Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I spent all of 2020 gaming on a B-Stock 1660 Ti I got for $150 shipped before the GPU apocalypse happened, and it has served me well. Can vouch for it; if you can find a 1660 Ti at a reasonable price, it's a stellar 1080p card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021
Coming back with sort of a long-winded update to a post I made in the previous thread a couple of months back. Long story short is that back in May my friend convinced me to buy parts for a PC that I really was unsure of to begin with (Mostly because basically all of the parts were bought used and from at least three or more years ago – I got a Ryzen 2600 despite the fact that it's not 2018 anymore) despite them telling me that it was a great deal. Well, that "great deal" ended up falling through so I yet again have plans to upgrade this six-year old Dell with hardware manufactured seven years ago – none of it was considered high end even back then

Though I've been kinda giving a lot of thought recently and I'm honestly wondering if it's even worth building a PC given my use cases. For reference: I own a really lame 1440x900 monitor and I honestly don't have any plans of replacing it anytime soon. I want to run pretty much whatever current games I can think of, but I'm totally okay with running them at 40-ish FPS, not even 60+. Aside from that, if I got a new PC I'd pretty much use it almost exclusively as a YouTube box (Web-surfing and sub-HD Discord streaming without the app crashing) but sometimes for light emulation (Mostly N64 for ROM hacks and Dolphin for online multiplayer). Ideally I wouldn't be looking to spend much more than $670 to $700

Not sure if I'm a dumbass for asking for help on making a "PC or console" decision in the PC building megathread, but what do ya think? Would it be more worth it to get a used PS4 and/or PS5 while biting the bullet and getting a laptop or a used prebuilt with a slightly more recent gen CPU/MOBO (Currently I'm running a Haswell Refresh i3) on the side for the few PC exclusives that I'm interested in, or can I actually get away with a "budget build" for pretty much any game? I'm leaning towards gambling with the latter, honestly. Paying full price for pretty much every game and being basically forced to use a Sony/Microsoft controller seem like huge turn-offs. But lemme know what you all think would make more sense

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if you are shopping on a performance/dollar ratio buy one of the cheap new Xboxes, although no idea if that will work with a 1440x900 monitor. you can put together a pretty compelling machine hell, probably using an IGPU with those targets. and a 2600 isn't top of the line but it's absolutely fine for your targets.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you will never beat the consoles at or near launch on a price/performance ratio, they went shopping for more or less the same components you did and they're typically sold at a loss, outside of Nintendo. they make it back through game licencing, ongoing subscription fees and accessories.

this might change in a few years as technology marches on, it usually do es, but that's absolutely true right now.

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021

CoolCab posted:

if you are shopping on a performance/dollar ratio buy one of the cheap new Xboxes, although no idea if that will work with a 1440x900 monitor. you can put together a pretty compelling machine hell, probably using an IGPU with those targets. and a 2600 isn't top of the line but it's absolutely fine for your targets.

saw GN Steve's videos detailing the 5600G and the 5700G recently. I was interested at first but it seemed like the Vega graphics on those didn't fare much better to something like a 1030 – maybe even the 750 I'm running now. Though I'm curious if I can still get away with those as a stop-gap until the GPU market isn't so :psyduck: (Seems like it might be getting better what with China banning mining, which means maybe cards will get unloaded to North America?)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I would say it's trending in a positive direction, but I wouldn't call it "normal" or "good", just "better". I legit don't know how stable the improvement is either although I am cautiously optimistic.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Boba Pearl posted:

My friend hit me up and wants to go from no rig or parts to a gaming rig. I know they won't be playing anything too intense or above 1080p but I don't know how you even get a decent GPU for under 900 after taxes and shipping would it be better to get a gaming laptop with a gtx 2060 mobile or something? What do you recommend?

What country are you in? US

What are you using the system for? Gaming

What's your budget? 900 after shipping and taxes

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p on a tv
A prebuilt. $800 gets you an i5-11400, GTX 1650 Super, 2x4gb DDR4-2933, and a 256gb SSD. For +$40 you can upgrade to a 512gb SSD, +$15 to upgrade the lovely wifi, +$20 to upgrade to a wireless mouse/keyboard combo, and your friend's ready for PC couch gaming for just under $900. Replacing the ram with 2x8gb sticks would be a priority but also another $100. You can build the same to slightly better system on newegg if you can find a 1650 Super for $280 or less (btw it was released november 22nd 2019 for $160), keeping in mind that a used card was very likely redlined 24/7 for months to mine cryptocurrency.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hiraeth posted:

