Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are by far, by far, the biggest most popular wrestlers in the last decade. You'd have be a loving moron to think AEW wouldn't do whatever it took to snap them them up

i think john cena is more popular than both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is there truth to the thing that Turner didn't like surprise debuts on TV? Wonder if that changes anything as to how they'd handle this stuff.

It's not that they don't like surprises they just don't want too many, they want the right things promoted ahead of time, and the right surprises.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

MassRafTer posted:

It's not that they don't like surprises they just don't want too many, they want the right things promoted ahead of time, and the right surprises.

Yeah, it’s this. In the last month Andrade, Malakai Black, Nick Gage and Chavo Guerrero all showed up unannounced, not that those are all the same level of surprise.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/AndradeElIdolo/status/1418598580919668740

Intensely curious about who the hell this iPad holder dude is.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/RealBrittBaker/status/1418758077705293828

Well, that may explain why the match with Nyla wasn’t the most fluid

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pylons posted:

https://twitter.com/AndradeElIdolo/status/1418598580919668740

Intensely curious about who the hell this iPad holder dude is.

That's Tablet Guy. He's going to be the new big thing on here in a few weeks.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Why the gently caress did they bring in Tablet Guy? > You know, Tablet Guy is alright > I like what Tablet Guy is doing > Tablet Guy is the best thing on the show.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Pylons posted:

Why the gently caress did they bring in Tablet Guy? > You know, Tablet Guy is alright > I like what Tablet Guy is doing > Tablet Guy is the best thing on the show.

> sign Tablet Guy BBT

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I wish AEW cared about the tablet guy division

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

StarkRavingMad posted:

oh jeeeeeeeeez

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
With a star as big as Tablet Guy you have to already have him signed. It's just a matter of dropping the Tablet Guy is All Elite at the right moment. You don't want to overshadow the Punk or Bryan news.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Put the trios strap on Hook, Tablet Guy and Alex Abrahantes Coward Tony.

Lethrom fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 24, 2021

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

StarkRavingMad posted:

just think with 2 wrists she could move at 50% speed . . .

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
wish she would have gotten her wrist fixed in the last 2 years

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
okay hear me out here

why not debut the guys the shows BEFORE new York and Chicago? that way you can set them up to actually get to wrestle those nights rather than have them come in, get one big pop then do nothing.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Lid posted:

Someone on reddit did a thing, and if Danielson or Punk amounts to nothing this will forever exist and for that we should be grateful

https://streamable.com/z6vb3p

I was very confused at first because I assumed the name was about Moxley.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

zimbomonkey posted:

okay hear me out here

why not debut the guys the shows BEFORE new York and Chicago? that way you can set them up to actually get to wrestle those nights rather than have them come in, get one big pop then do nothing.

You only get one first appearance, and it's not like Punk (or Bryan) need to wrestle in order to get a monster pop and rating that first night, especially Punk in Chicago.

Plus Punk is new to the company and hasn't paid his dues after having rejected them before and his frankly embarrassing dalliance in MMA. I'd expect that he gets some reps in on Dark against the Fuegos and Rome Hats before he's ready for the main show.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
With how we've seen the fan generation of wrestlers treated like poo poo by wwe I wonder of aew will be around long enough to be the opposite.

Like a kid watching now grows up dreaming to make it to AEW and getting there and it actually fulfilling their idea of being a good place to work at.

My actual fear is what if with enough time AEW becomes what it hates and stays to be like wwe

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Shard posted:

My actual fear is what if with enough time AEW becomes what it hates and stays to be like wwe

It's more likely than not. The amount of plaque build up in Tony's brain from lack of sleep is going to rival Vince one day.

Plus as it gets more successful and larger there's going to be decisions made that change gears from start up to an institution. We're in early season Simpsons at the moment and there's every chance it'll turn into current day Simpsons.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shard posted:

I think TK is far enough from Vince to both A) not become anywhere near that toxic B) plan to take a more passive role to keep himself from burning out as AEW continues. He likes what he's doing now so he does it a lot. At some point, he's going to have the product he wants and take a step back to enjoy it. This is something Vince can never, could never, will never be capable of doing. TK watches a random dark match with Will Hobbs and goes gently caress, that was great, I loved that as a fan of wrestling.

Vince doesn't know who he has signed to NXT.

