Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's pretty funny when they come out with this "with all this gender going around, what would happen with [antiquated dilemma]" and the answer is just like "a birth certificate, as a Crown document, supersedes any of your 'basic biology' for purposes of law" or "with gay marriage, what would happen if the king married a man, would we have two kings?" and the answer is just "no the one in line would be king and his husband would be Prince Consort, that's been the case for centuries" because all these old rear end institutions that predate the modern state have contingencies for things far more unusual than whatever sex/gender thing the Mail is mad about this week.

I mean when you've had to deal with the proper line of succession for someone who is simultaneously the grandson, nephew-by-marriage and second cousin of the King and half-brother of the Queen things like gender and same-sex marriage are barely a speed bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Me banging on the table yelling "GAVELKIND, GAVELKIND, GAVELKIND!"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

The USSR was

A: bluffing for its entire existence
B: putting all of its eggs in the nuke basket, and still coming short of the US.

The US didn't have artillery pieces, that's true, but it could compel Europe to shed its wares on the basis that the US owned Europe's crippling war debt. They didn't have to ask France nicely or beg at all. So even though their mobilised force was tiny, they enjoyed the aggregate of the developed western world's militaries.

The other issue with the USSR is that they're fighting constant expansionist wars on all sides. Their military strength, numerically, is impressive but the amount that they can actually commit to an outside threat without facing rebellion is a fraction of that. The US enjoyed its relative isolation.

Mate, the proposed NATO response to a Soviet invasion of Europe in the 1950s was 'instantly nukes!' precisely because it was so outmatched in ground forces. That's all of NATO, not just America on its tod. These are, you know, the same ground forces that obliterated the Nazis a decade earlier. That certainly wasn't a bluff. I literally do not understand where you're getting 'putting all of its eggs in the nuke basket' from, that's more America earlier on if anything, the USSR always had a massive army.

I'm not sure how being able to obliterate the entire planet is 'coming short of the US' either, to be honest. The US simply wasnt a unipolar hegemonic power in the Cold War. Nobody at the time thought so, nobody but you thinks so today. You don't get a Cuban Missile Crisis in situations where the US can just effortlessly overpower anyone else.

As for constant expansionist wars...um...where, post WW2? Afghanistan I'll give you maybe, but then the US was in Vietnam too.

Edit: oh, you were talking about the US being able to compel France to hand over gear in World War 1 via war debts. Um. The US absolutely did not enter World War 1 with an attitude of 'oy France give us all your gear or we'll bankrupt you', that's just a ludicrous take. Settling the debts was a postwar thing, in turn in theory based on Germany repaying war debts to France - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellon%E2%80%93Berenger_Agreement

Also, when I say 'anything bigger than a rifle' I mean it. Tanks, for one thing. Also this godawful piece of poo poo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauchat - the US couldn't even supply enough light machine guns for its expeditionary force. Global dominance this really is not.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 24, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's especially pointless as the Succession to the Crown Act 2013 altered the rules to remove gender bias. From William and Harry's kids on, primogeniture is absolute.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
For the monarchy, but the House of Lords voted that didn't apply to baronetcies and so on.

In the few cases where it did come up, the verdicts were shrouded in secrecy, but tended towards trans men being men, but the Gender Recognition Act put a formal stop to that because the Lords again.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

It's especially pointless as the Succession to the Crown Act 2013 altered the rules to remove gender bias. From William and Harry's kids on, primogeniture is absolute.

That only applies to royal succeson though right? I remember multiple whining articles in papers from the children of barons and peers and whatnot complaining about its totally unfair that they dont get all the titles that they want.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

feedmegin posted:

Edit: oh, you were talking about the US being able to compel France to hand over gear in World War 1 via war debts. Um. The US absolutely did not enter World War 1 with an attitude of 'oy France give us all your gear or we'll bankrupt you', that's just a ludicrous take. Settling the debts was a postwar thing, in turn in theory based on Germany repaying war debts to France - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellon%E2%80%93Berenger_Agreement

Important to note that one of the major factors for the US entering the war was the fact that most of Wall Street had been lending so much money to the allies that the allies losing the war was a disastrous proposition for US capital, a point that was not lost on Woodrow Wilson who thought that the US getting involved was "a crime against civilisation".

