Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

Really hoping tomb kings make their triumphant return

"Oh, drat - we forgot to add Tomb Kings again. Oops!" - GW

Mr.Booger posted:

you know, after rebasing 400+ skaven to play aos without feeling like I'm cheating having them on smaller bases...gently caress you GW. Just make it different scale so it can be a new (well warmaster was actually alot of fun) game.
This. I think there are going to be a lot of pissed off people unless GW somehow makes accommodations for them having rebased everything to be usable in AoS. Then again, why would they give a poo poo - they didn't before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I don't know, old war is so far into the future that moving the circular bases absolutely made sense up until now. Even now, if I only had one AOS army that was on square bases I would absolutely convert. I had the benefit of multiple armies to let one slip by. I'd certainly not be looking at an army I made for AOS and eyeing it to use for a system that is far out and with unknown rules just yet.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mr.Booger posted:

you know, after rebasing 400+ skaven to play aos without feeling like I'm cheating having them on smaller bases...gently caress you GW. Just make it different scale so it can be a new (well warmaster was actually alot of fun) game.

I'm planning on just getting trays like this one.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Floppychop posted:

I'm planning on just getting trays like this one.

Oh I have them, but they make a 5 skaven wide unit about 135-140mm instead of 100mm if on 20mm square bases. In a game all about positioning and flanks, that's a huge difference (from years of playing fantasy, and Napoleonics/Historical ancients, bigger units are harder to maneuver by design, and are part of the points cost generally). To an army that was based on 25mm originally like Orcs or Chaos Warriors, probably no big deal, they have less units and were already that size, but I play Skaven, its more significant that you might think when you have 10+ blocks of troops.

If am going to use 25mm ranked minis on round bases in unit sabol trays...I will just play Oathmark, which is designed for that exact setup.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:ssh: It'll work fine if everyone in your group does it.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Deofuta posted:

I don't know, old war is so far into the future that moving the circular bases absolutely made sense up until now. Even now, if I only had one AOS army that was on square bases I would absolutely convert. I had the benefit of multiple armies to let one slip by. I'd certainly not be looking at an army I made for AOS and eyeing it to use for a system that is far out and with unknown rules just yet.
So far into the future, they didn't even mention how many years until the release like they did pre-COVID in more optimistic times. In the three years I've been playing AoS, I've only seen one game of rank & file (I think it was WFB 6th edition or something) been played at my local store and frankly, it didn't look that fun. Another guy is trying to start KoW or Conquest and nobody is following him, same with the two dudes who tried to introduce ASOIAF. We'll see what happens.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mr.Booger posted:

Oh I have them, but they make a 5 skaven wide unit about 135-140mm instead of 100mm if on 20mm square bases. In a game all about positioning and flanks, that's a huge difference (from years of playing fantasy, and Napoleonics/Historical ancients, bigger units are harder to maneuver by design, and are part of the points cost generally). To an army that was based on 25mm originally like Orcs or Chaos Warriors, probably no big deal, they have less units and were already that size, but I play Skaven, its more significant that you might think when you have 10+ blocks of troops.

They might surprise us and allow 20 mm based models to go 4 wide and get a rank bonus if they are spread out more (functionally as being on the wider round bases), then bring out their own round base movement trays so they can make a bit of cash from it as well? Nah who am I kidding, if they've said square bases, that's all they'll allow.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

moths posted:

:ssh: It'll work fine if everyone in your group does it.

I play in multiple friend groups, some are much more "competitive" than others, while one group would not care, others would. Also do the models that originally came on 25mm squares need to move to 30mm frontages to match my size increase? How about the 50mm monsters that I could get 4 models into before, and now only 3..the game functions on base frontages and unit depths (as most rank and flank games do) so those things matter.

Not trying to be all doom and gloom, I know a I am abit grognard-y, I mean I do play historical games sometimes. But some games base size is not a big deal, most skirmish games it doesn't matter at all, or at most some models aura gets 2mm bigger. But block troops games its a pseudo-hidden stat, like weapon reach in AOS, its a huge deal when it comes to actually playing the game, but looks less significant on paper.

Edit: if they allowed 4 wide ranks for old 20mm based models that would be nice, but then you run into the issue of do I pay points for that 5th model that isnt there, if not my units got much cheaper as I only need to pay points for 16 models to get the footprint of 20. If they just say here is the footprint of the unit and here are the points...well you are playing kings of war now without the benefit of non-model removal that changes your unit size.

I know I can make it work with one friend group, we hack everything we can, but it makes pickup games and any tournaments/narrative events at the local shop a pain.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 21, 2021

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I have accepted maybe I am just old and grumpy. The whole thing is so nebulous that it could not come out at all based on a company direction change or come out and be immediately unsupported. Not going to worry about it til 6 months after it comes out, we will see if it has legs.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I started a Mawtribes army recently (decided to pick up war hams again after more than 10 years not playing) I was scrolling through reddit and saw this post which for other Ogor or potential Ogor players is worth taking note of

"Hi folks,

Just off the phone with my local store trying to order a start collecting box (beastclaw raiders) and he told me that his last delivery of the boxes was only a quarter of what he had ordered and he had been told that they were not restocking the box.