WWE fell rear end backwards into the market it got and much of the weird, horrible, spiteful things it has done were ultimately negative to their bottom line. A successful wrestling business doesn't have to do those things and doesn't have to become that sort of abomination.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Vince never even liked wrestling while Tony is an enormous mark (in a good way).

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Stay gold Tonyboy

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Stay gold Tonyboy

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Tony’s also the same age now as Vince was at Wrestlemania I. Plenty of time to have an entirely different professional trajectory.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Tony’s also the same age now as Vince was at Wrestlemania I. Plenty of time to have an entirely different professional trajectory.

wow this is a really interesting way to look at it

also im sure if someone told vince this he'd have an aneurysm on the spot

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

or like many wealthy elderly, his paranoid grip on his money will turn Tony Khan in an even weirder monster.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

zimbomonkey posted:

okay hear me out here

Let me rephrase a different way. I am going to the Charlotte show and I would very much like to see Daniel Bryan and then he gets to wrestle in New York like he loves to do. Tony please do this for me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

interesting that she's with Paige Van Zant, who recently talked about being open to going to WWE, which presumably means she's open to transitioning from MMA to professional wrestling...

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Finally decided that since I could not get All Out tickets (and will not shell out secondary market prices) that I will treat myself to both the Dynamite and Rampage tapings that week and ended up being able to get the same seat for both. It delights me.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
To be fair a lot of Vince's worst traits have always been there. He was booking people in the most vindictive and petty ways he could think of in the 80's, he was always obsessed with big guys at the expense of the guys who could actually wrestle, he always had a tendency to change course and drop things on a whim (ie; the whole Lex Express thing, changing his mind and having Bret lose to Yokozuna at the last minute, etc), and he was always desperate to make WWE into a main stream pop culture empire out of some deep-seeded embarrassment of being a wrestling guy or whatever. Those bad habits were always there, they just slowly got worse and worse and worse as he get older and delegated less and less until it reached the point that he seems borderline senile while still micromanaging every single little thing the entire billion dollar corporation days all day every day.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I wouldn't take this seriously and until I see the real deal showing up in person (or at least a proper tease video from AEW) but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ChsK39DLkA

Wrestlelamia isn't a fiable source, they just throw up videos around.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Drakkel posted:

To be fair a lot of Vince's worst traits have always been there. He was booking people in the most vindictive and petty ways he could think of in the 80's, he was always obsessed with big guys at the expense of the guys who could actually wrestle, he always had a tendency to change course and drop things on a whim (ie; the whole Lex Express thing, changing his mind and having Bret lose to Yokozuna at the last minute, etc), and he was always desperate to make WWE into a main stream pop culture empire out of some deep-seeded embarrassment of being a wrestling guy or whatever. Those bad habits were always there, they just slowly got worse and worse and worse as he get older and delegated less and less until it reached the point that he seems borderline senile while still micromanaging every single little thing the entire billion dollar corporation days all day every day.

Yeah, the difference between Vince and Big Bicep Tony is that Vince's default mode of operations makes for a lovely product whereas TK's makes for a good one.

Like, the few times that Vince has delivered a good product was when his back was literally up against the wall, whereas AEW has been consistently good to great from day one and also very quick to change or weed out things that don't work.

E: I suppose that in twenty years when AEW reigns unchallenged on the top of the mountain we might see TK go mad with power and the product go to poo poo, but that's a bridge we'll have to cross when we get to it.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 24, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i agree that cm punk's return match should be on dark

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

CM Punk should return on AEW main programming. That’s right, ChocoPro

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CM Punk booked in intergender matches on Dark. Do it BBT.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m now imagining Daniel Bryan in ChocoPro & enjoying the mental image. He would probably love it

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Punk working Dark until he's ready for Dynamite is a truly insane take.

I wonder who Brian and Punk's first programs will be against though. I feel like Punk and Will Hobbs might happen because Punk said he wants to work with him. Not sure about Brian though

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Cavauro posted:

i agree that cm punk's return match should be on dark

His first feud against Deathmatch Legend LUTHER

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bring in Punk, have him job to somebody who is actually over. That's right, I'm of course talking about Fuego del Sol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If you didn't watch Elevation last week, you missed Luther screaming "POCKETS!" and unsuccessfully attempting to stuff his own hands into Orange Cassidy's pockets.

Between that and Sting, lots of good OC comedy this week.