Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

coldpudding posted:

Don't do what I did and let your mig wire go rusty in the machine :doh: I had a hell of a time getting my old mans flux core welder working again after that.

I have had a lot more spare time on my hands lately so I decided to have a go at welding together a reclining computer chair,

It goes all the way back, not pictured here is a scissor jack that gets installed in the base to adjust the deck angle,

It's primed and ready for paint and upholstering.

Nice sex chair. Incorporate cuffs and start selling copies for 2k a piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I was thinking it had more of a Yellow Mamma vibe and would be at home in any deep south state penitentiary.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

coldpudding posted:

Don't do what I did and let your mig wire go rusty in the machine :doh: I had a hell of a time getting my old mans flux core welder working again after that.

I have had a lot more spare time on my hands lately so I decided to have a go at welding together a reclining computer chair,

It goes all the way back, not pictured here is a scissor jack that gets installed in the base to adjust the deck angle,

It's primed and ready for paint and upholstering.

EDIT: personally I'd take the spool out and bag it if I was going to store the machine for more than a couple months but I live in a pretty humid place near the ocean.VVVVVV

this is gonna be another one for the Goon Projects list, isn't it

proposal: i will weld up a nice metal computer chair
reality: a goon ends up in a full-body cast after inadvertently creating a human-sized bear trap

i'm sure it will look fine when upholstered, just keep your fingers clear

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol I'd have to beef it up and switch to stainless steel or at least a heavy powder coating if I was gonna start doing that, can't have angry folks returning rusty broken chairs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This MIG poo poo’s amazing. Spent a little while just screwing around on some old tube steel I had lying around and eventually got them looking like these:

There’s obviously a newbie’s unsteady hand at work here, I need to figure out my pace and then learn to maintain it, but aside from that, any feedback? Any idea why I often have that little “pop” at the end of the bead?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

coldpudding posted:

Lol I'd have to beef it up and switch to stainless steel or at least a heavy powder coating if I was gonna start doing that, can't have angry folks returning rusty broken chairs.

According to the thread title, anodization is the way to go.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

coldpudding posted:

Hot dip galvanize for the texture.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

This MIG poo poo’s amazing. Spent a little while just screwing around on some old tube steel I had lying around and eventually got them looking like these:

There’s obviously a newbie’s unsteady hand at work here, I need to figure out my pace and then learn to maintain it, but aside from that, any feedback? Any idea why I often have that little “pop” at the end of the bead?

Yea mig is really cool. At my old job we used it for non critical stuff so it was just like a metal glue gun.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bad Munki posted:

Someone who is better at welding will probably know what thats actually from, but IIRC, when that happens using a stick welder its because you're pulling away too quickly at the end of the bead.

For a mig, maybe try stopping your feed before you pull the gun away?

Nice beads by the way, are you using gas or flux?

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Bad Munki posted:

The crater at the end of the bead can be minimized/eliminated by pausing for a bit at the end of the weld before stopping the arc. The amount to pause is a bit of trial and error but 1-2sec is a good starting point. This is true for pretty much every weld process though with TIG you have more options involving ramping down the arc current.

Do note that if you are planning on continuing the weld and are just stopping to reset position or something, you would not do the crater fill pause. The crater would be filled when you walk the puddle back over the end of the previous bead at the start of the next one. If you fill the crater, when you weld the next bead, you will have either a bump of excess weld or an area of poor penetration.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Nice beads by the way, are you using gas or flux?

C25, with the feed and current settings listed on the panel on the welder for this material/process, it’s as close to an easy button as I can imagine.

ZincBoy posted:

The crater at the end of the bead can be minimized/eliminated by pausing for a bit at the end of the weld before stopping the arc. The amount to pause is a bit of trial and error but 1-2sec is a good starting point. This is true for pretty much every weld process though with TIG you have more options involving ramping down the arc current.

Do note that if you are planning on continuing the weld and are just stopping to reset position or something, you would not do the crater fill pause. The crater would be filled when you walk the puddle back over the end of the previous bead at the start of the next one. If you fill the crater, when you weld the next bead, you will have either a bump of excess weld or an area of poor penetration.

Awesome, thanks!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ZincBoy posted:

\ The crater would be filled when you walk the puddle back over the end of the previous bead at the start of the next one. If you fill the crater, when you weld the next bead, you will have either a bump of excess weld or an area of poor penetration.

So when you reposition yourself, you start at the end of the previous bead, go backwards to cover it (the crater) up, then "forwards" to continue the bead down the line?
Rather than just starting the next bead by overlapping a half inch or so?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

So when you reposition yourself, you start at the end of the previous bead, go backwards to cover it (the crater) up, then "forwards" to continue the bead down the line?

I remember in the shipyard we were supposed to grind out the crater before starting the next pass, but that was aluminum and it cracks like crazy, especially from the little divot in the center of the crater.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I remember in the shipyard we were supposed to grind out the crater before starting the next pass, but that was aluminum and it cracks like crazy, especially from the little divot in the center of the crater.

