Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

qirex posted:

the victorians were petty degenerates, why do we make children read so much of their literature

empire poo poo i guess

we didnt read any of that in school here

instead, we have the modern breakthrough with some actual good stuff (esp Herman Bang is fantastic)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Breakthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had an actually good hs english teacher who had us read a lot of really good stuff [crime & punishment, heart of darkness, waiting for godot, the stranger] in addition to all the usual dead british guys which was nice but probably pretty rare in the usa

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

the only thing i remember appreciating in high school english was Raymond Carver's Cathedral, and that put me onto Carver, who's my favorite author to this day

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

qirex posted:

the victorians were petty degenerates, why do we make children read so much of their literature

being public domain helps

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
The best book I read in High School was Tortilla Curtain, because it got me out of having to read Grapes of Wrath.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

you guys actually got to read real books? my school was all lovely 80s paperbacks about "issues". we had to read dozens of the things, but the only ones i remember were one about a homeless boy with some stolen money (also he's dyslexic but it's only mentioned maybe twice in passing when the plot needs it), and one about an indian family in the uk and the entire thing is just repeatedly hitting you over the head with the teenage daughter's angst at having to decide between the modern western life her friends have and the repressed subservient one her parents expect

also the only shakespeare we did was loving Julius Caeser because the english teacher was bored of doing all the good ones.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sweevo posted:

you guys actually got to read real books? my school was all lovely 80s paperbacks about "issues". we had to read dozens of the things, but the only ones i remember were one about a homeless boy with some stolen money (also he's dyslexic but it's only mentioned maybe twice in passing when the plot needs it), and one about an indian family in the uk and the entire thing is just repeatedly hitting you over the head with the teenage daughter's angst at having to decide between the modern western life her friends have and the repressed subservient one her parents expect

also the only shakespeare we did was loving Julius Caeser because the english teacher was bored of doing all the good ones.

it's true most fiction doesn't try and tackle the issues that you encounter in modern life

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

it's true most fiction doesn't try and tackle the issues that you encounter in modern life

also in the usa almost anything that deals with modern issues gets banned by the school board because either it describes something bad or describes something bad as bad depending on which part of the country it is.

either the book is banned because it has a racist character and we can’t expose our children to that or the book is banned because it is unfair to the racist character and we can’t expose our children to that

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lament.cfg posted:

the only thing i remember appreciating in high school english was Raymond Carver's Cathedral, and that put me onto Carver, who's my favorite author to this day

Carver's great, wish we had read him at school.

I took a look at the english gcse list and there's some good stuff there, although the modern prose list is all over the place. lol at The History Boys being an option.

https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk/tag/gcse/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the worst things i remember having to read in school were silas marner and excerpts from walden. both were litterrally unreadable trash

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

also in the usa almost anything that deals with modern issues gets banned by the school board because either it describes something bad or describes something bad as bad depending on which part of the country it is.

either the book is banned because it has a racist character and we can’t expose our children to that or the book is banned because it is unfair to the racist character and we can’t expose our children to that

i think the most "controversial" we stuff i read in the uk was some steinbeck. Which was actually a really good choice because it's very approachable and readable, but is absolutely full of things to discuss.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the worst things i remember having to read in school were silas marner and excerpts from walden. both were litterrally unreadable trash

i also did not enjoy silas marner.should have left that for when students were older

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

thoreau was a huge fart huffer and walden pond is literally a mile away from the center of Concord, MA. in his "life in the woods" he would walk down the road to have breakfast with his other fart huffing writer friends several times a week

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Shaggar posted:

I remember waking up suddenly with my forehead plastered into Walden, three or four pages beyond the last thing I could recall reading.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
didnt thoreau do his laundry at his moms house when he was roughing it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

a early yet thoreau example of a failson

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

pointsofdata posted:

oh these were not good books, these were the educational equivalent of trashy airport novels. you can't really have a discussion about character motivation or layers of meaning when every character literally tells you exactly what they are thinking on every page.

"ok class, on page 98 kathy says 'i wish i hadn't had sex when i was 15, then i wouldn't be pregnant!'. what do you think this means?"

pointsofdata posted:

I took a look at the english gcse list and there's some good stuff there, although the modern prose list is all over the place. lol at The History Boys being an option.

https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk/tag/gcse/

its good now, but in the early 90s GCSEs had only replaced O-Levels a few years earlier, and the gcse syllabus was still a bit directionless.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jonny 290 posted:

Of course not. She came and got it from him, because

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i sometimes bring laundry if i visit the folks for a couple days cause why not do it at their place, itd be silly to leave it at home & also i wanna wear that shirt tomorrow so i need to get that started

e: to be clear, i actually do the laundry myself, just at their house instead of at home

