Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

tima posted:

how many fps does that error box render at? probably as much performance as you will ever see.
I was actually shocked because it was running at 60FPS instead of the 300FPS the opening stuff used to run at.

Cojawfee posted:

You got banned for not flying enough.
This took the edge off my frustration, thanks :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

skooma512 posted:

What kind of aftermarket work?
I put some silicone grease on the rails and tweaked the tension screw until moved the way I liked it.

Pretty much that, plus finding the right grease that isn't also $50 shipping from the US. I mean I knew going in that it'd be needed, it's just :effort: I've never gotten around to.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Mailer posted:

Pretty much that, plus finding the right grease that isn't also $50 shipping from the US. I mean I knew going in that it'd be needed, it's just :effort: I've never gotten around to.

I have the T16000 throttle and found some YouTube video about opening it up, cleaning up the grease and putting clear tape on the rails. It sounded a bit ridiculous but it worked. I don’t have the magic grease to compare it to, but it’s a whole lot smoother than it was before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have the thrustmaster rudder pedals. They were a bit sticky and I tried lubing them but they were still a bit sticky. Then I let a bunch of cat hair fall int he the rails and now they slide pretty great.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mailer posted:

You don’t need Nyogel really, I used common Super Lube silicone grease. 10 bux on Amazon now and it’s probably around in hardware stores. Tension screw is a Phillip head.

I wonder if people could just mail each other and share a tube of nyogel because like gently caress nobody is gonna use all of a tube anyway .

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I can't remember clearly, but I think all I did with the TWCS Throttle was to put a strip of packing tape where it was rubbing inside to provide a smooth surface.

Definitely gonna try out the magnet mod, that's cool as hell.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

skooma512 posted:

You don’t need Nyogel really, I used common Super Lube silicone grease. 10 bux on Amazon now and it’s probably around in hardware stores. Tension screw is a Phillip head.

I wonder if people could just mail each other and share a tube of nyogel because like gently caress nobody is gonna use all of a tube anyway .

Goon Lube Swap 2021

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

skooma512 posted:

Flight Sim Megathread: Nobody is going to use all of a tube of lube anyway

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

skooma512 posted:

If you don't grease yourself up with it like groundskeeper Willie so you can be "that passenger" on a domestic flight then you aren't getting your money's worth.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

This isn't MSFS content, but I think it's so adjacent that it might happen here too:

"Military Game Fan Leaks Classified Docs To Win Forum Argument"
https://kotaku.com/military-game-fan-leaks-classified-docs-to-win-forum-ar-1847309348

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
RIP that guy's entire life

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I am honestly surprised it wasn’t for some Nazi tank.

Even if they are/aren’t declassified by now I just feel like that is a totally expectable thing.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Lube chat; instead of that nyogel stuff I used brake caliper grease (just the tiniest bit) to take care of the new X52 stiction issue.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hell yeah high temp grease for those vigorous throttle movements

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

for the thrustmaster 16000m throttle I got the replacement plate that includes bearings for the bars to slide on. it's very nice and you can do very precise adjustments

probably fine to just regrease it with the original parts but i'm happy with this upgrade

e: also I forgot to mention, the Gladiator NXT was exactly the style of joystick i wanted compared to the 16000m. Being able to change springs and button configurations is great, along with the nice weapon release button and just general feel of resistance

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 19, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Porfiriato posted:

Flight Sim Megathread: Nobody is going to use all of a tube of lube anyway

lmao

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I see that the CaptainSim 777 is on the marketplace now, any idea if it's worth the $30? I remember it getting lots of negative feedback awhile back for being a reskin of the 74 and a broken autopilot.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

One in the Bum posted:

I see that the CaptainSim 777 is on the marketplace now, any idea if it's worth the $30? I remember it getting lots of negative feedback awhile back for being a reskin of the 74 and a broken autopilot.

They also stole liveries from creators without permission, credit or compensation.

Don't give them any money.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/captainsim-777-takes-liveries-down-steals-them-and-reuploads-them/404025

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
hot drat, now that makes sense. I heard about the stolen liveries but hadn't put it together that this was the same group.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

For what it's worth, they eventually relented on the livery thing and let people put them up on sim sites but the plane is still a hot pile of dogshit.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Never give CaptainSim a dime. They have been crooked for over 10 years, make a crap product too.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
Anyone got any experience using "The Skypark" (https://orbxdirect.com/product/p42-the-skypark) as a "career mode" / purpose-giver? It's only £23 and i'm considering buying it to force me out of my comfortable EGLL -> EHAM a32nx rut :)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

kalleth posted:

Anyone got any experience using "The Skypark" (https://orbxdirect.com/product/p42-the-skypark) as a "career mode" / purpose-giver? It's only £23 and i'm considering buying it to force me out of my comfortable EGLL -> EHAM a32nx rut :)

Have you tried NeoFly already? I would not buy that before trying the free ones first. Also, I don't trust :spergin: companies to make fun career modes.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

kalleth posted:

I bought it recently after getting frustrated with OnAir and finding NeoFly generally unusable. I really like it.