Coming back with sort of a long-winded update to a post I made in the previous thread a couple of months back. Long story short is that back in May my friend convinced me to buy parts for a PC that I really was unsure of to begin with (Mostly because basically all of the parts were bought used and from at least three or more years ago – I got a Ryzen 2600 despite the fact that it's not 2018 anymore) despite them telling me that it was a great deal. Well, that "great deal" ended up falling through so I yet again have plans to upgrade this six-year old Dell with hardware manufactured seven years ago – none of it was considered high end even back then

Though I've been kinda giving a lot of thought recently and I'm honestly wondering if it's even worth building a PC given my use cases. For reference: I own a really lame 1440x900 monitor and I honestly don't have any plans of replacing it anytime soon. I want to run pretty much whatever current games I can think of, but I'm totally okay with running them at 40-ish FPS, not even 60+. Aside from that, if I got a new PC I'd pretty much use it almost exclusively as a YouTube box (Web-surfing and sub-HD Discord streaming without the app crashing) but sometimes for light emulation (Mostly N64 for ROM hacks and Dolphin for online multiplayer). Ideally I wouldn't be looking to spend much more than $670 to $700

Not sure if I'm a dumbass for asking for help on making a "PC or console" decision in the PC building megathread, but what do ya think? Would it be more worth it to get a used PS4 and/or PS5 while biting the bullet and getting a laptop or a used prebuilt with a slightly more recent gen CPU/MOBO (Currently I'm running a Haswell Refresh i3) on the side for the few PC exclusives that I'm interested in, or can I actually get away with a "budget build" for pretty much any game? I'm leaning towards gambling with the latter, honestly. Paying full price for pretty much every game and being basically forced to use a Sony/Microsoft controller seem like huge turn-offs. But lemme know what you all think would make more sense

Unironically suggesting you try real hard to get a Steam Deck when they become available.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Some of y'all have some outdated notions of what a 1070 can do. There's no way that thing is running modern AAA games at 1080p60 without lowering the options quite a bit. My considerably better 5700 XT feels barely adequate a lot of the time.

Hiraeth posted:

Voting for the "buy an xbox series s with a cheapo 1080p monitor" option. It will get you a much better experience within your budget than anything to do with PCs will.

If these were normal market conditions you could maybe get away with a $700 budget system, but this is a terrible time to try to do a budget build. People have pointed out some half-decent options, but with the cost of even 4-years-old budget cards being what they are, you're going to end up with something far below the capabilities of what you'll be able to get six months from now. You're better off looking at options outside the PC space for the time being.

Gobbeldygook posted:

A prebuilt. $800 gets you an i5-11400, GTX 1650 Super, 2x4gb DDR4-2933, and a 256gb SSD. For +$40 you can upgrade to a 512gb SSD, +$15 to upgrade the lovely wifi, +$20 to upgrade to a wireless mouse/keyboard combo, and your friend's ready for PC couch gaming for just under $900. Replacing the ram with 2x8gb sticks would be a priority but also another $100. You can build the same to slightly better system on newegg if you can find a 1650 Super for $280 or less (btw it was released november 22nd 2019 for $160), keeping in mind that a used card was very likely redlined 24/7 for months to mine cryptocurrency.

I'm sorry, but that prebuilt you linked looks like the kind of thing I'd never recommend to anyone for any reason ever. Please do not buy the HP Pavilion Shitbox. My recommendation is still that you should not buy or build a PC right now if you are on a tight budget, but if the op's friend insists on having something right now, I'd sooner recommend the diy route you mentioned with the used card. He's probably going to want to replace the card in a year anyway. edit: You can get the 1060 6gb for quite a bit cheaper than the 1650 super on ebay, and it's about equivalent in performance.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 22, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I had a 1650 Super before my 3070 and it could handle pretty much everything just fine at 1080p? And the 1070 is significantly better than that. Here's a benchmarking vid with newer games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA_DCIEMaqI

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
None of those games are under 3 years old.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Boba Pearl posted:

Is this a joke, I actually can't tell

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Boba Pearl posted:

Ah, someone else for whom the pandemic has warped time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

change my name posted:

I had a 1650 Super before my 3070 and it could handle pretty much everything just fine at 1080p? And the 1070 is significantly better than that. Here's a benchmarking vid with newer games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA_DCIEMaqI

I'd really like to see what settings he's using for each of those games because it looks like he's lowering them quite a bit and is still struggling to hit 60fps in a lot of them, which only supports my point.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Some of y'all have some outdated notions of what a 1070 can do. There's no way that thing is running modern AAA games at 1080p60 without lowering the options quite a bit. My considerably better 5700 XT feels barely adequate a lot of the time.

