Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

God forbid someone doesn't speak enough English, right? dickhead

And it takes literally every single person who is trying to get their spouse a green card 5 years and $5000 regardless of their language ability or income

If you are going to live in another country for the foreseeable future and after 5 years can't speak the local language beyond "good dog bad dog no poop!", you're either incredibly lazy, or mentally challenged. I'd love to hear another explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Shots fired in the Dumb poo poo Your Work Does thread!!!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Spatule posted:

If you are going to live in another country for the foreseeable future and after 5 years can't speak the local language beyond "good dog bad dog no poop!", you're either incredibly lazy, or mentally challenged. I'd love to hear another explanation.

You're a racist idiot. it's incredibly hard to learn a new language especially as an adult. I doubt you'd learn the language within 5 years of being in that persons home country, but you'd probably think they're all beneath you anyway.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Coworkers have gradually stopped mentioning or updating shared calendars about when they'll be out of the office. I'm not trying to discover reasons for medical leaves, but do sometimes need to ask about projects and after a few days of email silence hear that their trip to Montana was fun.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

You have a non-work or work-based Teams channel? If it's work based then lol they are monitoring your conversations and thats a terrible platform to vent about work. If it's non-work platform then thats super weird for management to tell your boss to post propaganda on a social media chat.

We have a discord for bullshitting and setting up stuff like DnD nights and whatnot for the younger guys on my workteam since we're kinda tight knit from having to work in bumfuck nowhere in a workplace where the average age is in the mid/high 50s.

My boss/manager is a member of said discord and was venting about the bullshit he's being put through to put a smiley face on a poo poo sandwich and letting us know that he doesn't believe the poo poo they're gonna be having him say in a week or two.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Spatule posted:

The Dumb poo poo is coming from inside the thread

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lascivious Sloth posted:

You're a racist idiot. it's incredibly hard to learn a new language especially as an adult. I doubt you'd learn the language within 5 years of being in that persons home country, but you'd probably think they're all beneath you anyway.

I'd hope that was a generalist statement and would apply as much to English or Americans who move to Thailand and refuse to learn a single word of the language as much as anyone else.

It's hard but it's not herculean impossibility. It shouldn't take 5 years to get to the point you can have a somewhat normal conversation with someone in a new country. I moved to a non-English speaking country without knowing anything but English and aside from a month of basic lessons I forced myself to interact with people and studied a little on the side and managed to have decent conversations after a year or two. I had to work at it and it wasn't easy and I'm a terrible student.

There are extenuating circumstances like if they had little to no opportunity to get out and practice speaking, or if literacy wasn't great to start with then yeah I'd expect language skills would take a lot longer to develop. But as a general statement if you force yourself to immerse you'll generally pick it up and that's backed up by pretty much everyone I've spoken to on the subject.

e: FWIW I was learning a romance language so not as hard as something with an entirely new root language.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 23, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

When I said 5 years and $5000 I meant that it takes 5 years to get someone a green card, we haven't been living in the States for that long. She's learned more English since we've been here but not enough to do office work or something like that. It's also incredibly stressful and difficult for immigrants to find anything other than manual labor and I'm not going to have my 5' 0" 100lb wife cleaning mats overnight or working in a factory or something under the table with no workers protection.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AHH F/UGH posted:

When I said 5 years and $5000 I meant that it takes 5 years to get someone a green card, we haven't been living in the States for that long. She's learned more English since we've been here but not enough to do office work or something like that. It's also incredibly stressful and difficult for immigrants to find anything other than manual labor and I'm not going to have my 5' 0" 100lb wife cleaning mats overnight or working in a factory or something under the table with no workers protection.

That sucks, I'm guessing on top of everything else this isn't the best time for anyone to be breaking into a new job market.

Not related but honestly I found the best way to improve conversational language skills is to find a friendly bar and try to shoot the poo poo with people. If you get the right crowd drinkers are usually pretty happy to garble their way through a half understood conversation, and a beer or two helps you loosen up. Three or four beers can be a liabily though so ymmv.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Spatule posted:

You are a tremendous shithead.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Lol imagine thinking that learning English is hard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Spatule posted:

:frogout:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I learned enough spanish during a week in Mexico to be able to at least make a passable trader's tongue out of that and english but I was practicing all day every day (i was drunk on a beach and can't resist a vendor with 4 feet of hat on his head)

That's my story about foreign languages, thanks for reading.

Note for weird guy complaining about someone else's wife: I don't want you to think that I share your ideas. I think you're a shithead for that comment.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Spatule posted:

apparently it's easier than learning when to shut the gently caress up

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Son of Rodney posted:

I cast fire all

gently caress this is good.

