Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
who cares how anyone plays any game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
she/they are right. play the game how you want too

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

indigi posted:

as a great philosopher once told us, Cheating Happens In Multiplayer

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

im the picrew avatar

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Junkozeyne posted:

There are plenty of rpg systems where roleplaying is more emphasized than combat, just play one of those?

you've understood her point perfectly

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

was expecting "munchkin is an ableist term"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

a game necessarily has rules, and if you play a character that sucks poo poo according to those rules, then you're going to be a drag on everyone else

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If you're gonna play a character like that, then at least find a group who's okay with it

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

a game necessarily has rules, and if you play a character that sucks poo poo according to those rules, then you're going to be a drag on everyone else

because twitter knows the opinion of the other players at this particular table

for all the armchair minmaxers on twitter know, the other players find it novel that they have to pretty much protect this character out of whatever reason their characters have to associate with it

the hot take is only lukewarm.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you're gonna play a character like that, then at least find a group who's okay with it

i'd presume they already have, because i'm going to take the assumption that people are generally cooperative when there are social consequences like 'not being invited to game night' involved.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Warmachine posted:

i'd presume they already have, because i'm going to take the assumption that people are generally cooperative when there are social consequences like 'not being invited to game night' involved.

Ok then why complain about it online.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Warmachine posted:

I think maybe you should take a peak into the bad gaming experiences thread if you think "negative social consequences" is a deterrent

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

because people can’t stop mansplaining how to enjoy tabletop RPGs on twitter

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
what, you can play odd characters that are weak/useless. this is clearly a critique of min/maxing

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this person probably mentioned it in a conversation, took flak for it, and went on twitter to soapbox

The latter part there is some extreme idiots on social media, but not because they're wrong.

Internet Wizard posted:

I think maybe you should take a peak into the bad gaming experiences thread if you think "negative social consequences" is a deterrent

There's not a :thunk: big enough for this particular post. I'll leave you to think about how a thread for explicitly bad experiences might be biased toward extreme cases and not a representative sample.

loving lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
my DM shared a video of hers before (not in a passive aggressive trying to make a point way, he’d just seen it and liked it) about things players can do to help the DM run the game and iirc it was all pretty non-offensive stuff like take notes on important stuff so it’s not just up to the DM to remember things, don’t be a dick to other players, you don’t need to have a convoluted backstory but it’s great if you have a couple hooks in there the DM can grab and tie into the story.

pretty basic stuff

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

really the argument shouldn't be that "its a game" but "its improv theater with way too many rules"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
That person is right and people who get bent out of shape about nerd math improv should stop inflicting themselves on other gamers and the internet in general. just paint the figurines and smoke weed while killing God with your friends

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

indigi posted:

for real, just utterly baffling that this is even a conversation and I've played tabletop RPGs for longer than a lot of posters have been alive

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/indepdubnrth/status/1417910193267122179?s=21

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

are you the sort of poo poo FOR BRAINS who puts BAIL and POOR TAX under the Free Parking corner of the board? then you need to STAY OUT OF GAMER SAFE SPACES

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Getting real sick of all those people with Ebola that keeping going to Applebee's.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

imagining the reaction of someone with clear Ebola symptoms walking into a restaurant and demanding service

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Flesh Forge posted:

imagining the reaction of someone with clear Ebola symptoms walking into a restaurant and demanding service

christmas boots posted:

Getting real sick of all those people with Ebola that keeping going to Applebee's.

Ha ha! Fast food, am I right?! Fast in fast out!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

That was such a fun thread to read but I had to stop lurking it a few years ago when they combined it with the good gaming experiences thread. Good experiences are just so much duller to read about

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
When it comes down to any kind of game, the journey is more important than the destination.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Colonel Cancer posted:

When it comes down to any kind of game, the journey is more important than the destination.

This is also the only fundamental distinction between gaming and cranking off

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

She’s right.

If the rest of the table is onboard, go for it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

dang another hot take

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
clearly if the elf has no hit point but is still alive, it has something interesting going on

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

indigi posted:

are you the sort of poo poo FOR BRAINS who puts BAIL and POOR TAX under the Free Parking corner of the board? then you need to STAY OUT OF GAMER SAFE SPACES

:yeah:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
if you can't design an amusing and suitable mechanic balanced around the power gap left by the suboptimal stat choices of the player, gary gygax frowns upon you from his dm chair upon mt. celestia, imo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

drat horror queefs posted:

Maybe 4 u :grin:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hodgepodge posted:

clearly if the elf has no hit point but is still alive, it has something interesting going on

Roll for stack overflow.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hodgepodge posted:

Aren't the rules for dying built around dropping to 0hp? In which case, starting off at 0hp would make you immortal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I highly recommend reading the whole list particularly the end

https://twitter.com/mattprescott/status/1417616611721289730?s=19

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
the account is protected. what did it say?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
fortunately the entire thing got screenshotted here but the ending was something else

https://twitter.com/KeejayOV3/status/1418253817360101383?s=20
https://twitter.com/LukeJames_32/status/1418256915256254465?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I like that complete non entity Gisela Stuart makes no3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Aren't the rules for dying built around dropping to 0hp? In which case, starting off at 0hp would make you immortal.

well see that's why everyone's mad