It’s very different from the other career mode add-ons. It’s not an airline business simulator, it’s more like a weird gig-economy app for fake pilots. You have access to all the planes you have in MSFS and there isn’t much progression, you just take jobs around the world that are generated by the app for money and tell you what kind of plane you have to use.

It’s very chill. The other add-ons are too demanding and aren’t amenable to just flying whatever plane you want.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kalleth posted:

I have it, but haven’t really flown with it yet because MS/Asobo won’t play nice with third party apps in VR. Next time I sit down to the sim, I’m planning on doing some DC-6 with TrackIR instead, and fiddling with SkyPark some more.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Danimo posted:

I bought it recently after getting frustrated with OnAir and finding NeoFly generally unusable. I really like it.

It’s very different from the other career mode add-ons. It’s not an airline business simulator, it’s more like a weird gig-economy app for fake pilots. You have access to all the planes you have in MSFS and there isn’t much progression, you just take jobs around the world that are generated by the app for money and tell you what kind of plane you have to use.

It’s very chill. The other add-ons are too demanding and aren’t amenable to just flying whatever plane you want.

This made it sound like exactly what i'm looking for, so i took the plunge.

@lobsterminator -- I did try NeoFly, and it was uh, certainly an experience. I wasn't a *huge* fan, must be said.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

kalleth posted:

This made it sound like exactly what i'm looking for, so i took the plunge.

@lobsterminator -- I did try NeoFly, and it was uh, certainly an experience. I wasn't a *huge* fan, must be said.

Ok, please share your experiences with Skypark when you get into it. I found NeoFly pretty painless but I was used to FSEconomy which is on a whole 'nother level of pain... It's nice that there are lots of career mode addons available.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Got some rudder pedals to take my fake flying up a notch. Already feels more natural than the twist action, but properly coordinated turns are still a challenge.

Any tips for learning this on a sim? Feels like the kind of thing that you need to feel in the seat to really get.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

lobsterminator posted:

Ok, please share your experiences with Skypark when you get into it. I found NeoFly pretty painless but I was used to FSEconomy which is on a whole 'nother level of pain... It's nice that there are lots of career mode addons available.

So far, so good. Very not grindy, which is what I wanted, and a little bit of humour with the voiceovers goes a long way. So far I've done the tutorial, two GA flights, and one WT-CJ4 from Edinburgh to Schipol, and (except one crash about half way there the first time I tried the last flight - but that was probably because it was my fourth flight of the day without restarting the sim) flawless.

I really like the interface. It's not build for your standard sim user who expects everything to look like it was made by Oracle in the 90's, and although the economy system is "light", I can see how they could enhance it longer term :)

I wouldn't say it has anywhere near the depth of FSEconomy/OnAir/etc (cos it doesn't) but it's a nice little addon for me :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

FunOne posted:

Got some rudder pedals to take my fake flying up a notch. Already feels more natural than the twist action, but properly coordinated turns are still a challenge.

Any tips for learning this on a sim? Feels like the kind of thing that you need to feel in the seat to really get.

What did you get?

As far as tips, the best way to get used to them is watching the turn bubble and keep it centered. Eventually it'll become second nature.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
The VKB set. They feel well built but I've only had them a day.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You could practice by doing the coordination drills that new pilots do in real life. Take off, get trimmed up for level flight, and point your nose at some obvious landmark like a mountain peak or a tall building. Roll with just the ailerons and watch the nose; you'll see that it swings in the opposite direction of the roll, kicking your aim point off to one side. Use the rudder to bring it back to point at your target. Then start rolling back and forth, moving the yoke and pedals simultaneously, applying just enough rudder along with the aileron to never let the nose drift away from your target point. When you can do that, you'll have a sense of how much rudder to apply along with the aileron in order to maintain coordination.

