Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stick it to the man! was good but I haven't gotten around to really playing Flipping Death yet, I probably should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Will the Steam Deck be able to play Battlefield 2042? Curious...

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I guess EA is remaking Dead Space 1?

https://twitter.com/EA/status/1418268376447787011

Wonder if it's just the same game with better graphics or if they're re-imagining it like Capcom did with RE2?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Saoshyant posted:

This looks just like my sort of thing. It's gorgeous.

No joke, even apart from literally everything else, even if the gameplay sucks or the story is crap, I feel like I could enjoy just looking at that game

For me good presentation is probably near the top for what I want in a game. That doesn't mean AAA graphics, it just means making a beautiful game however you do it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Veotax posted:

Wonder if it's just the same game with better graphics or if they're re-imagining it like Capcom did with RE2?

I dunno if things have changed enough since 2008 for a complete rebuild to make sense, the basic gameplay feels relatively modern.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is all from some EA event? Are they finally showing C&C Remastered 2? 'Cause I need that Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 modernized, stat.

Play posted:

For me good presentation is probably near the top for what I want in a game. That doesn't mean AAA graphics, it just means making a beautiful game however you do it.

:yeah:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Will the Steam Deck be able to play Battlefield 2042? Curious...
Gonna say no. Origin does not support Linux. So basically any EA Play game that requires Origin is not gonna work. Same with any Ubisoft game that requires UPlay.

But it probably would've been no anyway. I mean on very low settings with the integrated graphics and the Frostbyte engine you'd probably get a framerate in the low 20s at best.

Just expect that any Steam game that requires an outside launcher/service is going to either not work or require extensive third-party configuration. Maybe Valve can reach an agreement with those publishers but I don't think there's much incentive for them to play ball here. Ubisoft for example already said they would wait to see how Steam Deck performs first.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 22, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The previous one mostly works in Proton apparently

https://www.protondb.com/app/1238810

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah it seems like you need to install the clients via WINE and then hope for the best. none of the mainline Assassin's Creeds for Ubisoft are rated Platinum on ProtonDB, for example.

But also if there's any anti-cheat then that's also a hurdle, although Valve said they're working to support the different anti-cheat solutions in the Deck version of Proton.

Square-Enix is probably the largest publisher to actually support and provide native Linux versions of their games

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

...performance wise the new BF would probably be a struggle though, they are primarily targeting the new gen consoles (and equivalent PCs) with last gen consoles getting a cut down version that can't crossplay with the full version

Ideally the Deck would get the cut down version but that's not going to happen

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Veotax posted:

From what I can see in that short teaser, it sure does look almost exactly like DS1.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I mean, anyone who played through Dead Space as a kid and was effected by it as much as I was is absolutely gonna have to buy that game just to see what it's like

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I assume they are backporting the microtransactions from 3 into 1?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Square-Enix is probably the largest publisher to actually support and provide native Linux versions of their games

Well they were, but that initiative seems to have fizzled out. AFAICT the last games they ported were SOTR and LIS:2, both late 2018 games, and nothing since.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

I assume they are backporting the microtransactions from 3 into 1?

EA hasn’t really done the micro transaction thing much outside of sports games since it blew up in their faces with Battlefront II.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (August 5th)

A real acid trip of a game rescued from the dark corners of the Xbox 360, the horrifically translated store page is incredible: "Is such equipment all right? That's ok. No problem "3D jump action" "3D battle" "2D action" "2D battle" Experience a game in which the elements that are the origin of the fun of these four action games are mixed in a well-balanced manner!"

They made a loving video game about Metatron :aaa: that is sick. What is the plot. How the story go

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Mescal posted:

They made a loving video game about Metatron :aaa: that is sick. What is the plot. How the story go

It's strange as gently caress. If I remember, it's a kind of beat em up where the bosses are angels. It was hard and I never got far. It's innovative.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mescal posted:

it’s a beat-by-beat retelling of the book of enoch, albeit with a bunch of visual flourish and metaphor that will probably make it seem like an incomprehensible acid trip even if you’re familiar with the source material. angels go rogue, God’s servant Enoch goes to give them what for, Lucifer is on call to assist (literally, he routinely dials up the big guy on a cellphone and you keep encountering him having one-sided conversations about your progress). also everyone wears designer jeans because there was a product tie-in

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

also everyone wears designer jeans because there was a product tie-in

hahaha I love that, loving hilarious

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

Gonna say no. Origin does not support Linux. So basically any EA Play game that requires Origin is not gonna work. Same with any Ubisoft game that requires UPlay.