What? A 1070 with a 3600 will absolutely run modern games just fine at 1080p.

Hell, this setup can run Warzone at 1440p60.

I'm actually curious as to what processor you are using that your 5700XT is barely adequate at 1080p60 a lot of the time.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 22, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'd really like to see what settings he's using for each of those games because it looks like he's lowering them quite a bit and is still struggling to hit 60fps in a lot of them, which only supports my point.

He shows the settings at the start of each section, it looks like he's running them all at 1080p with everything set to high or ultra

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

change my name posted:

Is this a joke, I actually can't tell

No, it's this:

lordofthefishes posted:

Ah, someone else for whom the pandemic has warped time.

I looked at the dates and I realized that some of them came out much sooner then I had thought.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

i upgraded from my 1070/6700k a few months ago and the old machine played pretty much anything at 1080p60 at generally high settings

the idea that a gpu 50% more powerful than a ps4 pro cannot play modern video games is uhhh... lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What? A 1070 with a 3600 will absolutely run modern games just fine at 1080p.

Hell, this setup can run Warzone at 1440p60.

I'm actually curious as to what processor you are using that your 5700XT is barely adequate at 1080p60 a lot of the time.

There's a wide gulf between Warzone and envelope-pushing AAA games. I'm talking about the latter, stuff like Cyberpunk 2077, Watch Dogs 3, AC: Valhalla, and upcoming games like Forza Horizon 5 and Battlefield 2042. If the goal is to play games like that, then some compromises will have to be made to get them to run well on a 1070 is my point. It's not a card that can just do 1080p60 on everything without a sweat like some people are suggesting. It's been showing its age lately, and it will continue to do so for the upcoming slate of AAA stuff.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

With a 1660Ti in Control I had to turn a few settings off Ultra to hold a stable 60, but Ultra settings are very often indistinguishable from high at a significant performance hit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

1070 benchmarks in 1440p (they didn't bother testing 1080p because it's too obviously fine for 1080p):

Source

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

stuff like Cyberpunk 2077... AC: Valhalla

You mentioned zero games and then the first one you pop off is the modern day Crysis which struggles to run 60fps on $2000 PC's and another one you mentioned is a series which has terrible optimization issues due to it being ported. And two other games you mentioned aren't even out yet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, the 1660 Ti (1070) is absolutely a capable 1080p60 card, lmao.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

1070 benchmarks in 1440p (they didn't bother testing 1080p because it's too obviously fine for 1080p):

Source

None of those are modern games...

Look, I know that the 1070 was a good card when it came out and it can still be a decent midrange card now with some tweaking. I just think calling it a 1080p60 king or something is overselling its performance with respect to modern AAA games. (released in the last year and coming soon)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

1660 TI/1070 should be fine medium settings at 1080p.

Do you have to sacrifice some of the pretty settings? Sure. But it’ll loving working. Let’s not be all pedantic about it.

Dude that had the lovely build and is asking about consoles,

100% buy one of the mid range steam decks and a monitor + the dock.

Maybe the cheap Xbox too. All that is in your budget and *should* do what you’re looking for.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Boba Pearl posted:

No, it's this:

I looked at the dates and I realized that some of them came out much sooner then I had thought.

Quite impressively wrong too, two thirds of the games mentioned were under three years old

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

teagone posted:

Yeah, the 1660 Ti (1070) is absolutely a capable 1080p60 card, lmao.

Even my 970/i5 runs WoW and Skyrim at 1080p/60 on high and I can play The Witcher on high (just bought all three on Steam and got WII/WIII on my 3070/i9 rig), and dl’ing all three Shadowrun games to my 970, too (all 3 free from a not-Steam game company, just can’t remember which one). Last but not least I got Neverwinter and DDO on both computers, and Black Desert Online on the 3070 simply to try later on. Lastly, SW Squadrons is the bee’s knees with an 8 y/o joystick!

I got mine as a pre-built from IBuyPower through NewEgg back in April. It is considerably faster than my old system, and as the second time in a decade I’ve bought from them it’s been quality pieces and everything was tested and optimized great, and I don’t worry about oc’ing for graphics for a long while.

I’m not a shill/paid to brag, but my 2011 computer still works and I can’t tell about CS because I’ve never had any trouble out of either one!

