Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
reading the Rome: Open City thread

there was a clip i saw once from a WWII movie, black and white so probably around then or just after. I recall it being in english and there's an italian guy basically saying to a german soldier that they (the nazis) hosed everything up (socially, not sure if he was anti-fash resistance but he was in civilian clothers iirc) and the German soldier goes "how dare you insult ze fuhrer!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Alan Smithee posted:

reading the Rome: Open City thread

there was a clip i saw once from a WWII movie, black and white so probably around then or just after. I recall it being in english and there's an italian guy basically saying to a german soldier that they (the nazis) hosed everything up (socially, not sure if he was anti-fash resistance but he was in civilian clothers iirc) and the German soldier goes "how dare you insult ze fuhrer!"

"That would take an artist. I am but a mechanic."

-Sahara, with Humphrey Bogart. A favorite movie of my my dad and especially my Granddad, who fought in Africa as a member of the 1st Armored Division.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 9, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolarFire2 posted:

-Sahara, with Humphrey Bogart.

Here's the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-QM6sUHGhM

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
This is the hardest one I’ve ever put to the thread - “The Movie”

There’s this movie that’s been appearing in my dreams for years, ever since I saw it (or dreamed I saw it) on Netflix around 2016.

It’s some kind of indie cosmic horror deal that may or may not use puppets, a scene might occur in a movie theatre, and the name of either the movie or the series or the people who made it was something like “star wolf 35”

Iirc it was part of a series but I only ever saw this one, the second or third one.

It wasn’t especially violent and may be totally non-violent. It was more gross, reminded me of PFFR or the residents

I think it is American, at the very least the cast is primarily white people speaking english

I don’t remember literally anything else. It is NOT meet the feebles or I Can See You or those Crispin Glover movies. Long shot and no biggie

dangerburrd fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 9, 2021

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

British made for TV children's movie or possibly mini-series I saw in the 90s.
Protagonist is an overweight girl. She and her mum move to a village with a dark past. Girl befriends an old lady. Turns out the old villagers have some sort of magic powers and many years ago some bad things went down. The old lady's mother became a sort of avatar for their power and there was an image of her rising from a lake wreathed in fire and wearing a mask. "A monster. We called it sanctuary," is how I think the old lady described it.
There's a scene where the girl tries to explain things to her mother, who not only dismisses it but says she's making up stories because she's lonely. "You're fat and you're lonely and each makes the other worse" is how I remember her putting it.
At some point there's a boy who has powers and bleeds from his nose or ears when he tries using them.

The antagonist is a young woman who also has the powers. She eventually takes control of the old villagers and makes them chant together. The old lady resists until she hurts her. At some point bad woman loses control and a mob confront her as she stands by a cliff. Fat girl pleads not to hurt her, old lady insists it must be done but eventually is convinced to spare bad woman who kills herself anyway by jumping off the cliff.

I was quite young when I saw this and some details may be completely wrong

e: remembered another detail. At one point the old lady shows the girl the site of an old fire and says "there are many scars in this village, but this is the deepest one". I think it was where they burned their children's toys or maybe the school burned down. There's some reason there aren't many children around

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 10, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

childrens movie I watched in the early 90s. could have been british or american. secret garden / never ending story sequel vibes. vhs as hell. I remember a scene where there is an array of tents, like smallish circus tents in a muddy field, and some adults are in the tents making food or mixing potions or something. this might have been a dream actually

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

dangerburrd posted:

There’s this movie that’s been appearing in my dreams for years, ever since I saw it (or dreamed I saw it) on Netflix around 2016.

It’s some kind of indie cosmic horror deal that may or may not use puppets, a scene might occur in a movie theatre, and the name of either the movie or the series or the people who made it was something like “star wolf 35”

Iirc it was part of a series but I only ever saw this one, the second or third one.

It wasn’t especially violent and may be totally non-violent. It was more gross, reminded me of PFFR or the residents

I think it is American, at the very least the cast is primarily white people speaking english

I don’t remember literally anything else. It is NOT meet the feebles or I Can See You or those Crispin Glover movies. Long shot and no biggie

total stab in the dark - maybe The Void (2016)? indie cosmic horror, american, practical monsters I guess you could be remembering as puppets, production company is Astron 6 which if you squint real hard could be kind of like "star wolf 35". Nothing in a movie theater that I could remember though, it's set in a hospital

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

gey muckle mowser posted:

total stab in the dark - maybe The Void (2016)? indie cosmic horror, american, practical monsters I guess you could be remembering as puppets, production company is Astron 6 which if you squint real hard could be kind of like "star wolf 35". Nothing in a movie theater that I could remember though, it's set in a hospital

I found this in my own search and it is unfortunately not it. Sounds cool though.

