Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

bull3964 posted:

Same thing if you bring a gun through the security checkpoint. Automatic, on the spot, revocation of flying privileges and I'm not even sure if there should be an expiration date on that one or an appeals process. Lifetime ban seems suitable there. If you can't keep track of your gun to the point where you try to take it through the most restrictive civilian security, you don't get to fly ever again.

Ehh, beg to differ for first time offenders. A friend of mine's father had a brain fart and re-packed his range bag for a flight without taking his pistol out. Security spotted it, he missed his flight, got questioned, did some community service, end of story. Hell, I almost went through a checkpoint with two .308 rounds in my jacket pocket once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I know someone who lost a magazine under the false bottom of her purse. TSA (rightfully) assumed her husband had the matching gun, he was already on the plane, and it was a bit of a show when they dragged him back off in cuffs and emptied all the loaded luggage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Safety Dance posted:

Ehh, beg to differ for first time offenders. A friend of mine's father had a brain fart and re-packed his range bag for a flight without taking his pistol out. Security spotted it, he missed his flight, got questioned, did some community service, end of story. Hell, I almost went through a checkpoint with two .308 rounds in my jacket pocket once.

Nope. You will not convince me of this point. Deadly weapons should not be forgotten about and left in locations where they can be casually packed as luggage.

I would have a lot more to say, but I'm not going to derail this thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

you don't see the problem combining "firearm" and "brain fart?"

anyway i think it is fine to put people who throw shitfits about masks on the no-fly list. as noted, they are more deserving of being there than 90% of the people already on it. just driving your own car is a privilege, not a right; there's absolutely no reason to let someone get on a plane with 200 other people when they've demonstrated that they don't give a poo poo about basic safety rules.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 22, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Safety Dance posted:

I love how casual gun people are about gun safety **checks notes** dead comedy forums user Safety Dance.

Sagebrush posted:

MUH RIGHTS

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

MAAAH FREEDUMS

e.pilot posted:

MUH RIGHTS
:911:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 22, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm just saying, poo poo happens. From the point of view of mens rea, speeding through a school zone is worse than leaving a gun in your bag.

(I say, as a New Yorker who hasn't handled much less owned a gun in the last seven or eight years)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Platystemon posted:

The No Fly List is bad and ought not to exist in its present form.

So long as it does exist, these people are more deserving of being on it than nine of ten names presently entered there.

yea this is accurate

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

People are lazy and dumb as poo poo but mistakes happen. Even convicted murderers get out of jail after they serve their time and have the theoretical* ability to lead a normal life.
Assuming they're not rich and never went to jail in the first place

*=hardly a chance in hell

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Safety Dance posted:

I'm just saying, poo poo happens. From the point of view of mens rea, speeding through a school zone is worse than leaving a gun in your bag.

(I say, as a New Yorker who hasn't handled much less owned a gun in the last seven or eight years)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm reminded of when one of the guys from Penny Arcade borrowed his wife's hiking bag to travel with and got stopped at security so they could confiscate a knife he described as "sword-like in length".

(I really don't have any strong opinions on this argument since I make a point of knowing where my guns are at all times)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Good life advice: the bags where you keep your guns and/or drugs, if you use any of the above, should be kept separate from the bags you use when travelling. It's just a good failsafe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PT6A posted:

Good life advice: the bags where you keep your guns and/or drugs, if you use any of the above, should be kept separate from the bags you use when travelling. It's just a good failsafe.

Even if you never actually leave those particular goods in the bags, the chemical traces that either was once present can be an inconvenience.

You do not want dogs to alert to the scent of explosives or drugs.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Even if you never actually leave those particular goods in the bags, the chemical traces that either was once present can be an inconvenience.

You do not want dogs to alert to the scent of explosives or drugs.

This happened to me. Bag that I'd taken to the range was a last minute carry on for a flight and the machine picked up the gunpowder, which is pretty goddamned remarkable given how little there had to be. Anyway, I got some special attention.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

This happened to me. Bag that I'd taken to the range was a last minute carry on for a flight and the machine picked up the gunpowder, which is pretty goddamned remarkable given how little there had to be. Anyway, I got some special attention.

Ion mobility spectrometers are highly sensitive but dumb as poo poo; they're just looking for nitrate ions. Did it come from gunpowder? Fertilizer? Hot dogs? Who knows!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Still more reliable and objective than dogs though, lol

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Midjack posted:

Ion mobility spectrometers are highly sensitive but dumb as poo poo; they're just looking for nitrate ions. Did it come from gunpowder? Fertilizer? Hot dogs? Who knows!