Neat example of how Radii cause stress concentrations IRL.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Essentially, yes. This comes from what I was taught for stick welding mild steel. It is more important with stick welding as the arc takes time to get established. If done right, you can't see the point where the beads overlap at all. If done wrong, the stop/start point will fail during a bend test.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That makes sense to me. All of my limited aluminum welding experience has been using TIG and you can avoid craters just by ramping the current at the end of the pass.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

When a lathe guy decides to flex:

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
So if i wanted to make a pressed brass broach using (probably 3d Printed, possibly wooden) dies - what thickness of brass sheet should i be thinking of and how much clearance between the 2 halves of the die should i shoot for?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

shame on an IGA posted:

When a lathe guy decides to flex:

what are these called? gonna try to print one

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Double thread?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4883091

I remember my dad having a funny looking… uh… thrusting.. screwdriver that used the same principal

Yep, still exists, still hilariously dodgy: https://youtu.be/5SFpVM1oDuY

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 13, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ghostnuke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v96LTfmtDPU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Make a double thread version of this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

has anyone used an induction heater before? seems like they don't have enough heat for forging

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
They get hot enough to forge weld.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyone got a recommendation on a ring roller? The cheapo harbor freight one apparently likes to roll them skewed, based on the reviews, but I don’t want to drop a grand to make circles.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

threelemmings posted:

They get hot enough to forge weld.

well that's good to know, they seem a lot more practical than propane forges. Do you know any specifics? I'm hoping to build one.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone got a recommendation on a ring roller? The cheapo harbor freight one apparently likes to roll them skewed, based on the reviews, but I don’t want to drop a grand to make circles.

Harbor freight ring roller. Shim until it doesn't roll them skewed. Serious answer. The bits on the end that adjust the thickness/curvature were RADICALLY different batches of casting/machining and were not matched in any way at all. Even half-assed shimming with washers made it "eeh good enough" in short order.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Ghostnuke posted:

well that's good to know, they seem a lot more practical than propane forges. Do you know any specifics? I'm hoping to build one.

Not in particular, unfortunately, which is why I didn't offer much. The three takeaways I know in general is they seem to be a bit power hungry, depending on how the coils are built it can limit what you forge, and that they heat from the outside in so you have to watch your settings to make sure you don't melt the outside before the inside is hot. There's ways around how you build the coil as far as I know. The power part is somewhat hard to pin down, I've seen numbers between $30 and 50 a month for hobbyist use, which seems high given how I'd estimate fuel at the places I've worked full time. But that's all based on occasional forums posts I come across, and having seen one run just for novelty. Never worked in one.

If you get one running please report back!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

threelemmings posted:

Not in particular, unfortunately, which is why I didn't offer much. The three takeaways I know in general is they seem to be a bit power hungry, depending on how the coils are built it can limit what you forge, and that they heat from the outside in so you have to watch your settings to make sure you don't melt the outside before the inside is hot. There's ways around how you build the coil as far as I know. The power part is somewhat hard to pin down, I've seen numbers between $30 and 50 a month for hobbyist use, which seems high given how I'd estimate fuel at the places I've worked full time. But that's all based on occasional forums posts I come across, and having seen one run just for novelty. Never worked in one.

If you get one running please report back!

yeah, I'll build one if it's at all possible really. even if it uses a bunch of power it's still a ton easier than propane and storing multiple tanks.

I'd have to build the propane forge too, so I might as well build an electric one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Harbor freight ring roller. Shim until it doesn't roll them skewed. Serious answer. The bits on the end that adjust the thickness/curvature were RADICALLY different batches of casting/machining and were not matched in any way at all. Even half-assed shimming with washers made it "eeh good enough" in short order.

Okay, I’m not opposed to going the “get a likely flawed one and fix it” if that’s actually viable. I was wary of the flaws being intractable, but if that’s not the case, cool beans.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Harbor Freight ring roller rolls rings just fine for my needs, thanks.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

yeah, I'll build one if it's at all possible really. even if it uses a bunch of power it's still a ton easier than propane and storing multiple tanks.

I'd have to build the propane forge too, so I might as well build an electric one.

just ordered some very large power supplies, should have over 4000w each

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

has anyone used an induction heater before? seems like they don't have enough heat for forging

is 1050c hot enough?

https://youtu.be/zDIydScmQmI

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you search youtube for "induction forging" like the first dozen results are about blacksmithing with an induction forge and/or using an induction wand in blacksmithing processes. It looks pretty cool!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I'm a bit concerned now, I bought a power supply that'll top out around 4kw. but from what I can tell, all the commercial models are like 15?

I bought this one based on the PCB I'm building topping out around 3k.

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 27, 2021

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm a bit concerned now, I bought a power supply that'll top out around 4kw. but from what I can tell, all the commercial models are like 15?

I bought this one based on the PCB I'm building topping out around 3k.

nevermind, just saw a video of a dude doing it with one at half the power planned

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thought some of you might enjoy this. Timestamped for the final reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlcNR215TFY&t=809s

You can even buy the kit: https://www.pmmodelengines.com/shop/machine-tools/machine-models/engine-lathe-kit/

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Hello thread, just caught up on the last 6500 posts!
Awesome seeing the progress of His Divine Shadow's shop/mill, shout out to Yooper, Ambrose Burnside and Honda whisperer (and many many others) for awesome content.

Expect quite a few posts from me over the coming weeks on the saga of getting a shop set up in the Caribbean. 3 months of machine hunting, tomorrow is the day my bank account takes the first of many hits. I expect it to take 3-4 weeks to get the machines to my door. Plenty of time to make a big enough hole in the shop to fit em in!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

fins posted:

Hello thread, just caught up on the last 6500 posts!
Awesome seeing the progress of His Divine Shadow's shop/mill, shout out to Yooper, Ambrose Burnside and Honda whisperer (and many many others) for awesome content.

Expect quite a few posts from me over the coming weeks on the saga of getting a shop set up in the Caribbean. 3 months of machine hunting, tomorrow is the day my bank account takes the first of many hits. I expect it to take 3-4 weeks to get the machines to my door. Plenty of time to make a big enough hole in the shop to fit em in!

Hi dude.

Looking forward to hearing about your evolving shop. What market are you targeting? Or is it just general job shop stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TIL someone has to hand file new edges on the hurricane hunter planes' prop blades between every flight because they take so much impact damage

https://twitter.com/NOAA_HurrHunter...ingawful.com%2F