Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jedit posted:

My sister's grandfather had been an Army major in the last days of the Raj and had acquired a great fondness for curry, but he would never darken the door of a curry house here because what they served wasn't to his mind curry at all. He prided himself on making his own curries from scratch using the traditional Indian recipes.

What the English call curry usually means tikka masala or the local variant of vindaloo, both of which were invented in the UK by immigrants in the 70s using the ingredients they had available.

Adding tomato soup, yoghurt and cream to tikka masala wasn't that big a deal. There are "traditional indian recipes" which have a dairy/coconut base for a similar effect.

The word basically just means sauce, I can see where you're coming from, but what's a traditional indian recipe? We didn't even have chillis and tomatos over there until a few hundred years ago. Each town and city has wildly different curries. My mom and aunts can't even agree on what their recipe is I'm not sure how your sister's grandfather managed to get a hold of the One Recipe to rule them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I'm not sure how your sister's grandfather managed to get a hold of the One Recipe to rule them all.

colonialism

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

kecske posted:

It's Chinese currently, Indian food just edges #1 in Scotland boring source

no way burgers are that low

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

no way burgers are that low

Is it anyone's favourite takeaway though? The ones that you're more likely to have pissed on a night out are a lot lower (also sushi for some reason - is that really a takeaway?) - but I reckon most people see Chinese as a treat. At least for me growing up it was the takeaway - everything else was a stopgap between succulent Chinese meals.

Also who are these 13% pretending they're above takeaways? Pricks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

stev posted:

Tory boomers.

There are a lot of villages in the U.K. denied takeaways by NIMBY twats on village councils - See amongst the middle class Tory boomers there is a rock solid belief that “the smell” will drive house prices down. This isn’t even a dogwhistle, they don’t want fish and chip shops either. The suburban version of them won’t drive into the poor areas where the take outs are, and they won’t order in, and that is because of racism.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
If you want a truly deep dive into curry culture you should read the last few pages of the Shadow Hearts Covenant thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883446&pagenumber=94&perpage=40

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I have takeaway like once every 2 months or so, but it's because I'm cheap and trying to stay thin not any moral judgement

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Takeaways are way more expensive than they used to be, they’re 100% not cheap food to feed ‘lazy poor people’. I could see a solid chunk of that 13% being “because I can’t afford the loving things now that a bag of chips is £3.50”

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/NewsForAllUK/status/1418558509285842944?s=20

This thug and his prankster friends belong in prison for years.
I hate how a load of the comments on that video are from people outraged that none of the male bystanders stepped in. Being able to get into a scrap at a moments notice is a trait you can't expect from anyone apart from men with toxic masculinity. It should not be an expectation that just because you're male you should be ready for physical violence at the drop of a hat.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So pranks now are just filming yourself doing crimes? Is the prank on the lawyer?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I've never ordered a takeaway just for myself, literally only when I've been round someone's house and they suggested it

it's not that I don't like it or think I'm above it, I'd just rather buy a pizza from Sainsbury's for like a third of the price and spend the rest on snacks and booze

something about waiting for food and then dealing with people just really stressed me out more than its worth

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just walk round the corner to the Chinese place tbh.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hey, quick electrics/wiring question.

Replacing the green downlight unit, but it has twice as many wires as there are places to put wires in the new one. Why is this and how do I resolve it? Did I just buy the wrong thing or can I make it work?

Cheers comrades.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

XMNN posted:

I've never ordered a takeaway just for myself, literally only when I've been round someone's house and they suggested it

it's not that I don't like it or think I'm above it, I'd just rather buy a pizza from Sainsbury's for like a third of the price and spend the rest on snacks and booze

something about waiting for food and then dealing with people just really stressed me out more than its worth

sometimes when my wife is out working or whatever and i really cant be bothered with life i fill out a form on the internet and a pizza arrives at my door, it is truely magic

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I saw a tweet the other day from an American saying something like "lol groceries aren't cheaper than take-out". Which if you're single, and with their slave-labour food service wages and high supermarket prices/food deserts, could actually be true. Just a bit mind-blowing when you live in Europe where it's the other way round.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobstar posted:

I saw a tweet the other day from an American saying something like "lol groceries aren't cheaper than take-out". Which if you're single, and with their slave-labour food service wages and high supermarket prices/food deserts, could actually be true. Just a bit mind-blowing when you live in Europe where it's the other way round.

