Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Casimir Radon posted:

I got an ad a few weeks ago for one of those big flag poles you plug into a receiver hitch. I hope whoever decided to make that into an actual business loses their rear end.

A major profit source for Harley-Davidson is replacing the transmission on motorcycles that have burned them out due to the drag of massive flags waving from the back of the bike at highway speeds.

They’re basically towing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The trucks driving around with one or more flags fluttering in the bed are the most pathetic and funny drat things. The truly pathetic insecurity of Big Boy Truck + Trump! or gently caress Joe Biden flags gives me a chuckle every time. So impressive, a real man's man you are, huh?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

How are u posted:

The trucks driving around with one or more flags fluttering in the bed are the most pathetic and funny drat things. The truly pathetic insecurity of Big Boy Truck + Trump! or gently caress Joe Biden flags gives me a chuckle every time. So impressive, a real man's man you are, huh?

A truck without scratching, without dirt. Spotless. Truly, a working person's vehicle. They're so transparent.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Had a friend who always started conversations with new people about his gun collection and big truck and I finally had to pull him aside and tell him that he had to knock that off when he was talking to women because it's a huge flashing neon sign that you have a tiny dick.

Tho if you're ever in dire need of a gun just look for one of those trucks with an NRA or moron label sticker on it and chances are you'll find some extremely expensive revolver in the glovebox or a gun that John Wick used in the console.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It feels like 'spotless luxury truck' has skyrocketed to #2 behind expensive sports car as an indicator that they'll drive like an aggressive idiot

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Had a friend who always started conversations with new people about his gun collection and big truck and I finally had to pull him aside and tell him that he had to knock that off when he was talking to women because it's a huge flashing neon sign that you have a tiny dick.

Tho if you're ever in dire need of a gun just look for one of those trucks with an NRA or moron label sticker on it and chances are you'll find some extremely expensive revolver in the glovebox or a gun that John Wick used in the console.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

-Blackadder- posted:

I don't think anyone buys anything from Fox News, at least not anyone that hasn't been mainlining Hannity's hair gel for years. It's one clip. No more. No less. It's a good thing in and of itself if it saves even one life. But I haven't seen a huge swathe of people acting like Fox is going to replace Waters with Maddow or AOC is going to invite Hannity over for tea. People reporting that they did one clip and that finally a single good thing came out of their house of lies isn't assuming that they've suddenly transformed into the good guys.

RIght.

And we're staring down a second (fourth?) wave now almost entirely because CHUDS refuse to get vaccinated or take this poo poo seriously. I expect a lot of sudden grave concern and heavy criticism over Biden's handling of the pandemic now that a democrat is in charge even though the previous administration and FOX basically just said "gently caress it".

Biden is BEGGING people to get vaxxed and it is incredibly easy to do. I don't even mind giving points to Trump for "fast tracking" or whatever if that's what it takes but it doesn't do any good if motherfuckers are just like "nope" and going on about their freedoms and microchips and dumb poo poo. Biden can't FORCE people to get the shots, at least not for the most part.

E:

How are u posted:

I'm surrounded by them and they're loving loud too. Also, those people drive like aggressive assholes to person. WTF is even cool about a LOUD VEHICLE unless you're 17 years old and trying to show off?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 21, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Same thing happened on Hannity's radio show today where he took a call from an antivaxxer and praised the guy for valuing freedom and liberty. He even made a mention that he's glad he never told anyone to take the vaccine because I guess some institute in Cleveland said that if you've already had covid that you don't need to get vaccinated, and he was like "I'm not a doctor so if I'd given medical advice to get the vaccine and someone did and now the Cleveland study came out they might get mad at me and say hey why did you tell me to get the vaccine when I shouldn't have, and I'd feel really bad."

I got a pretty good laugh today though when on both the Clay and Buck show and on Hannity's show they were praising Rand Paul for his pushing back against the vaccine and were saying "He's a doctor, so he knows what he's talking about!" I was like lol he's a loving ophthalmologist*, like yeah he gets some general medical training but he isn't qualified to say poo poo about respiratory viruses.

* I'm not even really willing to give him the credit of being an ophthalmologist because he made his own board of ophthalmology, certified himself, and then let it expire (which didn't matter because Kentucky doesn't require certification), but even if I were to accept that he is a medical doctor, it's in a completely different field that doesn't give him any sort of standing to make claims about covid.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Antibodies + Vaxx seems to be at least somewhat more effective than Vaxx alone but we don't have much data on it. Natural Antibodies alone aren't nearly as good as the Vaxx.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

How are u posted:

Ah, moment from my youth that makes me laugh to this day. Around the time Pirates of the Caribbean came out and Mcdonalds (who i worked for) was advertising the same I had a pirate flag on my truck. My boss told me I couldn't have that on my truck in the parking lot because it would give people the wrong idea about the place. Seriously he told me "someone might think we're pro-pirate". Uh, you have noticed what the company as a whole is promoting, right?

