Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://twitter.com/TroothBomb/status/1382826379843145729?s=20
it's real lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:kstarehair:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

quote:

Switch Bitch (1974) is a book of adult short stories by British writer Roald Dahl. Four stories, originally published in Playboy between 1965 and 1974,[1] are collected. They are linked by themes of sexual deception: in each one some major act of cunning, cruelty, or hedonism underpins the sexuality.

:catstare:

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's real lol

Don't forget about the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You think dahl wanted to write chocolate factory sequels for the rest of his life?

Same with jk Rowling, she was successful with children's lit, but she really wanted to write transphobic screeds.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ikanreed posted:

You think dahl wanted to write chocolate factory sequels for the rest of his life?

Same with jk Rowling, she was successful with children's lit, but she really wanted to write transphobic screeds.

yeah reading up on Dahl and there's a whole section on his anti-semitism...oof.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

She wrote some detective novels under a pseudonym which in retrospect are transphobic, they didn't sell that well.
and the true identity of the author was mysteriously leaked to the press and they sold like hotcakes.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Roald Dahl was my hero when I was a kid, I read the second part of his autobiography (where he flew in the RAF and shot Nazis) again and again

:smith:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

By popular demand posted:

She wrote some detective novels under a pseudonym which in retrospect are transphobic, they didn't sell that well.
and the true identity of the author was mysteriously leaked to the press and they sold like hotcakes.

Are they the ones with an attempt at a working class dialect that sounds like Bart Simpson reading from his play?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's only one flag a true patriot of any country should be flying in TYOOL 2021.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Data Graham posted:

Get you a flagpole for your used car dealership that's so tall that even when it's permanently raised at half-mast it's still high enough to blot out the sun

Or a flagpole that's no taller than the width of the flag, that way the flag can never be at half mast.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Also his classic story "Lamb to the Slaughter"

https://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lamb.html

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

mrpwase posted:

Roald Dahl was my hero when I was a kid, I read the second part of his autobiography (where he flew in the RAF and shot Nazis) again and again

:smith:

There was a podcast series called The Dead Authors Podcast a while back where comedians would play authors giving funny improvised interviews with Paul F Tompkins playing HG Wells. They'd also answer audience and twitter questions at the end.

Ben Schwartz was on as Roald Dahl because he was his favorite author since he was a kid. A twitter question at the end was basically "what's up with the antisemitism", which confused Schwartz for a second because he was genuinely unaware of it. Then Tompkins confirmed it, read a quote Dahl had given in an interview or something that amounted to "I don't like Jews and honestly stereotypes come from somewhere don't they?" and you could basically hear Schwartz's heart break on stage. It can basically be summed up by the promo they shot for it after the show.
https://youtu.be/trMUEadAm_I

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Jul 23, 2021

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

SpacePig posted:

There was a podcast series called The Dead Authors Podcast a while back where comedians would play authors giving funny improvised interviews with Paul F Tompkins playing HG Wells. They'd also answer audience and twitter questions at the end.

Ben Schwartz was on as Roald Dahl because he was his favorite author since he was a kid. A twitter question at the end was basically "what's up with the antisemitism", which confused Schwartz for a second because he was genuinely unaware of it. Then Tompkins confirmed it, read a quote Dahl had given in an interview or something that amounted to "I don't like Jews and honestly stereotypes come from somewhere don't they?" and you could basically hear Schwartz's heart break on stage. It can basically be summed up by the promo they shot for it after the show.
https://youtu.be/trMUEadAm_I

This entire podcast is really really great and funny, Paul F. Tompkins is hilarious and has funny friends.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I wish I wasn't poor because I have never wanted a specific t-shirt more in my entire life :stare:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you haven't read The Irregulars, I highly recommend it.

Roald Dahl, Ian Fleming, Noel Coward, and Leslie Howard had basically the most incredible spy job in history.

Churchill sent them to America to seduce the wives of dumb country cracker politicians so they'd convince their husbands to support the war efforts.

The chocolate factory guy and the james bond guy pretty much hosed every American senator's wife to defeat Hitler. It owns.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also someone really needs to make a movie about Christopher Lee. That man was really, shockingly good at killing nazis.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Data Graham posted:

Get you a flagpole for your used car dealership that's so tall that even when it's permanently raised at half-mast it's still high enough to blot out the sun
There's an RV dealership in Alabama I drive past and they have a flag so big it would drag the ground at half mast so at best they go 3/4. And it's a pretty tall pole to start :patriot:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Also someone really needs to make a movie about Christopher Lee. That man was really, shockingly good at killing nazis.

