Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I am in a safety presentation right now, where they are telling us about the new "two-handled" doorknobs they're installing. One of them is bright red and is marked "GLOVES ONLY" while the other is normal and reads "NO GLOVES." This was their solution to the fact that they've been trying and failing to get scientists to take their goddamned gloves off before exiting the lab, so they don't get whatever they're working on all over the door handle.

I'm waiting for the Q&A session at the end so that I can ask why scientists who can't be bothered to show the minimal decency and care to take three seconds to remove their gloves (or wave their hands at the already-existing motion sensors) are going to give any shits at all about the new handle and change their habits.

Edit: They got around this by not doing a Q&A at the end. :(

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Lyon posted:

I've never heard any major complaints from the consultants who work there. One of their sales reps quit due to a conflict with the owners about pay/commission. I only heard his side so obviously the owners were toxic and in the wrong but that's really the only major negative information I ever heard about them.

Thanks for this again. I'm about to get an offer from them, and I'm trying to figure out best option re career growth among 3. I'm pretty sure Csols is the answer, but if anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.

Csols working with labware, with the chance down the line to branch out to other software. Consulting, will work on a lot of different projects but some travel required full remote otherwise.

Biotech company, working with slims (agilent) as senior BA/admin to get it running on a lab that is the companies gmp product. Seems like a good culture /office environment. Would have a lovely commute a few days a week.

Therapeutics company working with benchling as sys admin for several R&D labs. Would also have a lovely commute a few days a week. Running for a non gmp R&D lab though is probably the worst option for my resume though and benchling would be learning 0 additional programming.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

Edit: They got around this by not doing a Q&A at the end. :(

Smart of them.

Research has some of those in, I think, South Campus. I can't tell you compliance rates. I don't think anyone wants to swab them and find out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Random question but does anyone know of where to find a wiring diagram or actual maintenance manual (not the standard owners manual) for an Eppendorf Galaxy 170S CO2 incubator?

The CO2 sensor in ours failed just a few weeks after the warranty ended. It's an IR sensor and since its out of warranty honestly I'd rather try to replace it myself instead of paying for a service tech to come out in addition to the cost of parts etc.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would try calling. Customer/tech support might give you some guidance over the phone

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

That Works posted:

Random question but does anyone know of where to find a wiring diagram or actual maintenance manual (not the standard owners manual) for an Eppendorf Galaxy 170S CO2 incubator?

The CO2 sensor in ours failed just a few weeks after the warranty ended. It's an IR sensor and since its out of warranty honestly I'd rather try to replace it myself instead of paying for a service tech to come out in addition to the cost of parts etc.
Is this what you're looking for:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/244428629/Galaxy-R-Service-Manual-pdf

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
From the bio thread, worth trying.

Zudgemud posted:

We don't have the one that you have but one of our older bigger incubators had a CO2 sensor fail a couple of times and our maintenance guy, which came the first time, just pulled it out tapped it a bit and it started to work again. As a way for us to save like 2000 dollars he recommended us to try that again if it failed again (which it did, and the tapping worked then too). However, I recalled it being a bit unintuitive to actually pull out the sensor, and had he not shown us the first time we would have had no clue how to pull it out ourselves.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
gently caress mass spectrometers, and every person who has designed current mass spectrometer control software should be beaten to death with an iPad.

Hi, I'm Lunar (Dr. Lunar if you're nasty), and I work in a hospital as a trainee clinical scientist.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Lunar Suite posted:

gently caress mass spectrometers, and every person who has designed current mass spectrometer control software should be beaten to death with an iPad.

Hi, I'm Lunar (Dr. Lunar if you're nasty), and I work in a hospital as a trainee clinical scientist.

Funny fact, Agilents top of the line QTOF generates so much data that the internal software cannot handle it for certain applications like intact mass determination.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lunar Suite posted:

Instrument software across the board is garbage from an end user perspective. I think agilents ICP expert is probably the best I've used and I give it a "just ok."