France and Britain were absolutely dependent on US finance to continue the war though and likely would have had to surrender had the USA pulled it's money out.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

France and Britain were absolutely dependent on US finance to continue the war though and likely would have had to surrender had the USA pulled it's money out.

During the war? If the US had done that they'd both have just stuck two fingers up at the US and kept going til the war was won or lost, what's the US going to do, come over and repo poo poo? Sovereign nation states with their own currencies have options not open to us private citizens.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That only applies to royal succeson though right? I remember multiple whining articles in papers from the children of barons and peers and whatnot complaining about its totally unfair that they dont get all the titles that they want.

If they wanted titles then they should've taken a page out of Game of Thrones/Imperial China and made sure they were the only people left eligible for them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or forcedly regenderize all your competitors.

Fire and ROGD by JRR Rowling.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

There are people out there that are completely baffled by trans and non binary people, as if the whole world has left them behind.

The only thing that gives me that feeling is the fact that Tom Hardy was at Barry Island today, I don't understand that at all.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Or forcedly regenderize all your competitors.

Fire and ROGD by JRR Rowling.

Ah, the Imperial China method, with a sharp knife and hot poker.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's JKR so I assume the big bad would trans all the sons of the other noble houses by supporting self-ID and talking about gender on the internet, and will only be stopped by a radical feminist wizard abolishing hereditary titles gender and exposing the billionaires who fund Big Tran, who are all called Hirschfeld but you're the one with the problem if you notice.

As a work of fantasy I assume her "actual real transsexual friend who doesn't think she said anything wrong" will be in it too.

e: Just remembered the murderer who wears a burka and carries a halal takeaway in one of her actual terrible books lmao

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 24, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1416297827169456130?s=19

apparently they were told to leave and asked to sign their absence off as a 'conflict of interest.'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nothing about us with us.

:hotpickle:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

apparently they were told to leave and asked to sign their absence off as a 'conflict of interest.'

For clarification, that's a Lib Dem council with a Labour opposition. Two disabled councillors were asked to leave - one from each party. The Lib Dems actually threw one of their own disabled councillors under the bus for this.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What kind of hosed up logic is that. Policies in general will affect everyone.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

feedmegin posted:

During the war? If the US had done that they'd both have just stuck two fingers up at the US and kept going til the war was won or lost, what's the US going to do, come over and repo poo poo? Sovereign nation states with their own currencies have options not open to us private citizens.

The UK (and France) were buying *enormous* quantities of war materiel from the USA during the war, refusal to pay US creditors would have caused immense practical problems for the Allied war effort if that pipeline were to dry up. Not to mention that by 1916 the number 1 foreign policy agenda for the Allies was to get the US involved in the war directly, something the US was very unlikely to do if the UK openly refused to pay owed money. As it was the re-election of Wilson in 1916 was thought to be a disaster for the Allied war effort since as I mentioned he was steadfast in his refusal to have the US enter the war - in the end the Germans made an enormous strategic blunder and forced his hand. It's possible the financial threat of the Allies losing might have forced his hand anyway, but that's gay black Hitler territory.

It is true that the Allies used the amount of money they owed as a bargaining chip, essentially daring the American government not to back them due to the fact that American capital was neck deep in the war effort. The diplomatic situation was very fraught though and I don't think open Allied reneging on debts would have gone down well at all.

In the end the debts got reneged on anyway, since after the war Congress demanded payment in full on all war debts despite the fact Germany couldn't keep up with reparations which in turn meant the Allies servicing their debt to America was very difficult. This is why the UK had to go through the rigmarole of Lend/Lease at the start of WWII - they were officially defaulted debtors to the US government and so could not legally be lent money directly.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

ONE WEIRD TRICK to get around primogeniture! Heraldists HATE it!

Seriously though, didn’t this get dealt with once the rules for the royals succession got changed?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Flayer posted:

What kind of hosed up logic is that. Policies in general will affect everyone.
They were given dispensation to vote in this case but not in the future? Do they not think a similar shitstorm will erupt the next time they try to exclude disabled councilors? Absolute madness.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

feedmegin posted:

The US simply wasnt a unipolar hegemonic power in the Cold War.