There's that bit in the special features on the LOTR DVDs where Peter Jackson talks about Christopher Lee having to correct him on the sound somebody makes when you stab them in the lungs from the back

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Phy posted:

There's that bit in the special features on the LOTR DVDs where Peter Jackson talks about Christopher Lee having to correct him on the sound somebody makes when you stab them in the lungs from the back

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

There's an RV dealership in Alabama I drive past and they have a flag so big it would drag the ground at half mast so at best they go 3/4. And it's a pretty tall pole to start :patriot:

much like people who yell about the constitution, americans obsessed with the flag and flag code know the absolute least about it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/Chinchillazllla/status/1418406631034036226?s=19

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

If you haven't read The Irregulars, I highly recommend it.

Roald Dahl, Ian Fleming, Noel Coward, and Leslie Howard had basically the most incredible spy job in history.

Churchill sent them to America to seduce the wives of dumb country cracker politicians so they'd convince their husbands to support the war efforts.

The chocolate factory guy and the james bond guy pretty much hosed every American senator's wife to defeat Hitler. It owns.

The best quote ever (from a gross antisemite)

Roald Dahl posted:

'I am all f****d out!' Dahl shouted down the phone in a call to his superiors, begging to be reassigned. 'That g****** woman has absolutely screwed me from one end of the room to the other for three goddam nights!'
His request was turned down. He was reminded that he was doing this for Britain.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yeah according to some of his relatives and friends he wasn't so much a bigot as much as he just constantly aggravated people just because.

That if true is of course is not an improvement.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

I remember watching this when the director's cut extended special edition super awesome dvd came out in like, 2004 or 2005, whatever. I binged all three movies and watched every behind the scenes footage and documentary from them and this had such an impression on me that:

1.) Christopher Lee is (at least, was) extremely underrated
2.) Sometimes you just...don't know how much of a badass a person is until they tell you about the time they secretly killed Nazis.

I am happy this gets passed around every so often even 15 years after the RotK came out because it's just...:swoon:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

dialhforhero posted:

I remember watching this when the director's cut extended special edition super awesome dvd came out in like, 2004 or 2005, whatever. I binged all three movies and watched every behind the scenes footage and documentary from them and this had such an impression on me that:

2.) Sometimes you just...don't know how much of a badass a person is until they tell you about the time they secretly killed Nazis.

I am happy this gets passed around every so often even 15 years after the RotK came out because it's just...:swoon:

Don't forget that the chef, Julia Child, and the Smithsonian Institution ornithologist, S. Dillon Ripley, both worked for the OSS during WW2.
:awesomelon:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ronald Dahl was an enormous fuckboi.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Christopher Lee did a narration of Poe's The Raven and it fuckin rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BefliMlEzZ8

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

bike tory posted:

I've got some bad news for you about how fractions, specifically halves, work.

loll

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hear me out now ...... fixed flags with raisable flagpoles

lol

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, even aside from being sexually assaulted and then blacklisted over it he also nearly died filming the hanging stunt in The Mummy and I think still suffers chronic pain from it.

And even with all that, every interview I've seen with him in regards to Doom Patrol he gives props to the actor in the costume. Class act all around.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

When?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
For a long time he was mostly consigned to the goofy horror movie genre and voiceover work. LotR really gave him a second round of renown

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The problem with that is, who the gently caress could play Christopher Lee?

Also, Lee was into Metal and put out his own metal album late in life.
He also worked with a bunch of bands on producing their own albums.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, Lee was into Metal and put out his own metal album late in life.
He also worked with a bunch of bands on producing their own albums.

He was also super into Looney Tunes cartoons and would go to the theatre with Peter Cushing to watch them and every time they'd meet up they'd continually quote them at each other, like proto-Simpsons fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a23dqErYnw

Peter Cushing was also SUPER into historical wargaming, using the rules created by HG Wells. I haven't been able to find out if he ever roped Chistopher Lee into playing it but given how close they were I wouldn't be surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGag8Qllgnw

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Christopher Lee was so metal he released two symphonic metal concept albums about Charlemange.

Also,

Wikipedia posted:

His fourth EP and third annual Christmas release came in December 2014, as he put out "Darkest Carols, Faithful Sing," a playful take on "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing." He explained: "It's light-hearted, joyful and fun... At my age, the most important thing for me is to keep active by doing things that I truly enjoy. I do not know how long I am going to be around, so every day is a celebration, and I want to share it with my fans."

Dude was a truly amazing guy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Don't forget that the chef, Julia Child, and the Smithsonian Institution ornithologist, S. Dillon Ripley, both worked for the OSS during WW2.
:awesomelon:

Specifically she was working on a chemical attractant to force sharks to destroy German mines.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Specifically she was working on a chemical attractant to force sharks to destroy German mines.

:monocle:

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hear me out now ...... fixed flags with raisable flagpoles

When your country does big business in performative patriotism it's only natural for just such a thing to be available.

Telescoping flagpoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CannonFodder posted:

I believe you'll find the flag to flagpole ratio is the only true way to determine someone's love for America and how often they vote Republican. One has to "USA" real hard nowadays to stand out.