Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
How does that work exactly? All 3 of those products say they use Kontakt Player. Does the registration process give you a serial number you can use for the upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Discussion Quorum posted:

How does that work exactly? All 3 of those products say they use Kontakt Player. Does the registration process give you a serial number you can use for the upgrade?

Basically yes - when you get one of those libraries, you get a serial number for the product which you add into NI's Native Access (their download manager). NI then see's this an opportunity to get you to buy (cross-grade) to the full Kontakt - after all, you've bought in to Kontakt Player libraries, so why not give you an incentive to get the full Kontakt so you can buy those libraries that need the full product that no doubt you've noticed, since you've been buying libraries.
(You see it in the upgrade offers on the NI website when you're logged in)

The fact that these ones are free is apparently irrelevant.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
:eyepop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
how do i get the vst version of iris 2? i know it exists because i remember playing with it in reaper on my old computer, and i still own the same license for it i used last time, but i cannot for the life of me figure out how anything in this izotope ecosystem works rn.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I think I downloaded it via the Izotope Product Portal software. I really like Iris 2, wish they were still making that kind of thing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Black Rooster and Fuse Audio Labs are both running big sales right now. Many (at this point, most still) of the plugins currently in the BR collection were coded by the Reimund Dratwa, same guy that does Fuse Audio Labs plugins (though their partnership has seemingly eroded considerably in recent years and more and more plugins from Black Rooster do not feature his DSP - though they are still excellent, I love the RO-140 reverb released this year and Reimund was not involved in that). Fuse has a free Baxandall EQ plugin and a recently released free spring reverb plugin, definitely check those out as they're super useful.

From Fuse I can highly recommend the VCL-4 plugin and the F-59 plugin as tools I have loved using this year, as well as their Virtual Pedal Board Bundle.

As far as Black Rooster goes, I got the Complete Pack earlier this year (but you should know, those come around seasonally and there is no upgrade pricing to go from owning the complete pack to owning new plugins - the usual refrain being, they're already affordable, and indeed sales routinely put their price at $29 a plugin individually). From this sale I just got the KH-EQ1 and I'm already liking it, and I have used their VPRE-73 all over the place, used their compressors a lot too. And as mentioned above I really like the RO-140. Honestly, it's so many plugins, and I use them when I need that kind of thing - I'm still getting to know a lot of them! While VST3 is clearly not a priority yet (all plugins still coded on VST 2.4 standard, so you get a 32-bit and a 64-bit VST but not VST3), sounding real good sure is a priority. Worth noting, Fuse Audio Labs totally offers VST3 plugins if that matters to you - I don't think it's at a point of hard forking who can use the stuff in any practical way yet but hopefully Black Rooster gets on board with the newer standard before too long.

I am gonna pick up one of the Fuse vari-mu limiter plugins on this sale for sure, but I haven't yet decided between the VCL-515 or the VCL-25A. They both do really cool things.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 26, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone have thoughts on the iZotope Music Production Suite? Debating grabbing it during this sale for $200. I already have Ozone 8 Advanced (which would get upgraded to 9 Advanced) and Nectar 3 (which would upgrade to 3 Plus), so the primary draws for me are Vocal Synth 2 and RX 8 Standard (the rest are nice to have but probably not things I'd buy on their own outside of the bundle). One big draw of RX Standard is Music Rebalance, but from what I gather, Spleeter can do almost as good of a job for free (sounds like RX's algorithm is based on Spleeter, though I guess RX gives more control?). Any thoughts on the value @ $200, and any other plugins in the bundle to get excited about? Also just noticed Vocal Synth is on sale for $50 on it's own, so maybe I'll just go that route for now.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

RX is great if you do stuff that RX is used for. that might sound like a condescending statement but if you don’t need a suite of audio repair tools there’s no point in getting it. vocalsynth does own however.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there a way to share your desktop and remotely collaborate on a project in a DAW? Closest I’ve found is screen share with audio on Zoom but I can’t get the audio to play through my headphones real time AND be shared through zoom. I’ve tried hacky workarounds but they always result in a delay, which is a real problem for music…

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Moogs posted:

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there a way to share your desktop and remotely collaborate on a project in a DAW? Closest I’ve found is screen share with audio on Zoom but I can’t get the audio to play through my headphones real time AND be shared through zoom. I’ve tried hacky workarounds but they always result in a delay, which is a real problem for music…

Steinberg makes something called VST Connect which seems to do this:

https://new.steinberg.net/vst-connect/

It looks like it comes with Cubase Pro but can also be bought separately. I haven't tried it -- somebody recommended looking into it during the pandemic and we never got around to it -- but there appears to be a free trial.