The more I think about it there might not be any violence at all

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

dangerburrd posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow? Another total stab in the dark.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

dangerburrd posted:

I don't have much to offer, but Wolf 359 is an actual star (and features prominently in Star Trek TNG.) Maybe this can narrow down your Google searches.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Bit of a departure from the norm but I’m trying to remember a music video from 1998-2003 where the defining image in my head was that the drummer (who I picture being in a warehouse or other open space like that) had red drumsticks which stood out against the black backdrop.

I could’ve sworn this was David Gray’s “Babylon”, and that’s definitely the vibe of the song. In my memory, it wasn’t a band it was just a dude’s name. Also I’m pretty sure that the drum part that focused on the sticks was him hitting the rim and not the actual skin of a snare drum.

Thanks!

edit: it totally was Babylon. Google provides the official video which was the first one filmed around London. He made a different music video when the song became a single in the states but it looks like that one isn’t as popular on the ol’ search engines

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 12, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Trevor Hale posted:

Bit of a departure from the norm but I’m trying to remember a music video from 1998-2003 where the defining image in my head was that the drummer (who I picture being in a warehouse or other open space like that) had red drumsticks which stood out against the black backdrop.

I could’ve sworn this was David Gray’s “Babylon”, and that’s definitely the vibe of the song. In my memory, it wasn’t a band it was just a dude’s name. Also I’m pretty sure that the drum part that focused on the sticks was him hitting the rim and not the actual skin of a snare drum.

Thanks!

edit: it totally was Babylon. Google provides the official video which was the first one filmed around London. He made a different music video when the song became a single in the states but it looks like that one isn’t as popular on the ol’ search engines

The thread cracks another case. Well done, fellows!

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

childrens movie I watched in the early 90s. could have been british or american. secret garden / never ending story sequel vibes. vhs as hell. I remember a scene where there is an array of tents, like smallish circus tents in a muddy field, and some adults are in the tents making food or mixing potions or something. this might have been a dream actually

Maybe the 1983 version of Something Wicked This Way Comes?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Price Check posted:

Maybe the 1983 version of Something Wicked This Way Comes?

I should watch that. All I remember was kind of a tarot / gypsy vibe to the scene. There were kids running around and like gypsies in the tents. Like i said it might be a dream / combo of different things

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SolarFire2 posted:

"That would take an artist. I am but a mechanic."

-Sahara, with Humphrey Bogart. A favorite movie of my my dad and especially my Granddad, who fought in Africa as a member of the 1st Armored Division.

bingo bango

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This one might be a TV show, but I recall two middle-aged brothers Iiving in their dead mother's house on a rural/small town UK council estate. One brother is a bit simple and dresses in an outdated powder blue football team's tracksuit and draws childlike pictures with crayon. He has to do the toilet in a cupboard because his older brother has laid claim to the rest of the house and his dole money. The brother was a greasy guy in a donkey jacket or army jacket. Vic and Bob come to mind, but even though it was comedy it seems too mean spirited for them and I can't find it. Does this ring any bells?

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Reminded me of sunnyside farm but having looked up pictures that's not it

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Disco Pope posted:

This one might be a TV show, but I recall two middle-aged brothers Iiving in their dead mother's house on a rural/small town UK council estate. One brother is a bit simple and dresses in an outdated powder blue football team's tracksuit and draws childlike pictures with crayon. He has to do the toilet in a cupboard because his older brother has laid claim to the rest of the house and his dole money. The brother was a greasy guy in a donkey jacket or army jacket. Vic and Bob come to mind, but even though it was comedy it seems too mean spirited for them and I can't find it. Does this ring any bells?
100 Bloody Acres, maybe?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
We enjoy discussing movies with my godmother, who, it must be said, gets very confused and forgets all sorts of details. Help us determine what she watched last night!

There was a father dressed in white, and his two sons, one the hero and one evil. They may have been gods. The evil son kills the father with a spear, and also kills the good guys girlfriend, but she is pulled back from the 'realm of death' at some point.

They also get wings, or maybe change shapes, while fighting. They fly, for certain. Also, one of them is blinded by the other, but eventually regains his eyesight, perhaps by putting something in the eye sockets?

We've determined for certain that it's neither a marvel movie or pertaining to the norse gods, and it's not one the Mummy films, which she's also seen.

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 18, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tias posted:

We enjoy discussing movies with my godmother, who, it must be said, gets very confused and forgets all sorts of details. Help us determine what she watched last night!

There was a father dressed in white, and his two sons, one the hero and one evil. They may have been gods. The evil son kills the father with a spear, and also kills the good guys girlfriend, but she is pulled back from the 'realm of death' at some point.

They also get wings, or maybe change shapes, while fighting. They fly, for certain. Also, one of them is blinded by the other, but eventually regains his eyesight, perhaps by putting something in the eye sockets?