Me and my wife easily spend £30+ on a Chinese, but that's a massive dinner each plus a massive lunch each the next day. Cooking the equivalent dishes ourselves would cost a similar amount and wouldn't be nearly as nice or satisfying. Actual proper home cooking is ridiculously expensive these days.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Hey, quick electrics/wiring question.

Replacing the green downlight unit, but it has twice as many wires as there are places to put wires in the new one. Why is this and how do I resolve it? Did I just buy the wrong thing or can I make it work?

Cheers comrades.

Is that a power thru connection that goes on to the next downlighter - do you have multiple ones?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

stev posted:

I just have the one (statistically average) prick and i haven't eaten takeaway in 25 years or so.

Apart from price i find nothing wrong with eating fish & chips, pizza, Indian or Chinese takeaway.

Never in my 50+ years have i partaken of KFC, Burger King or McDonalds and i see no point in changing that

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
£30 quid on a 2 person takeaway, wtf?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Just Another Lurker posted:

Never in my 50+ years have i partaken of KFC, Burger King or McDonalds and i see no point in changing that

Same, except for an absence of prick. I do have other takeaways when they're part of a social event. At other times I feel as though I should be less lazy and cook healthy green veg. This doesn't actually make me cook healthy green veg mind you.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

JollyBoyJohn posted:

£30 quid on a 2 person takeaway, wtf?

Easily done with the likes of Chinese or Indian, but there’s usually leftovers for lunch the day after.

Where I am 2 large chicken kebabs, 2 small chips, service and delivery charge will set you back £26.50.

Worth it though, god it hits the spot.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

Takeaways are way more expensive than they used to be, they’re 100% not cheap food to feed ‘lazy poor people’. I could see a solid chunk of that 13% being “because I can’t afford the loving things now that a bag of chips is £3.50”

For me at least it's this. Well, that & living in a village where the only takeaway is a chip van that comes on Tuesday & the queue for it is far too long for me to bother trying it. Pizza Hut & Dominos don't deliver this far out of town & boy do I really miss getting a massive stuffed crust pizza delivered to my door.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bobstar posted:

Is that a power thru connection that goes on to the next downlighter - do you have multiple ones?

Yeah, there are six (five of which have died hence the replacements)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You have been visited by LENNEL, the spirit of loop-in loop-out wiring.

I'd guess the old colours are going to the consumer unit and the new colours to the next recessed fixture. You can just use a lighting rose to replicate that instead.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Adding tomato soup, yoghurt and cream to tikka masala wasn't that big a deal. There are "traditional indian recipes" which have a dairy/coconut base for a similar effect.

Oh yeah just to add to this, it's perfectly normal in Indian cuisine to add such ingredients that moderate the heat, and then serve the chillis as a side to crush into the food as desired, though this is mostly done for children, old people, people with digestive issues or even just people who don't like heat, it's not like everyone in India is going around taking spicy food challenges.

If you served a proper British chicken tikka masala to someone in India, they might just ask for more spice that's all, or to replace the chicken with paneer.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 24, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A Chinese or more realistically Vietnamese takeaway here is about 80 CHF (£60) for two people. Really not worth it. Pizza is a bit better at about 40 bucks but I just make my own nowadays.

Groceries are also ridiculously expensive but not quite as disproportionately so as restaurants / takeaways.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

You have been visited by LENNEL, the spirit of loop-in loop-out wiring.

I'd guess the old colours are going to the consumer unit and the new colours to the next recessed fixture. You can just use a lighting rose to replicate that instead.

Seems about right, I want to keep with downlights though instead of any dangly poo poo (and also to not have to mess about with the holes that are already in my ceiling)

Can I convert from this setup to the new units somehow or do I need to buy lennel-compatible downlights and just do a like for like replacement?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

There's a Chinese takeaway near me that does a really large portion of whatever dish you ordered and cheaply as well.

