Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zesty posted:

I only have played Dark Souls 2 for a few hours previously. I had just 100%ed both DS1 and DS3 and, I must say, DS2 seems really loving good, just starting out. They were really going for something different here and I appreciate it so far.

By comparison, DS3 seems like a step backwards.

Gonna save you an early headache, put your first 20-30 levels into adaptation, trust us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

And Tyler Too! posted:

Gonna save you an early headache, put your first 20-30 levels into adaptation, trust us.

And to save you another headache, that's an exaggeration; while some early levels in ADP are useful, especially if you're starting at a very low value, you shouldn't neglect VIG for HP.

ADP's main role is to level a secondary stat, AGL, which governs rolling/backstep iframes and speed of estus drinking. Each level of ADP raises AGL by .75; each level of ATT increases AGL by .25.

Getting AGL to 86 is super-important if it's below that, because that adds 3 iframes to your roll. You'll get another iframe on your roll at 88, 92, 96 and 99, so if you're just throwing points into ADP, it will take 4/5 levels per iframe.

Iframes are great, but don't be a piece of tissue paper that dies if you ever botch a roll, or a weakling that can't use interesting weapons or spells.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can get 20 levels of adaptability from the first boss, levels are cheap af. That will give you enough to be getting on with. Later you can add more to round out your build if you really want.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Zesty posted:

I only have played Dark Souls 2 for a few hours previously. I had just 100%ed both DS1 and DS3 and, I must say, DS2 seems really loving good, just starting out. They were really going for something different here and I appreciate it so far.

By comparison, DS3 seems like a step backwards.

hell yeah brother!!!!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
Enjoy the ride!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Wanna make a mod where the Pursuer appears whenever you spawn somewhere and continuously pursues you throughout the entire game. If you kill him you get a 5 minute break until he appears and starts chasing you again. The only way to avoid him is at Majula or in boss arenas.

Sorry, I had enough of Mr X on RE2make.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Guillermus posted:

Sorry, I had enough of Mr X on RE2make.

DS2 would be Game of the Century if the Pursuer had a little fedora you could shoot off with a precise arrow shot.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm playing with the Augur of Darkness mod installed at the moment, since I wanted more DS2 but also wanted to mix things up a little bit.

It's been interesting so far, I'll give it that. There are some ambitious changes that are pretty neat--for instance, the Forest of Fallen Giants critical path takes you through the bottom of the flame room before you even get to the Cardinal Tower bonfire. Some of them are a little more...inexplicable, like the Shaded Woods getting changed so that instead of just running through the foggy party, you have to climb up on top of what looks, literally, like some kind of window awning and then climb back down beyond an impassable tree wall.

And then sometimes there's just
loving
pots
everywhere. Not even curse pots. Both sides of the entire Shaded Ruins bonfire structure are just lines with pots. Heide's Tower, which actually feels like a full zone, also filled with pots. I get it, dude, you can put new pots wherever you want.

In a number of places, things are reworked into interesting new layouts or challenges, but i'm definitely already feeling the Dark Souls community memes starting to crop up. Basilisks are a lot more common, every rat carries petrification, the Old Akkelare spot where you unfreeze Rosabeth now has tons of buffed bonewheels. Haha. Remember? Like in funny Catacombs.

It's interesting enough that I'm planning to stick it out through the whole game, now that I'm no longer dying from fall damage from jumping off the spot they put the first FoFG bonfire.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

And Tyler Too! posted:

Paracelsus posted:

And to save you another headache, that's an exaggeration; while some early levels in ADP are useful, especially if you're starting at a very low value, you shouldn't neglect VIG for HP.

ADP's main role is to level a secondary stat, AGL, which governs rolling/backstep iframes and speed of estus drinking. Each level of ADP raises AGL by .75; each level of ATT increases AGL by .25.

Getting AGL to 86 is super-important if it's below that, because that adds 3 iframes to your roll. You'll get another iframe on your roll at 88, 92, 96 and 99, so if you're just throwing points into ADP, it will take 4/5 levels per iframe.

Iframes are great, but don't be a piece of tissue paper that dies if you ever botch a roll, or a weakling that can't use interesting weapons or spells.

I'll keep this in mind. I appreciate your hot tips.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

DS2 would be Game of the Century if the Pursuer had a little fedora you could shoot off with a precise arrow shot.

M' hollow... *tips fedora*

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Every. Single. Rat King Invasion. They always panic.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/JauntyAjarAnhinga-mobile.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lmao owned

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

That mammoth has one helluva Stand.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’m 27 rat tails in. Almost no one gets a hit in. Absolutely no one has beaten this strategy yet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Prism Stones. I'd drop the max 30 if I knew where to buy them at this point. I skipped some content just to get here.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ConsiderateAntiqueJunebug-mobile.mp4

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
I finally took the plunge and started on the SotFS edition after only having played through the ps3 OG version multiple times. The changes to enemy placements throws me off (and honestly a bit weird to see weird enemies in places that I don't think should be there lore-wise), but I'm excited to finally be able to play the DLCs which I've never done. Just finished all of the bosses in the Sunken King DLC and it was... challenging. I've just been using a +10 mace and going a str build because I can't seem to decide on a fun str weapon, but that's mostly because it still wrecks. Anyone have any good weapon suggestions? Which one of the big fat swords is the best for PVE?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I liked the idea of this covenant a lot. I wish they had done it again for DS3. All the traps and pulling people into your world rather than defending territory on someone else's.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Zesty posted:

I liked the idea of this covenant a lot. I wish they had done it again for DS3. All the traps and pulling people into your world rather than defending territory on someone else's.

Zesty posted:

I’m 27 rat tails in. Almost no one gets a hit in. Absolutely no one has beaten this strategy yet.

This is why they didn’t try it again basically. It’s a complete guaranteed stomp unless the rat is afk or actively trying to lose.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's fun though

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Paracelsus posted:

I've played through DS2 a few times and had no idea ADP had so much effect (or really what AGL did), so I'll definitely be giving this a shot on my next run. Maybe I'll start having a slightly less horrible time in the later game / DLC areas

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

the Paper posted:

I finally took the plunge and started on the SotFS edition after only having played through the ps3 OG version multiple times. The changes to enemy placements throws me off (and honestly a bit weird to see weird enemies in places that I don't think should be there lore-wise), but I'm excited to finally be able to play the DLCs which I've never done. Just finished all of the bosses in the Sunken King DLC and it was... challenging. I've just been using a +10 mace and going a str build because I can't seem to decide on a fun str weapon, but that's mostly because it still wrecks. Anyone have any good weapon suggestions? Which one of the big fat swords is the best for PVE?
There's no absolute best, only preferences. Try out a few to get a feel for movesets. You might not like Ultra Greatswords because their R2 can change direction mid-swing, for example - maybe a heavily scaling Greatsword (e.g. Mastodon) is right for you then.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It's fun though

It has its appeal but imo gets old. I think they would have done better to give a variety of spawn locations (which probably would have required them to redesign the zones). When everyone spawns in the same place every time the rat can just sit there and pick them off as they arrive.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Seems like the key problem with Doors is that you have to overcome that initial gauntlet of Mastodon + rat dogs to even get to the fun trap parts. Grave is insultingly small, but at least you're in the thick of it almost immediately.

I do wish we had a better idea of how the original version of Grave worked. Guessing the big circular rat maze would've helped alleviate some of these problems.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

skasion posted:

This is why they didn’t try it again basically. It’s a complete guaranteed stomp unless the rat is afk or actively trying to lose.

one day the technology will exist to seamlessly merge two worlds online, instead of dropping some chump into the ambush zone all the time

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't know if the ratbro pathways being a killing field was specifically why they didn't implement something like them again. DS3 in general just has very uh... standard covenants I guess. The helpful golds, the red dicks, the gank zone crews, and the blue cops. The only big shakeup were the purples, who are slightly more chaotic PK covenant. The Spears of the Church that were added with the DLC were a good addition, too, though the PVP boss was something they'd already done before. Bloodborne didn't have anything too snazzy, either. Covenants always seem like one of the last priorities of the dev teams and I imagine designing anything more complex than straightforward PVP or co-op covenants is a lot to figure out and balance. And then when it doesn't work, we get things like the Gravelords and Ratbros that have mixed results.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Wanna make a mod where the Pursuer appears whenever you spawn somewhere and continuously pursues you throughout the entire game. If you kill him you get a 5 minute break until he appears and starts chasing you again. The only way to avoid him is at Majula or in boss arenas.

