Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Well, I hit 30 on my Conjurer and I am about to start the white mage quest. For the most part, I have been enjoying it enough that if it gets as much better post-ARR as people are saying, I'll end up playing a lot.

I have a lot of little gripes too, but holy hell how can tab targeting be so bad?!? In a dungeon and there are 3 mobs your tank is engaged with? Hope you want tab to target a neutral mob 30 yards behind the fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Doom Rooster posted:

Well, I hit 30 on my Conjurer and I am about to start the white mage quest. For the most part, I have been enjoying it enough that if it gets as much better post-ARR as people are saying, I'll end up playing a lot.

Pro-tip, before you equip your White Mage job stone, head back to Gridania and pick up a quest from Braya in the Conjurer's Guild called "Unicorn Power." It'll give you a free mount upon completing it, but the quest can only be done as a Conjurer.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

I have a lot of little gripes too, but holy hell how can tab targeting be so bad?!? In a dungeon and there are 3 mobs your tank is engaged with? Hope you want tab to target a neutral mob 30 yards behind the fight!

There is an alternate targeting key that's "select closest target" (F11), which I find leads to far less surprises than tab, though I dunno how well it works for healers.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
You can also change the way tab targeting works in the settings; either conal or cycling through nearest to farthest I think?

Either way I use tab target, a different key for "target nearest enemy" as the above poster mentioned, and the enemy list for all my targeting needs.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There's target closest enemy, which I bind to V.

For healer I bind F as target focus target and usually set that as the tank.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You can also target your tank with F2 and then target his target with t if that works out better for you. At least I think it's t.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Tab targeting defaults to cone, and it works weird. The first target is what you expect, it grabs the closest, but after that it works left to right across what you can see on your screen instead of grabbing the next closest. Its dumb, but you can game it by doing things like moving your camera around to only show the enemies you're fighting or just getting used to the stupid way it selects enemies and hitting tab more than once. You can also just mouse-select off the aggro list if they're on there, and you can assign a hotkey to that, but they won't be on it if you haven't tagged them even if your party did (which is, again, dumb).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Pro-tip, before you equip your White Mage job stone, head back to Gridania and pick up a quest from Braya in the Conjurer's Guild called "Unicorn Power." It'll give you a free mount upon completing it, but the quest can only be done as a Conjurer.

how many things like this have i missed not sure I’ve ever gotten a mount from a random sidequest

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

how many things like this have i missed not sure I’ve ever gotten a mount from a random sidequest

This is pretty much the only mount that I'm aware of that comes from a random sidequest, though there are a few minions in ARR that come from sidequests like this.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

It's not quite as cool as the Unicorn but there's a side quest in Mor Dhona that lets you unlock a couple special animations on the mount you get for finishing 2.0.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Super No Vacancy posted:

This one was added post-2.0 to get people to level a healer. I think it's the only one of its kind.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah if you preorder Endwalker you can get an earring good until level 80.

Just want to point this out for new players, since I'm sure it'll "gotcha!" someone:

If you're currently on the trial, you can buy Shadowbringers/Complete Edition to unlock the last two expansions. You can also pre-order Endwalker, which will give you those expansions too, but only when Endwalker actually releases in November. You can get and use the pre-order bonus minion and EXP earring, but you can't progress past the trial until Endwalker release. You can, of course, buy both, if you want to have your cake and eat it too.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Not as cool as a mount, but after you get Summoner/Scholar to 50, take off your job stone and go back to the Arcanist trainer for a little quest to invent a brand new red carbuncle and learn how to turn your primal egis back into carbuncles.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Kwyndig posted:

You can also target your tank with F2 and then target his target with t if that works out better for you. At least I think it's t.

Is the official tank role always F2? I haven't played Wow in forever but it seemed like there wasn't any particular order Wow parties got put into.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Base Emitter posted:

Is the official tank role always F2? I haven't played Wow in forever but it seemed like there wasn't any particular order Wow parties got put into.

I think you can change this in settings, but the default ordering is:

Tank
Healer
DPS (Melee)
DPS (Ranged)

You always appear as #1 on your screen, so if you're not the tank, tank is always #2 (and second tank is #3 in trials/raids).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Zutaten posted:

Not as cool as a mount, but after you get Summoner/Scholar to 50, take off your job stone and go back to the Arcanist trainer for a little quest to invent a brand new red carbuncle and learn how to turn your primal egis back into carbuncles.

You don't need to take off your job stone for this.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Nibble posted:

I think you can change this in settings, but the default ordering is:

Tank
Healer
DPS (Melee)
DPS (Ranged)

You always appear as #1 on your screen, so if you're not the tank, tank is always #2 (and second tank is #3 in trials/raids).

It's also possible to change this in the party options if you want the tank to always be number 1 or any other ordering you like.
If you ever have a person leave during group content and you get a replacement they'll always get added to the bottom of the list, in the case you want it sorted again open the party menu (O) and press the sort button near the bottom

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

You don't need to take off your job stone for this.
i think in fact you need the summoner jobstone.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I’ve got my conjurer up to 14. When can I leave the starting area (by taking the airship, I assume?) to whatever town has the caster DPS starting job?

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Regalingualius posted:

So I’ve got my conjurer up to 14. When can I leave the starting area (by taking the airship, I assume?) to whatever town has the caster DPS starting job?