Worst is probably some mettler stuff we have.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
As far as I can tell in our version of masshunter the only way to view a running sequence is to click edit. Then, if you forget to exit out of edit mode, the run crashes.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

Instrument software across the board is garbage from an end user perspective. I think agilents ICP expert is probably the best I've used and I give it a "just ok."

Worst is probably some mettler stuff we have.

Well, our more recent ÄKTA Unicorn software is at least nice and user-friendly for both new and experienced users. And our western quantification software works nicely, they even let one use free versions of the software on your own laptop so you don't have to hog the machine to analyze your data. They are of course seemingly removing support for that software in favor of a costly licenced replacement software with a tacked on statistics suite... Our plate reader software is however a buggy turd with a user-unfriendly interface from the late 90s.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Not quite mass spec but when I saw that the epMotion 96 stamp tool used an ipod touch for it's UI I was pretty shocked.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
mass spec control software reviews:

Waters:
Con: Why are there four different windows I need to coordinate across? why can I operate the electronics and gas, but not the source pressure and fluidics, from the master panel? Why can I change flow rate and composition, but not load the method I've selected? please export data as a file, not a folder, you're a pain to get into MzMine.
Pro: can copy/paste into the sample list, can use "fill down" and "fill series" to not have to type out every single thing yourself. Analysis and export not that painful.

ThermoFisher:
Con: ugly as a student's first year C# project, frequently fails to connect to MS. Some of the older versions seem to run on goddamn telnet. Hardcoded filepaths make setting up a right pain
Pro: export into an industry standard file format means you can actually backup your project

Sciex:
Con: your analysis module is terrible. Click on the axises to zoom in on the chromatogram. Zoom does not persist, even inside the same sample.
Pro: shinier machine?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I like Thermo software a lot more than Waters. The old stuff from Thermo (xcalibur and associates) were awful, and tracefinder is buggy and irritating when errors happen, but when it works it’s solid.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Velius posted:

I like Thermo software a lot more than Waters. The old stuff from Thermo (xcalibur and associates) were awful, and tracefinder is buggy and irritating when errors happen, but when it works it’s solid.
I've got Xcalibur on my mass specs and it works just fine. The user experience sucks and the software is really clunky. But it does work consistently for me.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Epitope posted:

As far as I can tell in our version of masshunter the only way to view a running sequence is to click edit. Then, if you forget to exit out of edit mode, the run crashes.

GCMS or LCMS? And what version?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ascii genitals posted:

GCMS or LCMS? And what version?

It's GC, and we're running a headspace sampler, so maybe that's part of it.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Epitope posted:

It's GC, and we're running a headspace sampler, so maybe that's part of it.

Are you in a validated environment (ie, can we try anything with the software or would this be a nightmare?) I wonder if you actually have MH Acq 10 SR1 and someone forgot to install the service release--there is a folder on the usb with a 2nd installer that should be run after setup.exe that has a few bug fixes (this would change your build to 10.0.384.) There was at least one live sequence edit issue for PAL3 fixed in SR1, I would need to look closer to see if that also touched headspace.

It should not be a problem to open the sequence table editor and have that open while the sequence is running. Headspace and PAL3 can be a bit more tricky because of sample overlap logic, but that still doesn't sound right to me. As far as differences for sequencing for a headspace.. if you were to pause the sequence it would finish the current injection AND do the next injection before the pause takes effect. Also for headspace if you were to edit the sequence while it was running to insert more lines I suppose there are certain cases where it might screw up.. but simply opening the sequence table and keeping it open should not cause a problem.

Before the sequence actually starts a silent 'simulate sequence' is done, so if you just want to see the contents of the table take a look at d:\masshunter\gcms\1\simulate_sequence.log as a sort-of workaround. If you want to look into this more just send me a PM.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

MS re-tuning works a lot better
a) using combined rather than infusion mode, which produces weird peaks that just constantly shift
b) when actually infusing, not purging the reservoir, then forgetting to re-enable flow into the MS

Still working on getting my sea legs - what is and isn't a peak seems kinda fuzzy and I panic when I see a sea of ever-shifting red bullshit, but at least I did get a signal for the expected precursor peak, fixed one product ion at an m/z closer to predicted, and found another product close to where it's predicted to be, so this assay might actually get off the ground.