For about £5.50 I can get a good couple of meals out of the one portion.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Seems about right, I want to keep with downlights though instead of any dangly poo poo (and also to not have to mess about with the holes that are already in my ceiling)

Can I convert from this setup to the new units somehow or do I need to buy lennel-compatible downlights and just do a like for like replacement?
You could put something like in your ceiling which will do in/out and a short length of twin and earth for the lighting fixture, assuming that you can get something like that in your ceiling. Or the more modern type that aren't from the 70s which are better for tight spaces.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's a chippie/kebab place right on the top corner of my road, where I walk past it every single day, and it's cheap and generous with portions, but I don't like the chips. To me there's a soapy taste - not sure if they're putting coreander in the oil or some drat thing, because I'm one of those who can't stand coreander. It's cash-only and every year or so it shuts down, claims to be under new management, rearranges the furniture and then re-opens and it's the same people in there, so I assume it's a tax dodge of some sort. Nice burgers though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Oh yeah just to add to this, it's perfectly normal in Indian cuisine to add such ingredients that moderate the heat, and then serve the chillis as a side to crush into the food as desired, though this is mostly done for children, old people, people with digestive issues or even just people who don't like heat, it's not like everyone in India is going around taking spicy food challenges.

If you served a proper British chicken tikka masala to someone in India, they might just ask for more spice that's all, or to replace the chicken with paneer.

My cousin's Indian father in law complains about the family making the food too mild every time my cousin visits and apparently last time at the dinner table ended up sulking and eating raw chillis and lemons

My cousin is a total wuss for spice but their little kid now eats raw chillies too lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My fav takeaway is a Chinese place called "Rice Bowl's" which is already a strong start

All the Chinese food is horrendous but the salt and chilli fried beige crap is amazing

There are much better takeaways nearby but that's the one with the perfected salt spice ratio to addict me

E Indian is the by far superior takeaway imo its just good Indians are hard to come by, mediocre bland Chinese is a lot better than mediocre bland Indian.

I used to live right next door to an amazing one called Bhindis in Brighton and its completely spoiled me for the last 10 years since moving away

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 24, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

forkboy84 posted:

living in a village where the only takeaway is a chip van that comes on Tuesday

whats the weather like on the faroe islands

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

sebzilla posted:

LENNEL just stands for Live Earth Neutral and then the same again in reverse :)

I am not a UK domestic electrician (IANAUKDE) but this page has a suggestion on what to do when your downlight only has an input connection

https://www.downlights.co.uk/faq-wire-light-switch.html

Scroll down to "Lighting Circuits – Loop In, Loop Out" and look at the link for a Click Flow connector

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

tbh I'd just twist the pairs together and daisy chain from one to another instead of trying to introduce additional hardware into the ceiling void. Is that new one also led or is it just a lampholder in an enclosure?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
I'm on the train going to get my second vaccine and the only people wearing masks are me and the conductor

No idea why cases are now in the tens of thousands per day again, must be that bloody app!!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Delta is gonna gently caress our poo poo up lol

Vaccine's kicking my arse right now but gently caress if I'm not glad I didn't get it any later

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

You could put something like in your ceiling which will do in/out and a short length of twin and earth for the lighting fixture, assuming that you can get something like that in your ceiling. Or the more modern type that aren't from the 70s which are better for tight spaces.

Ah, that makes sense to me. So if I got hold of half a dozen of these suckers it's then just a case of putting the two existing cables in from one side, a short length for the new fitting out the other side, and connecting them all up in the middle with those little clamps? I can do that.

kecske posted:

tbh I'd just twist the pairs together and daisy chain from one to another instead of trying to introduce additional hardware into the ceiling void. Is that new one also led or is it just a lampholder in an enclosure?

Yeah I wondered about doing that initially (seems to be the procedure for sockets etc.) but it'd be safer to use a little junction box, right? Although I suppose it's the same thing just inside the unit itself. The new lights are just GU10 holders in a case, yeah. Don't want to have to go through all this bollocks again the next time they die, much rather just replace a bulb!

Thanks for the advice, both of you :)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

My cousin's Indian father in law complains about the family making the food too mild every time my cousin visits and apparently last time at the dinner table ended up sulking and eating raw chillis and lemons

My cousin is a total wuss for spice but their little kid now eats raw chillies too lol

Raw chillies are surprisingly sweet and crisp if they're fresh enough, especially red ones. They're still hot obviously, I just mean if you're used to spicy food you'll be surprised at how munchable they are if you first try one and it's fresh.

Pickled chilli is a great side too for that kinda situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bobstar posted:

It's also the case in large chunks of Asia - the reason that say in Singapore everyone goes to eat street food regularly (including families and such) is that it's as cheap as or cheaper than cooking at home. Of course, Singapore also has lots of problems with cheap exploited labour...