The main story quest will eventually send you, via airship, to other cities. This unlocks them too.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

its the level 15 MSQ, so since you can see the level of the current quest you're at, you can guess how far you have to go in case you're overleveled.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

There are some quests at level 15 in the MSQ that take you to the other cities, where you can go switch classes any time. A lot of things are locked by MSQ completion in this game, it matters way more than character level.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Also there are two starting caster DPS, one a straight DPS (thaumaturge, starts in Ul'dah) and the other a dots and pets DPS (arcanist, starts in Limsa Lominsa). I'd recommend trying out both unless you have a preference.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for reference thaumaturge upgrades into black mage and arcanist upgrades into summoner, if you wanna go by classic FF jobs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arcanist can also upgrade into Scholar, a shield healer. It's the only class that can upgrade into two jobs, it's weird like that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also, just curious: do the matron/patron gods you choose at character creation have any actual gameplay effects, or is it purely flavor?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Regalingualius posted:

Also, just curious: do the matron/patron gods you choose at character creation have any actual gameplay effects, or is it purely flavor?

Purely flavor.

The only time it ever comes up in the game is if you get married (which is a thing you can do in the game), in which case at the cathedral the symbols of the wedding couples' patrons light up.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

When the game first came out, magic potency used to be aligned to elements. You'll sometimes still see references to this in ability tooltips (Moves like Katon or Verfire deal "fire-aspected damage" according to their tooltips). Elemental magic resistance was a stat characters had, and the God you chose as your protector in character creation slightly tilted your base stats, giving you a resistance boon to one element and a bane of weakness to another. All of that has since been stripped from the game, though, and references like what I mentioned are vestigial.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 24, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It also never mattered. One person once in a whim stacked as much water resistance as they could in leviathan and it didn't make enough difference for the healers to even notice

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It did, IIRC, matter in 1.0, but it hasn't in 2.0 onward.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, after playing for a few hours, i feel like Nolan Sorento from Ready Player One helped them design the UI, with his 'We can sell up to 80% of the user's screen without inducing seizures" line, and the devs going "yeah, we can make it 85%....

Holy poo poo are my eyes tired from that, espeically after walking through a market.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Cimber posted:

Well, after playing for a few hours, i feel like Nolan Sorento from Ready Player One helped them design the UI, with his 'We can sell up to 80% of the user's screen without inducing seizures" line, and the devs going "yeah, we can make it 85%....

Holy poo poo are my eyes tired from that, espeically after walking through a market.

Character Configuration -> Control Settings -> Character -> Battle Effects Settings -> Others Show None

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Question in a similar vein, I've been healing my MSQ dungeons and it's hurting my eyes to watch party frames in a caster heavy party. I'm just finding it hard to parse health bars from cast bars. I've moved my party frames already, and I'm not sure I want to turn party cast bars off even if it's possible, but does anybody have tips on making the party frame more reasonable for healing?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

You only really need to target either enemies or one tank for the vast majority of content.

Also castbars only appear when someone is actually casting something, it's also a different color and size and is always going up. If you want to keep track of tank hp though you can set it as /focustarget, default is shift+f but you can rebind it or make a macro for the text command, move the focus target bar somewhere visible then bind something to target focus target to quickly select the tank.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Algid posted:

You only really need to target either enemies or one tank for the vast majority of content.

Also castbars only appear when someone is actually casting something, it's also a different color and size and is always going up. If you want to keep track of tank hp though you can set it as /focustarget, default is shift+f but you can rebind it or make a macro for the text command, move the focus target bar somewhere visible then bind something to target focus target to quickly select the tank.

Unfortunately, I'm asking because I've had several sprout groups go to poo poo (always due to poor tanks) and I do have to care. None of it has been stuff I can't heal through, I'm saying it's hard on my eyes to distinguish who's lowest when there are several cast bars going all the time. I guess I'll see what my small UI tweaks are and see if anything helps.

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

How does dyeing and glamours work? If I dye a piece before putting it in the dresser will it retain the dye? If I dye a glamoured item will it apply to the glamour or the base item?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yes. Also works if you put it in the dresser and then dye it (the item itself, not a plate)
Glamoured item.

Bragon posted:

Unfortunately, I'm asking because I've had several sprout groups go to poo poo (always due to poor tanks) and I do have to care. None of it has been stuff I can't heal through, I'm saying it's hard on my eyes to distinguish who's lowest when there are several cast bars going all the time. I guess I'll see what my small UI tweaks are and see if anything helps.
I think you can change colors around in character config -> display name settings? That and just resizing and moving around the UI I guess.

Algid fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 25, 2021

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So i pasted this in the main thread, but just before I died and hit wait rather than return. They said and google also confirmed that there was a little box in the lower left, but try as I might I could not see it. Any tips for finding it?

Also i got killed by a world event where a bunch of yellowjacket recruits gangbanged me as soon as I zoned into an area. I wasn't amused.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You mean the box to bring back up the option to return? It's in the lower right, I think, not lower left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

So many sprouts around right now. I know because I am one again, made a trial account so I can do the early game again on Excal.

Have anyone mentioned the first cutscene choice giving you a ring? Choosing $ for your answer is the crafting ring btw which doesn't have an early game equivalent. It's literally a best in slot item if you're starting out unlike the other choices.