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 22, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

^ Maybe he thought the movie was about stopping the pirates.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Antibodies + Vaxx seems to be at least somewhat more effective than Vaxx alone but we don't have much data on it. Natural Antibodies alone aren't nearly as good as the Vaxx.

we're talking about neanderthals who don't even accept the germ theory of disease, the data on antibodies is doesn't matter poo poo to them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I basically take any truck that's not obviously a work truck as a cultural shibboleth for chud. The amount of rear end in a top hat drivers cutting people off in pristine white F150 XLs since I moved back to Texas...

The assholery is compounded since those things are vastly more likely to kill someone they hit, because they shove you into the pavement and under the wheels instead of rolling you over the hood. I assume this is seen as a plus by the drivers.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I know in some states you can tell the difference between commercial and non-commercial trucks based on their plates, so you know who is a gas-guzzling moron and who actually needs it

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If you see a truck with four doors and it doesn't have business or city markings all over it, there is a 95% chance that they use the truck as a passenger car only. It's cosplay country/blue collar poo poo at that point. They really think that there's no reason to get a car or SUV. Even though either of the two would be a much better and likely less expensive option.

Me? Well we only have one car so I need something that can do it all a minivan.

The automotive industry clued into this years ago and this is why most trucks these days have four doors. They realized a long time ago that the vast majority of people don't use trucks to haul poo poo other than people.

Some folks do need the extra towing or carrying capacity of the truck, though, but not enough that they can justify sacrificing the second row of seating.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 22, 2021

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I basically take any truck that's not obviously a work truck as a cultural shibboleth for chud. The amount of rear end in a top hat drivers cutting people off in pristine white F150 XLs since I moved back to Texas...

The assholery is compounded since those things are vastly more likely to kill someone they hit, because they shove you into the pavement and under the wheels instead of rolling you over the hood. I assume this is seen as a plus by the drivers.

It's actually a selling point at the dealership: "They keep you safer in a crash." It's perfect for the demographic because all you have to do is whisper that the roads are more dangerous these days don't you want to protect your family and then it's all over except for how many layers of rust-proofing they want.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The biggest hurdle to these people getting the vaccine is they never thought the pandemic was real or a big deal to begin with.

https://twitter.com/UrbanAchievr/status/1418224536185671680?s=20

This is the psycho that wrote the infamous Flight 93 Election essay.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 22, 2021

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

greazeball posted:

It's actually a selling point at the dealership: "They keep you safer in a crash." It's perfect for the demographic because all you have to do is whisper that the roads are more dangerous these days don't you want to protect your family and then it's all over except for how many layers of rust-proofing they want.

The funny thing is that deaths per vehicle mile are the lowest they have ever been ... but pedestrian deaths and motorcycle deaths are up (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year). Some people blame the individual for being on cell phones rather than the fact that people are driving huge vehicles with lovely sight lines.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

There was a report issued by my state a few years back showing that more than half of motorcycle accidents were single vehicle accidents.
There are a lot of military bases around here, and the combination of young EMs with a decent paycheck and zoomy-zoom cycles adds a lot to that figure. Can't even count the number of times some dipshit on a cycle is weaving at high speed through traffic like he's in some video game. Except loving up IRL doesn't lead to a respawn.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

The biggest hurdle to these people getting the vaccine is they never thought the pandemic was real or a big deal to begin with.

https://twitter.com/UrbanAchievr/status/1418224536185671680?s=20

This is the psycho that wrote the infamous Flight 93 Election essay.

Texas' population is 29 million. California's is 39 million and they have a bigger economy.

Interesting to see the old Southern, "Sure we have zero military advantages but we're such hardasses we'll win anyway" attitude still alive.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

Texas' population is 29 million. California's is 39 million and they have a bigger economy.

Interesting to see the old Southern, "Sure we have zero military advantages but we're such hardasses we'll win anyway" attitude still alive.

I remember a Texan telling me way back in 2009 that if Texas seceded they'd be able to do it no problem because of all the "nuclear missiles that got sent there for disposal".

Ignoring the fact that the military stationed in Texas probably wouldn't all suddenly decide to join the Texas Republic Reborn, there are a bunch of other reasons why that is hilariously stupid, so yeah this tracks.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 22, 2021

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
It's especially hilarious when you consider that every urban area, where the majority of commerce is done, would absolutely loving riot over any attempts to secede and any attempts would immediately shatter.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

I remember a Texan telling me way back in 2009 that if Texas seceded they'd be able to do it no problem because of all the "nuclear missiles that got sent there for disposal".

Ignoring the fact that the military stationed in Texas probably wouldn't all suddenly decide to join the Texas Republic Reborn, there are a bunch of other reasons why that is hilariously stupid, so yeah this tracks.

maybe they meant in "do what we say or we'll nuke the hostage, even if we , ourseleves are the hostage" sense.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The most realistic "texas succession" lore i got from the texas thread where texas breaks into separate states.

There is 0 chance stays whole if it sucedes.

