Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

Monopoly: Mars Edition

"I bet this horse poo poo exists"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Mojo Jojo posted:

All the Mars games just merge into one clump in my head. I'm not even sure which I played

Me too. You hear about a game but later you're not sure if it was On Mars, First Martians or Martians. Or Viticulture, Vinhos or La Granja. Colony or The Colonists. Then you end up buying the wrong one.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

"I bet this horse poo poo exists"

Ah, but that's not even close to the worst Monopoly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Frosthaven just posted an update as they've received their whitebox sample

All of Gloomhaven vs Frosthaven

Box weighs 4.5kg
:popeye:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
No map book small box, no buy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

This was Bob Marley's first draft of the song, but it was a little too obscure, so he changed to a more relatable tune addressed to a woman.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

The box is now 5% larger.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

disgusting.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
I'll play when the box is non-existent and instead lives in my steam library

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I appreciate the reference bananas

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've played the poo poo out of Gloomhaven, and enjoyed it!

But I'll be honest; just looking at Frosthaven exhausts me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

luckily you can rest for a few years before it shows up

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Trip report: I play Galaxy Trucker most every week with our roommate and his two kids. Usually its pretty great at hitting the sweet spot between everyone's tastes.

Tonight I decided to bust out the Latest Models C ships. These are experienced players. The kids have been playing with both expansions and intruders for a month now, so they're pretty savvy.

1C and 2C were fine, and added the right amount of noise to both building and flying to feel like a nice wrench.

Then we played 3C The Death Star (or Torus Ship if you're a well-actually killjoy). Building it was fine once everyone got their head around the wraparound board layout. It felt like a nice challenge and wasn't too hard to get a grip on.

But then we tried to fly the things, and oh my god it was loving dogshit. Resolving a single meteor card in flight 3C took ten goddamn minutes with four people. We hit three meteors and a Pirate in a row. It was torture.

The 3C ship has no edges, so the meteors or cannons can hit anywhere along a coordinate system. But their directionality still matters for things like "can they be shielded/shot." In practice, this was like pulling teeth. It got so fiddly and hard to internalize that we had to roll each meteor, then walk each player thru it one at a time. I snapped and called it halfway thru the flight deck because gently caress this stupid flight.

Maybe it would have been tolerable in a two-person game, i dunno. If the iPhone app ever implements it and can automate the flight for you, it might even be fun. But with four I'd rather eat the 3C ships than play them again.

tl:dr Galaxy Trucker 3C ships are too loving fiddly for a loving Mage Knight stan to put up with.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

The Eyes Have It posted:

That was my takeaway on Gloomhaven. Had a great time, thought the game was good and interesting, liked the evolution of things. But it was just too much game. I'd be playing it for the next year or two and there were other games I wanted to play. So I set it aside about half to a third of the way through the campaign.

Finally played Faiyum and I'm a bit on the fence. I get it and it's clever but it didn't feel like something I'll keep returning to. I had the same reaction to Fast Sloths and wondering if it would improve over time. It didn't.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gutter Owl posted:

Trip report: I play Galaxy Trucker most every week with our roommate and his two kids. Usually its pretty great at hitting the sweet spot between everyone's tastes.

Tonight I decided to bust out the Latest Models C ships. These are experienced players. The kids have been playing with both expansions and intruders for a month now, so they're pretty savvy.

1C and 2C were fine, and added the right amount of noise to both building and flying to feel like a nice wrench.

Then we played 3C The Death Star (or Torus Ship if you're a well-actually killjoy). Building it was fine once everyone got their head around the wraparound board layout. It felt like a nice challenge and wasn't too hard to get a grip on.

But then we tried to fly the things, and oh my god it was loving dogshit. Resolving a single meteor card in flight 3C took ten goddamn minutes with four people. We hit three meteors and a Pirate in a row. It was torture.

The 3C ship has no edges, so the meteors or cannons can hit anywhere along a coordinate system. But their directionality still matters for things like "can they be shielded/shot." In practice, this was like pulling teeth. It got so fiddly and hard to internalize that we had to roll each meteor, then walk each player thru it one at a time. I snapped and called it halfway thru the flight deck because gently caress this stupid flight.

Maybe it would have been tolerable in a two-person game, i dunno. If the iPhone app ever implements it and can automate the flight for you, it might even be fun. But with four I'd rather eat the 3C ships than play them again.

tl:dr Galaxy Trucker 3C ships are too loving fiddly for a loving Mage Knight stan to put up with.

Yeah honestly I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone use the drat things. Ridiculously hard to enjoy using.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

homullus posted:

This was Bob Marley's first draft of the song, but it was a little too obscure, so he changed to a more relatable tune addressed to a woman.

This was a stretch but I enjoyed it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm gonna hopefully get to play this later today :D

The idea of a simple short-ish adventure game that is a co-op CYOA sounded like fun. Not a fan of the name though, "Adventure Games: The Dungeon" is such a bland and generic name, almost makes it sound like something you'd see in a tv show if they needed to come up with their own original game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fellis posted:

This was a stretch but I enjoyed it

the first draft was just "Bob Marley's first draft of the song was clearly worse" and I should have left it, but thanks

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm gonna hopefully get to play this later today :D

The idea of a simple short-ish adventure game that is a co-op CYOA sounded like fun. Not a fan of the name though, "Adventure Games: The Dungeon" is such a bland and generic name, almost makes it sound like something you'd see in a tv show if they needed to come up with their own original game.

I've played one of these, though not this one. It was mostly pretty good except for one total BS moment (but one that could've been in any 90s point and click).

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

gschmidl posted:

I've played one of these, though not this one. It was mostly pretty good except for one total BS moment (but one that could've been in any 90s point and click).

Assuming it was the corporate heist one - was it the chair? Because that’s what made my partner call bullshit.

I’ve played this and the corporate heist one, and can’t say I much cared for them. It does a pretty decent job of emulating point and click, but doesn’t really add anything that makes use of the medium. At least they’re non-destructive, so you can always pass them on to someone else or sell it when you’re done.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mighty Eris posted:

Assuming it was the corporate heist one - was it the chair? Because that’s what made my partner call bullshit.

Yup!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I picked up the corporate adventure and the dungeon adventure to play when my nephew (11 y/o) comes to visit next month because he really enjoys board/card games and these looked like fun little experiences . If he had his way he'd sit and play on my PS5 all week but my brother (who is the total opposite of me: not a nerd, and isn't really into board and card games at all) likes encouraging him to do more social, non-screen-based activities. He absolutely loves Catan, Braggart and One Night Ultimate Werewolf but I'm looking at more co-op stuff (he enjoyed Descent 2e and a short one-shot pen and paper RPG last time he visited) so the Adventure Game things seemed like quick, cheap experiences.

Might bust out Imperial Assault this visit, since he loves Star Wars. Maybe Mansions of Madness 2e, depending on if my brother thinks it's suitable for his age. Any other ideas for co-op games suitable for an 11 y/o would be great :)

Probably also going to play Talisman because he's seen that it is goddamn massive and wants to try it out. I have a pool table and the game + expansions + decks + 4 players takes up the entire thing. I love Talisman. It's my ultimate "I don't want to think much tonight but still want to play a boardgame while drinking with friends" game.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Has anyone here played The Cost? It's a game that looks really up my alley, both the mechanics, but also how it uses the game play to reinforce it's message. That said I'm not seeing a lot of copies around and it seems like it'll be tough to track down a copy. If it's the game I think it is I'll be happy to do it, but curious if anyone here has experience with it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SUSD did a podcast on it this week and weren’t hot on it. I think it’s actually lazy with the theme for a variety of reasons, most easily traced back to the fact that the designer is one of the admins of The Boardgame Group on FB and is pretty chuddy.

