Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

STR posted:

FWIW, it's been a few days now, and her car still fires right up. The smell inside the car is still enough to induce :barf:, but that's not the fault of the battery.

you cant drop this and not explain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Darchangel posted:

Left handed lug nuts were an incredibly stupid idea that serves no purpose.
I know Dodge liked them in the ‘60s, too.

I was under the impression that until lugs were made rounded, with tons of surface area, left-side lugs on vehicles _had_ to be left-hand-thread, to keep the torque of the wheel from backing off the lugs, just like the left pedal (or right BB cup) on a bike. obviously rounded lugs have been around since before the 60s but perhaps it was a vestigial habit?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

As far as I was able to research it was engineers just doing what they always had without thinking if it was needed.

In related mechanical failures my project car is a year too old to have seat belts mandated so it didn’t have them from the factory. So in 1963 someone was buying a personal luxury land barge and didn’t think seat belts were worth it.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 22, 2021

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Combat Theory posted:

Related question: most batteries sold in Germany nowadays are fully sealed. Anyone knows what happens when you recondition one of these? I never saw a warning about that on the charger or the battery but I'm still refraining from it. In my mind it'll build up gas pressure in the case and blow something.

Maintenance-free and sealed batteries have vent valves to release pressure. There will be a hole in the top of the case, usually pointed sideways.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

The back fell off.

That’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rigged Death Trap posted:

you cant drop this and not explain

Dogs.

She was homeless and living in the car for a bit last summer, with two dogs. Two dogs badly in need of a bath. In a black SUV.

I tried to move the car after it'd been sitting in the sun all day, and immediately puked when I opened the door. You can smell the inside just walking past it. It's... bad. I've washed the clothes I wore last time I moved it several times, I think I finally got the smell out...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Advent Horizon posted:

The back fell off.

Its so odd to me to see a 60 series with gutters that you cant see sunlight through and rockers you can. They rust out the other way around here in Aus!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

Dogs.

She was homeless and living in the car for a bit last summer, with two dogs. Two dogs badly in need of a bath. In a black SUV.

I tried to move the car after it'd been sitting in the sun all day, and immediately puked when I opened the door. You can smell the inside just walking past it. It's... bad. I've washed the clothes I wore last time I moved it several times, I think I finally got the smell out...
Sounds like a case for an ozone generator

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

No horrible failure yet, thankfully.

I have to maintain some hundred-gallon steam kettles that have been performing very poorly. The jackets won't hold vacuum, the relief valves keep popping off every day, they're really slow to heat, etc. The typical workflow is: add product, turn on. Wait until product boils, turn off, drain. ~1hr later, repeat. Sometimes during the "wait" stage, the relief valve lifts. This indicates to the operators that they've maybe left it too long and overboiled the product.

I take one apart and find that it's been filled with tap water daily and not bled. The sending tubes are solidly blocked with black sludge. The electric safety pressure switch has been fully bypassed. The thermostat has two settings: on and off. The wiring doesn't match the diagram at all; the elements should be wired in a delta configuration and they're wired with "first come, first serve" wiring.

The best part is that the relief valve that's installed is 50psi, and the stamped "safe working pressure" of the vessel is 30psi.

So apparently we've been running these kettles to 170% of working pressure then letting cool to ambient maybe five times a day for a few years now, without doing anything at all to maintain boiler chemistry. Thankfully, it appears as though the pressure vessel has been gently compromised. I explained it to the boss as "this thing is so broken that it can no longer catastrophically fail."

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 23, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

Sounds like a case for an ozone generator

TBH her car needs a bit of gas and a match - it's completely falling apart and on its deathbed.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Worked at a food processing plant that used steam to heat and moisturize product, one of our lines ended up completely unable to get any steam pressure at all, so we call in the boiler guys and the water trap for the steam lines was plugged completely full of rust. Turns out our water softeners were bypassing all of the incoming water and not actually softening anything.

Last I knew before I left was management didn't want to put in any steam line monitoring equipment because he had already spent so much repairing the steam lines.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Advent Horizon posted:

The back fell off.

Is that better or worse than the front falling off?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

No horrible failure yet, thankfully.

I have to maintain some hundred-gallon steam kettles that have been performing very poorly. The jackets won't hold vacuum, the relief valves keep popping off every day, they're really slow to heat, etc. The typical workflow is: add product, turn on. Wait until product boils, turn off, drain. ~1hr later, repeat. Sometimes during the "wait" stage, the relief valve lifts. This indicates to the operators that they've maybe left it too long and overboiled the product.