We cant even agree if meat belongs in chili.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

The best part is Anton is Californian and a dandy. First book was The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style written under the pseudonym Nicolas Antongiavanni.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I'm sure all those New Yorkers and Californians stationed in Fort Hood will go full Bobby Lee

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

The best part is Anton is Californian and a dandy. First book was The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style written under the pseudonym Nicolas Antongiavanni.

He used to be a prolific poster on a men’s fashion forum.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Zeroisanumber posted:

Sam Houston posted:

Let me tell you what is coming. After the sacrifice of countless millions of treasure and hundreds of thousands of lives you may win Southern independence, but I doubt it. The North is determined to preserve this Union. They are not a fiery, impulsive people as you are, for they live in colder climates. But when they begin to move in a given direction, they move with the steady momentum and perseverance of a mighty avalanche.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah these people in their big gently caress off trucks can get right out of my face with their bullshit. They're loud, mean, tailgate me doing 80 and passing someone in the fast lane and really like to make a show about what they're driving. Around here they like wave flags showing how much they love cops, Trump and whatever the gently caress they think America is supposed to represent.

On I95 they seem to think it's a NASCAR race where the only goal is to be faster than anyone else. On the off roads, it's mostly just about being loud. They suck.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Paolomania posted:

The funny thing is that deaths per vehicle mile are the lowest they have ever been ... but pedestrian deaths and motorcycle deaths are up (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year). Some people blame the individual for being on cell phones rather than the fact that people are driving huge vehicles with lovely sight lines.

There's the new Cadillac/Chevy SUV whose hood height is so high, an 8 year old would have to be 14 feet in front of the car in order for the driver to see.

https://twitter.com/andyjayhawk/status/1316038292769566723

On the other hand, motorcyclists usually drive like assholes around here.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This is just me but I don't think a toddler should be reviewing cars at all, let alone luxury SUVs. Maybe wait for a growth spurt (or two!) Andrew.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed that, thanks.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Michael Anton posted:

"long experiment with postmodern deracination and anti-masculinity."

I know they all like to envision themselves as one of those ripped guys in an army green American flag graphic tee with the fashy haircut and manly beard that you see in right-wing memes holding a tacticlol AR-15, or some John Wayne spin-off - but this is always been funny to me because I've never personally known a chud whose own personal sense of "masculine" pride was anything other than their beer gut and an ability to take out a 12-pack of Miller Light in one sitting, or how much red meat they consume. These are all people who bought a big truck and a gun and said "Whelp! I'm a real man now not some sissy liberal state latte sipping Prius driver!" and called it a day. I don't think they'd fare nearly as well as they think they would in some hypothetical civil war with a blue state when their strategy is based on some lazy notion of what "being a real man" is supposed to mean. Half of them would have a heart attack just trying to make it to the front line.

tek79 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 23, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I mean pound for pound the Civil War has to be the most quotable war ever. Every Northerner sounds like Shakespeare in trenches.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean pound for pound the Civil War has to be the most quotable war ever. Every Northerner sounds like Shakespeare in trenches.

Yeah that Texas senator sure sounds like a quotable fellow.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Klaus88 posted:

Yeah that Texas senator sure sounds like a quotable fellow.

I mean I guess I could have gone with Unionist

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Zeroisanumber posted:

That Sam Houston quote was already posted but I also enjoy Sherman's little speech after South Carolina seceded from the Union

quote:

You people of the South don’t know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization!

You people speak so lightly of war; you don’t know what you’re talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it…
Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth-right at your doors.

You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sam Houston was anti-secessionist because as the quote I posted above said he knew exactly how it would end up

It got him kicked out of the governorship when things started up and he died a few years later

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

tek79 posted:

I know they all like to envision themselves as one of those ripped guys in an army green American flag graphic tee with the fashy haircut and manly beard that you see in right-wing memes holding a tacticlol AR-15, or some John Wayne spin-off - but this is always been funny to me because I've never personally known a chud whose own personal sense of "masculine" pride was anything other than their beer gut and an ability to take out a 12-pack of Miller Light in one sitting, or how much red meat they consume. These are all people who bought a big truck and a gun and said "Whelp! I'm a real man now not some sissy liberal state latte sipping Prius driver!" and called it a day. I don't think they'd fare nearly as well as they think they would in some hypothetical civil war with a blue state when their strategy is based on some lazy notion of what "being a real man" is supposed to mean. Half of them would have a heart attack just trying to make it to the front line.

an ancient thread where GBS invaded some regressive facebook ripoff had people on oxygen tanks and scooters saying they would either be the best shootmans or be genius generals (from their safe a/c war room)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hihohe posted:

The most realistic "texas succession" lore i got from the texas thread where texas breaks into separate states.

There is 0 chance stays whole if it sucedes.

We cant even agree if meat belongs in chili.
Everyone knows meat belongs in chili, because the full name of the dish is chili con carne :eng101:

You may be thinking of the debate over whether beans can be in there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VitalSigns posted:

Everyone knows meat belongs in chili, because the full name of the dish is chili con carne :eng101:

You may be thinking of the debate over whether beans can be in there too

I mean, you never head about chili sin carne, do you?