Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nenonen posted:

Do you have to spend it on equipment? Training might be more fruitful depending on how many workers have first aid training. Elimination of hazards would be even more fruitful.

Really this is probably the answer as long as your first aid cabinet is decently stocked and everyone has accesses to safety shoes, safety glasses, and gloves at a minimum for general work. Where else it could be best spent is very situationally dependent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/lrkauwa.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scholtz posted:

Extra money in the ppe/equipment budget, what's some useful stuff that gets overlooked/not thought of?

Aggressively deal with trip hazards around the facility.

Get a machine to grind that lifted concrete slab flush with its neighbor.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Scholtz posted:

Extra money in the ppe/equipment budget, what's some useful stuff that gets overlooked/not thought of?

Band-aids/small bandages.

No matter how many you have stocked in your first aid kits, you will be out in less than 30 days.

Also, buy a case of duct tape. You will wind up using all of it eventually. You can get a case of hazard yellow/red/orange if you want is specifically for safety related duct tapings.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/BNFKVJz.mp4

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fat Loser posted:

Band-aids/small bandages.

No matter how many you have stocked in your first aid kits, you will be out in less than 30 days.

Also, buy a case of duct tape. You will wind up using all of it eventually. You can get a case of hazard yellow/red/orange if you want is specifically for safety related duct tapings.

I prefer comedy related duct tapings. Preferably of supervisors or new guys. Or new supervisors.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MrYenko posted:

I prefer comedy related duct tapings. Preferably of supervisors or new guys. Or new supervisors.
Nothing says cyber safety like some over-the-glasses style safety glasses done up in yellow or red duct tape.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

I enjoy the very brown dead grass behind the electrical panel.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is possibly the most evil malicious compliance ever developed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

“To protect scalp and facial hair,” continues the voice, “place the metal helmet securely on the head. Make sure the helmet is firmly seated, and the visor lowered. Then, raise your arms and wait.”

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Would legit love to see the lightshow that would create while arcwelding.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Bite my shiny metal rear end!

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
Looks like you can sell a retroactive abortion device on amazon and get away with it. Props to the wiring thread guys/gals/preferred pronoun here for finding this thing. I found one of these in a highschool theater running 240v moving light and I carefully powered it down and removed it. The guy that made the high school version even labeled it like this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ND6CTGK

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

This week on "behind the music" we hear about the "Welding Guy" who was almost part of the village people until a tragic forklift accident...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nenonen posted:

Who ordered a rocky road?

Someone in Dublin, I guess

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/hUkKcUu.mp4

Time to check the water meter.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

"It says it's full"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drat. That’s a lot of current.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I only scrolled far enough to see the first picture and thought the joke was welding mask w/o visor plus sunglasses.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Harry_Potato posted:

Looks like you can sell a retroactive abortion device on amazon and get away with it. Props to the wiring thread guys/gals/preferred pronoun here for finding this thing. I found one of these in a highschool theater running 240v moving light and I carefully powered it down and removed it. The guy that made the high school version even labeled it like this.

This isn't actually that bad--it's about as dangerous as doing any simple electrical work at home (such as replacing an outlet), and if you follow the instructions and use the outlet tester it will either work fine or not work at all (depending on your car). It could potentially be dangerous if they bonded the two (unused) neutrals together within the device, but (a) i don't know why they'd do that and (b) it would only cause a problem if an outlet was reverse wired, which you are checking for at the very beginning.

I wouldn't sell it in home depot, but I would 100% use it myself if I needed something in a pinch and couldnt get a proper 240V outlet installed (such as if i were in a rental)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's dodgy because the circuits you're connecting to are probably still on individual breakers instead of being ganged together, so if one trips and the other is still live then your equipment is live at 120V even though it appears to be getting no power.

Using a 120V outlet for your 240V supply is a bad plan too.

Also the advice to use an extension cord for this purpose, without any other qualifications, is terribly dangerous given the state of extension cords in the US.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Harry_Potato posted:

That's an almost reasonable way to get 240v out of the standard 3 phase power. Instead of combining two phases in the electric panel, you're doing it with that cable.

