Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Question for the thread: is there a sci-fi novel that features a game that is only played on a planet that’s about to explode/by a sun that’s about to supernova and has to be completed before that happens? I don’t feel like it was central to the plot necessarily. My friend thought it was part of Player of Games but as I’ve just read it I decided that wasn’t likely since I didn’t remember that. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is the climax of player of games, the planet has a wildfire that runs across its entire surface and burns everything down, which then re-grows in time for it to be burned down again when the fire reaches the other side of the planet again. And the game is being played on a moving fortress that constantly drives around the planet to stay ahead of the fire, the emperor stops it because he is corncobbing about losing the game and decides to kill everyone by letting the fire catch up.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Player of Games has the final game on a planet that entirely burns itself in a giant wildfire at regular intervals, could be that?

e: you pause to plot check yourself...

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Consider Phlebas also has a game being played on a world that's about to be destroyed, but it's the controlled demolition of a ringworld.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

2 novels by Peter F Hamilton (Great Northern Road and whatever the 'confederation' series about souls coming back to life is called) involve species which have lifecycles based on solar phenomena, could you be maybe mixing it up with that?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

the planet has a wildfire that runs across its entire surface and burns everything down, which then re-grows in time for it to be burned down again when the fire reaches the other side of the planet again. And the game is being played on a moving fortress that constantly drives around the planet to stay ahead of the fire, the emperor stops it because he is corncobbing about losing the game and decides to kill everyone by letting the fire catch up.
mood

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Consider Phlebas also has a planet with a mobile train command center that can constantly move. So I think the two thngs banks likes are people playing games during the apocalypse and train forts.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Thanks for all the Banks chat recently. It’s pushed me to finally read the last Culture book The Hydrogen Sonata. I was saving it since there won’t be any more. But if I read it, then I get to reread them anyway :unsmith:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

OwlFancier posted:

Consider Phlebas also has a planet with a mobile train command center that can constantly move. So I think the two thngs banks likes are people playing games during the apocalypse and train forts.

and writing lots of freaky sex scenes

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Consider Phlebas also has a game being played on a world that's about to be destroyed, but it's the controlled demolition of a ringworld.

I think this is it! Thanks!

I did ask him if it was the fire planet but it was definitely the planet being destroyed not just a fire passing round. Just finished pog and really enjoyed it. Think I’ve gathered sufficient momentum that I’ll likely be reading all the series over the next few months.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sounds like the Frieza arc tbh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Private Speech posted:

whatever the 'confederation' series about souls coming back to life is called

Night's Dawn.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

killerwhat posted:

Thanks for all the Banks chat recently. It’s pushed me to finally read the last Culture book The Hydrogen Sonata. I was saving it since there won’t be any more. But if I read it, then I get to reread them anyway :unsmith:

its a pretty nice conclusion i thought

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Just Another Lurker posted:

William Crozier!!!!! :argh:

I watched too much C&Rsenal NOT to know that name.

I thought he was the bloke that died on the Terror and Erebus?

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Speaking of leftist non-fiction has anyone read the Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McKellen? It starts with the overthrow of a king and guillotining of all the upper classes and leads to the masses rising up to deal with a god the rich bastards forgot to tell every one about! It's nowhere near as out their as a M Banks book but the whole trilogy is some drat good leftist fantasy.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

OwlFancier posted:

The one all about ascension (Hydrogen sonata?) Has a scary culture warship jump into a set of rails and cruise along behind a blimp, also a giant base doing a star wars trench run so you might be onto something there.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Jakabite posted:

Question for the thread: is there a sci-fi novel that features a game that is only played on a planet that’s about to explode/by a sun that’s about to supernova and has to be completed before that happens? I don’t feel like it was central to the plot necessarily. My friend thought it was part of Player of Games but as I’ve just read it I decided that wasn’t likely since I didn’t remember that. Any ideas?

The planet getting regularly scorched by the sun and reset is also a component of the game they play in the Three Body Problem.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

I thought he was the bloke that died on the Terror and Erebus?

That would be Sir John Franklin from the Franklin Expedition and he died before they even got to the cannibalism. :discourse:

edit:

Mr Owl posted:

Speaking of leftist non-fiction has anyone read the Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McKellen? It starts with the overthrow of a king and guillotining of all the upper classes and leads to the masses rising up to deal with a god the rich bastards forgot to tell every one about! It's nowhere near as out their as a M Banks book but the whole trilogy is some drat good leftist fantasy.

That was a pretty good trilogy, different enough to stand out.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 23, 2021

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Cookie Cutter posted:

The planet getting regularly scorched by the sun and reset is also a component of the game they play in the Three Body Problem.

Was also going to say that. 3 Body Problem is an absolute Pro read.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Sajid Javid has been pretty notable by his absence in the news since he tested positive for Covid, has anyone seen any stories or anything that reference him in the last week or so?

Honestly expected him to be everywhere, telling everyone how having Covid really isn't that bad so we should all just get back to normal, but nothing.