I take one apart and find that it's been filled with tap water daily and not bled. The sending tubes are solidly blocked with black sludge. The electric safety pressure switch has been fully bypassed. The thermostat has two settings: on and off. The wiring doesn't match the diagram at all; the elements should be wired in a delta configuration and they're wired with "first come, first serve" wiring.

The best part is that the relief valve that's installed is 50psi, and the stamped "safe working pressure" of the vessel is 30psi.

So apparently we've been running these kettles to 170% of working pressure then letting cool to ambient maybe five times a day for a few years now, without doing anything at all to maintain boiler chemistry. Thankfully, it appears as though the pressure vessel has been gently compromised. I explained it to the boss as "this thing is so broken that it can no longer catastrophically fail."

That’s an amazing sequence of ham fisted fuckery.
And “gently compromised” is my new favorite phrase. It reminds me of the forum’s substitution for “hosed” when one isn’t logged in.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Worked at a food processing plant that used steam to heat and moisturize product, one of our lines ended up completely unable to get any steam pressure at all, so we call in the boiler guys and the water trap for the steam lines was plugged completely full of rust. Turns out our water softeners were bypassing all of the incoming water and not actually softening anything.

Last I knew before I left was management didn't want to put in any steam line monitoring equipment because he had already spent so much repairing the steam lines.

Sounds like management all right.
“I can’t spend more money so I don’t spend more money because I spent money.”

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
As a real life boiler inspector, please let me emphasize that you should not, ever, no matter what, gently caress around with steam. I wouldn't be caught anywhere near one of those kettles until it's been gone over inside and out and been given a clean bill of health by a commissioned inspector.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

Sounds like management all right.
“I can’t spend more money so I don’t spend more money because I spent money.”
I can't afford to spend $10K on that tool, but somehow have the money to pay for a catastrophic failure and $6-figures an hour for downtime that the $10K tool and PM schedule could have prevented :downs:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

I can't afford to spend $10K on that tool, but somehow have the money to pay for a catastrophic failure and $6-figures an hour for downtime that the $10K tool and PM schedule could have prevented :downs:

No maintenance is as expensive as not doing maintenance.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

As a real life boiler inspector, please let me emphasize that you should not, ever, no matter what, gently caress around with steam. I wouldn't be caught anywhere near one of those kettles until it's been gone over inside and out and been given a clean bill of health by a commissioned inspector.

I'm glad someone qualified said something because I wouldn't trust them not to catastrophically fail regardless.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Much like the WuTang Clan, high pressure steam ain't nothing to gently caress with.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I am the mechanical failure. I just went in my garage to grab an oil change sticker and

I forgot to pull the handbrake.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

slidebite posted:

Yes, management did talk for the last year about how they were moving towards preventative maintenance model

Another detail came back to me, water softening itself doesn't make water safe for boilers, you need to treat it chemically if you can't deionize it. The titration on our chemical treaters were set incorrectly by my boss, who could never provide a reason for the settings he chose, which effectively left the water untreated. I asked if we planned to have the boiler pressure vessel treated after having run it on straight rural water for three years, and I didn't get a clear answer, which meant 'no'.

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 24, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Catch-22, the other inspectors will refuse to be near them either.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

I am the mechanical failure. I just went in my garage to grab an oil change sticker and

You also forgot to leave it in 1st/reverse (if manual) or park (if automatic). :colbert:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I left the car running. It is a manual. My driveway slopes down. I have never forgotten to pull the handbrake to my knowledge. I'm paranoid I do this more often than I know and simply don't notice. It was a solid 30 seconds before the car started rolling.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Advent Horizon posted:

The back fell off.

In Canada that's a kijiji ad. "Toyota Land Cruiser for sale. Engine good, interior good, body needs work. $10,000 PRICE IS FIRM"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

um excuse me posted:

I left the car running. It is a manual. My driveway slopes down. I have never forgotten to pull the handbrake to my knowledge. I'm paranoid I do this more often than I know and simply don't notice. It was a solid 30 seconds before the car started rolling.

Why did you leave an unattended car idling? This seems highly irresponsible regardless of parking brake position.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well i know somebody who's never lived in a cold climate.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Loaning my parents' cottage. I am pretty sure that the gas is not supposed to hiss before you turn on the burners in the grill.

It seems that the hose was recycled from the previous grill..

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SEKCobra posted:

Why did you leave an unattended car idling? This seems highly irresponsible regardless of parking brake position.