I think you're reading positions in my words that aren't in my words.

I never argued this. I said the US had a position of pre eminence. That's not unilateral dominance, but to say that the balance of power lied in their favour. I never argued that the US could wipe out Russia on its own or "effortlessly" overpower anyone. The US had its friends by the balls, though, and that gave them the balance of power. Turn it on its head: if America was so weak, why would anyone in Realpolitik ridden Europe give a flying gently caress about joining a League of Nations, NATO or the UN? The answer is that America had the west's manufacturing, their debt, and ultimately their rear end. Sure, the US's own forces were a third of that of Britain immediately after the first world war and poorly equipped. That was still enough, it seems, to get everyone reading from Wilson's insane hymn sheet instead of something along Churchill's lines.

What I am not arguing is some common misconceptions like "the US won the second world war on its own" the contribution of the USSR was crucial, and superior to the US contribution. I feel I have to say that because I wonder what you're thinking that I'm thinking. I'm thinking the US had the closest thing to a deciding position on the west's alliance and that the aggregate was capable of defeating the USSR. Ergo the US had effective pre eminence.

feedmegin posted:

I literally do not understand where you're getting 'putting all of its eggs in the nuke basket' from

Kruschev's plans. If his ground war was so great why did he put all his military resources in the nuke basket? You could spin that as a response to NATO's scorched earth planning, but in that scenario the argument maybe becomes "the USSR's ground forces are irrelevant, then, if the US has the world's share of deliverable doomsday devices." That argument is then in favor of US military pre eminence during Kruschev's era.

feedmegin posted:

If anything, the USSR always had a massive army.

As for constant expansionist wars...um...where, post WW2?

The USSR had a massive army, for the same reason as the empire (and other constitutions, albeit shortlived) it succeeded: its conquered peoples were unhappy bedfellows. Ukraine, the Baltics, Georgia, Azerbaijan; they all tried to get their hands on their own governments at some point. That's what I mean when I say that, while it's impressive numerically, the USSR army has the disadvantage of not being an army you can entirely or even majority mobilise: the USSR needed garrisons against its internal as well as external enemies. The US had fewer troops, but they could put them where they wanted them without thinking "oh but is Texas going to riot tomorrow?"

feedmegin posted:

You don't get a Cuban Missile Crisis in situations where the US can just effortlessly overpower anyone else.

You get the Cuban missile crisis in situations where the new president Kennedy struggles to get a grip on Laos, Berlin, and the bay of pigs through his own handwringing and botching, while Kruschev plays big dick chicken and bluffs his way to seeming in charge. Again "effortlessly overpower anyone" is not what I mean by "military pre eminence" you're putting words in my mouth and I'm struggling to understand what you think that I think. I do think, however, that Kennedy's restraint was more of a personal ideology than a reflection of the geopolitical state, and the fact that he had to wrestle his approach to war out of his own advisors is evidence of that. It's not a popular argument, given that modern commentators will look at Kennedy as not particularly restrained because "he did bay of pigs and vietnam" but those arguments neglect that the people around him at the time were saying Laos before Vietnam and were saying put US troops in the Bay of Pigs invasion, not just Cuban exiles in outdated US planes. Kennedy was no pacifist, but he was more timid than his country could well have been at the time. Kennedy's timidity is no reflection on the balance of power at that time. Nor is Kruschev looking at Kennedy's weak rear end diplomacy as an opportunity to make a big dick move.

NB: Kennedy's timidity and ability to completely ignore his own war council was ultimately a good thing in the way it resolved the missile crisis: by removing nukes from Turkey as well as Cuba.

So to boil down my questions

What are you thinking that I am thinking?

Do you think the Entente was in a position to handle the Kaiser on its own?
Do you think Europe was able to act freely and with power in situations without US military help, like say when France had a go at Vietnam or when the UK and France had a go at Suez?