Edit: I haven't tried, not I have tried it.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 27, 2021

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

OBS can output to a virtual webcam

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

McCoy Pauley posted:

Steinberg makes something called VST Connect which seems to do this:

https://new.steinberg.net/vst-connect/

It looks like it comes with Cubase Pro but can also be bought separately. I haven't tried it -- somebody recommended looking into it during the pandemic and we never got around to it -- but there appears to be a free trial.

Edit: I haven't tried, not I have tried it.

Ruffian Price posted:

OBS can output to a virtual webcam

Appreciate the thoughts. Unfortunately I don't use Cubase but I think OBS is the solution. There's a couple second delay on the stream, but I'm able to hear what I'm doing real time which makes rhythm possible.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
IK Multimedia are doing 70% off on many of their SE products until 7th July.

Of particular note is modo bass and drum, the SE versions only €39.

Full modo bass is just €99 too.

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 3, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I own a bass and I play it quite well and I still use modo bass on almost every song. It's a very good plugin.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
BreakTweaker Expanded and Iris are back on sale for ten beans each.

https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/loyalty-deals.html?&deliveryName=iZo07.06.2021July%2BFlash%2BSale_Bump%2B1_PO%2BROLDM

Vocalsynth is $49 also.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Iris is definitely worth it. How is Breaktweaker? I think I got it free or in a bundle a while back and haven't gotten into it yet.

Incidentally, Cherry Audio is running a sale on their synths for $29 per, and the PS-20 has become an instant go-to for me now. It's fantastic for a trashy punk sound.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Breaktweaker is interesting and good at what it does (rhythmic chopping and slicing effects, interesting performance tool) but kind of limiting at the same time due to a lack of swing (you can work around it, but) and only six triggers. However the sounds alone are worth the sale price and you might find yourself liking what it can do too. I have enjoyed using it.

I love Iris 2!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 7, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i bought breaktweaker in 2016 and i think i’ve used it on three songs since. it’s powerful i suppose but it really sucks to use imo

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I guess they had to do it the way they did in order to let it do all the weird slicing and chopping stuff that it does, but making it so that you have to perform the whole part in internally sequenced, midi-triggered increments ends up being an impediment to my workflow compared to just being able to interact w/ the MIDI directly, and not something I've been inclined to work around myself for the most part. Especially since working inside of it means losing easy swing, restricted to only six triggers and all that. But the sound library has been useful outside of the program for me, and I do think I'll end up using it for the weird slicing and chopping stuff that it does before it's said and done too.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, Little Alter Boy is on sale too.

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/little-alterboy/

This is my favorite janky formant pitch shifter. It's the one I used all over this track.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 7, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh hey, Little Alter Boy is on sale too.

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/little-alterboy/

This is my favorite janky formant pitch shifter. It's the one I used all over this track.

I use this a lot less than I thought I would but it's good at what it does

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I learned a valuable lesson yesterday: make backups of my vst folders off of my Windows drive.

My OS got hosed up and it took about 4 hours getting everything reinstalled and authorized. At least I kept my revisions on a separate drive.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Turns out my OS got hosed up because I tried installing a SONiVOX product, which installed an older, conflicting version of PACE on my computer that bricks Win10 PCs. I've installed plenty of their stuff before which worked just fine, but I guess I took one too many spins and finally got the bullet.

I tested this by creating a restore point and reinstalling Big Bang Universal drums, their quite nice sounding and cheap in a bundle drum kit, which bricked my PC. This is weird as hell as I've used UBB for the drums on my past two albums with no issues, but oh well.

That means I need a new sample based midi drum kit plugin. I can make do with Kontakt, but I would prefer plain ol' VST. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Here is some music I make for reference: https://soundcloud.com/michaelnixmusic

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

Does anybody have a VST suggestion that'd make sounds similar to an album I dig -- Wink With Both Eyes by Blanche Blanche Blanche: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQGdu9dO1iU?