A key concept to realize is that the rudder always moves simultaneously with the aileron, and the amount it moves is proportional to the aileron deflection. Not the bank angle -- the angle of the yoke. What's actually happening is:

- you turn the yoke and one aileron goes up, the other goes down
- the aileron going down on one side increases lift on that wing, raising it up, and the aileron going up does the reverse; this starts the plane rolling
- because the outside wing is producing more lift than the inside wing, it also produces more induced drag
- the extra drag on the outside wing yaws the plane towards the outside of the turn, kicking the nose out and putting the plane in a slip
- applying rudder in the direction of the turn balances out the extra aileron drag, bringing the nose back in and returning you to coordinated flight.

So what this means is that rudder is required for coordination any time the ailerons are deflected. If your yoke goes right, you step right; if it goes left, step left. If it's neutral, no rudder, regardless of the plane's angle of bank. Hands and feet always moving together.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 25, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

You could practice by doing the coordination drills that new pilots do in real life. Take off, get trimmed up for level flight, and point your nose at some obvious landmark like a mountain peak or a tall building. Roll with just the ailerons and watch the nose; you'll see that it swings in the opposite direction of the roll, kicking your aim point off to one side. Use the rudder to bring it back to point at your target. Then start rolling back and forth, moving the yoke and pedals simultaneously, applying just enough rudder along with the aileron to never let the nose drift away from your target point. When you can do that, you'll have a sense of how much rudder to apply along with the aileron in order to maintain coordination.

A key concept to realize is that the rudder always moves simultaneously with the aileron, and the amount it moves is proportional to the aileron deflection. Not the bank angle -- the angle of the yoke. What's actually happening is:

- the aileron going down on one side increases lift on that wing, raising it up, and the aileron going up does the reverse; this starts the plane rolling
- because the outside wing is producing more lift than the inside wing, it also produces more induced drag
- the extra drag on the outside wing yaws the plane towards the outside of the turn, kicking the nose out and putting the plane in a slip
- applying rudder in the direction of the turn balances out the extra aileron drag, bringing the nose back in and returning you to coordinated flight.

So what this means is that rudder is required for coordination any time the ailerons are deflected. If your yoke goes right, you step right; if it goes left, step left. If it's neutral, no rudder, regardless of the plane's angle of bank. Hands and feet always moving together.

Or just fly very fast and you don't need to coordinate anymore :)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

That's extremely useful! Thanks, Sagebrush, the with-the-yoke-not-the-angle thing is a lightbulb moment.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

This is great help. I managed to get a full 15 minutes of flying two gentle turns and the downwind leg of an approach in a tiny plane and it was so much easier, in a way, to coordinate turns or at least understand the need because you can feel the air and the plane. In flight sim its always felt extremely weird because (at least, in my ignorance) its just watching a black ball on the instrument panel. Your post and breakdown really help bridge a 20 minute experience when I was a teenager a million years ago, lol.

Curious though, at speed and/or altitude does this get lost? Mostly asking for tubes/jets but I notice it with smaller planes if I'm being gentle on the yoke - it seems like almost anything but the gentlest rudder knocks the indicator out of wack and I obviously I can't feel the pull, but it seems like you almost don't use rudder in higher speed and gentler turning situations? I know the A320 coordinates for you (at least, I think I read that, and I assume the FlyByWire sims this) but I fly a lot of other planes too and still have trouble kind of hitting the right rudder to keep the ball centered. A lot of times after I start a turn it seems like if I don't let off the rudder the indicator is off center. I'm also bad with it seeming to seesaw when I dump off the rudder out of a turn, but I assume thats more just me being too heavy and not smooth with my movements.

e: rereading again I think you did explain this with "A key concept to realize is that the rudder always moves simultaneously with the aileron, and the amount it moves is proportional to the aileron deflection. Not the bank angle -- the angle of the yoke." but if you can say more words to help me I'd appreciate it!

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 26, 2021

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It's worth mentioning that MSFS still has some weird poo poo with yaw, so some of the stuff you'll read about real world flying won't apply to the sim.

As an example, on takeoff, the current flight model basically has the rudder on taildraggers instantly becoming effective at a certain point (and the ground friction for the wheels seems to be an "all or nothing" model as well), so they're substantially more difficult to take off and land than they should be.

There's also some odd stuff with how spins are represented, but unless you're trying to do aerobatics, that isn't super obvious much of the time

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

e: rereading again I think you did explain this with "A key concept to realize is that the rudder always moves simultaneously with the aileron, and the amount it moves is proportional to the aileron deflection. Not the bank angle -- the angle of the yoke." but if you can say more words to help me I'd appreciate it!