The thing that bothers me is that the intended use is for charging a car. I wouldn't want to keep that as part of a permanent install in what is surely a place that is not climate controlled and sealed to the elements. I could maybe see it if you're travelling and want to lug your level 2 charger to the most remote AirBnB/cabin in the woods, but even that is a stretch.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

What if I plug it into two separate gas powered generators?

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

“To protect scalp and facial hair,” continues the voice, “place the metal helmet securely on the head. Make sure the helmet is firmly seated, and the visor lowered. Then, raise your arms and wait.”

This is appreciated.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

waffle iron posted:

That's an almost reasonable way to get 240v out of the standard 3 phase power. Instead of combining two phases in the electric panel, you're doing it with that cable.

The thing that bothers me is that the intended use is for charging a car. I wouldn't want to keep that as part of a permanent install in what is surely a place that is not climate controlled and sealed to the elements. I could maybe see it if you're travelling and want to lug your level 2 charger to the most remote AirBnB/cabin in the woods, but even that is a stretch.

It's possible to use this sort of thing and not hurt yourself. That's not the issue. Codes, like rules in general, are intended to keep the outliers from hurting themselves. The guy that does not know what this is or does, but plugs his toaster into it and burns down the house. Selling $15 worth of crap from home depot and $75 worth of dubious warning labels is exactly what people are talking about when they say Amazon has dangerous products. I would love to meet the guy that sold EV Doctor his liability insurance. I'm betting it's the "Action Park" guy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It's also worth noting: That won't work nearly anywhere. The two outlets have to be on separate circuits, you can't just double up on a single circuit.

The other problem is if the breakers need to trip, you want them both to trip at the same time or you can cause problems in your wiring/breaker panel.

Bonus is you unplug one of them and now have live, pointy ends. Which is bad.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 23, 2021

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
I understand wanting to get 240v. I don't understand wanting to feed that into a 120v socket.

CommieGIR posted:

I'd hope the car charger wouldn't keep the pins connected when one of them is floating, but I don't know what would happen in practice.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Platystemon posted:

It’s a false sense of security.

Management is encouraging bandage smuggling by not providing a safe alternative. I don’t mean that coworkers will exchange brown paper sacks in the breakroom, but they’re going to wear them into the facility and not get caught.

But there will be no latex contamination traceable to the facility, so that’s mission accomplished for the bean counters.

Saniderm is actually loving dope at being a band-aid and protected a 3/4” cut around the side of my thumb without issues, including getting it wet. I did not use a gauze layer, I just flushed with saline spray, wrapped in saniderm and changed it when it the edges got too curled -- every couple of days or so.

I went to a quick care out of an abundance of caution the next day, but the DO just smashed it with surgical soap dressed it with gauze and Curlex, which ended up hurting MORE that evening. The throbbing got so distracting I replaced the dressing with saniderm in desperation, after which the pain subsided mostly.

IDK if it was better in any medicinal way, but anecdotally, it was a deeper than usual cut and not worrying about it falling off every few hours was great, and it held in a finger bleed quite easily.

Saniderm: It's not just for your tattoos!

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 23, 2021

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Dylan16807 posted:

I understand wanting to get 240v. I don't understand wanting to feed that into a 120v socket.

I'd hope the car charger wouldn't keep the pins connected when one of them is floating, but I don't know what would happen in practice.

Because the car already comes with a NEMA 5-15 cord :sun:
I'd guess that the charging system in the car works like modern laptop chargers, where they'll work with either 120V or 240V, it just depends on the cord.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

CommieGIR posted:

It's also worth noting: That won't work nearly anywhere. The two outlets have to be on separate circuits, you can't just double up on a single circuit.

The other problem is if the breakers need to trip, you want them both to trip at the same time or you can cause problems in your wiring/breaker panel.

