Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Senor Tron posted:

And now NSW is trying to persuade the other states we should give up some of our vaccines to NSW.

A great plan if it had come a few weeks ago accompanied by an early lockdown to ensure the outbreak didn't spread, but there's no loving chance any premier is going to get their states to be on board with the idea when they are now facing down the barrel as well.

So, you're saying it's ScoMo's time to shine?

I don't hold up vaccine delivery to others states, mate. Oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It’s very dumb that we have a delta outbreak, a mountain of AZ nobody wants but apparently we can’t use that and instead need to talk about redirecting Pfizer. Based on the current numbers if you vaccinated all of SW and W sydney like 3 people might get blood clots? Just start a campaign encouraging everyone in the area to get an AZ shot, and Pfizer can remain the preferred option for young people in other states.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Centusin posted:

It’s very dumb that we have a delta outbreak, a mountain of AZ nobody wants but apparently we can’t use that and instead need to talk about redirecting Pfizer. Based on the current numbers if you vaccinated all of SW and W sydney like 3 people might get blood clots? Just start a campaign encouraging everyone in the area to get an AZ shot, and Pfizer can remain the preferred option for young people in other states.

Apparently 1 dose of AZ does bugger all against delta and the gap between AZ doses is pretty long.
Seems like it won't be a solution to this current outbreak

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

EoinCannon posted:

Apparently 1 dose of AZ does bugger all against delta and the gap between AZ doses is pretty long.

At a couple of the press conferences they've said people should accelerate AZ second doses from 12 weeks to 4-6 and accept the compromised long term effectiveness since they can kick that can down the road and deal with it via a third shot or booster at some later time

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Centusin posted:

Can't have Sydney lock down, need to steal the vaccines from other states instead.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i'm glad that i can get pfizer next month instead of dealing with all of this horseshit regarding a less effective vaccine that takes longer and is more dangerous that happens to be marketed by scotty from marketing's old coworker or whatever

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Seemlar posted:

At a couple of the press conferences they've said people should accelerate AZ second doses from 12 weeks to 4-6 and accept the compromised long term effectiveness since they can kick that can down the road and deal with it via a third shot or booster at some later time

its transparently about juicing the fully vaccinated number asap regardless of how much protection it actually provides. the same rules lawyering way theyve approached the entire pandemic

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Centusin posted:

Just start a campaign encouraging everyone in the area to get an AZ shot, and Pfizer can remain the preferred option for young people in other states.

What reality do you live in

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Centusin posted:

Just start a campaign encouraging everyone in the area to get an AZ shot, and Pfizer can remain the preferred option for young people in other states.

They did this already lol

Its actually cool and good that the public are now actively not taking AZ shots on principle. gently caress the government, gently caress them very hard.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

its transparently about juicing the fully vaccinated number asap regardless of how much protection it actually provides. the same rules lawyering way theyve approached the entire pandemic

It's actually completely in line with the latest ATAGI advice https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-statement-on-use-of-covid-19-vaccines-in-an-outbreak-setting

quote:

In the context of a COVID-19 outbreak where the supply of Comirnaty (Pfizer) is constrained, adults younger than 60 years old who do not have immediate access to Comirnaty (Pfizer) should re-assess the benefits to them and their contacts from being vaccinated with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, versus the rare risk of a serious side effect.
While the recommended interval between the first and second doses of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca is between 4 and 12 weeks, in outbreak situations an interval of between 4 and 8 weeks is preferred. Therefore, people in an outbreak situation who received their first dose of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca more than 4 weeks ago should contact their vaccine provider to arrange their second dose as soon as possible. In non-outbreak settings, the preferred interval between doses of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca remains at 12 weeks.

Anyway the AMA are saying basically what I said

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...obox=1627018277

quote:

The president of the Australian Medical Association, Dr Omar Khorshid, says it is unlikely lockdown measures can contain the Delta outbreak in New South Wales and has urged the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (Atagi) to recommend the AstraZeneca vaccine for more age groups.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Lockdown measures seem to be working in Vic so maybe NSW should stop half arsing it like the pack of spineless neo-liberal fuckwits that they are.

Edit: gently caress Gladys.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A thought:

Gladys taking all the anger/resentment of all the non NSW states might possibly be good for ScoMo.

Coz none of this anger/resentment can translate into actual votes. As most of us who blame her for our lockdowns, live in different states. And whilst we are blaming her, we aren't blaming the Federal Libs.

Morrisson can do what he does, which is hide until it blows over. Which might be a while, but there is the Olympics as a distraction for the next month, which if we are lucky will get us out of the harshest lockdowns and people can start spinning any slight relaxation as good positive news.

Which means come polling day, ScoMo won't have lost that many votes. And Gladys herself doesn't lose that many, as most of the people who hate her live out of state.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Run attack ads featuring a clip of him congratulating her on not locking down.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

GoldStandardConure posted:

there is a tweet haunting australia

is it one of mine? :ohdear:

poland really is the australia of europe

no, australia is the australia of europe

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 23, 2021

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Periphery posted:

Lockdown measures seem to be working in Vic so maybe NSW should stop half arsing it like the pack of spineless neo-liberal fuckwits that they are.

Edit: gently caress Gladys.

People in the LGA areas with the most new cases are currently unable to travel outside of their area other than for essential work, there is also an increased police presence in those areas, not sure they be locked down any harder. These are also diverse areas with lots of people in either essential or insecure work. Compliance isn't the issue, the majority of transmission is occuring in workplaces, households, supermarkets and pharmacies. Like, they hosed it up at first and I'm happy to admit I was wrong defending it back then, but there aren't any more restrictions to add that would help based on the data that's been released.

