Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Ah, that makes sense to me. So if I got hold of half a dozen of these suckers it's then just a case of putting the two existing cables in from one side, a short length for the new fitting out the other side, and connecting them all up in the middle with those little clamps? I can do that.

Yeah I wondered about doing that initially (seems to be the procedure for sockets etc.) but it'd be safer to use a little junction box, right? Although I suppose it's the same thing just inside the unit itself. The new lights are just GU10 holders in a case, yeah. Don't want to have to go through all this bollocks again the next time they die, much rather just replace a bulb!
There's technically nothing stopping you twisting and mounting in that crown block in your new fixture, but yeah any terminal block should be fine for low current lighting use, all lighting connectors are massively overengineered now because they were designed to run a few 60W heatglobes instead of 7W LEDs.

I'm not personally a fan of just twisting wires for the same reason I don't like the ring system, I've seen more than once even in my own house that one leg of the ring neutral has just come out or that someone's done a spur just by twisting three wires together and jamming them in and the whole thing seems janky as poo poo compared to most other places which would insist on terminal blocks with one screw connector for each wire, or at least some kind of wire nut type fastener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

This Birmingham to London train is a disaster. “We apologise, this 10 carriage service only had five carriages. You may wish to get another train. Please move all bags off seats.”

Delta-go-go-go!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's also the case in large chunks of Asia - the reason that say in Singapore everyone goes to eat street food regularly (including families and such) is that it's as cheap as or cheaper than cooking at home. Of course, Singapore also has lots of problems with cheap exploited labour...

Doesn't Singapore mostly have shoebox apartments?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Well, I was going to be lazy/cheap and go with the twisting option but it's too tight a fit in the unit to get away with that (at least with my limited skills) so I'm off out to Screwfix to pick up some junction boxes and 10m of cable to do it "properly."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Raw chillies are surprisingly sweet and crisp if they're fresh enough, especially red ones. They're still hot obviously, I just mean if you're used to spicy food you'll be surprised at how munchable they are if you first try one and it's fresh.

Pickled chilli is a great side too for that kinda situation.

Pickled chillis are amazing, I have a tiny indoor jalapeño plant that's been going for a couple of years, I eat one or two raw as a display of dominance then pickle the rest.

the brine/pickle juice is also amazing as an ingredient for making Chilli or spicy things

If only I knew how to smoke them, coz chipotles are even better imo and one of the top 3 smells

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Red Oktober posted:

This Birmingham to London train is a disaster. “We apologise, this 10 carriage service only had five carriages. You may wish to get another train. Please move all bags off seats.”

Delta-go-go-go!

Yeah, rail is pretty disrupted at the moment, my train to Birmingham was 40 minutes late today.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
For takeaways, what we're starting to suss out from our locals is that one dish is actually big enough for 2 people and should be shared.

That way a meal is just about £10 or whatever for two.

Instead we've been conditioned to each get different things, as is the nature of takeaways, and as a result, you end up with £20+ prices and more food than you can comfortably eat.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Kin posted:

For takeaways, what we're starting to suss out from our locals is that one dish is actually big enough for 2 people and should be shared.

That way a meal is just about £10 or whatever for two.

Instead we've been conditioned to each get different things, as is the nature of takeaways, and as a result, you end up with £20+ prices and more food than you can comfortably eat.

i thouht the standard was to order two dishes, then the second half is lunch the next day

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

feedmegin posted:

I...what?

The WW1 American military had to borrow any piece of hardware bigger than a rifle from the French. The interwar American military was loving tiny. They weren't even authorised to have tanks, they had to call them 'combat cars'. And post WW2, there's this little country you may have heard of called the USSR? US military pre-eminence starts circa 1991.

The USSR was

A: bluffing for its entire existence
B: putting all of its eggs in the nuke basket, and still coming short of the US.

The US didn't have artillery pieces, that's true, but it could compel Europe to shed its wares on the basis that the US owned Europe's crippling war debt. They didn't have to ask France nicely or beg at all. So even though their mobilised force was tiny, they enjoyed the aggregate of the developed western world's militaries.

The other issue with the USSR is that they're fighting constant expansionist wars on all sides. Their military strength, numerically, is impressive but the amount that they can actually commit to an outside threat without facing rebellion is a fraction of that. The US enjoyed its relative isolation.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 24, 2021

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I miss having too much Thai. Back home you could go for a meal at a place with the Thai royal family's seal of approval, or a place offering a $5 bucket of peanut sauce chicken that would last three days. Tried to get The Lads into it here but it was apparently too weird can we just get a ('what? that's what they're called')

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
#pingdemic*: Home Bargains trip report:

Three large freezers almost entirely empty (have been that way for a few days now).
One single solitary box of ice lollies, no icecream.
A few pizzas and chips.
Fruit and veg boxes - about half full.

*I know, I know. I'll just get my Marlboros and mozey over to the wall.

Meanwhile:
Why haven't labour proscribed the far-right extremists masquerading as Labour First?

https://twitter.com/O_lloyd/status/1418682121212805128?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 24, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Chubby Henparty posted:

I miss having too much Thai. Back home you could go for a meal at a place with the Thai royal family's seal of approval, or a place offering a $5 bucket of peanut sauce chicken that would last three days. Tried to get The Lads into it here but it was apparently too weird can we just get a ('what? that's what they're called')

Had a Thai van outside at my house a few years ago that did about 3 meals worth of food for a fiver. Man, I really miss them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

#pingdemic*: Home Bargains trip report:

Three large freezers almost entirely empty (have been that way for a few days now).
One single solitary box of ice lollies, no icecream.
A few pizzas and chips.
Fruit and veg boxes - about half full.

*I know, I know. I'll just get my Marlboros and mozey over to the wall.