RIP to all the candidates that did not make it in the matrix (the joy of faecal proteomics). I should have reached out to the lab's university contact immediately - apparently, you don't go into matrix with any fewer than 60 transitions or so, since 99% of transitions working fine in pure (digested) protein will not work in matrix.

for pride month, i will remove the m from masshunter

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

My boss just announced that completed near miss reports will be a metric by which we are judged at the end of the year......

This is the same guy who, at the beginning of COVID shutdowns, asked me to look into mixing ammonia and bleach in 275-gallon totes to support our plants' disinfecting efforts.

This guy has a PhD. :wtc:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dik Hz posted:

My boss just announced that completed near miss reports will be a metric by which we are judged at the end of the year......

This is the same guy who, at the beginning of COVID shutdowns, asked me to look into mixing ammonia and bleach in 275-gallon totes to support our plants' disinfecting efforts.

This guy has a PhD. :wtc:

well, did you look into it? i bet it would disinfect the lab pretty well if everyone inside it was dead

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

PokeJoe posted:

well, did you look into it? i bet it would disinfect the lab pretty well if everyone inside it was dead
He made me call our ammonium hydroxide vendor while he watched. It was awkward, to say the least.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
^^ boss trying to murder y'all

ascii genitals posted:

Are you in a validated environment

They're making noises, but not yet. Being in trouble is a made up concept, maybe I'll tinker with this at some point. Ya the FSE that set this up was in a rush, I could totally see him missing that. I guess it should have occurred to me that this was something that was fixable. You guys tech support is always great. Hopefully you get paid for posting :)

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Epitope posted:

^^ boss trying to murder y'all

They're making noises, but not yet. Being in trouble is a made up concept, maybe I'll tinker with this at some point. Ya the FSE that set this up was in a rush, I could totally see him missing that. I guess it should have occurred to me that this was something that was fixable. You guys tech support is always great. Hopefully you get paid for posting :)

Well, SR1 is worth a shot--it only takes a minute or two to install. Just look for MHGCMSAcq_10.0_SR1.exe on the installer media.. run that. It might make you point it to the original installer, just have that USB plugged in.

If it doesn't help let me know.

I don't get paid to post, but I do post to live. I'm glad the support has been good for you, I agree it's so important... I came from the field myself, now I work on the team that makes MH GCMS Acq and it's really interesting getting to work with the people who actually make this stuff.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Lyon posted:

It’s very different technology wise but LIMS is LIMS. As long as you know what problems it can solve and which ones it can’t I think you’d be fine in a business analyst type role and if the company is willing to train you then you’d pick up LabVantage fast and could be an admin pretty quickly.

We’ve been absolutely demolishing LabWare and StarLIMS and both will probably cease to exist as real companies in the not so distant future and will probably just ride out their support contracts for a decade.

Is benchling getting into the LIMS business?

Also, career wise. Biotech is nuts right now. Had a ton of interviews, picked a great company. This euphoria can’t last much longer, so make a career move while you can.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Benchling is getting big it seems like, but everyplace I interviewed at for lims that were using it were still using it for R&D. So maybe?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Spikes32 posted:

Benchling is getting big it seems like, but everyplace I interviewed at for lims that were using it were still using it for R&D. So maybe?

I used Benchling as the ELN at my last job. Biotech is fuckin insane right now, I just hopped from a diagnostic startup to a manufacturing R&D startup in the same building for an extra 50k/yr.

Get money get paid

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah Benchling appears to be much more on the R&D side but we have started to run into them more frequently so I think they're trying to expand their footprint. I honestly don't know a lot about their capabilities other than we typically don't run into them on the QC side of things. In the traditional QA/QC and GMP spaces LabWare, StarLIMS, and Thermo products still tend to be our biggest competitors but we run into ELN vendors like IDBS and BIOVIA, whatever Benchling is classified as, apparently Clarity is back in the mix (a LIMS/NGS software Illumina acquired), and then there are hundreds of other laboratory informatics software packages I don't know about.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I cut my teeth on Geneious way back in 2008. The software has gotten pretty advanced, but their subscription model is loving garbage and I won't patronize a company who pulls that poo poo. Either I own this software or I don't, I'm not renting it from you fucks.

I have yet to find a replacement. Benchling works but I feel like it's missing something and I can't narrow that down.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Bastard Tetris posted:

Get money get paid

We’ll never have a job market this great ever again. Get that money.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

mycomancy posted:

I cut my teeth on Geneious way back in 2008. The software has gotten pretty advanced, but their subscription model is loving garbage and I won't patronize a company who pulls that poo poo. Either I own this software or I don't, I'm not renting it from you fucks.

I have yet to find a replacement. Benchling works but I feel like it's missing something and I can't narrow that down.

Benchling scales HORRIBLY. In HTS environments the browser chokes hard when handling large datasets.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mustached Demon posted:

The Venn diagram of people well-versed in Windows software development best practices, and those who know what a mass spectrometer even loving is looks like a diagram of the earth and the moon.

Velius posted:

Both vendors are annoying as hell during setup for a new instrument. Waters techs are probably less competent, but Thermo's people are more stubborn. Both are apparently trained to treat antivirus software as the cause of literally everything wrong. I had a Waters tech swear herself blue for a week that SEP was breaking the Oracle database . A week during which SEP wasn't installed - ODBC was configured wrong, by the tech. Another one, just last week, refused to continue setup because she couldn't perform the step where she grants her apps access through the Windows Defender firewall - it was TURNED OFF. They ended up botching driver install so bad we had to re-image the machine. And these were the techs that showed up for their appointments.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bastard Tetris posted:

Benchling scales HORRIBLY. In HTS environments the browser chokes hard when handling large datasets.

Lol lmao I build my own HTS pipelines using python and command-line software. Geneious and Benchling are mostly relegated to annotation visualization and primer design/storage.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

mllaneza posted:

Both vendors are annoying as hell during setup for a new instrument. Waters techs are probably less competent, but Thermo's people are more stubborn. Both are apparently trained to treat antivirus software as the cause of literally everything wrong. I had a Waters tech swear herself blue for a week that SEP was breaking the Oracle database . A week during which SEP wasn't installed - ODBC was configured wrong, by the tech. Another one, just last week, refused to continue setup because she couldn't perform the step where she grants her apps access through the Windows Defender firewall - it was TURNED OFF. They ended up botching driver install so bad we had to re-image the machine. And these were the techs that showed up for their appointments.
Speaking as someone who had a forced IT update brick a mass spec, the techs are correct. If a computer is hooked up to a mass spec, it should not be connected to a network. All antivirus and firewall should be nuked.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

Speaking as someone who had a forced IT update brick a mass spec, the techs are correct. If a computer is hooked up to a mass spec, it should not be connected to a network. All antivirus and firewall should be nuked.

My policy when I had a say in such things was no network on any instrument computer. IT loving hated this but told them the rickety instrument software didn’t need anti virus making it more rickety.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Y'all mean no network with internet right? Or are you carrying data on a thumb drive or something?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Epitope posted:

Y'all mean no network with internet right? Or are you carrying data on a thumb drive or something?

In some cases data was stored on the computer and backed up to a flash drive then sent off site from there.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Shrieking Muppet posted:

In some cases data was stored on the computer and backed up to a flash drive then sent off site from there.

Cries in 21cfr11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

mllaneza posted:

The Venn diagram of people well-versed in Windows software development best practices, and those who know what a mass spectrometer even loving is looks like a diagram of the earth and the moon.

There is overlap but the person who knows about both MS and software development is a 70 year old BOFH sys-op californian republican who will only code in notepad

quote:

To be fair, antivirus and network printers cause like 90% of problems.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 6, 2021