I'll remember that the next time I travel after a day working the crops, blowing off some steam at the range, and throwing down a dog for dinner before my flight.

It's amazing to me how many gun owners still don't know how easy it is to take your gun with you on a flight, and by that I mean checking it. I've done it many times and it couldn't be easier. I've never been given a sideways look or had anything other than courteous, professional treatment when I say the magic words. Individual airlines might handle it a little differently from each other, but it's easy.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've had the TSA alert on my bag after swabbing it on a couple of occasions when going through security in uniform, and it made me feel very safe knowing that the TSA was making sure the guy in charge of an airplane carrying several tons of fuel didn't have access to anything dangerous.

Same thing when they got suspicious about my metal spork (which has a serrated edge), since there's a very sharp crash axe right behind my seat, but obviously I'm gonna hijack myself with a spork instead.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had a family member transporting valuables accidentally leave an expended ww1 bullet inside a little jewelry box. It was a family heirloom because it missed the guy but got his horse, or some story like that.🤦🏻‍♂️ no consequences besides it being taken away though.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The TSA has or had a weekly blog where they detailed items confiscated at checkpoints, including batarangs, dummy grenades, guns, dummy guns, knives, real grenades, dummy knives...

Check your luggage before the TSA gets a chance?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It's amazing to me how many gun owners still don't know how easy it is to take your gun with you on a flight, and by that I mean checking it. I've done it many times and it couldn't be easier. I've never been given a sideways look or had anything other than courteous, professional treatment when I say the magic words. Individual airlines might handle it a little differently from each other, but it's easy.

I did this once back in 2010. The Delta staff in Atlanta was super nice and professional, but one person in New Orleans had a mild freakout when I arrived at the airport for my return flight. She only calmed down (and, I assume, checked Delta policy) when I told her I had flown out of Atlanta like this.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

azflyboy posted:

I've had the TSA alert on my bag after swabbing it on a couple of occasions when going through security in uniform, and it made me feel very safe knowing that the TSA was making sure the guy in charge of an airplane carrying several tons of fuel didn't have access to anything dangerous.

Same thing when they got suspicious about my metal spork (which has a serrated edge), since there's a very sharp crash axe right behind my seat, but obviously I'm gonna hijack myself with a spork instead.

Now I'm imagining something like the scene in Blazing Saddles, where you hold the spork up to your throat and shout "nobody move, or the pilot gets it!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Now I'm imagining something like the scene in Blazing Saddles, where you hold the spork up to your throat and shout "nobody move, or the pilot gets it!"

Isn't anybody gonna help that poor man?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Charles posted:

I had a family member transporting valuables accidentally leave an expended ww1 bullet inside a little jewelry box. It was a family heirloom because it missed the guy but got his horse, or some story like that.🤦🏻‍♂️ no consequences besides it being taken away though.

Like...a fired bullet? Literally just a lump of a few grams of lead?

Why is that not allowed on a plane? Just because it's associated with guns? loving TSA morons

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

I did this once back in 2010. The Delta staff in Atlanta was super nice and professional, but one person in New Orleans had a mild freakout when I arrived at the airport for my return flight. She only calmed down (and, I assume, checked Delta policy) when I told her I had flown out of Atlanta like this.

Strange, for a previous job I flew around with a pelican case that I guess was a popular size for pistols and in the south when I turned up to the desk to check it about half the time they'd start the gun check in process before I told them it was a camera.

One time at MSP I had to get it at the baggage counter, I can only assume that someone thought the padlock had been cut. (Non TSA keyed padlock means gun and I guess rampers did on occasion steal them)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I read an article a bunch of years ago where a guy said that he always flew (domestic) with a gun just because it ensured his baggage would be treated carefully. Apparently there's hell to pay if the airline loses track of a bag containing a firearm.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

I read an article a bunch of years ago where a guy said that he always flew (domestic) with a gun just because it ensured his baggage would be treated carefully. Apparently there's hell to pay if the airline loses track of a bag containing a firearm.

My friend had a lens for his camera stolen on a flight. After that, he checked his gun in his camera case so that it could remain locked.

I was visiting said friend in Virginia and he warned me about the Norfolk Airport counter agents being weird about guns. I flew out of El Paso and the agent asked me to "show clear and empty" so I cycled the action and nobody batted an eye. At Norfolk, they took me allllll the way to the end of the counter behind a little privacy screen and said "please be very quiet, but I need to see that this thing is empty." Just terrified of the object.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I've hand carried space craft electronics through TSA security in a standard green pelican case.

"What's in the case?"

