Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Casimir Radon posted:

The emperor’s three eyed son. The one with the eye in the back of his head, not the one with it in his forehead. That guy’s a liar.

Disney design by committee decided to crib from Dark Empire, and which has cool art but that’s about it, and Jedi Prince, which is just insane.

Dark Empire, Dark Empire 2, and Emperor's End are things I've always wanted to read. My public library had the audio drama versions of them and I got the tapes and later CD set out so many times. My favorite character was the steam powered Jedi from the gas cloud.

I've started reading them but always end up never even getting through DE1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nooo not Crix Madine!

lmao was going to post this

I remember the Marvel comics also had the empire attempt to build THE EYE OF TARKIN which was similarly a Death Star but without the armor around it so it was just like the big laser perpendicular to a tower of Death Star surface stuff.

Those comics were pretty cool though and I liked that they were just ongoing stories in between the movies. That early point in between Empire and Jedi's stories playing out they also had a bunch of imperial officers attempt to have Vader assassinated because of how many folks he strangled/how off track they felt he was being so focused on finding Luke throughout Empire's events.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Cameo posted:

Darksaber. If I'm not mistaken the reason it blows up is because whoever they hired to construct it built the superlaser backwards. They run into a New Republic fleet, there's a little battle, and they aim the laser at a capital ship to create enough chaos so they can get away, and it's in the last seconds before it fires that someone realizes "uh, all this superlaser stuff is pointing in the wrong direction".

Maybe that's just how I remembered it, but I do remember being like "this is the funniest possible ending to anything Star Wars."

A lovely knockoff Death Star is hilarious because it's all too likely. Look at the IRL history of superweapons and things like the Ratte.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Len posted:

Dark Empire, Dark Empire 2, and Emperor's End are things I've always wanted to read. My public library had the audio drama versions of them and I got the tapes and later CD set out so many times. My favorite character was the steam powered Jedi from the gas cloud.

Dark Empire is pretty terrible aside from a couple of decent concepts, so you aren’t missing much.

The Dark Horse comics from that era are generally pretty bad when it comes to OT stuff (aside from Rogue Squadron), but the Tales of The Jedi series was excellent. Just really weird and vaguely medieval stuff with lots of Moebius-esque landscapes and designs.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lovely knockoff Death Star is hilarious because it's all too likely. Look at the IRL history of superweapons and things like the Ratte.

It's a shame the Marvel Ultimate Universe ended up going down the Darker and Edgier toilet (though it did give us Sam Jackson as Nick Fury and Miles Morales) because it was an utter stroke of genius to make every single Marvel super hero's origin story be the result of the entire world trying to create their own version of Cap's Super Soldier Serum (or at the very least some other way to create superhumans) since the 40s. That's totally what would happen IRL.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 22, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dark Empire is pretty terrible aside from a couple of decent concepts, so you aren’t missing much.

The Dark Horse comics from that era are generally pretty bad when it comes to OT stuff (aside from Rogue Squadron), but the Tales of The Jedi series was excellent. Just really weird and vaguely medieval stuff with lots of Moebius-esque landscapes and designs.

I've also heard those audio dramas a bunch they were also really rad. Crimson Empire got a full cast version too but that wasn't as good as the others imo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tars Tarkas posted:

Look at these scrubs who didn't have a Crix Madine toy as a kid, complete with white wand stick accessory that went well with Admiral Ackbar's black wand stick accessory.

*knockoff Lobot Cop action figure from taiwan

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The silly power creep is a tried and true staple of space operas. Star Wars originally drew heavily from The Lensman which started as 'peak genetic specimen destroys planet destroying superweapon' and ended with 'army of millenia long eugenics programs destroys army of galaxy destroying super weapons.'

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Star Wars is really just the one kind of story over and over again. Even Rogue One, which was supposed to initiate a series of movies doing different things in the setting, segues into the first Star Wars movie at the end.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Someone’s never played Dark Forces :smug:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Someone’s never played Dark Forces :smug:

Or Rogue Squadron for that part.

ROGUE SQUADRON, WHERE'S MY COVER?!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1417979389015302144?s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Naked boomers: *sigh* "I just can't get work anymore"

Naked boomers: *ears prick up*

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I’m losing my mind, I didn’t know Ari Aster announced a new movie and that it stars Joaquin Phoenix. Hell yeah.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve only heard of like two of those people

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Len posted:

The guy who wrote Dark Empire is writing a book about the making of DE and its legacy, though I know he delayed it after Rise of Skywalker came out so he could work in the obvious influences there, and I assume covid might also have delayed it further.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

The guy who wrote Dark Empire is writing a book about the making of DE and its legacy, though I know he delayed it after Rise of Skywalker came out so he could work in the obvious influences there, and I assume covid might also have delayed it further.
Now that sounds interesting. I’m conflicted about Dark Empire. It’s got cool art and it’s a cool sort of weird, but it also has a lot of baggage they didn’t really consider before publishing it. Reborn emperor, more dumb super weapons, steam powered Jedi, lightning gun….

