Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Wanna was a bene gesserit. If she happened to be an imprinter then maybe taking away Yueh's god-tier slampiece was what broke him.

All I Wanna do is zoom-zoom-zoom-zoom and a boom-boom.
- Suc Doctor, probably

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Hasselblad posted:

All I Wanna do is zoom-zoom-zoom-zoom and a boom-boom.
- Suc Doctor, probably

Oh yueh :haw:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Bene Gesserit are also involved in keeping track of the noble lineages which by extension means the inheritances, similar to Roman vestals, and in a feudal society that by itself grants an enormous amount of power and privilege.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
One thing that gets kind of ...glossed over/overshadowed by other events is that the BG had a millennia long project completely just hosed all the poo poo up like a few decades from completion.

Jessica was supposed to have borne a female child, and then she would be bred to a Harkohnen. (Feyd, I think?)

and then THAT child would have been the KH. Raised, educated, and controlled by the BG.

Paul was very powerful in his own right, but he had to have been a failed KH. Very very close, though. Of course, the question is, was Paul, or Leto a KH, at all?

After all, while the BG were arrogant enough to assume they "knew" what a KH would be, ...did they really? One had never existed before.

Centuries, upon centuries of work, and it all gets a spanner thrown in the works starting with Jessica's act of rebellion with producing a male child.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cancer posted:

And Thufir doesn't really do anything to promote distrust and rivalry between Feyd and the Baron, it's already there. Pretty sure Baron killed his predecessor to gain the position and the only reason Feyd isn't gunning for it harder is because Barons got no kids and named him a successor.

He gets feyd to assassinate the baron then tells the baron about the plot

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Johnny Aztec posted:

Centuries, upon centuries of work, and it all gets a spanner thrown in the works starting with Jessica's act of rebellion with producing a male child.
It's more like an act of love, the one thing the BG were absolutely blind to in their hubris.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

One thing that gets kind of ...glossed over/overshadowed by other events is that the BG had a millennia long project completely just hosed all the poo poo up like a few decades from completion.

Jessica was supposed to have borne a female child, and then she would be bred to a Harkohnen. (Feyd, I think?)

and then THAT child would have been the KH. Raised, educated, and controlled by the BG.

Paul was very powerful in his own right, but he had to have been a failed KH. Very very close, though. Of course, the question is, was Paul, or Leto a KH, at all?

After all, while the BG were arrogant enough to assume they "knew" what a KH would be, ...did they really? One had never existed before.

The BG have a fairly strict interpretation of what a KH is, and Paul fits the description, he has access to both male and female Other Memory. In Heretics and Chapterhouse they frequently refer to Paul as the KH, and Leto II is simply the Tyrant- something beyond even the KH. KH isn’t like, a level you reach in an RPG, the KH was a specific individual. It was only after Paul that people started considering creating another one (i.e. Duncan)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

sebmojo posted:

He gets feyd to assassinate the baron then tells the baron about the plot

They are Harks they were gonna do it anyways :shrug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Also wasn't Count Fenring described as a failed KH too, Paul looked at him and checked his power levels in the end of dune

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Also wasn't Count Fenring described as a failed KH too, Paul looked at him and checked his power levels in the end of dune

Hasimir Fenrig also vibing with Paul about being used by BG is such a bromance moment. Lmao, eat poo poo Shaddam send Sting to fight with the demigod I was failed to become.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
A group I'm has some folks pretty mad about how there aren't enough (any?) Arab actors in this movie set 25,000 years in the future.

Are we mad about that here?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

A group I'm has some folks pretty mad about how there aren't enough (any?) Arab actors in this movie set 25,000 years in the future.

*checks current recreational outrage notes with a concerned expression *

What does your heart tell you?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
i'm so mad i'm going to cum any minute now

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I don't have time to be mad about that; I'm too busy being mad at the people who are mad at lady-kynes, cos clearly this movie has a shortage of strong, sad, ruggedly handsome bearded men. Just so mad

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hasselblad posted:

have you seen anyone mad about it here?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

skasion posted:

latter-day Bene Gesserit the nuns at the top are all overbred hyperintelligent hypnotic sex gods who can do kung fu

Lucilla does a backflip off a third story parapet, redirecting herself off a drainage pipe outlet that she remmebered was there so she can more quickly tear-rear end after a ghola assassin that was after their Dunc ghola.

