Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ElBrak posted:

*Twenty goons piss into a well, nearby Fremen gasp in awe and whisper among themselves* They give water to the stupid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ease up, pissing on someone is a sign of honor!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

The CG tracking of Paul's golden stillsuit armour helmet is the only thing that bothers me about the trailer, and the more I think about it, it _really_ bothers me. You'd think that tech would be a bit better in 2021. I suspect it's Paul's prescience seeing his jihad and not an actual battle taking place until pt. 2, so hopefully they have some time to refine it by then.

It's got WH40K vibe to it too. Its probably a vision.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Automatic Slim posted:

It's got WH40K vibe to it too. Its probably a vision.

It might be that. My other guess is that it's a movie add-on, and it's part of when Paul escapes the initial Harkonnen/Sardaukar attack, losing the suit after meeting with Liet to escape, adding to the feeling of being completely without means. Considering the 10 mins preview, it's quite probable it is a vision since it's shown in the harvester scene that Paul has them, and they are presented on screen.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Hasselblad posted:

Can someone remind me of what point in the book Paul was wearing actual armor?

Never, even though armor is an excellent counter to edged weapons. It just didn't fit with Frank's aesthetic I guess. I suppose dukes and barons strutting around in armor trying to literally backstab each other doesn't sound very sci-fi.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why didn't they wear suits of plate armor under the shields,

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

A lot of things were about tradition and decorum and complex social rules

So I guess the only sensible answer is "kanly"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Colonel Cancer posted:

they'd look like they were afraid

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Uncle Enzo posted:

Never, even though armor is an excellent counter to edged weapons. It just didn't fit with Frank's aesthetic I guess. I suppose dukes and barons strutting around in armor trying to literally backstab each other doesn't sound very sci-fi.

I don't have my copy loaded onto this phone but didn't the pit fighter that Feyd fought wear physical armour?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

exmachina posted:

I don't have my copy loaded onto this phone but didn't the pit fighter that Feyd fought wear physical armour?

Nope. They both wore personal shields (the slave's was half-sized). But as Feyd started stabbing him with barbs, he started lashing them to his own arms with fabric and using them to deflect the attacks, which threw Feyd off temporarily.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

hey turbonerds, what is ibad :confused:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

yourbad is not knowing it's the Fremen term for the blue-within-blue eyes that indicate you're addicted to spice and have a lot of it in your blood.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ror posted:

what is ibad :confused:

something to do with delaying a spice blow

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Ror posted:

hey turbonerds, what is ibad :confused:

Not much, what's ibad with you?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Given that poison gas is 100% a thing in universe and also turning the trigger velocity on your shield too low causes issues with getting enough oxygen to breath whilst exerting yourself? I would expect in a completely practical setting for elite fighters to wear Space Plate Armour along with their shields, with piped air supplies and similar. Of course that would probably be 100% immune to any kind of muscle powered weapon given their tech and so would lead to fewer exciting knife/sword fights and... I am not sure.

People wrestling each other with cordless angle grinders? Grenades on sticks? Pouring acid on each other? I could see wrestling with angle grinders being pretty good for dramatic scenes though, villains snarling evilly as you struggle over the grinder being pushed forward a face and similar.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They don't wear armor for the same reason they don't use guns.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
has anyone done Dune on Ice yet? asking for a friend

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'd probably watch a Cirque du Soleil adaptation of DUNE, tbh. It might be the closest thing we'll ever get to Jodorowsky's ideas.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Dune has this amazing ability to be completely bonkers while also relentlessly prodding the bit of the brain responsible for rationally analysing how things work.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
ok so if this dunc part 1 is just gonna be called “Dune” what would part 2 be called?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

They don't wear armor for the same reason they don't use guns.

They don't use guns as we know them because the shields negate that sort of poo poo, but IIRC they do have some sort of weird slow dart guns that can penetrate shields... which seems like a perfectly good reason to wear armor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you have armor on they loose the house ferrets on you to worm inside the cracks and eat you from within

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

ColTim posted:

ok so if this dunc part 1 is just gonna be called “Dune” what would part 2 be called?

2ne

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ColTim posted:

2une

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lmao gently caress

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't know about the sequel but the 3rd part will definitely be called Dun3

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Lmao gently caress

:69snypa:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

The CG tracking of Paul's golden stillsuit armour helmet is the only thing that bothers me about the trailer, and the more I think about it, it _really_ bothers me. You'd think that tech would be a bit better in 2021. I suspect it's Paul's prescience seeing his jihad and not an actual battle taking place until pt. 2, so hopefully they have some time to refine it by then.

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1418237722163023872?s=20

oh and here's a prop crysknife if you have too much money.

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1418280349197606912?s=20

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

gently caress OFF

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

uber_stoat posted:

oh and here's a prop crysknife if you have too much money.

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1418280349197606912?s=20

a hundred and sixty bucks and they don't even use real tooth, smh

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Why does everyone say “it’s probably from the jihad” when there’s a worm attacking in the background and that’s a thing that happens when they breach the shield wall

Edit: I’m saying it’s a vision of the battle of the shield wall, I know that’s not going to be in part one as such. Just that it’s clearly on Dune but the jihad is offworld and people are being wrong on the internet.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 25, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ColTim posted:

Deuxne

Villeneuve is a French Quebecer after all

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Dune 2: JiHarder

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

priznat posted:

Deuxne

Villeneuve is a French Quebecer after all

Duner

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

Patrat posted:

People wrestling each other with cordless angle grinders?

The mental image of sting and agent cooper in full plate going at each other with angle grinders is cracking me the gently caress up, thank you.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Also do you think that’s an inkvine whip in the trailer?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

One of the Dune youtubers mentioned in passing that they had heard the grand plan was for a trilogy: Dune, Dune Prophet, Dune Messiah.

Makes a ton of sense, the last time this thread talked sequel names I think I even suggested that exact breakdown. I'm still partial to the faux historical gravitas of just using years - Dune 10191 and Dune 10193. But that makes more sense for supplemental or spinoff media in other mediums.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ColTim posted:

I'd repeat my joke about DUNC: AN IDAHO being the title for the sequel, but "Deuxne" is too loving perfect.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Dune$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS