Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
There was also a group sing of Imagine and instantly people took to Twitter to mock Gal Gadot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah but Proof of a Hero slaps

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wrong Theory posted:

Didn't see it posted here but in the dorkiest news of the day the opening ceremony for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics included tracks from various video games including:

Dragon Quest- “Roto’s Theme”
Final Fantasy - “Victory Fanfare”
Tales of series - “Sorey’s Theme - The Shepherd”
Monster Hunter series - “Proof of a Hero”
Kingdom Hearts - “Olympus Coliseum”
Chrono Trigger - “Frog’s Theme”
Ace Combat - “First Flight”
Tales of series - “Royal Capital Majestic Grandeur”
Monster Hunter - “Wind of Departure”
Chrono Trigger - “Robo’s Theme”
Sonic the Hedgehog - “Star Light Zone”
Pro Evolution Soccer - “eFootball Walk-on Theme”
Final Fantasy - “Main Theme”
Phantasy Star Universe - “Guardians”
Kingdom Hearts - “Hero’s Fanfare”
Gradius - “01 Act I-1”
Nier - “Song of the Ancients”
SaGa series - “The Minstrel’s Refrain: SaGa Series Medley 2016”
Soulcalibur - “The Brave New Stage of History”

https://www.siliconera.com/tokyo-olympics-used-final-fantasy-kingdom-hearts-and-nier-music-in-opening-ceremony/

The only thing that could have been done better is if they had the Soul Calibur announcer announce the countries during the parade. "Welcome, to the stage of history!" and then some country with like 4 athletes walks in. It could have been really epic.

I still say the best pick from AC was Zero. First flight is ok i guess

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I get so bored at baseball games and never watch them on TV but Olympic softball is pretty awesome

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

boop the snoot posted:

I’m in Cleveland right now ama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg86Enr2WZ8

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

boop the snoot posted:

I’m in Cleveland right now ama

Is there a smell?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wrong Theory posted:

The only thing that could have been done better is if they had the Soul Calibur announcer announce the countries during the parade. "Welcome, to the stage of history!" and then some country with like 4 athletes walks in. It could have been really epic.

"Live like a wind rammer, as you gently caress."

Also related to soul calibur and very recent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOW9-F0kCeA

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 24, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wrong Theory posted:

Chrono Trigger - “Robo’s Theme”
Sonic the Hedgehog - “Star Light Zone”
Final Fantasy - “Main Theme”

These three are actually good, but I feel like if you're going to go that far, you should go all the way, you cowards.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

piL posted:

These three are actually good, but I feel like if you're going to go that far, you should go all the way, you cowards.

Chrono Trigger’s music was far, far better than it had any right to be, especially for SNES. I don’t really care for the olympics, but Frog getting a shout-out is a :unsmith: moment.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

piL posted:

Knew this was dancing mad without clicking, lol

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

silvergoose posted:

Knew this was dancing mad without clicking, lol

:hfive: I briefly considered Liberi Fatali, but there was only one true answer.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I feel like we all need a happy story right about now.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Sounds like he hosed around and found out

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

boop the snoot posted:

gently caress people like this.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

boop the snoot posted:

dumb piece of poo poo

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
that’s why you’re loving dead! Dummy!!!!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
High water mark for the day reached, it's all downhill from here.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Someones bound to make an art book where it's

Twitter dude being anti-mask/anti-vax -> gets covid -> dies.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
What a coincidence that white conservatives think voting not a right

https://twitter.com/pewresearch/status/1418511464986521601?s=21

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

What a coincidence that white conservatives think voting not a right

I think the more surprising take is, a third of hispanics and asians, and near a fourth of black of people surveyed want their voting rights abridged.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Defenestrategy posted:

I think the more surprising take is, a third of hispanics and asians, and near a fourth of black of people surveyed want their voting rights abridged.

Probably more likely they never knew it was a right to begin with due to misinformation

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Meanwhile in my idiot state full of idiots and run by idiots..

After making national news for the last month for having skyrocketing covid case rates, the state government is intent on making sure nobody reverses the trend:

https://twitter.com/Eric_Schmitt/status/1418750390875529219

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
The age split is interesting too, FYGM really must be an Olds thing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Flikken posted:

The age split is interesting too, FYGM really must be an Olds thing.