Here’s a bit I quoted on discord about his lazy handling of it

quote:

A thing I notice when introducing the game to new players is that when it comes time to choose whether or not to pay for safety the first time operating a mine, the players initially seem very indecisive about the decision. They tend to seem like they are looking for something in the game itself to help them to decide which path they should go down. Players often start off with the intention of keeping their workforce safe but quickly realize one of two things. Sometimes the player hires worker meeples up to the maximum capacity of their mine and figures out that they planned poorly and can now not afford the safety of all of their meeples. Usually though, in about the second or third round the player realizes that there is no direct punishment from the game for having a meeple die. Now safety has a cost and ignoring that cost is “free” so they then proceed to gleefully pack all of their worksites with as many meeples as possible ignoring anything having to do with keeping a safe work environment for them in the name of more money via cutting costs.

It is wrong to think that there are no repercussions at all for having fatalities. I like to think of it in terms of short term gains versus long term gains with sustainability being a big part of it as well. The game presents you with two options and details the repercussions of those choices. There are no bonuses or punishments to be had directly to the player for either choice. Pay some money (points) to keep your workers safe or do not. Either way, the resource being mined up will be the same regardless of which choice you make here.

He also said this on BGG defending a white guy criticizing Kendrick Lamar for using the N word

quote:

I don’t believe there was a “rant” on the n-word. I simply heard one person’s willingness, or rather unwillingness, to engage with an art that may make liberal use of it. One’s taste in art is utterly subjective. Depending upon the basis of the view one has of an art, it can be argued that the view may belie some form of bigotry or bias, but I see none of that here. In fact I see quite the opposite. If we continually see the world through the lenses of the things that keep us apart, how are we to come together and celebrate simply our common humanity? I applaud Jim for having the bravery (risking his platform) to speak out about his perspective and address this question during this age of pixel warriors and cyber inquisitions.

So gently caress him and his lovely game

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 25, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sounds like he had a few of his friends' posts "deleted by a moderator".

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Played Sheriff of Nottingham for the first time last night, and I say it was an okay game.

An aquantaince had an older version because, he says, the newer vserion is utter poo poo.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

He also said this on BGG defending a white guy criticizing Kendrick Lamar for using the N word

So gently caress him and his lovely game

Link that poo poo so I can pixel warrior plz

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Idk if you can call it an age of pixel warriors, was pixel tactics that huge of a success?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played Arkham horror third edition. I prefer the card game by a large margin, there’s just so randomness. The mythos phase can be fine or dump a ton of damage on you, with very little middle ground. You can get all the clues super fast or just not draw from the deck to get them. And we killed the boss by putting all the allies on one person and having him do a massive massive attack, so it’s just like the other Cthulhu games in that sense.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Golden Bee posted:

Played Arkham horror third edition. I prefer the card game by a large margin, there’s just so randomness. The mythos phase can be fine or dump a ton of damage on you, with very little middle ground. You can get all the clues super fast or just not draw from the deck to get them. And we killed the boss by putting all the allies on one person and having him do a massive massive attack, so it’s just like the other Cthulhu games in that sense.

See it's not bad game design it's just faithfully representing the vicissitudes of an uncaring and cruel universe! Very thematic :v:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Armauk posted:

Played Sheriff of Nottingham for the first time last night, and I say it was an okay game.

An aquantaince had an older version because, he says, the newer vserion is utter poo poo.

Your friend is correct. It is unbelievable how much uglier the second edition is. I swear I talked about it before, but I can't find that post, so here is a quick comparison:

First Edition Royal Goods
Second Edition Royal Goods

Copy-pasted images of the food, floating around like it's the white zone for loading or unloading in The Matrix. Two banner images across the top to indicate what a single number next to it means, taking up valuable resources. The only advantage is that it's language independent, but there must have been a better way to accomplish that.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
My tabletop group just completed our second game of Oath, and I just needed to quickly say we're completely enamored by it. I know it's not for everyone, but aside from two test/tutorial games before playing "for keeps", the two actual playthroughs we've done have been amazing. Very excited to keep playing more and to see how the subtle changes to the world will alter the attitudes around the table.