The album is a little out there, and I'm pretty sure all they're using is, like, an old and/or broken Casio keyboard, and possibly a drum machine, but I am a sucker for the bleeps/blorps and the other goofy sounds, and I don't have access to anything that can make them right now.

Is there a VST I could check out that can reproduce a similar sound?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

You're gonna need a synth. Those sounds could probably be made with almost any decent synth. Try Vital for free, see if you can mess with some basic analog style oscillators and filters, adjust the ADSR envelope to be quick attack and release.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 23, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

veepfake posted:

Does anybody have a VST suggestion that'd make sounds similar to an album I dig -- Wink With Both Eyes by Blanche Blanche Blanche: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQGdu9dO1iU?

The album is a little out there, and I'm pretty sure all they're using is, like, an old and/or broken Casio keyboard, and possibly a drum machine, but I am a sucker for the bleeps/blorps and the other goofy sounds, and I don't have access to anything that can make them right now.

Is there a VST I could check out that can reproduce a similar sound?

And if you need any old and/or broken Casio keyboards, hit me up.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

OutOfPrint posted:

I tested this by creating a restore point and reinstalling Big Bang Universal drums, their quite nice sounding and cheap in a bundle drum kit, which bricked my PC. This is weird as hell as I've used UBB for the drums on my past two albums with no issues, but oh well.

That means I need a new sample based midi drum kit plugin. I can make do with Kontakt, but I would prefer plain ol' VST. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Since you mentioned Kontakt- do you have any of the Abbey Road Drummer instruments? (Most of them are only included in their Ultimate and Collectors Edition bundles.) They are similar to that BBU plugin and I've used them several times in tracks. The fact that it's Kontakt might mean you need to mess with Kontakt's output routing, which isn't always pleasant, but the kits are good.

But as for a standalone VST that's meant to reproduce a real kit, I've used EZDrummer 2 several times and have found it pretty useful. It works best if you use their patterns, as not all articulations are directly available from MIDI, but the kits sound good and offer a fair amount of mixing/production flexibility (similar to the Abbey Road instruments) without the additional layer of complexity that sometimes comes with Kontakt.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
MODO Drum by IK Multimedia is very good. Currently on sale, and the voucher MODO50 may still work too, knocking a further €50 off.
It uses physical modelling for the drums rather than samples (cymbals are sampled) - but this is a good thing! It sounds great and it's tweakable to the point of absurdity

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Slate Drums 5.5 is my go to for "real" drums.
I like the kits that come with Komplete such as Session Drummer but as another poster mentioned, Kontakt routing can be horrid.
Midi Mapping in SSD is pretty unorthodox but after spending that initial time sorting out my Cubase drum map I have no problems with it

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Are those Bogren IRs or whatever worth it? I barely know what they are, but I was reading a lot of people say they liked using them with Gojira. Or is tweaking the microphone settings in Gojira pretty much just as good as an IR?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I keep trying to get into IRs but I still end up preferring spending that extra little bit of time messing with virtual mics

Any IR pack I've had I've found 2 or 3 great ones, and a whole pile of stuff I don't like, whereas with Gojira, or the rest of the Neural range, all the cabs work with very little faff (for me)

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Radiapathy posted:

But as for a standalone VST that's meant to reproduce a real kit, I've used EZDrummer 2...
Bruh, Facebook started serving me EZDrummer ads immediately after I made that post. Very much love how they're always trying to sell me products I already own.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

Agreed posted:

You're gonna need a synth. Those sounds could probably be made with almost any decent synth. Try Vital for free, see if you can mess with some basic analog style oscillators and filters, adjust the ADSR envelope to be quick attack and release.

petit choux posted:

And if you need any old and/or broken Casio keyboards, hit me up.

thanks for the help guys

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

veepfake posted:

thanks for the help guys

No, seriously, you can get a bunch of good free synths that could do some approximation of that. I'd try a moog emulator maybe.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

NonzeroCircle posted:

Slate Drums 5.5 is my go to for "real" drums.
I like the kits that come with Komplete such as Session Drummer but as another poster mentioned, Kontakt routing can be horrid.
Midi Mapping in SSD is pretty unorthodox but after spending that initial time sorting out my Cubase drum map I have no problems with it

I think this is going to be the one for me. I don't need that level of control over mic placements, but I can't say no to that.

Ironically, I got my old drum vst working, but I'm still going to get SSD so I don't nuke my computer again. drat good thing I have a separate drive for recording.