My understanding is that you would generally be applying rudder only as you're actively tilting the stick, NOT through the entire turn. Once you're rolled to the right angle for your turn and return the stick to center, you should ease off the rudder.

...at least, that's how I understand it. My problem is that I keep the rudder pressed all the way through a turn, when I should've taken my foot off once I stopped rolling my wings.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Squiggle posted:

My understanding is that you would generally be applying rudder only as you're actively tilting the stick, NOT through the entire turn. Once you're rolled to the right angle for your turn and return the stick to center, you should ease off the rudder.

...at least, that's how I understand it. My problem is that I keep the rudder pressed all the way through a turn, when I should've taken my foot off once I stopped rolling my wings.

This is how I interpreted what I included in my edit, too, and I don't think I realized this in ten years of flight sim. :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A lot of times after I start a turn it seems like if I don't let off the rudder the indicator is off center. I'm also bad with it seeming to seesaw when I dump off the rudder out of a turn, but I assume thats more just me being too heavy and not smooth with my movements.

Squiggle posted:

Yes, Squiggle is correct.

Pay attention to where your yoke or stick is during the turn. In most cases, for reasonably banked turns (around 30 degrees), the aircraft is balanced so that you don't need to continuously apply aileron through the turn. You turn the yoke/stick left and start a roll, hit 30 degrees, and return to neutral to stop rolling and hold that bank angle. When you roll out of the turn you apply right aileron, roll level, and neutralize again. Because the stick is only deflected when you are actually rolling, that's also the only time you will be applying the rudder. Once the bank is established and you're making the turn, you should indeed be letting off the pedals because you've also let off the stick.

Left hand left foot -- roll to bank angle -- neutralize. hold roll. right hand right foot -- roll level -- neutralize.

Neutral turns at 30 degrees isn't a rule -- it depends on the specific aerodynamic design and balance of the plane -- but it applies generally to most small aircraft. Broadly, if you're banked less than that balance point the plane will want to return to level flight, and you'll need to apply continuous aileron + rudder in the direction of the turn to maintain it (but it will be subtle because it's a subtle bank). If you're banked much more, like say 45 degrees, the plane will want to continue rolling over, and you'll have to apply aileron away from the turn to maintain it -- and you'll be applying rudder away too, because that's the direction your ailerons are going.

This is much easier to grasp in real life because you can feel the plane pulling on the yoke, so don't sweat it if it doesn't seem very noticeable in the simulator. As azflyboy notes, the game's aerodynamics aren't perfect either.

Seesawing when you let off is just about being smooth with the controls. Rudder and aileron always together*, smoothly returning both to zero at the same time. I'd suggest also setting up a pretty dramatic S-curve on your rudder axis so that you have more fine control in the middle.

Curious though, at speed and/or altitude does this get lost? Mostly asking for tubes/jets but I notice it with smaller planes if I'm being gentle on the yoke - it seems like almost anything but the gentlest rudder knocks the indicator out of wack and I obviously I can't feel the pull, but it seems like you almost don't use rudder in higher speed and gentler turning situations? I know the A320 coordinates for you

Like all flying surfaces, at high speeds the rudder becomes more effective. So the amount of input required to produce a certain result will be smaller when you're flying faster. The adverse yaw is still happening, but a smaller rudder input is needed to correct it. The altitude doesn't affect this except inasmuch as the air density affects all flying; your indicated air speed is the important figure since that tells you how much air your wings are "feeling." I guess there might be something to do with how the ratio of momentum to available aerodynamic force changes with air density, but that's really getting into the weeds.

Furthermore, airliners don't tend to turn very hard lest the passengers get pissed off. Anything newer than the ~1960s will also have at least a yaw damper, which will coordinate most turns automatically, or a full fly-by-wire system which will handle the rudder completely. The combination of gentle turns in a fast plane with the computer helping out means that you don't touch the rudder in modern airliners for most of the flight. Pilots will still use it to fly in a slip if required for a crosswind approach. I know that there are actual airline pilots in this thread so they can certainly tell you more.

In addition to flying slower and not having computers, rudder use is also more noticeable in small planes because they're lighter, so they get blown around more and may require more frequent and dramatic corrections; and because of all the left-turning tendencies associated with having a single propeller engine on the centerline.

*except when you're intentionally flying in a slip, but this post is already too long :cheeky:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Thanks - all super informative. And yeah, my rudder pedals don't have a very strong center detente so I've found myself applying slight rudder by mistake constantly when my feet are up on them and it makes it hard to hit neutral easily.