Even better, make something like the Shadow of Mordor nemesis system, where any enemy that kills you gets a name and levels up, and becomes an invader that randomly shows up.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Pamela Springstein posted:

one day the technology will exist to seamlessly merge two worlds online, instead of dropping some chump into the ambush zone all the time

Chris Roberts of AAA+ space sim Star Citizen is about to perfect server meshing technology and make this a reality in two weeks.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

the Paper posted:

The changes to enemy placements throws me off (and honestly a bit weird to see weird enemies in places that I don't think should be there lore-wise)
Curious which ones you mean, here, because they generally make waaay more sense to me in SotFS than the original.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Rat King covenant owns. Ganking people at the front door does get old but there are a lot more creative and fun ways to deal with people invading your rat world.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Purple phantoms in DS3 were very close to being great, but i think the concept was slightly off--the mechanics for summoning and invading being the same as the other covenants was the problem, I think. They should have always shown up in a random player's world and been able to both gently caress with and help players.

Ironically, I did something a bit like that back in DS1--one of the memory cheats you can use would lock you into one phantom type, but allow you to be summoned into someone's world through whatever summoning mechanic you'd used. So for example, I could use the red eye orb, connect to someone as if I was invading them, but then when I appeared in their world, I would be a white phantom, and would aggro enemies. Because one of the invasion spawn kocations is the Hellkite Drake's bridge, I would run down to the bonfire right beneath him and open the gate, then go find whoever was waiting for an invader and then just wave them over and show then the cool shortcut, then let myself die.

That was what I wanted the experience of purple phantoms to be like. Ah well.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD

Akuma posted:

Curious which ones you mean, here, because they generally make waaay more sense to me in SotFS than the original.

Specifically the Executioner Chariot horse in the middle of Drangleic castle, and the Flexile Sentry now in the basement of Sinner's Rise as opposed to the Undead Aberrations. I thought the Aberrations made more sense since it's a weird dungeon, and the chariot... how the hell did the horses even get into the room? The Elephant Knights made more sense there. Oh and the random two or so Old Knights in Shrine of Amana, which to me was a twisted magic area so you wouldn't expect the Knights. I do like the addition of Heide Knights in the actual Heide Tower area since it's the namesake and all.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm dreading trying to grind for the sunlight medals but I really want that sword.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I had a relatively easy time grinding for Sunlight medals to max out my covenant rating. Earlier in the game Freja and Looking glass knight had constant action for me, then later on I did several back-to-back runs for Elana, Squalid queen. Generally I had luck putting the symbol out in front of the boss door when there was "action" on the zone (the orange borders).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Djeser posted:

Purple phantoms in DS3 were very close to being great, but i think the concept was slightly off--the mechanics for summoning and invading being the same as the other covenants was the problem, I think. They should have always shown up in a random player's world and been able to both gently caress with and help players.

Ironically, I did something a bit like that back in DS1--one of the memory cheats you can use would lock you into one phantom type, but allow you to be summoned into someone's world through whatever summoning mechanic you'd used. So for example, I could use the red eye orb, connect to someone as if I was invading them, but then when I appeared in their world, I would be a white phantom, and would aggro enemies. Because one of the invasion spawn kocations is the Hellkite Drake's bridge, I would run down to the bonfire right beneath him and open the gate, then go find whoever was waiting for an invader and then just wave them over and show then the cool shortcut, then let myself die.

That was what I wanted the experience of purple phantoms to be like. Ah well.

Very glad they didn't do this because a well meaning white invading my world and doing the content for me is absolutely the last thing I want to happen

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Someone invaded me in the lost bastille and showed me where the hidden bonfire was, i was very grateful lol, would never have found it otherwise

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I always used to try to ring the ship bell in Lost Man's Wharf during invasions.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

multijoe posted:

Very glad they didn't do this because a well meaning white invading my world and doing the content for me is absolutely the last thing I want to happen

I'm upset they didn't do this specifically because that's the kind of poo poo I want to pull. It's viddeo games babey let's make some emergent experiences

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Djeser posted:

I'm upset they didn't do this specifically because that's the kind of poo poo I want to pull. It's viddeo games babey let's make some emergent experiences

I think a sunbro turning up uninvited and killing a black knight for you before you even knew one was there would create less emergent experiences, there's already a system there is someone wants your help but if they didn't ask you have no business being there

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

But then you'll have such a cool creepypasta of the time you got invaded and everything in the world was dead and instead of Solaire's sun drawing making the normal face it's making a hyper-realistic angry face with blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Djeser posted:

But then you'll have such a cool creepypasta of the time you got invaded and everything in the world was dead and instead of Solaire's sun drawing making the normal face it's making a hyper-realistic angry face with blood.

If you want to do twee roleplay stuff you can still do that as an dark spirit, you just can't undermine the central premise of the game