Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

GRRM came to the bookstore I was working at about a decade ago and someone asked him about the long summers and orbital periods and he was asking if all of this complicated math he did explained how the world could be the way it was and GRRM just said "it's like that because I made it up..."

Up there with George Lucas answering what the gang got up to after RotJ with "they died"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It would definitely help if GRRM explained why his I, Claudius spinoff novel series has weather that makes agriculture and therefore the civilization as a whole literally impossible.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Up there with George Lucas answering what the gang got up to after RotJ with "they died"

Now that the sequel trilogy's done no one can say he was wrong.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

GRRM came to the bookstore I was working at about a decade ago and someone asked him about the long summers and orbital periods and he was asking if all of this complicated math he did explained how the world could be the way it was and GRRM just said "it's like that because I made it up..."

Don’t worry ten years of no books has led to some crazy poo poo

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/oo11tu/spoilers_extended_chapter_6_the_blood_betrayal/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oh yes straight into my loving veins!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Awww here it goes

https://www.vulture.com/amp/2021/07/watch-sandra-oh-stars-in-the-chair-netflix-trailer.html

https://youtu.be/-qtUYe_6Uus

New D&D netflix show.

Poor Sandra Oh. She may actually make the show good, and then D&D will take credit. Ugh.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 22, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Awww here it goes

https://www.vulture.com/amp/2021/07/watch-sandra-oh-stars-in-the-chair-netflix-trailer.html

https://youtu.be/-qtUYe_6Uus

New D&D netflix show.

Poor Sandra Oh. She may actually make the show good, and then D&D will take credit. Ugh.

That does actually sound like a good premise for a show

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Is that just book 6, because I am not reading 1400 pages of fan theories...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

bobjr posted:

How many times did Tolkien interrupt the plot to put in a page description of food

Food? Not often. Some elven wood carvings by a door? That's about half the book.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Is that just book 6, because I am not reading 1400 pages of fan theories...

Fan theories are all we've had for a decade, and all we'll ever have for decades more.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
GRRM owns

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Zzulu posted:

GRRM owns
a lot of empty pizza boxes and boxes of tissue paper festooned with logos for New York football teams.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Is he still painting miniatures in his spare time or what

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mp5 posted:

He’s renovating his house into a pueblo revival style castle and funding a railway restoration and expansion project for his home town with all the money HBO gave him for writing 65% of a story and a napkin scribble ending that two other rubes took the heat for.

GRRM’s living what’s diminishingly left of his best life and don’t give a gently caress no more.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I find I have no animosity towards him at all. Good for you, GRRM. Enjoy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

mp5 posted:

You have it backwards, the spare time is what he uses for writing. He doesn’t have much though, he has lots of hobbies.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Honestly if I were GRRM I wouldn't finish the books either. The man's over 70 and probably not long for this world, I'm content to let him live out his remaining time enjoying the fruits of his labor. We aren't owed anything but I would love it if he'd actually finish them. It won't be the end of the world if he doesn't though, and we might prefer that to a second bad ending anyway

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah I mean good on him

After the way the show treated the material I don't think there's any way people will really be satisfied in the end anyway

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

mp5 posted:

Yeah I mean good on him

After the way the show treated the material I don't think there's any way people will really be satisfied in the end anyway

I mean, you can almost see glimpses of it. They just left out so many important plots like the Targaryen pretenders/Jon Connington and all of Dorne so they didn’t have the right threads to finish the stitch.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yes, he's an old man now. That doesn't really change the fact that he could have just sat down and finished a long time ago. A Storm Of Swords came out in 2000, I don't think writing four books in 21 years is unreasonable assuming you actually sit down and write.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Stephen King would have knocked this thing out in 2 years

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Honestly if I were GRRM I wouldn't finish the books either. The man's over 70 and probably not long for this world, I'm content to let him live out his remaining time enjoying the fruits of his labor. We aren't owed anything but I would love it if he'd actually finish them. It won't be the end of the world if he doesn't though, and we might prefer that to a second bad ending anyway

Maybe I'm just a big entitled baby, but I mostly disagree with this. I don't know if "owes" is necessarily the right word, but when you set out to write a big epic series and just call it quits before finishing, I do feel like you've failed your part in the reader/author relationship. Obviously, in some cases such as when a sickness or death is involved there's not much that can be done and it's regrettable, but here it feels like he just chose not to finish it, and I don't think that's cool at all.

He's a rich and successful failure, and if that's enough for him, then that's fine.

But he did fail.

So in that regard, he's got a lot in common with Benioff and Weiss.

Andrew Verse fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 24, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
At the very least, it's plain deceptive to promise something you have no intention of finishing, and continuing to promise things you know to be a lie is just dickhead poo poo, y'know?

It'ssm just douchey, and I think it's okay to feel that poo poo without implying anything needs to be done about it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I agree that it's a lovely thing to do, it's just at the end of the day he's still written and published five books more than I have so I try to keep my feelings of disappointment in check

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I still think he intends to finish it. He must know at the back of his mind that it's not going to happen but he tells himself otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy has massive anxiety about the whole thing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

he should just release it as youtube lore videos. it would be easier on him and is the primary way most people absorb the story anyways

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Wasabi the J posted:

At the very least, it's plain deceptive to promise something you have no intention of finishing, and continuing to promise things you know to be a lie is just dickhead poo poo, y'know?

It'ssm just douchey, and I think it's okay to feel that poo poo without implying anything needs to be done about it.

