Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Jimbot posted:

I forgot one thing about Morrowind is that NPCs sure love to stand in the middle of the hallway or doorway and you go Eric Andre trying to get past them to get to where you're going. It's an epic trying to get past the Balmora guild guide or the two NPCs in the Vivec branch that like to hang around the foyer to the main entrance.

Type RA into the console to reset actors. It puts them back to their original position

There's also a ring of console mod for the n'wah that can't access the console on their keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The worst for this is by far the corridor at the top of Neloth's tower in Sadrith Mora. Can't even jump over them.
Everyone loves the Telvanni, but I find those mushroom towers obnoxious to get around in.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Certainly see why people call them libertarians, no respect for OSHA. Just have completely unmarked several storey drops in the middle of walkways, no guard rails in sight.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 19, 2021

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

kazr posted:

There's also a ring of console mod for the n'wah that can't access the console on their keyboard
I'm a real s'wit now, aren't I? :buddy:

Truthfully, not having access to the console might be a blessing in disguise! I've been having a more engaging time than my last playthrough. I'm approaching random caves much more cautiously, and I'm enjoying hearth heal and shield spells way more.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh man, seeing the blue and red candles took me back to when a friend and I would scour the game looking for those kinds of candles to put in our strongholds.

Edit: I fail at searching, are there any keyring mods? I could have sworn there was one and I used it back in the day because the key situation is getting out of hand. Also, is there a way to reset level progress? Not sure when it happened but I'm at 52/10 for some reason despite just leveling up last night.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 19, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a mod that makes this real?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c598kuusepk

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I don't know why but my youtube recommended videos have been inundated with Morrowind meme videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILAzFQODFBo

and it has compelled me to reinstall. I played this game for dozens of hours at release but I never actually did the main quest past gaining the great houses favor or whatever. Now I realize that I need to meet Dagoth Ur to have a fulfilling life. I'm gonna go full mage so I can abuse all of the spellmaking stuff and lean into the becoming a god aspect.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Ror posted:

I don't know why but my youtube recommended videos have been inundated with Morrowind meme videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILAzFQODFBo

and it has compelled me to reinstall. I played this game for dozens of hours at release but I never actually did the main quest past gaining the great houses favor or whatever. Now I realize that I need to meet Dagoth Ur to have a fulfilling life. I'm gonna go full mage so I can abuse all of the spellmaking stuff and lean into the becoming a god aspect.

This was a bad idea to watch with headsets on in a TINY apartment. Had to check thrice if somebody actually was outside knoking.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ror posted:

Now I realize that I need to meet Dagoth Ur to have a fulfilling life.

I see you've heard the good news.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've really been wanting to try out the persistent Morrowind server but every time I fire it up I get the distinct feeling that I wish I was playing this with another person, seems a bit silly to play it solo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Too crazy, if it's not a grueling hell slog to overcome a mudcrab then I don't even know

I've decided to scrap my mod and rewrite it from scratch. I think I'm going insane and see lua in my sleep.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The next Elder Scrolls needs to have colored lighting. All the red and blue candles in Morrowind are fantastic. Wish I could find some lootable red candles for my stronghold. I forgot how creepy Sixth House strongholds were. On top of the lighting they had those creepy ambience sounds too.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah gently caress that noise. I remember finding ash statues near a skeletal smuggler in some wrecked ship and then bam you get to the places where it's full dargoth and get your rear end kicked.

When i first got serious about the main quest i decided to walk to the corprusarium and wandered into the wrong cave. Yeesh.

anyway, there's 10 red [url="https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Lights"]lights[/url] in vanilla and they're all super rare so just console them in. Hell, console out the gold value if you feel like it.

there's bamboo candlesticks but never bamboo plants. Guess they're all somewhere on the mainland like bloatspore shrooms.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

there's bamboo candlesticks but never bamboo plants. Guess they're all somewhere on the mainland like bloatspore shrooms.
They're all Akaviri antiques.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Almost two decades ago during one of my first playthroughs I did a Hlaalu/Morag Tong/Thieves Guild character and for some reason I decided he was a skooma addict so when I got my little Hlaalu stronghold I decorated it with red lanterns, pillows, and skooma pipes. The pillows were usually placed in pairs with a pipe between them. Usually accompanied by a bowl of moon sugar.

Spent ages traveling around buying and/or stealing one of those three items to make sure my skooma den was just the right levels of decadent and seedy.

The Redoran stronghold quest bugged out on my first and main character so he lived in a barrow tomb in Solstheim with all the little ledges used as shelves for Daedric items and other artifacts.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone have some fun enchantment recommendations to put on weapons? Nothing that uses the ebony staff, though. Mainly because the ones in my game only have 9 enchant points and even if had the original's 90, that'd make something far too broken.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 22, 2021

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Chameleon on self on hit can break the enemy AI and confuse them to hell if you want to get nasty

Sanctuary for 1 second to as high as you can go on self on hit means so long as you're hitting them you can't be hit back

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Calm or command.
Fear or turn undead.
Damage armor.
Absorb agility 2-3 seconds, as long as it takes to hit again.
Burden (altho maybe damage strength would be better).
Absorb or damage fatigue or endurance.
Levitate 1 point.

Almsivi intervention.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Levitate 1 point.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yeah I was gonna say. Levitate 1 pt rules.