You shouldn't get live pointy ends (assuming you're powering an inverter circuit like you'd expect for an EV charger, if you're plugging in a regular resistive and/or inductive load. Yeah watch out for zappy zappy if you unplug in the wrong order), and seperate circuits isn't enough to guarantee you get 240 or 208.

Your standard NEMA 5-15 plug has Line Voltage on one prong, neutral on the other prong, and a ground. Your typical 120V panels in Canada and US are going to be 120/240V split phase (typical residential or light commercial) or 120/208V three phase (typical medium to large commercial and industrial)

In either case you need to plug in this device into receptacles fed from two different phases. In a
panel the bus still be setup so that the phases alternate as you go down the panel, i.e. A/B/A/B/A/B/etc or A/B/C/A/B/C/etc for circuits 1/2/3/4/5/6/etc.

So you have to make sure one end is plugged into the A phase, and the other end is plugged into B (or C if it's available), if you get unlucky and plug both into the same phase even on different circuits you get zero volts at the joined outlet between the L1 and L2 prongs but you'd see 120V from either prong to ground. If the adapter is made with any sensibility (yeah I know :lmao:) you only need one wire from one of the receptacles (just the Line Voltage prong) and you'd need two from the other (Line Voltage and the Ground prong)

E: Also as pointed out this ends with a Nema 5-15 receptacle, not a Nema 6-15, so you can easily use it to fry all your 120V equipment and you can't plug in any 240V equipment that came with a cord.

tldr: Not an immediate hazard if you're sensible, but definitely not a product I would trust in the general consumers hands.

E2: looking through the actual listing, at least they don't seem to claim UL / ETL / CE or any other certification body. Hopefully that's why it's unavailable now, because they got found out and shut down.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 23, 2021

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Because the car already comes with a NEMA 5-15 cord :sun:
I'd guess that the charging system in the car works like modern laptop chargers, where they'll work with either 120V or 240V, it just depends on the cord.

It just seems weird to cheap out on that if you're willing to pay $100 for a couple plugs taped together the wrong way.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

If you want to know how things worked out let me just say that these three guys were my bosses there.

quote:

Two Massachusetts pharmacists are charged with second-degree murder in connection with a fu....
fu indeed.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Dylan16807 posted:

It just seems weird to cheap out on that if you're willing to pay $100 for a couple plugs taped together the wrong way.
A wide swath of the US population will spend a great deal of money on egregiously-unsafe devices in order to feel like they’ve somehow “outsmarted” the “system” in some way.

“You wasted $40 on a NEMA 6-15 adapter for your car charger? Well, I bought this spool of cable for only $500 and stripped off all of the sheathing for some reason and wired it up myself. As long as you don’t touch the wires or this part of the drywall or any faucets in the house, it’s fine. Coulda saved yourself $40.” :smuggo:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Sonic Dude posted:

A wide swath of the US population will spend a great deal of money on egregiously-unsafe devices in order to feel like they’ve somehow “outsmarted” the “system” in some way.

“You wasted $40 on a NEMA 6-15 adapter for your car charger? Well, I bought this spool of cable for only $500 and stripped off all of the sheathing for some reason and wired it up myself. As long as you don’t touch the wires or this part of the drywall or any faucets in the house, it’s fine. Coulda saved yourself $40.” :smuggo:

that's just good hard workin' culture

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

I used to work with someone who made one of those! I've always just painted my helmets white, it keeps me a little cooler and makes people stop watching me work.

https://i.imgur.com/mXnN7m7.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

klezmer life yo posted:

I used to work with someone who made one of those! I've always just painted my helmets white, it keeps me a little cooler and makes people stop watching me work.

that is loving amazing

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

klezmer life yo posted:

If Disco Stu was a wielder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Harbor Freight sells a flux core welder that uses 110v and requires 20 amps to work but comes equipped with a NEMA 5-15 cord. The cord probably won't overheat since the duty cycle of the welder out of the box is pretty short, but it makes me laugh because you know 75% of the stuff HF sells is manufactured from random "excess" components Chinese factory owners are selling out the back door. They're not going to go through the trouble to source NEMA 5-20 plugs

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 23, 2021