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Hi thread, I'm looking to buy a prebuilt for both work and gaming. My current system is mainly bottlenecked by the CPU (i5-6600k), especially for work stuff, and I don't see a viable upgrade path that doesn't require a new mobo. I'd like to keep overall cost at $2500 USD max, including software (win10 pro upgrade, MS office, RAM upgrades, etc). I'm looking at this system right now:
Skytech Chronos Gaming PC Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.60GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB, 16GB DDR4 3000, 1TB NVMe Gen 4, 750W Gold PSU, 240MM AIO, 11AC WiFi, Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Couple questions before I pull the trigger:
1. Reinstalling the OS to clear all the bloatware sounds like a good plan. But it's been about a decade since I had to do a clean install, and that was with an installation disc. But I doubt you get any install media when buying a system like this nowadays. So how is a clean reinstall supposed to work?
2. I've got no experience with liquid cooling, but reviews for similar builds without an AIO seem to frequently mention cooling being a problem. I'm hoping that it being a prebuilt means it will be assembled correctly, but are there specific steps for verifying the AIO integrity before poo poo hits the fan?
3. I'm guessing 16gb of RAM is still the sweet spot for gaming? Even so, I might need more for work-related stuff. Is it even worth trying to find an additional 16gb which is compatible with whatever comes with the system, or should I just buy a 32gb set?
4. When I added the system to my cart, it advertised a $200 protection plan. Any reason to bother with it? I'm guessing it would be voided by any manual upgrades I did anyways.

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021

ANIME AKBAR posted:

1. Reinstalling the OS to clear all the bloatware sounds like a good plan. But it's been about a decade since I had to do a clean install, and that was with an installation disc. But I doubt you get any install media when buying a system like this nowadays. So how is a clean reinstall supposed to work?

would also like an answer here. I tried doing this a few months into having my current PC using a pirated version of Windows 8.1/generic key and tried extracting the actual product key from my BIOS, but I realized I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing (Lots of driver issues even after downloading what I could) so a Dell technician deadass came over to replace the OEM motherboard. Then a few months later I ended up getting a reinstall disc from Dell itself so I didn't have to go through that hassle again when I installed my SSD, and this was in 2015 when optical reinstallation media went way the hell by the wayside

Now I have this weird issue where if I ever need to reinstall Windows, it simply won't reactivate the product key automatically anymore, which should be the norm for a prebuilt. I can still type it in the product key, and to this day I'm convinced that I royally screwed something up. Thankfully I don't plan to keep this PC for that much longer, but Jesus

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Hi thread, I'm looking to buy a prebuilt for both work and gaming. My current system is mainly bottlenecked by the CPU (i5-6600k), especially for work stuff, and I don't see a viable upgrade path that doesn't require a new mobo. I'd like to keep overall cost at $2500 USD max, including software (win10 pro upgrade, MS office, RAM upgrades, etc). I'm looking at this system right now:
Skytech Chronos Gaming PC Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.60GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB, 16GB DDR4 3000, 1TB NVMe Gen 4, 750W Gold PSU, 240MM AIO, 11AC WiFi, Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Couple questions before I pull the trigger:

You download the Windows 10 installation media tool from the Microsoft website, then use that to create a bootable USB drive. It's actually very simple, just remember to disconnect any drives that aren't the installation drive or you'll end up having headaches later on if you need to change out a drive. All the license stuff is handled through your Microsoft account, so once you log into that during installation it should automatically figure out if you have a license and all it'll do if you don't is bug you to register every so often.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 23, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah windows has gotten waaaaaaay better at reinstalling it's almost painless. and if it happens when you don't have install media any windows 10 pc can do it and it comes with the majority of the relevant updates that copy of win 10 had which is a huge timesaver.

ANIME ACKBAR: that's not a terrible deal but it's more than i would spend on a 3070 and 3700X; i'm in the UK but I could find some closer to 1836 with straight currency conversion, although the storage is a little worse. for gaming the CPU is overkill and a 5600X would do better (better single core performance and 6 is enough cores basically) but it's far from awful and if you have a productivity role it could be justified. 16 is the sweet spot for gaming, adding another kit is as easy as buying the same kind of ram and popping them in there and turning the XMP on again.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

njsykora posted:

You download the Windows 10 installation media tool from the Microsoft website,

Also, if you are visiting MS website to get Win10 Pro, I’m like 95% certain you can buy a bootable installment thumb drive directly from MS. It’s easy to do yourself (I recommend a 32Gb drive), but the separate drive is a real winner to throw in a desk drawer just in case!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I posted at the beginning of this month about a friend being willing to sell me a lightly-used 2070 for $450, and the thread's opinion seemed to be that the market might shift but it was probably a good idea to take. I actually misunderstood and they're willing to give it to me for $400. How are things looking most of a month later, are card prices still turbofucked? Should I take that deal and figure out a box to put it in?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

I posted at the beginning of this month about a friend being willing to sell me a lightly-used 2070 for $450, and the thread's opinion seemed to be that the market might shift but it was probably a good idea to take. I actually misunderstood and they're willing to give it to me for $400. How are things looking most of a month later, are card prices still turbofucked? Should I take that deal and figure out a box to put it in?