Yeah it's like, not cool.

And that's it.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I think his biggest problem is that he decided to write through the timeskip instead of just having the timeskip. It's during this portion that the amount of PoV characters really started ballooning as well. He has a clear endpoint for himself but now he needs to get there in a way that makes sense.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

PostNouveau posted:

You say that, but the last time he tried to write a 7 part epic it wasn't exactly quick.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m of the opinion that he’s actually finished all the books but he’s gonna release them right when he dies.

He doesn’t need the money and if the books totally suck he’ll be dead and won’t know or care how they’re received.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Baron von Eevl posted:

You say that, but the last time he tried to write a 7 part epic it wasn't exactly quick.

Kind of an apples and oranges comparison here, since King was pumping out multiple novels in the intervening years between Dark Tower books. Say what you want about the quality of his late period stuff, the guy is amazingly prolific and consistent in his output.

Gunslinger was published in 82, Drawing of the Three was 86, Waste Lands was 91, Wizard and Glass was 97. The last 3 were released back to back in 03 and 04, which suggests he was working on them while recovering from a serious accident that nearly killed him. Even if the timing had kept up the same cadence as the first four books - i.e add a year to the wait time for the previous book - that would mean King would be publishing the final Dark Tower book this year. Honestly the series would've probably been better that way but c'est la vie.

Meanwhile GRRM has done basically nothing but consulting and vanity projects for the past decade with no substantive new writing to show for it.

I can't blame him for wanting to enjoy his windfall and prioritizing his happiness in his golden years over the demands of fans. It's lame we'll never get to read his version of the ending but in the big scheme of things it makes no difference.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 24, 2021

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don't even care about a full resolution of the series, I just want to read about the Mannis owning the Boltons. Which will likely happen in the first few chapters of the next book. (Before his fall from grace and sacrifice of Shireen, etc etc)

Just give me this. This is all I want.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

There was some thing a few years back where GRRM interviewed or had a discussion with King at some event, and one of the first questions he asked him was something like "how the gently caress are you able to write so much and so fast"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mat Cauthon posted:

Kind of an apples and oranges comparison here, since King was pumping out multiple novels in the intervening years between Dark Tower books. Say what you want about the quality of his late period stuff, the guy is amazingly prolific and consistent in his output.

Gunslinger was published in 82, Drawing of the Three was 86, Waste Lands was 91, Wizard and Glass was 97. The last 3 were released back to back in 03 and 04, which suggests he was working on them while recovering from a serious accident that nearly killed him. Even if the timing had kept up the same cadence as the first four books - i.e add a year to the wait time for the previous book - that would mean King would be publishing the final Dark Tower book this year. Honestly the series would've probably been better that way but c'est la vie.

Meanwhile GRRM has done basically nothing but consulting and vanity projects for the past decade with no substantive new writing to show for it.

I can't blame him for wanting to enjoy his windfall and prioritizing his happiness in his golden years over the demands of fans. It's lame we'll never get to read his version of the ending but in the big scheme of things it makes no difference.

While the first book was published in a single volume in 82, he started it in loving 1970.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There was definitely a time in season 1-2 where a lot of book readers were sure the show would force him to really focus on getting the books out, then by season 3-4 there was more anger/annoyance that the books kept getting delayed, but now I see hardly anyone mad that the books will likely never come out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GRRM’s largest problem is he doesn’t write with any outline and has openly said that knowing the ending bores him which is bad for writing an epic multi part fantasy series that started out as a trilogy and has continually added more books along the way because he doesn’t put limits on himself. Books 4 and 5 (which is effectively just a single installment split in half) don’t even have endings. A good third of the next book will be stuff he never finished for the last two.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

moosecow333 posted:

I’m of the opinion that he’s actually finished all the books but he’s gonna release them right when he dies.

He doesn’t need the money and if the books totally suck he’ll be dead and won’t know or care how they’re received.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

GRRM’s largest problem is he doesn’t write with any outline and has openly said that knowing the ending bores him which is bad for writing an epic multi part fantasy series that started out as a trilogy and has continually added more books along the way because he doesn’t put limits on himself. Books 4 and 5 (which is effectively just a single installment split in half) don’t even have endings. A good third of the next book will be stuff he never finished for the last two.

Wot? :confuoot:

The main POV characters have all been outlined and finished for the last decade or so out to the end and a large portion of the remaining manuscript is finished, but I imagine he is tired of working on the same project for 30+ years...

..but then again: Wildcards. So :iiam:

Scuttlebutt is it will all be destroyed if he dies before it is published.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wot? :confuoot:

The main POV characters have all been outlined and finished for the last decade or so out to the end and a large portion of the remaining manuscript is finished, but I imagine he is tired of working on the same project for 30+ years...

..but then again: Wildcards. So :iiam:

Scuttlebutt is it will all be destroyed if he dies before it is published.

I’m sorry but is this a joke? Because it’s absolutely untrue.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There was some thing a few years back where GRRM interviewed or had a discussion with King at some event, and one of the first questions he asked him was something like "how the gently caress are you able to write so much and so fast"

Kings work ethic is intense. He sits down and does 1000 words each morning. No matter what, he'll churn those words out.

There are some book where it really shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m sorry but is this a joke? Because it’s absolutely untrue.

I mean, he said it in his blog not long after Dances came out so :shrug:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This interview is actually really interesting and worth a viewing if you haven’t seen it!