Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm a classic user. PowerAmp on android, Winamp on PC (v5.8).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Speaking of PowerAmp, I've been having an odd issue with volume. When I connect to my car, it'll start playing for about a second then the volume will decrease requiring me to turn up my volume. Never had this issue till I want to say I moved to my 4XL. It only does this with PowerAmp and no other apps (i.e. Pocketcast). I'm not sure what's going on, I've looked at the options and see nothing that comes to mind.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

calandryll posted:

Speaking of PowerAmp, I've been having an odd issue with volume. When I connect to my car, it'll start playing for about a second then the volume will decrease requiring me to turn up my volume. Never had this issue till I want to say I moved to my 4XL. It only does this with PowerAmp and no other apps (i.e. Pocketcast). I'm not sure what's going on, I've looked at the options and see nothing that comes to mind.

I had an issue similar to this, so I used Vollynx to lock my volume. I'm sure there's a newer app for volume locking, but that's the one I use

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Does pocket casts let you do multiple playlists?
I know it has the up next, but I'd really like to set up a separate playlist for each podcast.

Some of them have a huge backlog I want to get through, but not all at once ya know.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't think it really works with playlists?

In your case, you can view the one show and sort by date and then archive and/or mark as played as you go. I don't see a specific way of auto playing, but you can use the Up Next function...

There are also filters and you can set up a filter for one show, sort by date, and hit "play all". That should auto play.

I also have mine set up to automatically mark as played and archive as an episode ends, so those are removed from whatever list.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yea, I'm aware of all those.

The main reason I'm asking is that I'm about to go on a 30hr drive. I want to have playlist A for my murder mystery podcast. Playlist B for my comedy podcast. Playlist C for my current events.

That way I can switch between them easily while driving when I get in a different mood. Using up next for that is pretty cumbersome while driving, and also easy to lose track of where I'm at in a series.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Okay. I don't see a way, sorry.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wouldn't it just work to make filters that are Murder, unplayed, oldest to newest and then Comedy, unplayed, oldest to newest, etc. then just start playback via the filter's "playback all"?

When you want to change to a different one select the same option on a different filter and I'd expect it to clear the Up Next queue and replace it with the new one but test that first and if it doesn't simply clear the queue before selecting the next filter.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

eSporks posted:

The main reason I'm asking is that I'm about to go on a 30hr drive. I want to have playlist A for my murder mystery podcast. Playlist B for my comedy podcast. Playlist C for my current events.

That way I can switch between them easily while driving when I get in a different mood. Using up next for that is pretty cumbersome while driving, and also easy to lose track of where I'm at in a series.

Maybe use secure folder and reinstall your podcast app, that gives you two discreet installs/lists.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone having issues with the Chat app not pushing messages through until you actually open the app?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

eSporks posted:

Filters should do exactly this unless I'm missing something. Pocketcasts always remembers where you are in an individual show and if your filters are set to exclude played shows then you can jump between them without losing your place.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Are there any good Facebook / messenger open source alternatives?

Some cursory googling has a few suggestions on the f-droid store, which is the first I've heard of it but looks right up my alley. Anyone have experience with it?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Can't promise anything about Facebook clients on it, but the f-droid store is legit and I love rummaging through it for things I might need. Got a number of utilitarian apps from there that serve me well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just noticed that all of a sudden the alarm clock icon never leaves my status bar on my Pixel 3A. Even though I don't have an alarm set. This is really messing me up because it will have me thinking my alarm is set for work the next day and it's not.

Apparently (after Googling this issue) this is because some of my reminder apps or calendar apps having something set for tomorrow will cause the alarm clock to show up in the status bar, which is ridiculous because I have reminders set for every single day for the rest of my life for certain things like piano practice and stuff like that.

Is there any way to make it so other apps can't take control of the status bar alarm clock icon? I only want it showing up if I have an alarm set.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone having issues with the Chat app not pushing messages through until you actually open the app?

Yes. Also, it turned mobile notifications off in settings by itself. But I'm still mostly not getting notifications even after turning it back on. I do get some, which is even more frustrating than none at all, since obviously it SHOULD be working with my current settings.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Is everyone still recommending fennec?

I happily used waterfox until it quit being updated a few years ago, and switched to firefox and then the nightly build. With every update, it feels like my browser is getting more restrictive and less customizable. The difference between the old waterfox mobile browser (which was basically the same as the desktop browser, with full extension support) and the modern firefox browser is depressing.

Im sure this is due to security issues or something, but firefox at least, is starting to feel pretty walled-gardeny. You can't even access about:config anymore unless you are using the nightly build or fennec.

Is chrome better now? Maybe one of the chrome forks?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Digital Prophet posted:

I happily used waterfox until it quit being updated a few years ago, and switched to firefox and then the nightly build. With every update, it feels like my browser is getting more restrictive and less customizable. The difference between the old waterfox mobile browser (which was basically the same as the desktop browser, with full extension support) and the modern firefox browser is depressing.

Im sure this is due to security issues or something, but firefox at least, is starting to feel pretty walled-gardeny. You can't even access about :config anymore unless you are using the nightly build or fennec.

I'm using the beta channel of Firefox and could reach about :config just fine.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Digital Prophet posted:

Im sure this is due to security issues or something, but firefox at least, is starting to feel pretty walled-gardeny. You can't even access about :config anymore unless you are using the nightly build or fennec.

