Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A huge, hostile waterfowl...?

:honk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol that Dandelion’s immediate reaction is to just apply lovely psychology to it instead of just assuming his friend was tripping dickballs and saw some weird poo poo. I kinda assumed he was the kinda dude to take a puff of not-weed from time to time with Triss but clearly not.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I played that whole game and don't even remember Ted Faro. I vaguely remember some holo people talking but I didn't much care about what they had to say at the time and was probably half drunk, so there's that.

AcidCat has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Jul 21, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AcidCat posted:

I played that whole game and don't even remember Ted Faro. I vaguely remember some holo people talking but I didn't much care about what they had to say at the time and was probably half drunk, so there's that.

ban this sick filth

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AcidCat posted:

You just ignored the whole plot of the game lol

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

AcidCat posted:

Horizon: Zero Recollection

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Velocity Raptor posted:

:golfclap:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Good thread title there

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

lol @ thread title. Yes I'm trash. Most games I barely pay attention or outright skip story bits so I can get back to being a murder hobo scouring the bushes for shiny bits.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Whoo! Picked up Dark Souls Remastered, and now I can do my Deprived Miracle build that will surely be OP and make even the mighty John "John Sekiro" Sekiro of Sekiro: Revenge of John Sekiro fame hesitate.

EDIT: I also bought Sekiro, although I wish I hadn't because it means I gave Activision money.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AcidCat posted:

lol @ thread title. Yes I'm trash. Most games I barely pay attention or outright skip story bits so I can get back to being a murder hobo scouring the bushes for shiny bits.

If you are interested in know what Ted Faro did, he created the murderbots (the military looking ones) for military purposes, and gave them all the ability to consume any biomass for fuel, self replicate, and be unhackable (even by his company). They of course glitched and went rogue, and devoured every living thing on the entire planet, down to bacteria. The last humans ran a program to set up AI to reseed the planet after the robots went dormant, including clones of humans, but Ted killed the program leaders and erased the databank of human knowledge that was going to be used to restart the world because he didn't want the new world to know the apocalypse was his fault.

gently caress Ted Faro lol

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

More pets for the pet gods

https://twitter.com/SuckerPunchProd/status/1417899233932308484?s=19

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AcidCat posted:

I still haven't mastered tone on the internet so I'm just gonna be upfront and say that this isn't meant to be snide or anything.

If you get the most enjoyment out of games by skipping the story and cutscenes and just enjoy playing them, then more power to you. You paid/pirated it, it's your decision how you wanna play them, as long as you're having fun it doesn't really matter.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well, not all games. It's just rare that I actually find a game story engaging, so I frequently end up just kind of tuning it out. I certainly pay attention when something like, The Last of Us 1&2, RedDead2, Ghost of Tsushima come along, but games of such quality are the exception. Much more often is something like AC Valhalla which is just vapid nonsense simply designed to make you go here, then there, then there etc.

AcidCat has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Jul 21, 2021

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm not big on videogame stories but the "figuring out what happened in the past" part of HZD's story was one of the few compelling ones to me. It's just unfortunate that the same game expects you to care who the Carja Sun King is and why people are unhappy with him, along with many other such boring NPC problems.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

AcidCat posted:

Well, not all games. It's just rare that I actually find a game story engaging, so I frequently end up just kind of tuning it out. I certainly pay attention when something like, The Last of Us 1&2, RedDead2, Ghost of Tsushima come along, but games of such quality are the exception. Much more often is something like AC Valhalla which is just vapid nonsense simply designed to make you go here, then there, then there etc.

I'm mostly the same way, but I do give every game a chance at the start. If it doesn't hook me a couple hours in but I enjoy the gameplay I'll start tuning it out too.

But man, HZD was one of those games that just intrigued me and goddamn it was a joy. I enjoyed finding a random bit of world building just as much as a good fight, and the storyline was superb. Maybe a large part of it was that I was in the perfect frame of mind at the time to enjoy it to the fullest.

Boy, did you pick the wrong game to tune out. That's just unlucky, especially because you did play through it and enjoyed it. HZD is definitely the same quality as the games you mentioned, and in my opinion best of them.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Velocity Raptor posted:

Ted Faro would be proud!

gently caress Ted.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If the knowledge they acquired brought them to this, of what use was the knowledge? Ted Faro did nothing wrong

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I always like the slightly more charitable reading of Ted where he wipes the project because he can't stand the idea that he, captain of industry and billionaire brain genius :musk:, screwed everything up and now all of the actual scientists are saving humanity without him.

So he spends the project sulking and musing on how all all human culture is to blame, and realises he can be the hero after all! Humanity does need him! He just needs to correct the work of all the assholes who blamed him for the apocalypse.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*cut to montage of Ted editing all the holotapes to remove his misdeeds and edit in "what a great guy!" every time someone mentions his name*

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

christmas boots posted:

If the knowledge they acquired brought them to this, of what use was the knowledge? Ted Faro did nothing wrong

No, Ted specifically brought them to it. And there were programs in place to educate and avoid past mistakes.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

No, Ted specifically brought them to it. And there were programs in place to educate and avoid past mistakes.