"Flight electronics for X space craft. Here is letter signed by the head of airport security, my corporation and a NASA admin saying it's alright. You can x-ray it and you can open the case and swab the ESD safe wrapping for your monitoring and that's it."

"Yes, I can wait here while you make calls."

It actually tends to go pretty smoothly. I have not but I do know people who have hand carried classified electronics on a commercial flight. No, TSA are not allowed to open the outer box much less the inner pelican case, x-ray it or anything else and there is a whole extra level of coordination that has to happen for those events.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sagebrush posted:

there's absolutely no way the hassle is worth the amount of care unless you are routinely flying with other valuables

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I flew to South America and back with an instrument I built for grad school to do soil salt makeup analysis. I brought it as carry-on in a small steel case to ensure that it wouldn't be damaged by handling. It looked exactly like someone would imagine a home made bomb would look like, and got to show it to show it to customs agents and security at each step of the journey. It was noted in my ticket details so that I could board the plane 20-30 minutes before everyone else so that I would have time to show it to security/customs/military depending on the airport. It was a lot of fun being that I love talking about my work and got to show them step by step how it functioned and what each part of it did, and how it could be used as an inexpensive way to test for safe drinking water in impoverished areas.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Murgos posted:

I've hand carried space craft electronics through TSA security in a standard green pelican case.

"What's in the case?"

"Flight electronics for X space craft. Here is letter signed by the head of airport security, my corporation and a NASA admin saying it's alright. You can x-ray it and you can open the case and swab the ESD safe wrapping for your monitoring and that's it."

It actually tends to go pretty smoothly. I have not but I do know people who have hand carried classified electronics on a commercial flight. No, TSA are not allowed to open the outer box much less the inner pelican case, x-ray it or anything else and there is a whole extra level of coordination that has to happen for those events.

Yeah I actually had 2 NASA scientists with me during the trip which certainly made it go more smoothly, and was completely open to them doing whatever they wanted to inspect it.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Sagebrush posted:

There is the 2013 version of Deviant Olam's talk about shipping guns with servers and laptops. There are other versions of this also recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqtYfaILHw

He did 3 updates in 2018 which might have been what you saw.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/05/basic-training-flying-firearms/
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/10/packing-friendly-skies-2/
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/12/zip-ties-packing-friendly-skies/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Murgos posted:

"What's in the case?"

I was on a TDY once and we had a case with some classified electronics and I think my courier letter said all TSA could do was xray it and we could not be required to open it.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
They let me onto a plane carrying a boxcutter and a bunch of screwdrivers several years ago and no one said anything

Maintenance is cheating I know

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 23, 2021

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
A company I worked for developed an access control demo kit. Silver briefcase, lots of circuit boards, red switches, some big card readers and an LED to display names. I was traveling with a sales guy and he had that as a carry-on. And with the sales person being Hispanic, that got a lot of uniforms gathered quickly. Thankfully I had done some presentations for that airport and their head of security was able to vouch for me. And I vouched for my coworker. Combined with the emails he had about the presentation we'd be giving, a call to our CEO and thrusting the thing in a dog's face they eventually let us go.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sagebrush posted:

Like...a fired bullet? Literally just a lump of a few grams of lead?

Why is that not allowed on a plane? Just because it's associated with guns? loving TSA morons

You'd also have the same problem trying to take it into say Canada.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kesper North posted:

You'd also have the same problem trying to take it into say Canada.

If they see a shell casing in your car they will tear it apart looking for the gun that fired it! I have watched this happen several times on the Border Security show :haw:

I flew from Vegas one time with some souvenir shell casings from firing machineguns and the TSA were totally fine with those.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I, and everyone else I know, just ships firearms rather than drive them through Canada. The Canadian border agents get really squirrelly with reloading equipment or anything firearm related but everyone has had good luck so far just saying “I’m not stupid, I shipped everything restricted in Canada”.

Pro tip: you can mail yourself a gun within the same state. This comes in very handy for Alaska to Alaska (which can require a drive through Canada) or a few similar places in the lower 48. It will require a delivery signature; this can be C/O someone but only you can open the package.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Midjack posted:

A lot of drink powders will make them flip the gently caress out too

e:
I’ve taken a folding bike through TSA on numerous occasions, you don’t know how tempting it is to put it together and ride through the terminal

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

e.pilot posted:

e:
I’ve taken a folding bike through TSA on numerous occasions, you don’t know how tempting it is to put it together and ride through the terminal

It's not posted anywhere that you're not allowed to! :v:

*next week* Oh wow you guys were able to get those "no biking" signs made, like, super fast.