Yeah that's a good deal (still).

https://twitter.com/3DCenter_org/status/1417023903126343688?s=20

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I have a 1070 driving a 1080p TV and it can do Cyberpunk at Max/Ultra for reference.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

njsykora posted:

You download the Windows 10 installation media tool from the Microsoft website, then use that to create a bootable USB drive. It's actually very simple, just remember to disconnect any drives that aren't the installation drive or you'll end up having headaches later on if you need to change out a drive. All the license stuff is handled through your Microsoft account, so once you log into that during installation it should automatically figure out if you have a license and all it'll do if you don't is bug you to register every so often.

I cannot emphasize enough how important this is; changing over hard drives on my new system I ended up having to do a fresh install of windows with only the OS drive plugged in because windows kept insisting on putting the UEFI stuff onto a different drive, which meant without that drive (which I was moving on from) the windows wouldnt boot at all. It's dumb as hell but there you are.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Also, it's a good idea to put your updated chip set drivers on the flashdrive as well. It's a life saver if you need new drivers to interact with something like say your NIC.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I have a 1070 driving a 1080p TV and it can do Cyberpunk at Max/Ultra for reference.

What kind of CPU do you have? It's a lot more important for 1080p performance vs 1440p/4k

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mA posted:

What kind of CPU do you have? It's a lot more important for 1080p performance vs 1440p/4k

Not if you're bottlenecked by your GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Now that prices are starting to come down/stabilize, I think I'm looking to take the plunge on a GPU, since I'm afraid of them skyrocketing again. There's a few deals going around my country, but I'm feeling completely lost when choosing between them.

To start with, I'm located in Greece, currency is Euro, and our tax is 24%, for price adjustments. My intended target is gaming, including emulation, ideally using two monitors somehow (one for the game, the other for browser/Discord etc), and possibly streaming. 1440p/60Hz would be ideal, and 120Hz would be even better, of course.

I initially was looking for a 3060Ti, basically the current model of my 660Ti, but I realized that for a small difference I could get a 3070, so that's been my search mostly. I'm also primarily interested in a card with good cooling capabilities, as I live in a hot country, and cooling is the main issue with my current machine (although I haven't researched if 2-fan designs may do similar work a 3-fan ones).

Today I stumbled on a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB Gaming OC for around 930 euro, which seems to be a discounted price from being around 1100 originally. It seemed like decent value compared to the original price and with the shortages/prices being what they are, so I thought it merited looking into, possibly pulling the trigger this weekend.
3070 cards start at 1050, so those seem right out, if the Ti (with OC, although I hope the OC isn't a detriment) can be had for 100 less.
There's also the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC Pro 8G for 750. It's the cheapest of the three options on the table, but also seems to have much less availability (it's one of two 3060 Tis available, the other is 900 for a 2-fan model by Gainward). Once again, the OC does have me slightly concerned, regarding heat specifically. For ~200 less than the 3070 Ti it seems fair, and it is what I was originally having in mind (but prices were in the 900+ region).
Someone recommended I look into the Radeon 6700 XT as well, and there do appear to be cards available at the 800-900 range, although I'm not too sure about the manufacturers. There does seem to be a Asus Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB Gaming AMD available for 840. Seems to be better value for not much worse performance to the 3070 Ti, but I'm very unfamiliar with Radeon cards.

There also seem to be some available at another shop (not part of the aggregator used for the above, which doesn't have an option to search for multiple chipsets in the same search), but a lot of the ones at the better price points (800, 850 euro) seem to be available to order, rather than readily available. Time to deliver is not a huge issue if I can get a good card at a good price, but I can call them tomorrow to confirm exactly what that means in terms of price or actual availability. For those curious, you can find the search here. It's all in Greek, so basically the green button means "add to cart", if it doesn't have that, it's available to order. I couldn't find an English version of the site, despite the store being the biggest player in the market here.

I'm looking to make a decision during the weekend, as this is something I've been having in mind since December, and it's a prime opportunity, unless prices are likely to drop further (but the tweet above seems to indicate otherwise).

The rest of the build is also not set in stone, but the plan is a 5600X processor on a B550 board if it makes any difference. Case can be bought to size, for example