Odrade literally echolocates with a high pitched whistle when she falls into Leto's ancient spice stockpile cave.

e: in case it wasn't clear I want a BG girl to kick my balls so hard I shift into a higher level of awareness

Murray Mantoinette fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 24, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't have time to be mad about that; I'm too busy being mad at the people who are mad at lady-kynes, cos clearly this movie has a shortage of strong, sad, ruggedly handsome bearded men. Just so mad

people mad about lady liet ought to consider drowning in piss

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

I haven't read the entire thread; I am only human and can only read so fast.

Hasselblad posted:

My heart tells me that 25,000 years in the future the people keeping score will be long dead, but I have to deal with these people.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Word.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The piss of ibad

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

sebmojo posted:

The piss of ibad

That's bad water discipline.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fuschia tude posted:

That's bad water discipline.

The residual highly-processed metabolic pastes of ibad?

E: may they be forever stored in the thigh pouches of the Saitan

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
*Twenty goons piss into a well, nearby Fremen gasp in awe and whisper among themselves* They give water to the dead!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Admiralty Flag posted:

It's more like an act of love, the one thing the BG were absolutely blind to in their hubris.

It seems odd this wasn't the standard rather than the exception really. This vast galactic conspiracy entirely dependent on absolutely no one at any point siding with their spouses or children over their boarding school.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

It seems odd this wasn't the standard rather than the exception really. This vast galactic conspiracy entirely dependent on absolutely no one at any point siding with their spouses or children over their boarding school.

Considering the default for BG was basically the fate of noble women in a feudal system with possibly less dying from childbirth, complete with arranged marriages/concubine status to arbitrary noblemen and pumping out heirs for the sake of flowcharts, I imagine that wasn't particularly common, and Jessica and Leto's relationship was a big exception to the rule.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Considering the default for BG was basically the fate of noble women in a feudal system with possibly less dying from childbirth, complete with arranged marriages/concubine status to arbitrary noblemen and pumping out heirs for the sake of flowcharts, I imagine that wasn't particularly common, and Jessica and Leto's relationship was a big exception to the rule.

It was such an exception that they still referred to it as the Jessica Crime by the time of Chapterhouse

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

It was such an exception that they still referred to it as the Jessica Crime by the time of Chapterhouse

"history will call us crimes"?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
History will take my wife, please

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Historeez Nuts

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Bloop posted:

Historeez Nuts

Salusa Sugondese

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bofa Gizzertits

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
History will call us Real Housewives of Arrakis

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Regarde Aduck posted:

No, and I did not see it in my list either.

Would it shock me? Not in the least.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 24, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Odrade literally echolocates with a high pitched whistle when she falls into Leto's ancient spice stockpile cave.

That's something that people can actually learn to do.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I'm gonna go try this!

*walks into a cave*

*whistles and listens*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

tinnitus lolol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm gonna go try this!

*walks into a cave*

*whistles and listens*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
*Swarmed by a thousand zubats*

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

The Bloop posted:

*Swarmed by a thousand zubats*

*swarmed by a thousand feral distrans bats*

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I only watched the trailer once but the flashes of open sand combat and armored paul remind me of the moon combat flashback from Battle Angel :3:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The CG tracking of Paul's golden stillsuit armour helmet is the only thing that bothers me about the trailer, and the more I think about it, it _really_ bothers me. You'd think that tech would be a bit better in 2021. I suspect it's Paul's prescience seeing his jihad and not an actual battle taking place until pt. 2, so hopefully they have some time to refine it by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Mister Speaker posted:

The CG tracking of Paul's golden stillsuit armour helmet is the only thing that bothers me about the trailer, and the more I think about it, it _really_ bothers me. You'd think that tech would be a bit better in 2021. I suspect it's Paul's prescience seeing his jihad and not an actual battle taking place until pt. 2, so hopefully they have some time to refine it by then.

Can someone remind me of what point in the book Paul was wearing actual armor?