As for synthesizer sounds, hahaha welcome down the rabbit hole, we're all mad here.

Vital is still the top tier free synth, but take a look through these. Vital doesn't come with presets, and if you're new to synthesizers, it can be daunting. Starting with something with presets is probably your best bet.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Is there a Hammond B3 VST/sample library anybody here can vouch for?

Don't need onboard effects or even a good Leslie - have all that covered already. Mainly hoping to use it for soul jazz, reggae, etc. but also the occasional rock/pop track when necessary (cf. those albums Felt did what have organ on them). Would like to be able to adjust drawbars myself, enable/disable percussion etc.

Have been using the AIR one which was free with Pro Tools but use it often enough I feel like I oughta invest in something higher quality. On windows and have kontakt. Modelling stuff absolutely ok but have an impression sample based will be best for this. Also not averse to more general organ collections and could always go for a Vox Continental, Farfisa, even a Solina, if those were also included, but if something's gonna take up 50gb of disk space it's a no go.

Would really appreciate any experiences or advice! Currently eyeing the Sound Dust one...

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

OutOfPrint posted:

I think this is going to be the one for me. I don't need that level of control over mic placements, but I can't say no to that.

Ironically, I got my old drum vst working, but I'm still going to get SSD so I don't nuke my computer again. drat good thing I have a separate drive for recording.

As for synthesizer sounds, hahaha welcome down the rabbit hole, we're all mad here.

Vital is still the top tier free synth, but take a look through these. Vital doesn't come with presets, and if you're new to synthesizers, it can be daunting. Starting with something with presets is probably your best bet.

What I do like about SSD is that as long as you are happy with it's general 'sound' (ie pretty shiny and geared towards rock/metal), it's super usable without needing to mess about with any of the multi outs at all. Just load it and maybe mess with the onboard mixer a little

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

petit choux posted:

No, seriously, you can get a bunch of good free synths that could do some approximation of that. I'd try a moog emulator maybe.

messed around a bit with one this morning, sounds like i have a lot of things to learn before i'll get a sound i like haha. ah, the creative process

OutOfPrint posted:

this is a sweet resource, thanks for sharing!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

free Trapt CD posted:

Don't need onboard effects or even a good Leslie - have all that covered already. Mainly hoping to use it for soul jazz, reggae, etc. but also the occasional rock/pop track when necessary (cf. those albums Felt did what have organ on them). Would like to be able to adjust drawbars myself, enable/disable percussion etc.

Have been using the AIR one which was free with Pro Tools but use it often enough I feel like I oughta invest in something higher quality. On windows and have kontakt. Modelling stuff absolutely ok but have an impression sample based will be best for this. Also not averse to more general organ collections and could always go for a Vox Continental, Farfisa, even a Solina, if those were also included, but if something's gonna take up 50gb of disk space it's a no go.

Would really appreciate any experiences or advice! Currently eyeing the Sound Dust one...

For free, HaNon B70 and Collab3 are good.

For Farfisa and Vox Continental freebies, Combo Model F and Combo Model V are great. They may not be 100% authentic, but they sound good and are free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

free Trapt CD posted:

Can't vouch for one from experience but the IK Multimedia one is the "official" one supported by Hammond (Suzuki). $300 though... could almost pick up a Reface YC for that much.

I found this video while looking for Rhodes/Wurli comparisons and I think it's one of the better shootouts. This guy is marketing his own plugin, but his blog has what appears to be a fair feature checklist and pros/cons of the various competitors. He did the same for Rhodes and Wurlitzers too.

Speaking of shopping for Rhodes plugins... I really like the Waves 88 (I have Velvet but it doesn't quite sound real to me), and it's basically always on sale for $30, and another $30 gets me some amps and effects to play with. But can someone explain how to figure out what the "Waves Update Plan" costs?

I can find a lot of discussions online complaining about how it is a "scam" even though it's obvious they use their sales as from gateway to their razors-and-blades business model. However, even Waves themselves are cagey about what the cost is. They just say it "depends on the plugins you have," which, ok... is it a flat rate per plugin, formula based on price, or what?

Is that what the "$19 value" represents below - $19/year for updates and multi-computer on these 2 plugins? That's fine, I just want to be sure I'm not stumbling into an expensive trap.