Meanwhile:
Why haven't labour proscribed the far-right extremists masquerading as Labour First?

https://twitter.com/O_lloyd/status/1418682121212805128?s=20

The wee genocidal oval office is on the NEC

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

Never in my 50+ years have i partaken of KFC, Burger King or McDonalds and i see no point in changing that
KFC boneless chicken is legit though.

minema
May 31, 2011
I pulled myself out of the horrible OCD spiral a bit today, instead of just reading more detailed descriptions of how hosed we are I wrote to my MP (a horrible Tory bastard but oh well) and joined a few local mutual aid groups so I'm proud of my healthier coping habits

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lol, that gigantic brain QC is in the replies:

https://twitter.com/JeffSamuels16/status/1418919885636317184

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Those poor boneless chickens

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, rail is pretty disrupted at the moment, my train to Birmingham was 40 minutes late today.

Mask wearing on the underground was still happening.

Which is another way of saying I’ve just seen a man in a full on gimp suit and lead sitting patiently at his master’s feet on the Northern Line. The city is returning to normal. Nature is healing.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm surprised the man sucking Fatah's dick wants Palestine to have Gaza. You think those Palestinians are just going to throw out their own constitution?

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 24, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm surprised the man sucking Fatah's dick wants Palestine to have Gaza.

Lmao like it would stop there.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I am never quite sure if that JeffSamuels account is a parody or real.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I am never quite sure if that JeffSamuels account is a parody or real.

He's real, he's the lawyer who blamed the parents of Milly Dowler for her getting murdered.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's real, he's the lawyer who blamed the parents of Milly Dowler for her getting murdered.

That actually sounds reasonable though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

That actually sounds reasonable though.

gently caress off

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Seems to make sense - if more serious cases impair the lung's capacity to absorb oxygen & get it to the brain, and even a minute of oxygen loss can cause brain death, extended periods of low oxygen could have a marked effect as well.

Reading around it seems a lot nastier. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7197630/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demyelinating_disease

Demyelinating lesions on the spine and brain. Yikes.

I'm currently having a fun minor argument with my mum on the sofa while her and my wife crochet. (she's in our bubble and we haven't been anywhere except to each others houses for months now)

I was talking about the possible effects of long covid from reading that article and her exact attitude is "we can't possibly have studied it long enough to know what it really does"

Along with comments like "oh you enjoy scaring yourself don't you?"

Its like... Yes I know but... It's going to be years til we really fully know exactly the long term effects. The problem is in the meantime we're creating a new chronic condition on the scale of diabetes and heart disease combined...

But that's doom saying you see.

Meanwhile my brother texted me to say he's being dragged around IKEA and cribbs causeway by his wife and he doesn't want to keep checking in because he just got finished self isolating for 5 days. He says he takes a lateral flow test every day tho! My sister works for him and has no immune system.

Agggghhh.

I just. What the gently caress is the point. Nobody cares and while we've avoided everything so far it's not going to end is it?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

One down, five to go!

Thanks, everyone. :science:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Had to run into town to pick up new glasses and it's just depressing how many people are maskless and basically shoulder to shoulder. That's it for me for going out for a few months I think, even double jabbed and having had Covid. It just feels like walking along a beach where everyone is swimming in shark infested water, I can't relax, I just want to scream at them to get the gently caress out of there.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

bump_fn posted:

i thouht the standard was to order two dishes, then the second half is lunch the next day

We do that with domino's but have never found stuff from an Indian or Chinese that appealing after a night of congealing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kin posted:

We do that with domino's but have never found stuff from an Indian or Chinese that appealing after a night of congealing.

I’m not a fan personally but my wife insists that the act of warming it back up on the hob usually reverses the congealed grossness.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kin posted:

What sort of horrific indian are you eating that's worse the next day? :psyduck:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mebh posted:

Reading around it seems a lot nastier. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7197630/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demyelinating_disease

Demyelinating lesions on the spine and brain. Yikes.

Hello and welcome to my personal version of the affliction mentioned above; Multiple Sclerosis. :hfive:

If that's what it's doing to them i do not envy anyone who gets hit by it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

That's just the mainstream centrist position on Israel surely?
two state solution with hamas replaced by a "democratically elected" government, just no not that one

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Also Indian food often gets better when cold like many spiced or highly seasoned things, you're missing out

Especially by comparison with dominos which is good for a 30 second window after opening the box

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Isomermaid posted:

Had to run into town to pick up new glasses and it's just depressing how many people are maskless and basically shoulder to shoulder. That's it for me for going out for a few months I think, even double jabbed and having had Covid. It just feels like walking along a beach where everyone is swimming in shark infested water, I can't relax, I just want to scream at them to get the gently caress out of there.

Dude, chill out.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
https://twitter.com/pointlesslettrs/status/1417799725839958018?s=19

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I used to live near a pizza place that was loving disgusting fresh, but if you took it home and warmed it up in the oven the next day it was amazing.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

This is actually a pretty good point - society has moved on from 'first born male inherits'.

I think a new plan is in order, so I've come up with the following proposal.

1. Abolish hereditary titles.
2. Pub?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I too think it is time to change the rules around peerages and baronetcies (by banning them)

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Just Crusader Kings things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's pretty funny when they come out with this "with all this gender going around, what would happen with [antiquated dilemma]" and the answer is just like "a birth certificate, as a Crown document, supersedes any of your 'basic biology' for purposes of law" or "with gay marriage, what would happen if the king married a man, would we have two kings?" and the answer is just "no the one in line would be king and his husband would be Prince Consort, that's been the case for centuries" because all these old rear end institutions that predate the modern state have contingencies for things far more unusual than whatever sex/gender thing the Mail is mad about this week.