglect.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Serenade posted:

It's worth noting that a board game can't really "die" as long as you find someone to play. I've never really had the flgs warmachine presence but that didn't stop me from playing warmachine with friends.

It does suck that it's less popular and that does make it harder, but not impossible.

i've pretty much resigned myself to WMH being a game i play on the internet and then also i paint figures from the same setting

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Serenade posted:

While not actually untrue, this makes my closet into some sort of wildlife preserve for critically endangered games.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i've pretty much resigned myself to WMH being a game i play on the internet and then also i paint figures from the same setting

Speaking of this, is Vagrant still the standard here? Or is there a more popular platform nowadays?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

Speaking of this, is Vagrant still the standard here? Or is there a more popular platform nowadays?

https://wartable.online/ is what i use. maintained by the same people who run the WMH University wiki/discord and the Line of Sight podcast

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I haven't had a chance to play on Wartable recently but I've really, really enjoyed it every time I did.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

evenworse username posted:

There was a time not that long ago where there was way more WMH being played at our local FLGSs than anything GW. At the store I worked at for a while, the GW players were very much in the 'oh yes that exists too' category, and WMH had regular tournaments and free play days that were so packed we had to set up extra tables around the store.

Starting with Mk3 a succession of things seems to have killed it dead, although I guess there might be a bounce back after COVID restrictions relax a bit. But I won't be there to see it, because I haven't played in years now and from what I hear they wrote one of my factions out of the game, so not exactly a lot of attraction to coming back.

Yeah around mk3 launch we had warmachine outnumbering 40k at our club. Stone dead now except for home games and there are easily 50 people showing up to each 40k event.

I suspect PP discovered they could get a cash infusion via the CID process and online orders - hey look, when we put out effectively a new minifaction a bunch of the tournament players buy it all, repeat. However that just completely lost the people like me who just want to buy one new model/unit at a time and try out different combinations and casters with them (along with the rise of nearly required themes so I went from a coherent set of models to 3 half-baked subfactions)

(It was the period where Menoth basically moved over to Champions and Initiates that killed my momentum, i didn't want to buy so many clearly required units...)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I played Mercs, so it's not like I was ever really worried about chasing that winning meta. But as a hobbyist I got really frustrated that so many of their releases started showing up unpainted or even just as apparently renders. It's one thing when I'm backing a kickstarter or buying some random figures some guy casts in his basement/home prints, but the way that PP went from showing 3D rotations of painted figures to now where it's often a grey render makes it feel real slipshod.

Also, I was going to check their website to see if this was still true, but not only is it true, their gallery pages haven't been updated to include a bunch of new stuff, and prompt you to download Flash to see the older rotated figures. Not really a good sign.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Christ, PP's website is bad and the completely stalled out process of updating the old site is deeply, deeply embarrassing. The lack of 360 views for newer models, especially the new Warcaster warjacks, is just such a shitshow and it's not like the non-Flash means to do so doesn't exist because Atomic Mass is pulling it off fine.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
The reliance of greyscale renders or line art does bug me a lot, especially for minicrate and Riot Quest models.

Neat limited edition model, would be even better if I could see a physical interpretation of it. Even a quick studio paint job.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I don't think warmahordes is dead, but I absolutely one hundred percent believe that every other game they're producing right now is a better gaming experience.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

S.J. posted:

I don't think warmahordes is dead, but I absolutely one hundred percent believe that every other game they're producing right now is a better gaming experience.

:emptyquote:

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

S.J. posted:

Have you been playing Warcaster? I was pretty excited for the elevator pitch, but the one time I tried it was pretty miserable. Now that there's more actual in-person gaming (for now, lol) I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on it.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah I'm looking forward to Warcaster 2.0

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

warcaster grymkin when

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

warcaster grymkin when

I really really liked the mechanics of Warmachine, and thought it was an AMAZING game, but for me the huge reason why it's never going to be as big as 40k is that there are no factions that I really like. (Or at least, there weren't until Cephalyx became an army).

I appreciate that this is just anecdotal, sample size of one, etc etc, but Cygnar are 'not' Space Marines. They're just nowhere near as resonant. Cryx are NOT Chaos. Again, just not really cohesive enough.

I don't think it would take a huge amount to push them over the top, but as is, a lot of the armies are actually kind of samey. The main guy I play against plays Trolls, and we've been playing for ... God, over 8 years? And I STILL have no idea which trolls are which. Like, of course I sort of do, but I still get gotcha'd sometimes because I think some monstrosity is just a dude or the other way round, or because I forget which one does which.

Legion, I have no loving hope.

And, it's not to say they aren't cool designs. They absolutely are. But they're just not iconic enough.

There's a huge element of 40k that is just collecting. Hell, 'most' people I know that have painted up models don't play regular games, and a lot of them haven't ever played. The game itself is ... kind of trash? I mean decent enough, but ... no one is really playing it for the game. They're playing it for the fantasy. People LOVE theorycrafting and conjecture. "MY TERMINATORS WOULD CRUSH YOUR HORRORS!" A huge huge part of that is the total buy in to the armies themselves.

I've ever bought GW models just because they 'look' so cool that I wanted to own it, outside of having any designs on playing with it. I appreciate that it's a difficult skill that's taken GW years to perfect, but I just wonder if maybe some of PP's resources would have been better spent in this direction? The models for Warcaster are cool and all, but if I took models from 3 of the different armies and someone painted them in the same colour scheme, I literally wouldn't know which was which without looking them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Legion of Everblight speaks to me more than Tyranids ever did. Everblight himself being a juvenile narcissist screaming "gently caress YOU DAD! I'M A DRAGON!" is the funniest poo poo in the world and much as Proteus is basically a swole Lictor, I like him better than the model they stole from. :v: