Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
The previous films had special theater screenings, I don’t see this one being any different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They should release it straight to DVD, so I don't have to wait a year to watch it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

hiddenriverninja posted:

If you don't imagine the Sixth's smokescreen as a giant fart what are you doing in life

This is why you need to take a bath, Izuku.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The last movie did really well for an anime movie in the us box office. Mugen Train has blown everything out of the water though

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

christmas boots posted:

Gee I almost wonder if there's some kind of movie or something featuring those characters coming out

Yes I'm also disappointed in the movie

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Rhonne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4mAa8kORlk

Final trailer for the new movie. I know people are kind of upset at the movie because they seemingly rearranged the order of the anime in order to better tie into it, but I think the movie itself looks like it'll be dumb fun.

i'm all about Zoro's VA being the villain. hell yea

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I feel like it's almost pointless to be disappointed that new MHA material is going to be focused on Deku, Bakugo, and Todoroki. It literally always is.

It's like when people are disappointed when new Dragonball arcs prominently feature Goku and Vegeta.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kanos posted:

I feel like it's almost pointless to be disappointed that new MHA material is going to be focused on Deku, Bakugo, and Todoroki. It literally always is.

It's like when people are disappointed when new Dragonball arcs prominently feature Goku and Vegeta.

It's not because Vegeta and Goku are both fun and cool.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not because Vegeta and Goku are both fun and cool.

This is only 50% true and you know it

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Vengarr posted:

This is only 50% true and you know it

Which is the fun one and which is the cool one?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Goku is the fun one because he ultimately wants the same thing the viewer does: a cool-looking fight scene.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

todoroki is cool sometimes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly I blame the movie for the re order of events.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

todoroki is cool sometimes

Sometimes he's warm.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Mostly just tepid though.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I feel like the Demon Slayer movie has put too many expectations on movies based on Shonen properties.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I've been re-watching the series alongside a friend who just got exposed to it and has been binge-watching it. Came across this in one of the episodes:

From all the way back in Chapter 137 when Deku is tearing himself up with guilt about letting Eri go while Iida and Todoroki offer some support. Either extremely prescient or this latest chapter was a direct callback.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 23, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New vigilantes, but I'm on my phone so you'll need to go to the app or Box/mangaplus site.

Koichi gets another upgrade!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vigilantes 106

Number Six: Crawler Style

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, are we not getting a MHA chapter this week?

Also no new Vigilantes until the 13th after this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Vigilantes 106

koichi's quirk is ridiculous, at full power it's probably equivalent to captain celebrity's personalized force field, except he can also shoot it at people

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Larryb posted:

There's no WSJ this week I believe

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

All of Shonen Jump is on break this week.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Vigilantes 106

Number 6 is so pissed that he's resorting to copying Koichi. This rules. :allears:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Koichi's internal monologue when Number Six goes Crawler-style :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Oxxidation posted:

koichi's quirk is ridiculous, at full power it's probably equivalent to captain celebrity's personalized force field, except he can also shoot it at people

I actually like how it's been done. It's led to Koichi getting tons of bullshit powerups but none of them feel particularly out of nowhere or completely out of sync with the power's original stated parameters.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Koichi's mom is now officially a greater villain than All for One, having deprived Japan of a hero of this caliber.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kanos posted:

I actually like how it's been done. It's led to Koichi getting tons of bullshit powerups but none of them feel particularly out of nowhere or completely out of sync with the power's original stated parameters.

Yeah the story and characters work way better when all of Koichi's power ups are just kind of logical applications of his powers or like "He just never thought to try that before he got desperate"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

Vigilantes 106

This fight is better done and better paced than most of Deku's have been.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SKULL.GIF posted:

This fight is better done and better paced than most of Deku's have been.

Which is saying a lot because the wait between chapters is twice as long :v:

Slide and Glide is really cool, though. The powerups all track logically from one to another in a way I don't often see done this well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vinylshadow posted:

Vigilantes 106

I love Vigilantes

Also just realized the Todoroki Family drama the anime is about to cover is where we got Passive Aggressive Soba Slurping right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love Vigilantes

Also just realized the Todoroki Family drama the anime is about to cover is where we got Passive Aggressive Soba Slurping right?

No, I'm pretty sure that was in like, episode 2 of this season. It was right after Endeavor vs. the High-End.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

It was way earlier and sadly nowhere near as memetic as a still manga frame that you can linger on for a few extra moments to make it even funnier

Same thing with how the anime gave us a single frame of animation dedicated to Mt. Lady's ASSault compared to its panel focus in the manga when they barged in for interviews

One downside to animation, I suppose

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

hiddenriverninja posted:

I wonder if Koichi's next upgrade is going to be an instinctual forcefield type deal

nice, I called it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems there was a new anime episode this week after all, are we finally getting to the fireworks factory MVA next time or are they still dragging things out a bit more?

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Still one more episode of this arc left and then it’s finally time for MVA I think? But I have no clue at this point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crawler really has such a cool power set. It's distinctive and the powerups feel natural. It''s powerful without feeling utterly broken and does a good job of both giving him an underdog feeling while making it reasonable he can win too.

Dude is frankly better at being Anime Spider-Man than Deku is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think the main thing that helps is that his power is defensive, so it's less of a story-breaker than "I can hit as hard as Superman and I also have seven other superpowers that are also at Superman level".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think the main thing that helps is that his power is defensive, so it's less of a story-breaker than "I can hit as hard as Superman and I also have seven other superpowers that are also at Superman level".

To be fair several of Deku's powers are defensive or mostly defensive.

I think what makes Crawler work for me is that Deku's powers being basically a grab bag doesn't feel natural. They're not supposed to because he's a horrifying chimera of a quirk that effectively kills the user and takes their quirk, but it ends up feeling kinda disjointed. Like the comparisons between Deku and Spider-Man are fairly blunt. Super strength, swinging, high mobility, the ability to sense danger, etc. Spider-Man's powers all go together with the idea of "Spider abilities taken to their natural extension + psychic precognition for some reason" whereas Deku has a similar power set but it's just sort of Whatever The Plot Demanded.

One of the things I like most about MHA is the idea that characters have a specific gimmick and any new abilities or powers they get are an extension of that gimmick. Froppy has the powers of a frog and gets more powers of a frog, Bakugo has explosions and new ways to use those explosions, Mina has acid powers and just finds ways to adjust those powers, etc. Even the Wildly OP Motherfuckers tend to have very specific ideas behind them. All-Might was just really really really strong and learned how to use that strength to do things properly. Todoroki has two quirks because he's the result of a weird breeding scheme that left tragedy in its wake and even then it just amounts to "can do a lot of fire AND a lot of ice." Lemillion has a power that looks absurdly OP at first glance but amounts to "being able to exploit the physics bug in a game" and he just honed it to perfection. Everyone has a strong thematic connection between their various powers.

Deku worked well when his power was "I can be extremely strong but only if I put myself at risk" because that fit his personality to a T and really still does. Likewise the story thematically made this work because Deku would find ways to hurt himself less thanks to his friends and mentors. Even his current 90's Image Era Deku phase is a logical extension of that, being willing to utterly wreck himself mentally and physically to avoid causing trouble for others. But now Deku has that and also a random grab bag of powers that don't really mesh well with him and a good chunk of which he learned entirely offscreen.

I'm hoping it pans out in the end but I was rereading the recent chapters and realized I just don't care about Deku's powers because they don't feel connected to him as a character. It's hard not to compare it to MVA which handled the idea of absurd powerups way better. I even like All For One better because thematically the villain having the power of stealing and distorting powers for his own gain says something about his character in a way Blackwhip or Danger Sense don't really for Deku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

"Spider abilities taken to their natural extension + psychic precognition for some reason"
I always figured that was just to represent "trying to swat a spider and it jumps out of the way" without giving Pete extra eyes and covering his body with tiny hairs to for the purpose of perceiving micro-shifts in the environment (tremors, air pressure, etc.) Still on theme, anyway.