Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

sounds like your typical isekaj power fantasy crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gonna be checking this out over the weekend, hope it's good

https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1418146253137842177

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it has this strange pervasive objection to free will. aside from gods, everyone else who ends up on the mc's side goes through radical cognitive alteration and often biological alteration as well. the result is absolute loyalty and devotion and a bunch of monster women who want to jump a tiny child's bones. it's very unsettling and i'm not sure if that is intended or not.

Yeah theirs a lot of psychosexual stuff going on in death Mage. From normalized polygamy, to the aforementioned mind control.

Ffs the main character is basically a gender reversal of the classic "1000 demon trapped in the body of a 14 year old girl"

Though to the works credit the mc is uninterested in sex and romance due to the emotional suppression. The waifus are an afterthought to the plot.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That Time I Died And Got Reincarnated As An Elf Wizard Only To Quickly Die Again And Get Reincarnated As A Salaryman At A Lower Paying Job

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember once reading the first chapter of a reverse isekai where the evil lich lord is reincarnated in modern-day japan as a kid. Wonder if that turned out good or bad.

Oh poo poo, how could we forget Spirit Circle, wich isn't quite isekai but is about a guy remembering his past lives including ones in the future because time isn't quite linear.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I keep getting mad about wonder egg

"I've decided I'm going to become a warrior of Eros!" after like 5 episodes detailing the trauma of vanity and being assaulted by trusted adults in powerful positions and the victims maybe feeling SOME sort of respite, that someone stood up for them, before oblivion

Also the whole Frill nonsense.

loving christ the soundtrack and direction is so good too

Edit: listening to the soundtrack, it sounds heavily inspired by Lisa The Painful/Lisa the Hopeful

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Jul 22, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember once reading the first chapter of a reverse isekai where the evil lich lord is reincarnated in modern-day japan as a kid. Wonder if that turned out good or bad.

Oh poo poo, how could we forget Spirit Circle, wich isn't quite isekai but is about a guy remembering his past lives including ones in the future because time isn't quite linear.

dead mount death play is rad because it is by narita ryohgo, of baccano! fame. like most of his works, it is an ensemble piece about supernatural criminals.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dead mount death play is rad because it is by narita ryohgo, of baccano! fame. like most of his works, it is an ensemble piece about supernatural criminals.

Nice, gonna re-check it then. I liked Baccano!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Huh, yeah I guess the Chronicles of Narnia are all Isekais except for the one about the horse

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I'd read these manga in a heartbeat if the artists were Kaori Mori, Kamome Shirahama, Irie Aki, Kasai Sui, or Ryoko Kui.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ok, turns out Dead Mount Death Play actually owns, if you like hosed up supernatural criminals doing spoopy stuff.

The best is the illusionist who's doing Batman villain stuff trying to find actual magic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's also GRANBELM, which is a pretty fun post-Madoka show about lesbians duelling with robots.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
if we're doing robots that have a person inside, then OP should just watch Big-O which is about a robot that is piloted by a batman

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

just remembered this pic i posted itt

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

christmas boots posted:

That Time I Died And Got Reincarnated As An Elf Wizard Only To Quickly Die Again And Get Reincarnated As A Salaryman At A Lower Paying Job

Choking On A Pretzel After Becoming God King Of All Cosmos Led To Me Being Reborn As A Heroin-Addicted Crust Punk In 1980s San Diego?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kit Walker posted:

Choking On A Pretzel After Becoming God King Of All Cosmos Led To Me Being Reborn As A Heroin-Addicted Crust Punk In 1980s San Diego?

I would read this

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

if we're doing robots that have a person inside, then OP should just watch Big-O which is about a robot that is piloted by a batman

Big Owns.

GIant Robo is also a classic.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

I Conquered the World From Demons But Now I'm Fighting ISIS!?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m surprised that no one has tried to rip off Quantum Leap in an isekai. Protagonist gets killed or dies of old age and wakes up in a new world at the end of every chapter/episode. Would make a great first episode cliffhanger for the MC to set off on some grand isekai quest in ye olde medieval world and all of a sudden looks around and he’s in cyber world, smash cut to credits.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Casey Finnigan posted:

you don't need to relate to a protagonist and they don't need to be a good person but the premise of the series is literally "a normal guy is sent into an MMO world as an evil skeleton with godlike power, how is he going to handle it."

Then they decide "well he just is that evil skeleton, in every way down to his inner thoughts, and the normal guy part of him doesn't exist anymore." It's just a huge waste of potential that blandifies the series

what the gently caress is this? i've literally just watched clips from overlord and they constantly show ainz reflecting on the fact that he's fully aware of the contrast between his numbed emotions and how he'd normally feel about things. like he's about to summon the children of shug-niggurath and the summoning alone with kill an entire oppposing army and he's like "a bunch of people are about to die. normally i'd be freaking out. i should be freaking out. but instead i'm just excited to show off a cool spell." apart from allowing him to massacre people who have no chance of fighting back, though, he also seems to really care about the main cast of former NPCs who came along with him, and he consciously relies on the numbing to cope with the responsibility he feels towards them.