Just a heads up, if anyone is looking to pick it up while it is still available!

Edit: I should add I cant guarantee this, this is just what I was told."

the implication being they are discontinuing that box.

Super excited if we are getting a new kit. Now I just need to source a Mawpot and cross my fingers they make plastic Yeti's and slaughtermasters.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Probably just phasing out the start collecting boxes for something like the Combat Patrol boxes like 40k has.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's been a while now, how are people feeling about the Gravelords in terms of viability? I've been out of the loop for a while, but I'm thinking about picking up a version of them as a new army.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Gravelords are generally considered a top-tier army at the moment, since the new GHB barely touched their points, pretty much all their units are solid and the 3.0 FAQ buffed their attrition game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wanted them to add a turbo winged helmets style dwarf faction to AOS but any excuse to paint an existing big wing helmet dwarf is fine.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Grungni’s return means there’s at least some hope for Khazalid expansion.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Soulblights are super boring. That could be salt over losing my Legions army.

I gave up on undead entirely to move to Orruks

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The new undead were what piqued my interest to get back into the fantasy hobby, if Cursed City hadn't been such a debacle I'd have probably got that and used the figs as the base of a new vamp army. But I'm also enjoying the Orruks, it's amazing putting together the Dominion set, the figures are so well designed and go together so easily. I did buy the Blood Bowl box and those figures were so much worse in comparison, I'm glad GW got it right this time. The Hobgrots are a bit weird though, I've put together the 20 models and there's till about 10 body halfs in the kit that there's nothing to do with. I'm sure that's on purpose but such a weird way of doing it!

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Wheres the best place to talk about list building for AoS?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

The new undead were what piqued my interest to get back into the fantasy hobby, if Cursed City hadn't been such a debacle I'd have probably got that and used the figs as the base of a new vamp army. But I'm also enjoying the Orruks, it's amazing putting together the Dominion set, the figures are so well designed and go together so easily. I did buy the Blood Bowl box and those figures were so much worse in comparison, I'm glad GW got it right this time. The Hobgrots are a bit weird though, I've put together the 20 models and there's till about 10 body halfs in the kit that there's nothing to do with. I'm sure that's on purpose but such a weird way of doing it!

You can get the undead part of Cursed City separately now, although they are pretty pricy: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Soulblight-Gravelords-Radukars-Court-2021

Two Headed Calf posted:

Wheres the best place to talk about list building for AoS?

Here seems like a pretty good place!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/26/dragons-are-back-and-theyre-going-to-change-the-mortal-realms-forever/

Holy poo poo. Those look amazing.:tviv:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 26, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Lol yeah I just saw those big boy puppers. Looks like I chose to play sigmarines at the right time.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Great sculpts, but I really prefer the Skyrim/GoT style dragons

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dragons fighting for Sigmar is incredibly lame. They should be a wildcard or a new faction or something other than Stormcast lackeys

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Counterpoint: lol get rekt dragonbroz for lyfe

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dragons fighting for Sigmar is incredibly lame. They should be a wildcard or a new faction or something other than Stormcast lackeys

GW has to push Stormcast somehow.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I love how goofy they look!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I love my new smug dragons.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well I guess I should get the dominion box if dragons are in it...

EDIT the army not the box

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Not my thing at all, but I think a lot of people will be happy with plain old dragons

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
They aren't the weird hosed up dragonlings the regular Stormcast have, so yes they're 100% an improvement.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Stormcasts' weird menagerie is like the one thing I find mildly interesting about them

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Floppychop posted:

GW has to push Stormcast somehow.

Gotta have more things for Gotrek to ally with!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You say that because they havent released chaos fallen dragons yet.

Or skeletal dragons

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

The write-up for Karazai the scarred makes it sound like he isn’t actually part of the Stormcast and more of a wildcard loving things up in Ghur.

It’s generally not a great idea to read too much into Warhammer Community preview posts but it sounds like he could be a Gotrek-style general Order ally, or perhaps even Chaos (Khorne?) aligned if he has gotten too into revenge and wrath.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
New dragons own. I like that they're just sentient dudes and not mounts for other dudes

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We're gonna get more details in the coming daus, at least. And the sculpts are real good.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I really don't like the faces, they look like goofy pixar characters rather than vicious creatures.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

These dragons don't look yell "Warhammer!" at me, but they're going to sell to people who just really like dragons.

If there's a way to play them alone (like the giants,) I can definitely see them pulling in new players from the D&D crowd.

Geisladisk posted:

You can get the undead part of Cursed City separately now, although they are pretty pricy: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Soulblight-Gravelords-Radukars-Court-2021 place!

This leaves out the cool City Guard and the divisive zombies and all the undead wildlife! And somehow still costs 60% of Cursed City without the game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Even if they’re officially SCE units, that still means 1 in 4 Cities of Sigmar coalition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Mors Rattus posted:

Even if they’re officially SCE units, that still means 1 in 4 Cities of Sigmar coalition.

A CoS army running dragons and phoenixes would be pretty cool

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 26, 2021