We've determined for certain that it's neither a marvel movie or pertaining to the norse gods, and it's not one the Mummy films, which she's also seen.

Doesnt fit all the details, but: Gods of Egypt? Also, did she watch it on Netflix. Prime, a DVD, or on broadcast TV? (I'm presuming not on streaming or you could just have her check her watch history).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That's it! Thanks a lot :D

She saw in on broadcast here in Denmark, so checking tv guides was fruitless as she couldn't recall which channel programme it was.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A short scene in a recent film or TV show where a bunch of stray dogs are barking at a scorpion in the desert. This has nothing to do with the plot and is just a throwaway five seconds to establish the mood.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone eats a big spoonful of instant coffee. I knew it’s one of the nightmare on elm st. movies just not sure which one.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ruddiger posted:

Someone eats a big spoonful of instant coffee. I knew it’s one of the nightmare on elm st. movies just not sure which one.

It's partricia arquette in the opening credits to part 3.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Origami Dali posted:

Odd question, but is there an alternative version of that with a more new-wave style soundtrack? I had the VHS as a kid and the song (as I remember it) gets stuck in my head sometimes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

Odd question, but is there an alternative version of that with a more new-wave style soundtrack? I had the VHS as a kid and the song (as I remember it) gets stuck in my head sometimes.

Yep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ-xWNNAt4c

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

oldpainless posted:

A knife is thrown at a guy who stops it with some type of power and casually bats it aside.

This was from Civil War in a scene between Wanda and Hawkeye IF ANY OF YOU EVEN CARE

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm looking for a particular scene involving a kung fu trope where a master holds something small in his hand and the apprentice has to snatch it. Usually it's a pebble, but the one I'm looking for involves a coin or a washer. It would've been a movie or tv show from the 80's or 90's.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm looking for a particular scene involving a kung fu trope where a master holds something small in his hand and the apprentice has to snatch it. Usually it's a pebble, but the one I'm looking for involves a coin or a washer. It would've been a movie or tv show from the 80's or 90's.

Blood sport?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
If it's not that, here's a tv tropes for it: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhenYouSnatchThePebble

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It happens in the Kung Fu tv series, that’s from the 70’s.
e: not a fan of TV Tropes, but apparently it’s the first entry.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I didn't even think to look there, thanks.

The scene I was looking for was from the Super Mario Brothers Super Show, from the episode Karate Koopa.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ah, thanks! That should keep the synthesiser riff fresh in my brain for another 20 years.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm looking for a black-and-white film of which an excerpt was featured in Godard's The Image Book. Said excerpt consists of a tracking shot moving from left to right along the outside of a train. Whenever the camera reaches one of the train windows, it briefly pauses to peek inside while a voice-over tells us a few facts about the passenger inhabiting that compartment (namely what they did during World War 2 and what they are doing now). I'm reasonably confident it's a Hollywood production that was made not too long after the war ended, but that's all I have to go on.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm looking for a black-and-white film of which an excerpt was featured in Godard's The Image Book. Said excerpt consists of a tracking shot moving from left to right along the outside of a train. Whenever the camera reaches one of the train windows, it briefly pauses to peek inside while a voice-over tells us a few facts about the passenger inhabiting that compartment (namely what they did during World War 2 and what they are doing now). I'm reasonably confident it's a Hollywood production that was made not too long after the war ended, but that's all I have to go on.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5749596/movieconnections/?ref_=tt_trv_cnn

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Disco Pope posted:

Thanks to both of these posters, I was watching an old vhs copy of the movie and they removed the coffee eating shot AND replaced the music in that scene, I thought I was going crazy for a second there.

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

Disco Pope posted:

Was it this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NPe1e1ohCs

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Thanks. Looking at the entries from the 40s and 50s, the film I'm after is most likely Berlin Express by forum favourite Jacques Tourneur.

Though that list seems woefully incomplete, so it might just as easily be one of the several dozen features not mentioned on it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Yeah, that's the one! There's a little like 7 note riff that's been in my head for decades.

Here's another one - my partner described watching a horror movie where a mother and son live in a haunted house and later find bodies inside the walls. Fairly generic, but I can't think of anything specific. My partners era of horror watching was mainly 2010s Blumhouse kind of stuff, so I'd guess something fairly recent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

Here's another one - my partner described watching a horror movie where a mother and son live in a haunted house and later find bodies inside the walls. Fairly generic, but I can't think of anything specific. My partners era of horror watching was mainly 2010s Blumhouse kind of stuff, so I'd guess something fairly recent.

The Haunting in Connecticut? I only saw this once, years back, but reading a plot synopsis it looks like what I'm remembering, and seems to match your description.