he does get mad about the adventurers he knows being killed though. since the clips are highlights and he definitely is mad at the person who killed them. he lays out how hypocritical it would be for him to be pissed off, then at the end of the fight the last thing he tells he is that he's actually a huge hypocrite. which is implicitly why he kills her in such an unpleasant manner instead of just stopping her heart.

likewise, saying that he's about to genocide the lizard people is inaccurate. he instead accepts their entry into his empire, on pain of genocide!

i dunno, maybe the clips show literally the only parts where things are well executed or something

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 01:16 on Jul 23, 2021

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
oh no, people watch overlord? the anime?

ohhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Office Pig posted:

oh no, people watch overlord? the anime?

ohhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i actually want to go and watch like one punch man or something and find out that everything i haven't seen on youtube is really tedious and boring or something

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Great Tomb of Nazarick is a metaphor for Israel, you heard it here first folks.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Hodgepodge posted:

i dunno, maybe the clips show literally the only parts where things are well executed or something

come on bro at least watch a few episodes of the show instead of highlight clips. they spent like three whole episodes with that adventuring party and his only reaction is being slightly extra when he kills a redshirt that he was gonna kill anyway. it's a waste of the audience's time to reinforce the already clear point that the big skeleton doesn't have much emotion.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Casey Finnigan posted:

come on bro at least watch a few episodes of the show instead of highlight clips

i did watch a few full episodes (that were free at decent resolutions without an annoying border to cut down the screen size on YouTube), but they were pretty early ones so the same principle that it could have dropped the ball on the good parts elsewhere applies

or at least i think they were early, iirc they were the ones where sebas is playing hero

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hodgepodge posted:

likewise, saying that he's about to genocide the lizard people is inaccurate. he instead accepts their entry into his empire, on pain of genocide!

The plan was originally to wipe out the lizardmen because they were too close to Nazarick and presented a threat - or could reveal them to the world before they were ready for it. He only changes his mind because the lizardmen put up a tough resistance, and figures they'd make better fighters than fertilizer.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The plan was originally to wipe out the lizardmen because they were too close to Nazarick and presented a threat - or could reveal them to the world before they were ready for it. He only changes his mind because the lizardmen put up a tough resistance, and figures they'd make better fighters than fertilizer.

i think it's the fact that the game elements in the world (especially the spellcasting) borrow so much from d&d that makes the concept work. like just imagining the whole scenario being shown from the perspective of a random lizardman tribe that would normally be eventually obliterated by the adventurers we see in the human kingdoms is great, i should probably watch it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It was only ever a manga, but Naoki Urasawa's Pluto is head and shoulders above most in the genre

I'm annoyed Madhouse never gave this the Monster treatment

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good soup! posted:

I'm annoyed Madhouse never gave this the Monster treatment

Monster was a Titan of manga and Pluto is still relatively obscure is why. It's even crazier that there's never been an adaptation of 20th Century Boys.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
my wife loving loved Pluto and has sent me the scans for it 90 times, i should probably take her up on it finally

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Monster was a Titan of manga and Pluto is still relatively obscure is why. It's even crazier that there's never been an adaptation of 20th Century Boys.

There were some bad movies

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

There were some bad movies

yeah well of course a live action movie wasn't gonna work

coathat
May 21, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Pluto isn’t obscure in japan. None of his manga are even close to obscure.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

that's a funny way to spell billy bat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

yeah well of course a live action movie wasn't gonna work

the live action wasn't the problem, animated movies wouldn't have worked either. The manga jumps around chronologically but it's OK because it was a weekly manga. Act 1 ends with a time jump and it's like "WHAAAAAT????" but then you start finding out next week. They can't do that with movies that come out a year or more apart. Audiences would've been pissed if the first movie ended like act 1 of the manga. So they made two decisions that both make perfect sense for movies but hosed the whole project

1. They actually show the showdown with Friend at the end of the first movie. Which makes sense, it's an exciting action climax for a movie. But the problem is that you don't understand the significance of all of it because you haven't been given enough of the backstory by that point. So instead of the "WHAAAATT???" ending of the manga you get more of a "wait, what's going on?". And it fucks over the second movie a bit because so much of the reader's interest in the second act is finding out what happened in the showdown. The school girl researching the event is completely superfluous in the second movie because the viewer isn't going on the journey with her like the reader of the manga is.

2. They cut the guy the singing Bob Lennon to his niece before the showdown. Once again, makes perfect sense, you can't grind the movie to a halt to show a guy sing an entire song immediately before the big climax. But that's the most important scene in the whole story. The author recorded himself singing the song and included a CD of it with the manga so the reader could listen to it as they read the chapter, it's that important. You make the completely understandable and correct decision to cut that for pacing, and you've also hosed the rest of the trilogy.

Basically, they shouldn't' have made movies of it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ManuclearBomb/status/1418405183290331139?s=20

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Darth Walrus posted:

Turn A Gundam is an incredible confluence of artistic talent, and the protagonist dude rocks a ballgown.

Syd Mead (of Blade Runner and Alien fame) is the mechanical designer...

... and Yoko Kanno (the lady who did the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack) is in charge of the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgYKIZa3ktQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdzyZO3fbDY

I will never forgive Tomino for cucking sochie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

sonny boy is currently airing and seems a bit like the wandering classroom