Edit: Would anyone on here be interested in getting together on Tabletop Simulator to play a game of Oath some time?

Jcam fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 26, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

3 real games in myself and I think the biggest issue is downtime. It gets way better when people take their turns quickly and really drags when they take 10 minutes. Root had the same downtime issue but Oath is definitely worse in that regard.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Bottom Liner posted:

3 real games in myself and I think the biggest issue is downtime. It gets way better when people take their turns quickly and really drags when they take 10 minutes. Root had the same downtime issue but Oath is definitely worse in that regard.

We really noticed that today with six players. First game was with four, which is probably the sweet spot really. Still really enjoyable at six assuming the table-talk is staying on topic and engaged, and teaching new more players certainly didn’t help either.

We’re lucky in that we’re constantly plotting and having sidebars with each other when it’s not our turn, but that only lasts for so long if someone takes 10 minutes to do their turn because of AP.

I’m just constantly taken aback, coming as a somewhat new board-gamer and having played RPG’s for almost 25 years, by the narrative that we’re spinning that seems to very naturally just jump off the board because of the art and mechanics. I know that has been said by every reviewer and my eyes kept rolling when I’d read it but I really see it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just played spirit island and I think that's my first game of 2021 with any of my usual group.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Golden Bee posted:

Yep. Defintely. We had a game where we needed I think 6 clues on the old one, and 13 doom would kill us. We had 5 clues and 1 doom on one turn, then the mythos phase hit us for 7 doom, and it was just like, oh, ok, if that happens again we just lose? And then we had a great round where we all did awesome stuff, but it came to the mythos round and it put us to 12 doom, and then gave a dude two clues, but he had a thing that said 'if that happens take a doom'.

So we essentially played 'perfectly' for however many turns straight, but on the last two, the game just told us to get hosed.

I FULLY appreciate Arkham games being horrid and hard, and that's cool, but when you're actually doing well, and have collaborated well, and been rewarded, and then just randomly lose on a dice roll anyway, it feels super poo poo. Like, you 'almost' want to go, "Well lets just not do that because it's too harsh" but then, you have to, because, that IS the game, and if you strip that aspect out, then... you can't lose? Feels bad.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Armauk posted:

What changed between editions? My impression of 1st was that it was an okay game that felt like it should have been better.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

nonathlon posted:

What changed between editions? My impression of 1st was that it was an okay game that felt like it should have been better.
Rules-wise: Very little. The face-up draw/discard piles have been removed, so now all draws are blind, secret draws from the face-down deck. Discarded goods and confiscated contraband, rather than being added to the top of the face-up piles (from which they could have been retrieved by later players), are now just thrown out.

I think that’s it!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Some Strange Flea posted:

Rules-wise: Very little. The face-up draw/discard piles have been removed, so now all draws are blind, secret draws from the face-down deck. Discarded goods and confiscated contraband, rather than being added to the top of the face-up piles (from which they could have been retrieved by later players), are now just thrown out.

I think that’s it!

I think that change was originally included with Merry Men when playing with Sheriffs Deputies for whatever reason. Honestly, it's fine to do without. It was not a very necessary rule, since you could almost always bury legal goods under 3 or 4 contraband, and any card more than 5 cards down might as well be back in the box.

The second edition also include the 6th player color (black), Sheriff's Deputies, and the Black Market. AKA, the good parts of Merry Men. The laws are dumb and bad because one of the great things about the game is the fairness of opportunity (outside of your draws), Special orders are fine but not as fun as the Black Market, and the actual Merry Men is not something I've bothered to try since it seems to complicate what should remain a very simple game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Infinitum posted:

Frosthaven just posted an update as they've received their whitebox sample

All of Gloomhaven vs Frosthaven

Box weighs 4.5kg
:popeye:

Man, my group didn't even do every mission in Gloomhaven or Jaws of the Lion. What are the major differences between Gloomhaven and Frosthaven, anyway?