Not many people who aren't old have managed to get theirs, shockingly

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The common use of the word 'rights' is ambiguous and as a result you should expect a lack of consensus. Heck, those two survey options listed kind of demonstrate that contention.

On one hand the question asks: is voting a right for all us citizrns or a privilege with responsibilities? What if it's a right with responsibilities? What if you feel privileged to have that right? What if somebody caught you on a survey and didn't give you a thorough context for the implicit distinctions between rights and privileges?

In even more obvious contention, via a logical joiner AND, it asks: can voting be limited or should it not be restricted.

I believe most of us here would say that it should not be restricted, but there is clear and obvious evidence that it can be limited.

It might seem pedantic to reference the 'logical joiner AND', but so is relying on common understanding of the distinctions between rights and privileges. Meanwhile, a survey question where two answers each have two parts and possible to share beliefs on either answer at the same time (it's a right and can be limited) is bad survey design. Not showing the non response is intentionally misleading. I have a hard time understanding what that data actually explains about the population. It seems to say more about the language that people use surrounding the topic. Reducing the survey outcome to subordinate statements is disingenuous and is not shown by the data.

Edit: they show the nonresponse of 1% in the data sheet, the rest still stands.

piL fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 24, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sure but do you think for a second that white conservatives would respond with the same answers if the verbiage was identical except about guns?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1418600598631436293?s=19

https://twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1418718135939526657?s=19

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

mlmp08 posted:

Sure but do you think for a second that white conservatives would respond with the same answers if the verbiage was identical except about guns?

I'm not saying it's not measuring something, but since that measurement is poorly described, what does 48% mean vice 58%? Because demographics responded in the following proportions, is the conclusion made in the following post that these groups of people want their voting rights abridged an appropriate conclusoom? Is even the less extreme conclusion that they land on a specific side of a shared definition of privileges vs rights an appropriate conclusion?

I suspect that what we're measuring here is the ratio of talking point structure received by these groups and how that media consumption prompts certain responses to people not deeply engaging a question. I concede that you're probably right about a hypothetical 2nd amendment version of this. But I would assumenthe question of whether it's a right or a privilege to not have soldiers quartered in your home would be closer to 50/50 across all demos because nobody has prepped their responses through a media barrage. This is not about belief, but call and response to messaging. The change in this measure from before and after a particular media campaign is really the delta Pew is paid to measure and demonstrate, not people's actual beliefs.

Defenestrategy posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oh my god

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
drat

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1418602585091493897

lmao

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
like a perfect 2008 South Park level of :stonklol: and :discourse:

Oh gently caress they have that emote!

:distonk:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I mean, Korean racism is next level indefensible, but I can also applaud an official broadcaster going full gently caress you

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Koreans, while being wonderful, hospitable people can also incredibly racist.
Saw a lot of it where I was living in South Jeolla province. Not a lot of Korean women want to live there so farmers find wives from Thailand, Philippines, etc. The old people are total assholes to them, and if there's kids involved the kids are terrible to the "half-breeds" (their words).

God help you if you're black and living down there. You need to have some thick loving skin to tolerate what's thrown at you.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

GD_American posted:

I mean, Korean racism is next level indefensible, but I can also applaud an official broadcaster going full gently caress you

I'll take it over NBC.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

MA-Horus posted:

Humans, while being wonderful, hospitable people can also be incredibly racist.
FTFY

Without the right education and socialization, pretty much everyone is highly susceptible to superstition and fear of the unfamiliar.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

TBH that's not too far removed from what NBC does.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Eason the Fifth posted:

Conversely, the rock and roll hall of fame is kinda lame, though they may have improved it since I was there

Nope!

I’m actually about an hour outside of Cleveland but made the trip specifically because the R&R HOF is a bucket list item.

It was very underwhelming.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

Nope!

I’m actually about an hour outside of Cleveland but made the trip specifically because the R&R HOF is a bucket list item.

And that is after they spent 5 years working to be less underwhelming. Its still thoroughly meh.

Not really worth it as a bucket list item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

boop the snoot posted:

Nope!

Did you tour the WWII sub right next door?