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol loving thoreau so full of himself, i had to read a bunch of his stuff for an honors seminar

tbh if he were alive today he'd 100% be a stoner that lived in a "tiny house" he parked in someone's backyard

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
on the emily dickinson appletv show she goes to meet thoreau at one point

he's played by john mulaney and he's a giant rear end in a top hat

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 23, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Of course not. She came and got it from him, because

loving hmbol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

haveblue posted:

on the emily dickinson tv show she goes to meet thoreau at one point

this is perfect casting lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

on the emily dickinson appletv show she goes to meet thoreau at one point

hilarious

i watched the first half of s1 and really enjoyed it, i'll have to catch up

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

MrQueasy posted:

The best book I read in High School was Tortilla Curtain, because it got me out of having to read Grapes of Wrath.

we read of mice and men which was pretty good with a real depressing fuckin' ending

we also read on the beach which was humanity grappling with the legacy and inevitability of extinction due to the use of nuclear weapons in a large scale war

i guess a lot of our books were either dire, a study in hubris, or about societal flaws so they were decent thinkers if the reader would engage with them on that level

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

we also read on the beach which was humanity grappling with the legacy and inevitability of extinction due to the use of nuclear weapons in a large scale war

i read this in fifth grade because it was in my classroom for some reason and it kinda hosed me up in re nuclear war for a while lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

thoreau was a huge fart huffer and walden pond is literally a mile away from the center of Concord, MA. in his "life in the woods" he would walk down the road to have breakfast with his other fart huffing writer friends several times a week

I didn't realize this originally in school. in fo4 they stuck his cable at a scale distance from the city center and i roll my eyes when I checked and found out it's really that close

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i wonder if theyre still teaching grapes of wrath in 2021.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

i have a feeling they dont

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Agile Vector posted:

we read of mice and men which was pretty good with a real depressing fuckin' ending

i guess a lot of our books were either dire, a study in hubris, or about societal flaws so they were decent thinkers if the reader would engage with them on that level

Same... I remember enjoying Catch-22, Brave New World, 1984, 12th Night, Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, and Emerson's Invisible Man in HS.

I still hate Heart of Darkness, though... mainly because I had to read it three times throughout high school and college due to English and Sociology/History crossovers.

More dishonorable mentions: Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, Walden

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

i read this in fifth grade because it was in my classroom for some reason and it kinda hosed me up in re nuclear war for a while lol

drat, yeah that's be a rough one at that age! i think it was in a set of reading one summer and it stuck with me for a long time

guliver's travels was in that set, too, and all that left me with was incredible boredom after reading about the end of humanity

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MrQueasy posted:

Emerson's Invisible Man

That's incredibly cool that you all read invisible man. Our teacher tried to cover Native Son by Richard Wright but got turned down by the department. She recommended that we all read it on our own time.

I didn't get to read it until I was much older but it's a great book.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

She also managed to convince the department that we should read east of eden instead of 1984. Pretty cool teacher in hindsight.

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 23, 2021

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

oh we also read nectar in a sieve and kaffir boy, as well as night. i think there was a stint of autobiographies and historic fiction for my sophomore year

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

AnimeIsTrash posted:

She also managed to convince the department that we could read east of eden instead of 1984. Pretty cool teacher in hindsight.

cool teachers are great

also boy i cant imagine dealing with lovely teens. i remember one time i used "revoluting" when i meant "revolving" for some english thing (i remember being really proud for figuring out that a planet's motion is a revolution, something like that) & when my teacher corrected me i was a lovely teen and rolled my eyes and he was like hey im just trying to teach you man, lol

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc

gently caress, lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

forgot to say this made me laugh, a good post

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

my kids had to read Of Mice & Men but not Grapes o' Wrath

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

also boy i cant imagine dealing with lovely teens. i remember one time i used "revoluting" when i meant "revolving" for some english thing (i remember being really proud for figuring out that a planet's motion is a revolution, something like that) & when my teacher corrected me i was a lovely teen and rolled my eyes and he was like hey im just trying to teach you man, lol

:same:, and also young adults. Every now and then i'll talk with some of the younger coworkers in our department and go why don't these people listen to me?????

Then I remember that when I was much younger I didn't listen either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

AnimeIsTrash posted:

:same:, and also young adults. Every now and then i'll talk with some of the younger coworkers in our department and go why don't these people listen to me?????

Then I remember that when I was much younger I didn't listen either.

my sisters partner is finalizing his teaching degree, and i think he might do well. hes extremely good at language and history stuff, and hes still young enough to get kids i think

big change too, like 5-10 years ago he was kindof a dumbass re like gamergate & jordan peterson type poo poo but hes really grown up imo. tbh i was worried for a while but now im real into this guy teaching our youngins