The old SW audio dramas were really cool when I was a kid. I got my mom to copy the library tapes of the Dark Forces ones. They’ve made a couple new audio dramas recently. One about Dooku, and another about Dr. Aphra. I bought them but haven’t had a chance to listen to them yet.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Weekly World News is back...in movie form!

quote:

Weekly World News—the supermarket tabloid behind such wacky characters as Bat Boy, Manigator, P’lod the Alien, Ph.D. Ape and SpyCat—is launching an entertainment division.

Weekly World News Studios will focus on developing film, TV and podcast projects, based on the company’s library of over 110,000 articles and 300+ original characters.

WWN’s Editor-in-Chief Greg D’Alessandro will oversee the entertainment division as CEO; veteran theater producer Joe Corcoran will serve as its Director of Development.

The first film to emerge from Weekly World News Studios will be an adaptation of The Zombie Wedding, the interactive play penned by D’Alessandro and produced by Corcoran. The project is billed as a horror-comedy with music, falling somewhere between The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Shaun of the Dead.

In it, a young South Carolina couple decides to go through with their long-awaited wedding – during the Zombie Apocalypse. Unfortunately, he’s a zombie and she’s not. Their families are nervous, but the humans prove to be overly judgmental. When the Zombies begin feeling brain deprived, the ceremony takes a turn for the weird. WWN reporters are there to cover this wild wedding, while trying to get out alive.

Tony-award winning actress, writer, and producer Tonya Pinkins (Jelly’s Last Jam, Red Pill) is attached to direct the project, which D’Alessandro and Corcoran will produce. Acclaimed jazz fusion/funk guitarist Jean-Paul Bourelly is also on board, to craft its score.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/bat-boy-tabloid-weekly-world-news-launches-entertainment-division-1234796950/

I've seen the Batboy musical so it's interesting they are doing a different musical as the first movie (also not 100% certain if WWN owns the rights to the Batboy musical)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s Rick Scott’s time to shine!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
there's probably a good movie to be made about the WWN itself. You could make it all magic realist and have Batboy and poo poo be real as well

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hope no UK goons were hoping to see The Green Knight as it has been pulled from theaters due to covid concerns.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

muscles like this! posted:

Hope no UK goons were hoping to see The Green Knight as it has been pulled from theaters due to covid concerns.

Unlucky for The Green Knight to be beheaded and also contract COVID

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's also a rumor they got an offer from a streaming service.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

isnt WWN owned by the national enquirer chud

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

A solid decision. We're going to be back in hard lockdown in a few weeks. Or we won't, because our government is insane. Either way no one will be going to the cinema because things are going to be very grim again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What’s funny is I was wondering what ever happened to Dev Patel, and then the first trailer came out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

What’s funny is I was wondering what ever happened to Dev Patel, and then the first trailer came out.

breaking indian girl's hearts
https://twitter.com/teaforpterosaur/status/1292445765541953538?s=20

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The rare female incel. Is there lore for an asian version of the chad?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i think it's the stacey? vs the gothy looking wojack girl

why do i know these things

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She does look like the girl wojak. It’s uncanny.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Because all of us on these here dead forums are very internet poisoned

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I did not need these tweets in my life

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm a brown Asian guy. Why no one told me I'm supposed to date an average white girl?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
For real though, I took a casual look through her recent tweets and this chick just seems like a straight up islamic supremacist

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If it’s who I think it is, she writes pro-Myanmar (that is, pro-Myanmar military dictatorship) articles for the Post Millennial, an openly nazi publication.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Very cool and normal thing to do

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Casimir Radon posted:

He was David Copperfield just last year!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Julius CSAR posted:

For real though, I took a casual look through her recent tweets and this chick just seems like a straight up islamic supremacist

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If it’s who I think it is, she writes pro-Myanmar (that is, pro-Myanmar military dictatorship) articles for the Post Millennial, an openly nazi publication.

The Muslim conservative equivalent of being an anti-Semite who supports people who give blank checks to Israel.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's not inaccurate that some POC -- male and female alike -- look to date white people exclusively. Whether that's internalized racism or societal indoctrination or pure happenstance, who the gently caress knows. But society does place a premium on white appearances and that certain POC are hugely disfavored as dating partners. It's a touchy subject and I'd rather it get discussed meaningfully than dismissed outright because of some bad tweeter.

But yes, that person's tweets are awful and sassing someone's girlfriend is for sure not the way to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Vegetable posted:

It's not inaccurate that some POC -- male and female alike -- look to date white people exclusively. Whether that's internalized racism or societal indoctrination or pure happenstance, who the gently caress knows. But society does place a premium on white appearances and that certain POC are hugely disfavored as dating partners. It's a touchy subject and I'd rather it get discussed meaningfully than dismissed outright because of some bad tweeter.

But yes, that person's tweets are awful and sassing someone's girlfriend is for sure not the way to do this.

It could just be a fetish. There are plenty of white people who are really into dating Asian people, why not the opposite?