If you're the kind of guy that would use waterfox, and want to check out a chromium fork, bromite is really good.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Yes. Also, it turned mobile notifications off in settings by itself. But I'm still mostly not getting notifications even after turning it back on. I do get some, which is even more frustrating than none at all, since obviously it SHOULD be working with my current settings.

Google is such a piece of poo poo with messaging, I don't even know why I use it anymore, I only talk to like 3 people on it, everyone else has moved onto something else.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

FogHelmut posted:

Google is such a piece of poo poo with messaging, I don't even know why I use it anymore, I only talk to like 3 people on it, everyone else has moved onto something else.

Did you move to Youtube chat? Or maps chat?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

hot date tonight! posted:

If you're the kind of guy that would use waterfox, and want to check out a chromium fork, bromite is really good.

I'm a weirdo that likes to use Edge (and Firefox because of sync) on android.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

deong posted:

Did you move to Youtube chat? Or maps chat?

Photos chat actually

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Im looking for a Walking/Trekking/GPS Mapping app thats preferably free, (or if its pay not some app that will disappear soon or at least has exportable maps in a common format) that I can use to map a long term on and off walk.

Basically i want to walk all the streets in my town, alleyways and lanes and such as well, but it builds upon a constant walk map, rather than a different map each walk I have to somehow overlay and add together.

If that makes sense?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
When I did that I just used Strava. I recorded each individual walk as normal and then used a pro trial to create a heatmap.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Robin Williams posted:

Im looking for a Walking/Trekking/GPS Mapping app thats preferably free, ...

The Outdoor Apps thread might be able to help

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Robin Williams posted:

Im looking for a Walking/Trekking/GPS Mapping app thats preferably free, (or if its pay not some app that will disappear soon or at least has exportable maps in a common format) that I can use to map a long term on and off walk.

Basically i want to walk all the streets in my town, alleyways and lanes and such as well, but it builds upon a constant walk map, rather than a different map each walk I have to somehow overlay and add together.

If that makes sense?

I use USGS Topo maps. I've tried a ton of apps and its the best for actual trekking.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Uh-oh. Pocket casts has been bought by Automattic. Hopefully us lifetime subs continue to, well, get lifetime subs. The whole NPR thing years ago took it away, then it was restored after lots of bitching. Can only assume it's on the chopping block again. If so, I'm out. Waaaaay too many monthly "couple bucks" $IV drips being paid out. Uncle!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hotsauce posted:

Uh-oh. Pocket casts has been bought by Automattic. Hopefully us lifetime subs continue to, well, get lifetime subs. The whole NPR thing years ago took it away, then it was restored after lots of bitching. Can only assume it's on the chopping block again. If so, I'm out. Waaaaay too many monthly "couple bucks" $IV drips being paid out. Uncle!

Podcast Addict awaits you friend

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I wanted something that will automatically sync part of my huge pile of mp3s to my phone, and MediaMonkey is surprisingly good. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop where it does something terrible, but so far I bought the $5 upgraded version and it works exactly like I want. Even converts from FLAC to mp3 for you which is pretty slick.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Whatsapp is now offering a beta version where, if you also use the web or windows version, you don't need to have your phone connected to your PC anymore to be able to use it:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/07/22/everything-you-need-to-know-about-whatsapps-new-multi-device-support/

Tried it and it's working well so far, just the same as before basically but without the (sometimes annoying) requirement.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google Podcasts works great too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Google Podcasts does work great.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google Podcasts also works in-browser which is nice if you're a white collar workin' man who likes his podcasts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I use it on occasion on the desktop, but am hesitant to use it full time after a) how bad it was when it was integrated with Google Play Music, making me turn to PocketCasts in the first place and b) I have no confidence that they won't replace it with YouTube Podcasts and make you buy a subscription to listen with the screen turned off.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

In the middle of upgrading from my old Pixel XL to a new Pixel 4a5g, what's the current go-to for blocking ads? I was using Blokada on the XL.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ElegantFugue posted:

In the middle of upgrading from my old Pixel XL to a new Pixel 4a5g, what's the current go-to for blocking ads? I was using Blokada on the XL.

I've been using nextdns.io. You'll likely hit the cap for the free service, but it's only $20 a year after that for free use. Plus you can point your home network at their DNS server as well.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ElegantFugue posted:

I don't have a ton of issues with ads using Firefox Focus as my default browser and FF with uBlock Origin for stuff I want to throw tabs back and forth with. I ended up getting tired of fighting to keep Blockada in memory and haven't really noticed the difference.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ElegantFugue posted:

I just use Mullvads adblocking DNS now. It's free regardless of whether you use their main VPN product.

https://mullvad.net/en/help/dns-over-https-and-dns-over-tls/

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

hooah posted:

I've been using nextdns.io. You'll likely hit the cap for the free service, but it's only $20 a year after that for free use. Plus you can point your home network at their DNS server as well.

This looks interesting but I know little about DNS, can you explain what this offers that something a free service like quad9 does not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Incessant Excess posted:

This looks interesting but I know little about DNS, can you explain what this offers that something a free service like quad9 does not?

The main difference is filtering. I don't know about quad 9, but e.g. Google's DNS service and the other big free one (Clodflare? Cisco?) are strictly alternative resolves. With NextDNS you can choose some base filters that cause ad domains to not get resolved to IP addresses, and you can customize the filter with individual domains as well.