I'm not denying the US was just as much trying to make its own dominoes fall, what with Korea and the way they handled Egypt and Israel. The difference between the US and Russia, however, is that the United States wasn't largely or even slightly comprised of places it had to garrison for fear of dissent. Russia in its various forms, though mainly an empire and a soviet union, had much more watching its own back to do.

Also, even if you're right and pre eminence begins in 91, China's activities still represent a fundamental change to that balance of power.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 24, 2021

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

that's a lot of words to say Strong Britain: Great Nation

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Britain was never strong or great. Our dogged Libertarianism caused us to cheap out on the military every time, reducing it to a colonial police force whenever we weren't having to recruit for world wars. If Russia was bluffing, at least it had some cards in its hand. Britain, pretending to be at the table and have cards, somehow convinced the US that it could single handedly police allied treaties. Of course, Czechoslovakia got to see just how weak Britain always was.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1418932718847541248?s=21

This is your brain on Rand.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

As we learn to live with, rather than cower from, brainworms.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My theory is that everyone in government who has 'recovered' from covid has been given the good steroids and feel amazing, and are refusing to come off them when it's time. Meaning they're going to have an incredible 5 years and then their hearts will explode.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Was this posted? If it was, it probably deserves to be posted again.

https://twitter.com/sbattrawden/status/1418984363304394762

I'm lost for words....

Bobby Deluxe posted:

....Meaning they're going to have an incredible 5 years and then their hearts will explode.

We're going to have to wait that long? Awww..... :(

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My theory is that everyone in government who has 'recovered' from covid has been given the good steroids and feel amazing, and are refusing to come off them when it's time. Meaning they're going to have an incredible 5 years and then their hearts will explode.
Why do we have to wait five years for one good thing to come from this lovely government?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Anyone know what the deal is with the Olympics supposedly killing a load of Japanese people? Other than just the mass gatherings causing more covid? Is it just that?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Mebh posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with the Olympics supposedly killing a load of Japanese people? Other than just the mass gatherings causing more covid? Is it just that?
Mass public executions to appease the Olympic committee.

What the gently caress do you think it is?!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Well when the Olympics came to Britain they mounted anti-aircraft guns on apartment buildings and rounded up the local cyclists before the opening ceremony, so nothing seems too outlandish for the IOC.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Pistol_Pete posted:

Dude, chill out.

Not a dude, and gently caress you

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Brand enforcement.
If you have anything not on the official list of brand sponsors within 10 miles of any of the grounds, instantdeath and shame on your family for 5 generations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

josh04 posted:

Well when the Olympics came to Britain they mounted anti-aircraft guns on apartment buildings and rounded up the local cyclists before the opening ceremony, so nothing seems too outlandish for the IOC.

Did they put the cyclists in front of the AA guns and let rip?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm sitting at 10 to midnight in a still warm living room with a fan a foot away from my face listening to the constant cries of drunk idiots outside my window i can't help but wish for another lockdown because I was generally at my happiest when saturday nights were peaceful

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

fuctifino posted:

Was this posted? If it was, it probably deserves to be posted again.

https://twitter.com/sbattrawden/status/1418984363304394762

I'm lost for words....

loving hell, i don't even know what's worse: the speaker being a shameless grifter, or the speaker truly believing in what they're spouting

this poo poo is damaging too, like, life-altering - both for the people in the crowd and whoever they will come in contact with all this horrific bullshit. i've already had to deal with a few of these idiots in my line of work (NHS, admin stuff, sometimes people-facing), and the amount of poo poo they stir and the amount of harm can cause to themselves, their loved ones and the medical personnel involved is kind of scary to see, to be honest (only emotional harm thus far in my experience, thank gently caress, but who knows what the grifters can stir up next)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Remember that spitting image exists?
https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1418937324256247820
:stare:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm sitting at 10 to midnight in a still warm living room with a fan a foot away from my face listening to the constant cries of drunk idiots outside my window i can't help but wish for another lockdown because I was generally at my happiest when saturday nights were peaceful

We are brothers!
The drunk gently caress across the street is out on his doorstep going 'AHOO!' to any other drunk gently caress that walks past.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

I'm lost for words....
Doctors, nurses, and the RNLI are the new figures of hate for normal island.