I think they mean to the point of apocalypse. Faro has an anprim-style ramble at one point about how knowledge is evil and brought about the end of the world and how the new generation will be better off without it. It still comes across as totally self-serving

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the Arkham series when stealth isn’t required Batman is just so angry when he takes the grates off and throws them aside

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So I just beat Ghost Of Tsushima a second time. I feel like there was a quest that ends in a cave behind a waterfall where you have to duel a guy and you get a special move. I remember the waterfall was behind a town or temple? The thing is I can't find it this time around. Does anyone else remember this? Did I just dream it?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

I think they mean to the point of apocalypse. Faro has an anprim-style ramble at one point about how knowledge is evil and brought about the end of the world and how the new generation will be better off without it. It still comes across as totally self-serving

Well yeah, because he speaks about "repeating our mistakes", when the only person who made mistakes was HIM. Not getting into the deeper philosophy of the state of the world before poo poo went down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

So I just beat Ghost Of Tsushima a second time. I feel like there was a quest that ends in a cave behind a waterfall where you have to duel a guy and you get a special move. I remember the waterfall was behind a town or temple? The thing is I can't find it this time around. Does anyone else remember this? Did I just dream it?

There is the Duel Under Falling Water, but that's just one of the regular Straw Hat duels in that questline.
It sorta sounds like a partially-remembered version of the end duel in that quest, where you find their leader in a cave temple that I believe is right *near* a waterfall but not actually behind it. You get a set of armor rather than a special move, but that's the closest thing that came to mind when reading that. I could be forgetting one myself though.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

There is the Duel Under Falling Water, but that's just one of the regular Straw Hat duels in that questline.
It sorta sounds like a partially-remembered version of the end duel in that quest, where you find their leader in a cave temple that I believe is right *near* a waterfall but not actually behind it. You get a set of armor rather than a special move, but that's the closest thing that came to mind when reading that. I could be forgetting one myself though.

That's what I was thinking of, thanks! Funny thing is I actually have that armor. I guess I completed the quest after a few too many beers because I don't remember doing that duel this time around.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hitman 3 was on sale this week so I picked it up and I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the most powerful weapon in an assassin's arsenal is the humble wrench.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's wieldy, innocuous, easily concealable, lethal even in an untrained hand, and you can tighten bolts with it. what's not to like

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Crowetron posted:

Hitman 3 was on sale this week so I picked it up and I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the most powerful weapon in an assassin's arsenal is the humble wrench.

Also In Bioshock

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

it's wieldy, innocuous, easily concealable, lethal even in an untrained hand, and you can tighten bolts with it. what's not to like

And they frequently come in red so it remains innocuous even after use.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm a third through the main quest line of Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and I've killed more people than I ever have in the entire Metro series combined lol

Cheeki breeki!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm enjoying Mario Galaxy as a tour through 'remember what Wii games were like?' while still being a very good game in its own right. The Wii was a very weird period.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shiroc posted:

I'm enjoying Mario Galaxy as a tour through 'remember what Wii games were like?' while still being a very good game in its own right. The Wii was a very weird period.

It's kind of a testament to how far gyro technology's come since the Wii days that it turns out the Switch can fudge Wii gyro AND pointing without external IR, so long as it has a reset button.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kit Walker posted:

Both can be kind of true at once, Faro might have invited in some primitivist whackos who blame the apocalypse on human technological advancement, and he might also want to suppress the knowledge that it wasn't his fault. Though I personally lean towards the former. He seriously thought he was doing the correct, selfless thing by destroying APOLLO. He had been completely humiliated and sidelined by Sobeck, all his wealth has been forcefully requisitioned from him by the US government, with only a pittance that he could use to furnish his personal bunker and fill it with pretty girls and charismatic preachers.

And if there was any motivation towards the latter, it wasn't well thought out, there is no lack of random datapads lying around outside mentioning the "Faro Plague".
Not that it was within his ability to alter the record, not without being turned into robot food.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

Both can be kind of true at once, Faro might have invited in some primitivist whackos who blame the apocalypse on human technological advancement, and he might also want to suppress the knowledge that it wasn't his fault. Though I personally lean towards the former. He seriously thought he was doing the correct, selfless thing by destroying APOLLO. He had been completely humiliated and sidelined by Sobeck, all his wealth has been forcefully requisitioned from him by the US government, with only a pittance that he could use to furnish his personal bunker and fill it with pretty girls and charismatic preachers.

And if there was any motivation towards the latter, it wasn't well thought out, there is no lack of random datapads lying around outside mentioning the "Faro Plague".
Not that it was within his ability to alter the record, not without being turned into robot food.

It's entirely the latter. All his handwringing is excusing himself to justify what he's doing. It's the right thing to do because he says it's the right thing to do, so therefore it's the right thing to do. And coincidentally nobody will know it's all his fault. The stray records were theoretically meant to be consumed and the only element of human culture passing on via APOLLO. With APOLLO wiped, nobody gets to learn of Ted Faro; Destroyer of Worlds.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's entirely the latter. All his handwringing is excusing himself to justify what he's doing. It's the right thing to do because he says it's the right thing to do, so therefore it's the right thing to do. And coincidentally nobody will know it's all his fault. The stray records were theoretically meant to be consumed and the only element of human culture passing on via APOLLO. With APOLLO wiped, nobody gets to learn of Ted Faro; Destroyer of Worlds.

Also without Apollo there wouldn't be a society technologically advanced enough to read those datapads.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

lol people ironically giving loving Ted Faro the benefit of doubt itt

gently caress Ted Faro.

To me one of the most memorable bad guys in the last decade+ because it's so loving mundane and human.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Still Ted Faro talk: I'd say it's just yet another example of his sheer egocentric megalomania. Faro couldn't accept that he, personally, was responsible for loving up this hard. After all, he believed himself to be among the foremost visionaries of humanity. So, he decides, if humanity's best, brightest superstar had caused the apocalypse, the real fault must lie with literally all of human civilization, rather than himself in particular.

It's really quite impressive how they managed to nail the self-absorbed techbro so well. If Faro had just been some generic cackling villain type, it wouldn't nearly have been as effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm just here to chime in: gently caress Ted Faro.