Wondering if he's actually genuinely ill or something.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Just Another Lurker posted:

That would be Sir John Franklin from the Franklin Expedition and he died before they even got to the cannibalism. :discourse:

I was thinking of this chap!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Crozier

I must have been mashing him and a few other people together in my head!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Goldskull posted:

Was also going to say that. 3 Body Problem is an absolute Pro read.

really want to read this and i think they’re making it into a movie so i need to be quick so i can be all “oh yeah i read the book before it was famous” like LOTR

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

I was thinking of this chap!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Crozier

I must have been mashing him and a few other people together in my head!

Oh nice one, i never noticed that name till you did. :)

Born in Banbridge... oh well then, he was doomed from the start.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Does anyone have more of a clip of what he was saying in context?

https://twitter.com/JRsArmchair/status/1418458599391694848?s=19

I mean it is GMB and it is Madely, so it's very easy to imagine no context needed.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Regarding Banks chat:

quote:

They gloried, first and foremost, in their cruelty. Their cruelty was the point. They were not thoughtless. They knew they hurt their own kind and others and they revelled in it; it was their purpose. The rest - the robust joviality, the blokish vivacity - was part happy accident, part cunningly exaggerated ploy, the equivalent of an angelic-looking child discovering that a glowing smile will melt the severest adult heart and excuse almost any act, however dreadful.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Those space Tory blimps were vile but the alternative was space Jeremy Corbyn so they were the sensible choice

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’ve read the first of the 3BP trilogy and then struggled with the second - they’re quite difficult reading compared with Banks, who really couldn’t be easier. Amazing though, loved the first and enjoyed what I read of the second but just didn’t have the mental energy at the time, to read anything more complicated than a biff and chip book I suspect. Think I’ll get back to them soon though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Those space Tory blimps were vile but the alternative was space Jeremy Corbyn so they were the sensible choice

Space Jeremy Corbyn (LSV Melon Farmer) would have gotten Special Circumstances-ed for refusing to answer "Would you Gridfire the Idirans?".

Antigravitas posted:

Regarding Banks chat:

Sounds like someone we know to a T.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DesperateDan posted:

I don't drink booze really but still ferment some fruit wine once or twice a year cause it's really fun and good for gifting

You can get yourself rolling for like a fiver at wilkos there's no excuses

Tell us more.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

Space Jeremy Corbyn (LSV Melon Farmer) would have gotten Special Circumstances-ed for refusing to answer "Would you Gridfire the Idirans?".

Not to mention the continuous accusations of anti-Zetetic-ism

minema
May 31, 2011
how do you distinguish mental health problems caused by realising we live in a hosed up society that's only going to get worse as climate change kicks in more and more from actual mental health problems caused by biochemistry

cant tell if my panic attacks are from my longstanding OCD and should up my SSRI dose or just a normal reaction to the world we live in

sorry for posting this poo poo I just don't know who else would understand

my meds got changed to a different brand this week and normally I'm aware of all of the above but can appreciate life as it is now but this week it's all I can think about and suicidal thoughts are creeping back in

minema fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 23, 2021

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Could this in any way be linked to the med change? :/

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jakabite posted:

I’ve read the first of the 3BP trilogy and then struggled with the second - they’re quite difficult reading compared with Banks, who really couldn’t be easier. Amazing though, loved the first and enjoyed what I read of the second but just didn’t have the mental energy at the time, to read anything more complicated than a biff and chip book I suspect. Think I’ll get back to them soon though.

The first half of the second book is a bit of a slog, but it gets wild after that and doesn't really stop until the end of the third book. Some insane concepts in them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

would you sublimate sausages jeremy

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Jakabite posted:

Yeah I'm happy with just reading the first book for now, to be honest. It was great but extremely "beep boop", more like slowly unlocking a puzzle box than a novel. I'm not in a very hard sci-fi place with my reading right now so I'm probably biased. Might revisit it later.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, the news is no better or worse than it was a week ago, so it's presumably down to the change in your prescription.

I'd also suggest that you don't spend your entire day refreshing your news feeds every few minutes and getting anxious from what you read, but as I've proved incapable of stopping doing that myself, I can hardly lecture anyone else.

minema
May 31, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Could this in any way be linked to the med change? :/

Writing it out has made it blindingly obvious to me yeah, I'm on the phone to the pharmacy now getting them swapped. It's weird because the active ingredient is still exactly the same so you wouldn't think that would have any effect!

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, the news is no better or worse than it was a week ago, so it's presumably down to the change in your prescription.

I'd also suggest that you don't spend your entire day refreshing your news feeds every few minutes and getting anxious from what you read, but as I've proved incapable of stopping doing that myself, I can hardly lecture anyone else.

Making your phone black and white helps

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

minema posted:

Writing it out has made it blindingly obvious to me yeah, I'm on the phone to the pharmacy now getting them swapped. It's weird because the active ingredient is still exactly the same so you wouldn't think that would have any effect!

Turns out inactive ingredients affect how your body processes things. Generally not noticeably but I guess you got unlucky. Hope you get back to where you were before quickly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jiggerypokery posted:

Making your phone black and white helps

It's crazy how effective this is. I have my phone set to go black and white once I plug it in at night, and instantly I look at Twitter like "why do I give a poo poo about any of this" and put it away. It's so effective it raises questions about free will vs. operant conditioning