Spatule posted:

Sounds like you should take a trip to Chinatown sometime.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
The stronger union trades harp on "teamwork " while taking ground of the smaller unions. Pretty neat.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The stronger union trades harp on "teamwork " while taking ground of the smaller unions. Pretty neat.

Larger unions are more able to wield power effectively

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

OPAONI posted:

Workers of the world unite

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Deki posted:

Exec level management is forcing lower management to have multiple rounds of sitdowns about the new payscale/job title fiasco to "clear up any miscommunications and misunderstandings" because it was received so poorly.

Oh hey this was my work two years ago. They started getting me to replace the term "operator" with "technician" in all of our SOPs in readiness but then quietly shut up about it when they realised you can't call a random factory worker a technician in certain countries if they haven't got the qualification. Because who needs to check this stuff out before you implement a global policy change that everybody hates?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

OPAONI posted:

Kind of depends. I was part of a union that was a branch of the UAW (despite not being, you know, auto workers) and they couldn't leverage the unprecedented amount of work the employer had and their desire to hire an insane number of people over the next ten years to complete all that work into any increase in benefits or pay. They actually managed to sign away our top-of-the-line high premium/no deductible insurance plan (and high premium was $75) that covered everything with a $10 copay. Instead everyone was forced into a high deductible/low premium HSA. The deductible was actually more than our yearly premiums had been, and once you hit the deductible it was just 80% coverage.

The best part was that if you joined the new plan immediately instead of being forced off when the old plan sunset in two years, the company would put in 3/4 of the deductible into your HSA automatically. Somehow I ended up as one of the 300 or so people who followed the instructions and never got that starter funding. By the time I left the company they were still trying to resolve it, so I never saw a dime of what I was promised and the union basically said if I really wanted the money I should stay with the company instead of leaving.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Spatule posted:

Imagine going from a language where everything is written phonetically to a language where tough, though, and trough are all pronounced differently, read rhymes with lead, but read also rhymes with led, where whether the letter G is pronounced as a hard or soft consonant depends on the root of the word (is it Greek or Latin in origin), where the plural of moose is moose but for goose it's geese. The English R sound is a loving abomination that requires bunching up your tongue in the back of your mouth. There's almost as many exceptions to the rules of this Frankenlanguage as there are rules to begin with. The language is legitimately difficult to learn in adulthood.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

read rhymes with lead
And also read is pronounced in two different ways depending on whether it's used to describe past or present. English is a ridiculous language.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
English is the Vincent Adultman of languages.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Batterypowered7 posted:

, read rhymes with lead, but read also rhymes with led,

As a native speaker, my first thought was "okay, you said the same thing twice but whatever," and I had to do a double take later in the sentence when I realized my mistake. Yeah, English sucks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Esran posted:

And also read is pronounced in two different ways depending on whether it's used to describe past or present. English is a ridiculous language.

Also many words pronounced the same with totally different meanings. Left, bark, date, drop, rose, train, tie, yeah not fun.

For a work thing, a minor quality of life WFH benefit has been there are weekly hour long management videos for senior leadership to talk to us. As they are non-interactive there is no need to worry about being called on or attendance being taken. I like being able to drop in, watch the first five minutes to confirm if it's the rare one in 20 with important info, then close out and get on with my day.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

As a native speaker, my first thought was "okay, you said the same thing twice but whatever," and I had to do a double take later in the sentence when I realized my mistake. Yeah, English sucks.

I also read that wrong, I assumed they were highlighting that led and lead were pronounced the same but spelled differently :doh:

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Lazyfire posted:

Kind of depends. I was part of a union that was a branch of the UAW (despite not being, you know, auto workers) and they couldn't leverage the unprecedented amount of work the employer had and their desire to hire an insane number of people over the next ten years to complete all that work into any increase in benefits or pay. They actually managed to sign away our top-of-the-line high premium/no deductible insurance plan (and high premium was $75) that covered everything with a $10 copay. Instead everyone was forced into a high deductible/low premium HSA. The deductible was actually more than our yearly premiums had been, and once you hit the deductible it was just 80% coverage.

The best part was that if you joined the new plan immediately instead of being forced off when the old plan sunset in two years, the company would put in 3/4 of the deductible into your HSA automatically. Somehow I ended up as one of the 300 or so people who followed the instructions and never got that starter funding. By the time I left the company they were still trying to resolve it, so I never saw a dime of what I was promised and the union basically said if I really wanted the money I should stay with the company instead of leaving.

Oh yeah the problem with unions in the USA as they are currently is that the leadership of the union is often corrupt or ineffectual, making them not obviously worth it to the individual guy on the line.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I taught English as a Foreign Language for 5 years, including to advanced college students. I always made a deal that if they could read The Chaos correctly in one try I’d pass them automatically.

https://ncf.idallen.com/english.html

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Deki posted:

We have a discord for bullshitting and setting up stuff like DnD nights and whatnot for the younger guys on my workteam since we're kinda tight knit from having to work in bumfuck nowhere in a workplace where the average age is in the mid/high 50s.

My boss/manager is a member of said discord and was venting about the bullshit he's being put through to put a smiley face on a poo poo sandwich and letting us know that he doesn't believe the poo poo they're gonna be having him say in a week or two.

Oh okay. You said Teams, not discord, so I assumed it was a work channel- I don't know anyone that would use Teams for non-work stuff, but yeah discord makes sense.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I taught English as a Foreign Language for 5 years, including to advanced college students. I always made a deal that if they could read The Chaos correctly in one try I’d pass them automatically.

https://ncf.idallen.com/english.html

drat there's so many words I don't know in the first page alone. Terpsichore, ague, sward, mica, brougham, Billet.

Also many of those words are pronounced differently in each country, such as Beau, which Americans pronounce differently to British, for example. And it's funny but some of the rhymes don't apply anymore as the pronounciation has changed over time for some words but not others.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 23, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A few ESL people have told me that one of the hardest parts of learning English is the phrasal verbs. It's not something a lot of other languages have, and there's really no way to get them down other than memorization.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OPAONI posted:

Oh yeah the problem with unions in the USA as they are currently is that the leadership of the union is often corrupt or ineffectual, making them not obviously worth it to the individual guy on the line.
You're usually better off with a union. But at the end of the day they are just an alternate way to capitalize labor and your dealings with them need to be colored by the idea that as a labor capitalization scheme they can turn into HR with a mustache on.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Spatule posted:

english is a very dumb language that has tons of exceptions because "thats just the way it is" so inevitably its confusing for anyone who is a non native speaker

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

ultrafilter posted:

A few ESL people have told me that one of the hardest parts of learning English is the phrasal verbs. It's not something a lot of other languages have, and there's really no way to get them down other than memorization.

I used to work with a guy from the Philippines, and I always thought he had trouble with tenses, but that link has EXACTLY the kind of errors he struggled with. I was curious if it had to do with his original language, but it sounds like it's English in general.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

What I got out of that is that get out of something is missing from the list

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Tenser, said the Tensor.
Tension, apprehension,
And dissension have begun.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Also many of those words are pronounced differently in each country, such as Beau, which Americans pronounce differently to British, for example. And it's funny but some of the rhymes don't apply anymore as the pronounciation has changed over time for some words but not others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj7a-p4psRA

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!

Outrail posted:

It's hard but it's not herculean impossibility. It shouldn't take 5 years to get to the point you can have a somewhat normal conversation with someone in a new country. I moved to a non-English speaking country without knowing anything but English and aside from a month of basic lessons I forced myself to interact with people and studied a little on the side and managed to have decent conversations after a year or two. I had to work at it and it wasn't easy and I'm a terrible student.

I, too, am a horrible student and picked up almost-conversational Armenian at thirty-six years old;. Full immersion and making a few keys statements are critical: "Please speak more slowly" and "I'm sorry, but I don't understand" were among the first I learned; if you really wanna learn something, you'll learn it.

To contribute: some rear end in a top hat administrator at my job probably decided he needed another summer home, so full working copies of Office are now the caffeine-free, diet, web-based version (organizational cost savings) and the drones have regressed to the point of being nearly unable to edit the meeting minutes, spruce up the powerpoints or whatever the gently caress they do all day when they aren't busy discussing last night's prime-time televised garbage or their crotchfruit's athletic achievements.

At what age or stage in life does someone simply quit learning? Fifty? Grandparenthood? Is there no way to buy these people into an early retirement and use the insurance savings for good voice-recognition software or something? My work already has the hardware in place; we simply need to get rid of the dead wood whose sole purpose is taking meeting minutes and managing daily calendars--what the gently caress else to they do for 36 hours/week?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The people who won't learn at 60 weren't any different at 20. They were lazy assholes who learned the bare minimum skills necessary to exist when they first became adults and never learned a single thing beyond that, only growing more and more out of date. People who want to learn never stop. People who don't want to learn never start.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Listen: it's very impressive that many people itt learned how to speak another language. It's definitely hard and takes dedication and intelligence. Good job!

However, a person who is in a different country because of family reasons is not the same. Humble bragging how it's difficult but possible just makes you look conceited imo

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Life is a continuing exercise is finding out that some people didn't learn that people are fuckin stupid and adulthood changes nothing to do with that.