But it probably would've been no anyway. I mean on very low settings with the integrated graphics and the Frostbyte engine you'd probably get a framerate in the low 20s at best.

Just expect that any Steam game that requires an outside launcher/service is going to either not work or require extensive third-party configuration. Maybe Valve can reach an agreement with those publishers but I don't think there's much incentive for them to play ball here. Ubisoft for example already said they would wait to see how Steam Deck performs first.

Thanks :) When they say they will support AAA games, I take it that often times come with caveats...

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Veotax posted:

They are going to make it all fixed camera angles and tank controls.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

From what I can see in that short teaser, it sure does look almost exactly like DS1.

Dead Space 1 is a fairly old game, relatively speaking and does not look anything like that.

That said, Dead Space 1 also still plays totally fine and while a visual refresh would be nice I am hopeful that the specificity of "remake" not remaster means we'll get some more interesting tweaks too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

Dead Space 1 is a fairly old game, relatively speaking and does not look anything like that.

That said, Dead Space 1 also still plays totally fine and while a visual refresh would be nice I am hopeful that the specificity of "remake" not remaster means we'll get some more interesting tweaks too.

Design wise I mean. Like, that's the same game 1 armor and the aesthetics are the same.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Design wise I mean. Like, that's the same game 1 armor and the aesthetics are the same.

I mean I think it'd be kind of a gently caress up to remake a beloved game and drastically change the aesthetics but fair.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

I mean I think it'd be kind of a gently caress up to remake a beloved game and drastically change the aesthetics but fair.

*Thinks in Mirror's Edge* your right, EA would never

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

*Thinks in Mirror's Edge* your right, EA would never

...Look.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I dunno if things have changed enough since 2008 for a complete rebuild to make sense, the basic gameplay feels relatively modern.

The PC version has some physics bugs if you don't play 30 FPS VSync'd, like corpses/items sliding to one side of a room or going flying from tiny impacts. Not sure if that's really enough for a remaster though.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I wonder if there will be any scary bathrooms to visit!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Floodkiller posted:

The PC version has some physics bugs if you don't play 30 FPS VSync'd, like corpses/items sliding to one side of a room or going flying from tiny impacts. Not sure if that's really enough for a remaster though.

I remember the mouse control would poo poo the bed (also the load times) if you played it with vsync on. Never saw the physics bugs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I played with Vsyc off because it really hosed with the mouse smoothing or something, can't remember if the framerate was locked or anything. Curious to see how this and the Callisto Protocol (A PUBG GAME (tm)) compare with one another, since that one's by the original Dead Space guys.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

it’s a beat-by-beat retelling of the book of enoch, albeit with a bunch of visual flourish and metaphor that will probably make it seem like an incomprehensible acid trip even if you’re familiar with the source material. angels go rogue, God’s servant Enoch goes to give them what for, Lucifer is on call to assist (literally, he routinely dials up the big guy on a cellphone and you keep encountering him having one-sided conversations about your progress). also everyone wears designer jeans because there was a product tie-in

What brand of jeans

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Neverwinter Nights is not a beautiful game but it has a charm to it and I really, really like it

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks for the answers about Mafia DE. I also looked at some more reviews and comparisons and I can appreciate that they do their own thing with the story. Plus Mafia 2 and 3 aren't bad games, the modern graphics make them atmospheric as hell. I think I'm gonna get it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mescal posted:

What brand of jeans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ1Z5TIx4wI

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lmao Neverwinter Nights Trolls

Never not gonna laugh at those lumpy dudes and their weird little slap attack

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I had an amazing time a few years back with Neverwinter Nights and that Infinite Dungeon module. Stupid, but hilarious. I had crazy magic armour.

.random
May 7, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Neverwinter Nights is not a beautiful game but it has a charm to it and I really, really like it

Behold the glory of the One True Neverwinter Nights

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/Steam/status/1418337560120631297
lol

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Well, I guess they had to ramp up the Olympic Games format a bit to make it more attractive during the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Got deleted, but here it is for everyone else to enjoy: