Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

e.pilot posted:

A lot of drink powders will make them flip the gently caress out too

A few years back I took 30 packets of Hidden Valley Ranch powder in my carry on bag to my buddy in Beijing where he could not acquire ranch dressing but could acquire seemingly endless quantities of heavy duty mayonnaise (as indicated by the label) from Hong Kong so it was a match made in the Temple of Heaven, as they say.

TSA in CLT, BDL, and DEN (hidden city tickets 🤷‍♀️) had no idea what to make of me and why I was doing this upon the multiple secondary screenings I received despite having CLEAR and Precheck. Good times.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's not posted anywhere that you're not allowed to! :v:

*next week* Oh wow you guys were able to get those "no biking" signs made, like, super fast.

Policies that were clearly put in place because of one person are my favorite.

Our operations manual for the Q400 specifically tells us to "oversteer" the airplane when operating on narrow taxiways and/or intersections (to avoid putting the inside main gear off the taxiway in a turn) , which is common sense to about 99.9% of people who fly the airplane.

That paragraph exists because one captain got an airplane stuck in the mud at an airport where it was blindingly obvious that you needed to oversteer the corner, and his excuse for doing it was "the manual didn't tell me to deviate off the yellow line", so the manual now says to do that when needed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aviation is one place where you'd expect a lot of malicious compliance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e.pilot posted:

A lot of drink powders will make them flip the gently caress out too

e:
I’ve taken a folding bike through TSA on numerous occasions, you don’t know how tempting it is to put it together and ride through the terminal

I flew out of O'Hare recently and there were two crusty teenagers skateboarding through the densely packed terminal, weaving and dodging between people, missing them by inches.

I have never wished more strongly for a faceplant in my life.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I wanna reach back through time and slap the dumbass that was training me at a large feeder cargo 135, and scolded me for deviating from the yellow line when turning into this weird tight ramp (in a new big airplane where I wasn't used to the dimensions, and I couldn't see the wingtips behind me) and took what I figured to be the most reasonable path, i.e. equidistant from the obstacles on either side.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 23, 2021

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

azflyboy posted:

I've had the TSA alert on my bag after swabbing it on a couple of occasions when going through security in uniform, and it made me feel very safe knowing that the TSA was making sure the guy in charge of an airplane carrying several tons of fuel didn't have access to anything dangerous.

Same thing when they got suspicious about my metal spork (which has a serrated edge), since there's a very sharp crash axe right behind my seat, but obviously I'm gonna hijack myself with a spork instead.

Obviously the line has been drawn in the wrong place, but there was that cargo pilot that brought a bunch of hammers on board to kill the other pilots and then crash the plane so it wouldn't look like a suicide.

One guy managed to restrain him while the other pilot was doing some Blue Angels poo poo to turn the plane into the hallway fight from Inception while partially blind from the concussion crazy-guy gave him.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Cojawfee posted:

I was on a TDY once and we had a case with some classified electronics and I think my courier letter said all TSA could do was xray it and we could not be required to open it.

Yep, when I was in the USAF I used to travel quite often with classified keys (COMSEC) for communication equipment. I was in Germany and we had a letter from the US Embassy that said they couldn't open the locked ammo box we used to transport the keys (it was technically a diplomatic pouch at that point, I think). Going through the airport was always a fun process.

edit: And on this point, I had an... interesting experience this weekend flying out of STL. I have pre-check and so don't have to pull anything out of my bags, and I was traveling with a laptop and 2 iPads, among other things. I had my metal water bottle in my bag and forgot to empty it out. They saw that when they x-rayed the bag, but just made me go back through, and there wasn't anyone else in line so they were chill about it. One of the guys pulled out all of my electronics and asked if I worked in IT, I said yeah (I mean, it's not inaccurate) and then asked, on the other side, what I thought about Pelican cases about the size of my roller bag. I said, sure, they're handy, I've used them before. He was asking because he and a buddy were getting several pallets of Pelican cases and were looking for ideas for selling them. I suggested he contact astronomy clubs and university departments because we use cases for storing expensive equipment and if he gave them a discount he'd get some hits. He was super happy at that point. I don't know if I just participated in helping some offload stolen Pelican cases or what.

hannibal fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 24, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

Obviously the line has been drawn in the wrong place, but there was that cargo pilot that brought a bunch of hammers on board to kill the other pilots and then crash the plane so it wouldn't look like a suicide.

One guy managed to restrain him while the other pilot was doing some Blue Angels poo poo to turn the plane into the hallway fight from Inception while partially blind from the concussion crazy-guy gave him.

If I recall my trivia correctly that guy is the only person to ever be convicted for air piracy in the US.

hannibal posted:

edit: And on this point, I had an... interesting experience this weekend flying out of STL. I have pre-check and so don't have to pull anything out of my bags, and I was traveling with a laptop and 2 iPads, among other things. I had my metal water bottle in my bag and forgot to empty it out. They saw that when they x-rayed the bag, but just made me go back through, and there wasn't anyone else in line so they were chill about it. One of the guys pulled out all of my electronics and asked if I worked in IT, I said yeah (I mean, it's not inaccurate) and then asked, on the other side, what I thought about Pelican cases about the size of my roller bag. I said, sure, they're handy, I've used them before. He was asking because he and a buddy were getting several pallets of Pelican cases and were looking for ideas for selling them. I suggested he contact astronomy clubs and university departments because we use cases for storing expensive equipment and if he gave them a discount he'd get some hits. He was super happy at that point. I don't know if I just participated in helping some offload stolen Pelican cases or what.

They could also be unbranded chinese knockoffs that had a minimum import of a pallet or two and their buddy thought it was a brilliant get rich quick scheme. It could also be from a surplus auction of some sort.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 24, 2021

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Way back in the oughts I had a tsa guy confiscate my bic lighter but in return give me a book of matches :wtf:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The last time I flew out east to see my grandma, she gave me a bunch of old micrometers and stuff from my grandfather's days as a tool and die inspector. TSA made me take every single one of them out of the case on my return flight, maybe they thought I could hijack a plane with some calipers and point mics?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Good solid chunks of metal will show as a black hole in the x-ray so if you have some big machined parts they'll need you to unpack your bag because they can't see anything in the xray.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Aviation is one place where you'd expect a lot of malicious compliance.

The guy who got the airplane stuck was just spectacularly dense (he spent a three day trip trying to convince me that the callsign goes before every single radio transmission, and most of the FO's at his base tried to avoid flying with him), but there's also a lot of malicious compliance.

Last year, our management decided that the 1.5 liter water bottles on the Q400 were responsible for the airline losing $3 million/day, so they started insisting the pilots only drink from the little 6oz bottles we gave passengers, which meant we had a ton of them on the flight deck, and they loved rolling under the rudder pedals.

Eventually, someone got the brilliant idea to label the case of big water bottles on the airplane "FOR WEIGHT AND BALANCE PURPOSES ONLY", and sent out a memo to that effect, saying that the FAA said we couldn't take any of them (spoiler alert: the FAA never said that).

The pilots immediately decided this was idiotic and since the cases of water bottles rarely had the same number of bottles from one airplane to the next (and were occasionally missing outright), we started bombarding management with safety reports and phone calls to duty officers (along with the delays associated with doing those) for specific approval to fly the airplanes with a non-standard number of water bottles on board, since the memo meant we were flying the airplanes at a different empty weight than planned.

After about two weeks, the signs disappeared off the cases of water, and the memo was very quietly removed from our iPad archives.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

azflyboy posted:

After about two weeks, the signs disappeared off the cases of water, and the memo was very quietly removed from our iPad archives.

Real heroes wear a note with their WBAT login in their ID holders

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I was 11 years old I begged my parents for a laser pointer (at the time a $80 item) after seeing them advertised in the Edmund Scientific catalog. My grandparents got me one that Christmas, so I had it with me when we flew back. This being the mid-90s, it was the first time many people had seen a laser pointer. The TSA pre-TSA security guards were fascinated by it. I remember them pointing it at each other and doing bad Arnold Schwarzenegger impressions -- "you're terminated" etc -- then one asking "hey, do you think it can go all the way to the end of the terminal?" and shining it down the whole concourse while the others oohed and aahed. They cheerfully gave it back and told me to not shoot any good guys with it.

Simpler times :allears:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I made the mistake early last year of traveling to work out of uniform and the tsa guy decided that my monster energy drinks posed a security hazard. Sealed aluminum cans. Not the food in Tupperware but the factory sealed cans. I made that fucker dump them out while I watched. rear end in a top hat

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Cat Hatter posted:

N306FE, the DC-10 hijacked, had the cockpit so messed up by the flailing and blood splatter that they just ended up removing everything and making it the MD-10 prototype.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

azflyboy posted:

The pilots immediately decided this was idiotic and since the cases of water bottles rarely had the same number of bottles from one airplane to the next (and were occasionally missing outright), we started bombarding management with safety reports and phone calls to duty officers (along with the delays associated with doing those) for specific approval to fly the airplanes with a non-standard number of water bottles on board, since the memo meant we were flying the airplanes at a different empty weight than planned.

I love the probably-apocryphal stories of MAF wars between aircrew and maintenance.

Gripe: Evidence of hydraulic leak in aft equipment compartment.
Fix: Removed evidence.

Gripe: Excessive fluid leak beneath no. 3 engine.
Fix: Fluid leak is at normal levels.

Gripe: Engines 1, 2, and 4 do not show normal leakage.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

I flew out of O'Hare recently and there were two crusty teenagers skateboarding through the densely packed terminal, weaving and dodging between people, missing them by inches.

I have never wished more strongly for a faceplant in my life.

The goal is to keep the yellow line between the mains, as there’s (relatively) little weight on the nose wheel, and the nose is more maneuverable.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

azflyboy posted:

The guy who got the airplane stuck was just spectacularly dense (he spent a three day trip trying to convince me that the callsign goes before every single radio transmission, and most of the FO's at his base tried to avoid flying with him), but there's also a lot of malicious compliance.

Last year, our management decided that the 1.5 liter water bottles on the Q400 were responsible for the airline losing $3 million/day, so they started insisting the pilots only drink from the little 6oz bottles we gave passengers, which meant we had a ton of them on the flight deck, and they loved rolling under the rudder pedals.

Eventually, someone got the brilliant idea to label the case of big water bottles on the airplane "FOR WEIGHT AND BALANCE PURPOSES ONLY", and sent out a memo to that effect, saying that the FAA said we couldn't take any of them (spoiler alert: the FAA never said that).

oh baby I love me some malicious compliance

At one of my previous airlines, the maintenance wasn’t the best, and we had a streak of airplanes for a while that would pop out of reverse if you went to full reverse, very suddenly 800shp of reverse thrust became 800shp of normal thrust, not great when you’re landing. This eventually lead to someone overrunning a runway, and the pilot being blamed for it, and a change to the ops specs.

I can’t remember the exact details but it was something along the lines of having to land with a certain flap configuration if the weather was bad, but it directly conflicted with the POH of the airplane, which essentially prevented us from legally landing if there were icing conditions.

A bunch of us from the pilot group brought this up and management brushed us off. This all happened over the summer and oh baby I couldn’t wait to delay a flight because of it. Sure enough winter comes, icing conditions, I delay the flight, the DO loses his poo poo, to which I point out, per paragraph blah blah blah does this not say to do this, and per the POH does it not say if there’s icing you can’t do this? I’ve no doubt the plane is capable of safely doing it, but as this is written it’s not legal to try.

Said paragraph was removed the next day. :allears:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I love the probably-apocryphal stories of MAF wars between aircrew and maintenance.

Gripe: Evidence of hydraulic leak in aft equipment compartment.
Fix: Removed evidence.

Gripe: Excessive fluid leak beneath no. 3 engine.
Fix: Fluid leak is at normal levels.

Gripe: Engines 1, 2, and 4 do not show normal leakage.

Gripe: TACAN INOP when mode selector is "on full force."
Fix: Select "Overland Nav mode."
This one was a pretty decent joke from the pilot. It took us a few minutes to come up with a good acronym for "on," in much the same way we assumed the acronym for "OFF" came to him.

My legitimate favorite one of these was from the MH-53. There's a relief tube next to the pilot's left hip on the aft cockpit bulkhead. It's literally just a cone and a tube that drains through the floor. To keep the thing from flopping around, we'd put a loop of shear wire (soft-drawn and annealed copper wire) around it. This means it takes a deliberate effort to pull it off the bulkhead. One flight, the pilot grabs the cone and pulls but doesn't pull hard enough to break the shear wire.

Gripe: Relief tube hose not long enough.

So the maintainer goes out to the helicopter and pops the cone off the wall, verifies the tube still reaches to the required places, replaces it, and puts another loop of shear wire around.

Fix: Could not duplicate. Relief tube hose long enough for enlisted prick.

That one got signed off and all the way through to the Maintenance Officer. He also signed it off, printed about thirty copies, then deleted the discrepancy out of the computer (must uphold decorum). The discrepancy signoff then sat at the front of the helicopter's logbook to be reviewed by oncoming crews for a while, and the pilot got a new nickname (which I can't remember anymore).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Gripe: Relief tube hose not long enough.

The E-2 has the same high-tech system (though each pilot gets their own tube, very swanky). One of the junior pilots at my old squadron wrote a MAF like this using our XO's name as a prank. The XO was extremely not amused.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kid flying a banner plane over the Atlantic City boardwalk lost throttle command and landed on the Rt52 causeway bridge in Ocean City:

https://www.nj.com/atlantic/2021/07...rom_your_editor

Eighteen-year-old out of Wyoming getting some hours. Kept his cool. No damage to anything, no injuries. As far as I know, the plane was towed back to Rio Grande and has resumed operations

Yes, folks, no cowl.

I continue to be amazed that the FAA isn't giving banner operators more poo poo about their aircraft. Think this was a 1946 O-1

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gun chat....

We had an instance here in Canada a few years back (I tried to google it to link - couldn't find it but if I do I'll edit it in) where a guy and his wife were flying commercial and he was bringing a pistol with him. Shooting competition or something like that.

So in Canada you need to have your restricted firearms (pistols) securely packed/locked when you transport which he did and presented to the agent at the airport. They gave him some paperwork and said here you go and instead of checking it in gave him his pistol back. Went through security and boarded the aircraft. Not sure when he finally went uuuuh, this ain't right if it was before he left or what, but turns out the original agent assumed he was LEO and just gave him his pistol to keep as a carry on :lol:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Yes, folks, no cowl.

I would bet they intentionally left it off for cooling. Banner planes spend all their time flying extremely slowly (so there's less cooling airflow), on the back side of the power curve (so they're at higher than usual power for the airspeed) and at low altitude (so it's hot).

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

slidebite posted:

Gun chat....

We had an instance here in Canada a few years back (I tried to google it to link - couldn't find it but if I do I'll edit it in) where a guy and his wife were flying commercial and he was bringing a pistol with him. Shooting competition or something like that.

So in Canada you need to have your restricted firearms (pistols) securely packed/locked when you transport which he did and presented to the agent at the airport. They gave him some paperwork and said here you go and instead of checking it in gave him his pistol back. Went through security and boarded the aircraft. Not sure when he finally went uuuuh, this ain't right if it was before he left or what, but turns out the original agent assumed he was LEO and just gave him his pistol to keep as a carry on :lol:

Join me on my next landing in Lae. Last few times I was given a pistol before getting out of the terminal.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

PainterofCrap posted:

Kid flying a banner plane over the Atlantic City boardwalk lost throttle command and landed on the Rt52 causeway bridge in Ocean City:

Eighteen-year-old out of Wyoming getting some hours. Kept his cool. No damage to anything, no injuries. As far as I know, the plane was towed back to Rio Grande and has resumed operations

Yes, folks, no cowl.

I continue to be amazed that the FAA isn't giving banner operators more poo poo about their aircraft. Think this was a 1946 O-1

It is critical that we know what the banner read.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

Yes, folks, no cowl.

The lack of cowl is no big deal. The entire air box hanging off the bottom of the engine supported only by the carb heat duct and control cable is an issue. :v:

I work with a guy who used to tow banners, and worked a summer or three with that particular operation. He briefly described that they had a “healing shelf,” where parts that have been reported as problematic were removed and left until someone reported an aircraft with a worse issue, where they’d be swapped to until someone complained.

Banner ops are the wild loving west.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

helno posted:

This is an unusual way to hunt for mountain goats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8djWfNmJlKo

In november this video was posted and there were quite a bit of discussion on it. Few weeks later this video was published with a glider instructor doing an analysis of the flight.

Glider Accidental IMC in Cloud: Reaction from a Gliding Instructor - Pure Glider

The video illustrates well the standard sin of gliding, not staying clear of clouds. Because clouds are where the good stuff is. Mountains with wave and ridge are of course extra danger, but on a flat land thermal flying no one stays away from the cloud bottoms. Those extra meters are just way too alluring. Just a while ago I was listening on a discussion about how cumulus clouds are concave and how weird it is flying below cloud bottom and the cloud curves down around you.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
And this video goes well with the relief tube discussion.

How to Pee in a Glider 🌊😅 - Pure Glide

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
These are paintings

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So, TIL that lowering the nose on Concorde is a *process*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRvobsj2V4

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So, TIL that lowering the nose on Concorde is a *process*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRvobsj2V4

To be fair, during actual operation you’d already have hydraulic pressure, and all the breakers would already be closed unless something was wrong.

I really enjoyed “This Concorde has the droopiest nose of all.”

:v:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Safety Dance posted:

Ehh, beg to differ for first time offenders. A friend of mine's father had a brain fart and re-packed his range bag for a flight without taking his pistol out. Security spotted it, he missed his flight, got questioned, did some community service, end of story. Hell, I almost went through a checkpoint with two .308 rounds in my jacket pocket once.
it looks like he wasn't uncooperative with flight crew instructions though

there's a difference between a mistake and wilful felony

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Safety Dance posted:

Ehh, beg to differ for first time offenders. A friend of mine's father had a brain fart and re-packed his range bag for a flight without taking his pistol out. Security spotted it, he missed his flight, got questioned, did some community service, end of story. Hell, I almost went through a checkpoint with two .308 rounds in my jacket pocket once.

On the other side of the coin, though,

it sounds like he hasn't been dutifully controlling and accounting for his human-killing weapons

maybe a lifetime ban is too much, but something as negligent as this needs to sting hard

the notion that this was just "an honest, harmless mistake" is predicated upon the subjective value judgment that negligence with weapons can ever be considered a minor issue

Edit: to bring this back to AI relevance, I don't think it's much of an ask that non-feral people bring their mindful and cooperative A game to the range, security checkpoints, and flights.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 25, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you get so complacent with your guns that you don't even remember where you put them, maybe you shouldn't have any.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cojawfee posted:

If you get so complacent with your guns that you don't even remember where you put them, maybe you shouldn't have any.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Counterpoint: people who are most obsessed with guns are the worst gun owners.

Obviously, we need to arm the indifferent.

It’s like how people who crave political power are the last people we want to give it to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Obviously, we need to arm the indifferent.

This sounds like Switzerland's thing where every household has a military-issued rifle and as a result nobody gives a poo poo.

Probably a key part too is that the ammo is locked up at the armory and the only place you are allowed to shoot the gun is at the local training range.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrYenko posted:

To be fair, during actual operation you’d already have hydraulic pressure, and all the breakers would already be closed unless something was wrong.

I really enjoyed “This Concorde has the droopiest nose of all.”

:v:
True, but I am more impressed that a museum piece Concord still has, at least partially, functioning hydraulics and electrical bus.

I wonder if it still has engines?

Wasn't there some private group in the UK looking to make one flyable? Sounds like a pipedream to me but is that still a thing?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Speaking of Concorde, I walked through the one they have at the Museum of Flight in Seattle years ago and oh man it’s not a roomy aircraft

Edit: I guess it doesn’t matter if you’re getting from Heathrow to JFK in 3 hours

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 26, 2021