I have a hard time believing this is the generally accepted opinion. Ever forget something in the house after starting your car? I guess I should check my privilege that I don't have to worry about my car being stolen if left running for a minute. You'd also have to have a problem with the entire remote car starter industry.

Anyways, my car requires being warmed up before driving since it has forged rods and pistons. It can cause considerable wear to restart more than necessary.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I had had cars with remote start for the last 5/6 years and I use it all the time to heat/cool the inside before getting in. I get not leaving it running with the keys in, in a busy area with your kids inside as you get those reports of a car being stolen with someone’s children almost every week it seems.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of remote start, my wife has been having trouble with a car audio/accessory shop installing remote start in her 2019 Mazda 3. At one point they messed up the programming so badly the car starts without a key at all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

um excuse me posted:

My wife did this and bent up the 17' aluminum door, which I eventually replaced with a used one from Craigslist, after years of crutching it along (it buckled the reinforcing folds on the bottom panel.) It was even the right color! After which time she backed into the 2-wheel trailer that was parked in front of the garage, and wrinkled the "new" one. Not structurally this time, at least, just cosmetic.
I hate my driveway, BTW. Just enough slope to make it dangerous for engine hoists, creepers, trolley jacks, and furniture dollies (and free-rolling cars, apparently.)

edit: I am not without fault. I backed into a friend's ride when he was parked opposite the driveway, at the curb. Almost did it again a couple weeks ago (same friend, same car.) What's a rearview mirror?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 26, 2021

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I have an electric gate on my garage/workshop but the emergency override is on the outside (great design) so when I leave or arrive I get out of the car, lower the gate and attach a chain lock from the inside that's riveted to the gate and frame. I leave the car running while doing that and I rush the whole process every time because I get anxious about my car sitting unattended and accessible for like 15 seconds. Still beats the bad consciousness from turning it on and off with the engine just running for a few seconds.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Horrible Mechanic Failures

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I had a friend who was given an '81 Trans Am, paint was a little rough but the car was otherwise sound and complete. Until a rotted brake line failed as he was unloading it, slamming the front clip through his shop doors. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued.

He did eventually restore it, arctic white with a maroon bird and matching maroon interior (as opposed to the factory white/blue bird it came as.) Which was impressive as hell, because white/maroon was never a factory option, and also because he had to do it by paint codes and numbers because he's red/green colorblind.

(The moment of horror on his face as I complemented the bold choice of a green dash in an otherwise maroon interior was priceless, even if he got the joke five seconds later.)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Memento posted:

Horrible Mechanic Failures

Mechanic stole the cat off the Toyota.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Horrible mechanical failures: GM putting a turbo check valve inside the intake manifold, and embedding most of the PCV system in a plastic valve cover.

About to do the valve cover on a friend's Cruze... again. And doing a $75 bypass kit for the check valve (which includes a spare check valve, externally mounted) instead of dropping $350 on an intake. And replacing the secondary O2 sensor in hopes of curing both P0420 and P2270 (it has 5 other codes too, in typical GM fashion).

I guess I should just rephrase this to be "Horrible mechanical failures: GM LUJ/LUV engines with over 30k"

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 27, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Horrible mechanical failures: GM putting a turbo check valve inside the intake manifold, and embedding most of the PCV system in a plastic valve cover.

About to do the valve cover on a friend's Cruze... again. And doing a $75 bypass kit for the check valve (which includes a spare check valve, externally mounted) instead of dropping $350 on an intake. And replacing the secondary O2 sensor in hopes of curing both P0420 and P2270 (it has 5 other codes too, in typical GM fashion).

I guess I should just rephrase this to be "Horrible mechanical failures: GM LUJ/LUV engines with over 30k"

Yeah, that sounds like GM.
Or, really, also Ford. Ask me about my EGR valve module that has to be replaced if any of the three separate parts that make it up fail, instead of just that part. Or better still, wait for it to happen to you, STR. Protip - replace with the Motorcraft/Ford part. The aftermarket ones are worse.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The rust flowers are coming in beautifully this year.

6 year old pontoon trailer at work, its been in storage for at least 4 years and the lug nuts are pulling this poo poo, just what the christ. I've never seen lugs do that before.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Luckily I bet those lugnuts are basically gone and since it needs new studs anyways, 30 seconds each with the death wheel to bisect em down to the wheel and 5 seconds with the air chisel to knock the halves off. At least that's what I'd do.

Holy poo poo though. I've never seen them that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

They look like little radials :)