The high case numbers in disadvantaged areas thing happened in Vic too, and the solution here is likely similar to there, pay people to isolate after a test if they will lose income, bi-cultural communicators on the ground, and working with essential employers to ensure that workplaces are as covid safe as possible. But there's no guarantee it will work at this point because of the more infectious variant. We hosed it up by letting it get this bad before locking down and it may be 100% correct that vaccines are the only way out at this point.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/a-city-divided-covid-19-finds-a-weakness-in-melbourne-s-social-fault-lines-20200807-p55ji2.html

quote:

Melbourne is a city divided. Of its five most disadvantaged municipalities, four of them have the most active COVID-19 cases. The fifth disadvantaged area is Dandenong, where the Spotless laundry is. In Brimbank, in Melbourne's west the number of active cases is in excess of 800 - that's more than 10 times the level of Boroondara in the leafy inner east.

These five areas are also where the most insecure work is. It is minimum wage workers, often migrants, and often in contingent or casual jobs who are suffering unduly from the disease.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

poland really is the australia of europe

https://i.imgur.com/i6Qqjw6.mp4

This man will win the 2021 Federal Election

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
SA just set a per-capita covid testing record in the last day with only 1 positive community case to show from 23,572 tests.

Liberal state govermnent... good? :psyduck:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

State parochialism trumps political tribalism every time. The smaller/remoter states know how good they've had it keeping COVID out and their governments aren't gonna gently caress around and find out.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I am a big fan of Dan Andrews proposal to build a ring of steel around Sydney to prevent the outbreak spreading further. I'm assuming he means a literal ring of steel, or perhaps a ring of tanks.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
For those of us who are out of the loop has NSW actually defined essential workers?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

hooman posted:

For those of us who are out of the loop has NSW actually defined essential workers?

i give boxes to people to drive all over sydney to people's houses, and both those drivers and i are essential :) :) :)

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

EoinCannon posted:

One dose of Pfizer aint great either against Delta. And the best regime for Pfizer is 8 - 10 weeks between shots.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...nXWTwBx0T0EVrn0

Laserface posted:

Its actually cool and good that the public are now actively not taking AZ shots on principle.

No, it's actually dumb as gently caress and a bunch of people from journalists, politicans to ATAGI are to blame for some truly epically bad messaging over what is in reality a very good and safe vaccine. Antivaxxers havent even come close to creating this much vaccine confidence damage. 1400 cases of Delta and that has equaled the deaths from over 4.2 million shots of AZ already (there will be more) and there's more people in hospital being ventilated right now than reported blood clots in total.

Pfizer has heart inflammation risks (12.6 per million doses, compared to between 16 to 20 blood clots per million for AZ) but I don't see that being made a fuss out of or much hysteria being drummed up. Of course It shouldnt be and nor should the hysteria about AZ exist.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Noted anti-vaxxers the

*checks notes*

Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

hooman posted:

Yes https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/rules/authorised-workers

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

dsriggs posted:

SA just set a per-capita covid testing record in the last day with only 1 positive community case to show from 23,572 tests.

Liberal state govermnent... good? :psyduck:

Unlike the rest of Australia where Labor is just liberal lite, SA libs are Labor lite. They know it as well, so :shrug:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Konomex posted:

I am a big fan of Dan Andrews proposal to build a ring of steel around Sydney to prevent the outbreak spreading further. I'm assuming he means a literal ring of steel, or perhaps a ring of tanks.

He's a Trot remember. And he's big on rail.

Armoured Trains patrolling the Sydney border.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Sydney light rail brigade is at it again. :rolleye:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Watching the Tokyo Olympics opening, and hoping Australia has some good things in the next decade to show off.

Opening ceremonies usually celebrate a host country, and when they have previously hosted look at how they have grown since the last time.

We're 2/3 of the way from Sydney 2000 to Brisbane 2032, and I can't think up to now of anything you'd point to since then.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Watching the Tokyo Olympics opening, and hoping Australia has some good things in the next decade to show off.

Opening ceremonies usually celebrate a host country, and when they have previously hosted look at how they have grown since the last time.

We're 2/3 of the way from Sydney 2000 to Brisbane 2032, and I can't think up to now of anything you'd point to since then.

Don't be a loving cynic.

Domestic violence deaths, reef bleaching, bushfires, flooding and droughts, indigenous deaths in custody, rampant corruption, constitutional restrictions on personal freedoms, hate crimes, conspiracy theories, defence spending, fringe reactionary parties, illegal international wars and political interventions, human rights violations, arms sales and state sponsored ethic cleansing campaigns have all been growing strong.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'd probably focus on positive things tbh

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We got gay marriage.
Have the 2032 opening ceremony be a mardi gras

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

I'd probably focus on positive things tbh

Might have to use 1956 as a benchmark so we can include the bits of Whitlam’s platform we haven’t destroyed yet.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

2028 is Los Angeles in summer, so Brisbane 2032 will be an interesting follow-up in an increasingly climate change ravaged world

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Looking forward to how the giant drone installation will form a XXXX logo over the stadium

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If it's in Brisbane, just have it during schoolies week for the loving hilarity.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

a salute to australias biggest national industry, harvesting dust and ash, led by the 2032 brisbane olympics mascot: canny, a nod to australias world famous cuisine of expired cans of dog food from the before times.

bell jar posted:

This man will win the 2021 Federal Election

he's laying it on real thick lately i honestly think hes in danger of going full dag

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Fatso returns.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/SebStarcevic/status/1418784718598774785?s=20

GREAT THERES loving LOCKDOWN PROTESTS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY

INCLUDING MELBOURNE AND SYDNEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002
It's been a while since I've played the Dead Rising series. Looks good