Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

gotta love "uncensorable app store" with the implication that apps more often get taken down just to stifle free speech than for being blatant malware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the price of freedom is eternal malware

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Those who give up security for freedom deserve anroid

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
the store i work in is running some sorta point collecting card promos and the andoird tablet they provided the hostess with is so incredibly bad that it keeps crashing when people try to register

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

flakeloaf posted:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

google taking pages from the windows phone playbook for their smartwatch strategy

quote:

Google has finally given its new, unified smartwatch platform a name — and it’s an obvious one: Wear OS 3. That little detail was part of what may be a more contentious set of information about which current Wear OS smartwatches will be updated, when those updates will come, and what those updates will entail. On all three of those fronts, it’s not very good news.

Google says that Wear OS 3 updates will start rolling out to a limited set of smartwatches in the “second half of 2022.” That’s quite a long way away, especially since we’re expecting the first Wear OS 3 watches to be announced next month at Samsung’s Unpacked event.

Currently, the list of watches that could get the update “include Mobvoi’s TicWatch Pro 3 GPS, TicWatch Pro 3 Cellular/LTE, TicWatch E3 and follow on TicWatch devices, as well as Fossil Group’s new generation of devices launching later this year,” according to Google’s post.

That leaves a lot of Wear OS watches out, including everything from Fossil and its associated brands. And that list also leaves all of Samsung’s Tizen-based watches out. They’re currently the best option for most Android users, but they now appear to officially have an expiration date.

There’s no other way to put this: for Android users, it’s not a good idea to buy a smartwatch right now. Everything that’s available today either won’t be updated or won’t receive an update until late 2022. It’s the clearest and most direct example of the Osborne effect in recent memory.

And to be even blunter, it may not be a good idea to buy watches that are on that list, as there are further complications with that update. Google says that “in some limited cases, the user experience may be impacted” but declined to elaborate further right now. That could mean a lot of things, but a common experience with any computer is new operating systems feeling slow on older hardware.

In an emailed statement, a spokesperson promised that Google would “provide more details in advance of the update so users can make an informed decision.”
tl;dr, they announced the new better os that will fix everything but it won't work on the majority of shipped hardware

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

phew it will work on my mobvoi ticwatch 3 gps at least!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

qirex posted:

google taking pages from the windows phone playbook for their smartwatch strategy

tl;dr, they announced the new better os that will fix everything but it won't work on the majority of shipped hardware

lol posted:

that list also leaves all of Samsung’s Tizen-based watches out. They’re currently the best option for most Android users

I mean you know your ecosystem is hosed when people are saying that

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lol @ the idea of anyone being an anroid watch person

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

mobvoi ticwatch

careful, you'll get straight up murdered if you call someone that in the balkans

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
mobvoi sounds like one of the eight billion brands you see reselling aliexpress stuff on amazon

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the list of not fully supported models includes tag heuer's $2000 limited edition mario watch that hasn't even shipped yet

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

good because that thing is perfect as is

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

$2000 limited edition mario watch

what?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

$2000 LIMTED EDITION MARIO WATCH

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

qirex posted:

the list of not fully supported models includes tag heuer's $2000 limited edition mario watch that hasn't even shipped yet

holy poo poo this is some kind of matryoshka doll of lols

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bonus lol: it sold out on preorder

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

that looks like something you'd (try and) win from a grabber game at a fair

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

why would i need a running count of how many steps i've taken this year

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

$2000 LIMTED EDITION MARIO WATCH

it is at least a better watch than a richard mille

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

richard mille is the worst new money nine figgie gently caress tacky bullshit. they make a plastic watch [excuse me, “nano-carbon infused polymer”] that costs a quarter mil

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dude's name is literally Dick 1000

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
not as bad as frank mueller or hublot

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
or anything audemars piguet that isn’t based on a genta

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

qirex posted:

can't wait for it to start talking about how much it wants a luigi watch

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Meet you at pipe past mushroom

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

can't wait for it to start talking about how much it wants a luigi watch

a wario watch that can’t keep the time right and makes you late to all your meetings

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

qirex posted:

step counter? wake me when it has an A press counter

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oh gosh, it's already half past

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

can you purchase any android phone that will get security updates in 3 years?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Trabisnikof posted:

can you purchase any android phone that will get security updates in 3 years?

aren’t the pixels sort of guaranteed for about that long

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mediaphage posted:

aren’t the pixels sort of guaranteed for about that long

longest pixel right now is 2 years and 4 months (Pixel 4A 5G) because it’s 3 years of support from release, sadly

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google introduces their own phone soc. they named it Tensor for maximum confusion.

here, google adult supervisor sundar demonstrates that he doesn’t know paper clips come in different sizes.

https://twitter.com/sundarpichai/status/1422228336533676035

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"computing experience" huh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gonna guess it'll beat the a14 in cherry-picked benchmarks but fall short of the a15 in a few months

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

gonna guess it'll beat the a14 in cherry-picked benchmarks but fall short of the a15 in a few months

it’s going to be standard arm cores, don’t expect much of anything there. they will likely be pushing their ml engine hard, they are pretty good at that. the question is whether they find applications for it that people care about.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

carry on then posted:

Google: It destroys the A14 in these 3 benchmarks!
Apple: New iPhones come with the M1X and 8GB of ram lol.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if the benchmark is running android, sure, but The Management is right they'll probably be standard cores

maybe they'll try to tape on some custom chips for that ml? my guess is it'll fall somewhere between discount arm chips and whatever samsung sticks in their galaxies for performance and be limited supply because both of those are eating up production along with apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

google introduces their own phone soc. they named it Tensor for maximum confusion.

here, google adult supervisor sundar demonstrates that he doesn’t know paper clips come in different sizes.

https://twitter.com/sundarpichai/status/1422228336533676035