Think I've taken my Crusader playthrough as far as I care to. It was pretty fun but ready for something new. Think I'm gonna tool around on an Argonian Nightblade for a while and do Morag Tong/Telvanni/Thieves.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Slow Fall 1 point constant effect on the ol' belt. I think 0 points has the same effect of not taking fall damage but I can't remember

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

kazr posted:

Slow Fall 1 point constant effect on the ol' belt. I think 0 points has the same effect of not taking fall damage but I can't remember
Morrowind Code Patch changes this, just in case they're using it.

I like 2-point custom Jump enchantments. Put like five of those on and then stick a 10-point Jump on-use item on, and you can get across huge stretches of land fast.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are the Redoran or Telvanni strongholds fun? The giant mushrooms are neat (albeit a pain to get around in) but I almost always go Hlaalu because despite being just standard buildings, they always had room to do fun things with. Plus the location was solid. But I figure I might try something else for a change in this playthrough but only if I can have some fun decorating the rooms with all the lights and daedric weapons that I currently have.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Are the Redoran or Telvanni strongholds fun? The giant mushrooms are neat (albeit a pain to get around in) but I almost always go Hlaalu because despite being just standard buildings, they always had room to do fun things with. Plus the location was solid. But I figure I might try something else for a change in this playthrough but only if I can have some fun decorating the rooms with all the lights and daedric weapons that I currently have.

Get Uvirith's Legacy and Building up Uvirith's Legacy and the Telvanni stronghold turns into an entire questline that's longer and more fun than the entire House Telvanni questline.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Redoran is alright. It's north of Ald Ruhn so not in the most ideal spot but it's not as out of the way as the Telvanni Stronghold at least which is in the middle of nowhere. But if you're a Telvanni character you probably have lots of magic and can just mark/recall to your stronghold anyways. Telvanni rules as a quest line. Tons of rewards, fun characters.

I like Redoran a lot too, although you won't get poo poo for rewards for most of that. Your reward is a pat on the back for doing your duty.

I was thinking of doing an Argonian Nightblade but I've changed my mind and I'm going to use random.org to pick my race and class for my next playthrough. I'll pick factions accordingly. My Crusader was a lotta fun. I didn't finish the main quest but did most of Temple/Fighters/Redoran. I'm looking forward to seeing what goofy race/class combo I get using random. I'm also going to try and finish the main quest on this one. It's been a while since I've done that.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I have shoes that give me a permanent bound axe.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Morrowind Code Patch changes this, just in case they're using it.

It's a toggable option when running the patch

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I have shoes that give me a permanent bound axe.

gives a new meaning to "axe kick"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
When talking about the structures themselves the Telvanni stronghold blows the others out of the water. It’s got so much more space and utilities. You get your own little mini-town with high end services and a gargantuan amount of display space. Even has a perma-corpse for infinite storage. It’s only real downside is location. Unless you use a mod you’re practically required to go through the Berne Vampire clan quest line if you ever want to use your mark&recall for anything else ever again. The Hlallu Stronghold is teeny and has no useful services except Vvardenfells only NPC follower (who is kinda meh) but it’s literally part of Hla Oad and right next to Balmora. So you’re always connected to civilization and fast travel. The Redoran stronghold is in the middle. Both in size and distance from civilization. It’s got some good services and better merchants than Hlallu.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

The appeal of the Balmora stronghold is location. And there are mods that make it nicer if you like.

If you command the Hla Oad shipmaster and Balmora mages's guild teleport guide, and the silt strider caravaner to your home, its the most useful Mark location in the game. Drop all your stuff at home then take instant access to all fast travel networks (including the old Dunmer strongholds through transport to Caldera mage's guild with the propylon index). Almsivi intervention brings you right into Balmora, and you can drop excess weight items at then permanent corpse at Nerano manor.

Of course, Telvanni stronghold wins on style and self-sufficiency.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Broken Box posted:

If you command the Hla Oad shipmaster and Balmora mages's guild teleport guide, and the silt strider caravaner to your home

Holy poo poo why have I never thought of this

E: Wait I already remarked on this strategy. Its a technique so nice it surprised me twice

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 24, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Real Morrowind Pro’s command the talking mudcrab merchant to their home of choice. I once got him all the way to Rethan Manor with copious fortify on target spells.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think I'll give the Telvanni a shot then. One thing I like about Morrowind is that all the great houses suck. Time to throw my lot in with the wizard libertarians so I can get my own giant hollowed-out mushroom palace!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

galagazombie posted:

Even has a perma-corpse for infinite storage.

Broken Box posted:

Nerano manor.

soon these antique concepts will be a relic of the past

in order to finish off my mod i need to
- have vendors look inside containers you're trying to sell, so you can't sell contraband or stolen items. prevent vendors from buying locked containers.
- let you peer inside containers that are already inside your inventory. There's some major problems with the interface and if it was possible to deregister ui components it'd be easier.
- let you rename containers, i have this mostly done but it's not exactly how I want it.
- add empty containers to vendors so they can sell them, and add the new containers that were introduced in MWSE containers
- figure out a better way to deal with the inventory icons. i have a weird feeling there's some way to create good icons based off of a static's mesh but only a really big brain guru could pull it off.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how the guar container ui works in Guar Whisperer, and came up empty handed. However it's done seems to either be really outta my league cerebral or somehow inside the .esp which i have not cracked any of those open yet. I have to figure that out to get the mwse containers into this anyway, so I might as well start poking around in both.

A lot of it is two steps forward one step back kind of poo poo. I think a lot of my issues is that i'm new to both lua and modding so i'm kinda bullshitting my way through this. I really don't want to have to reimplement the vanilla ContentsMenu from scratch. I've also accidentally hosed up progress by deleting poo poo or realizing i've written it rear end backwards and it needs reimplemented.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Off to a decent start with my first playthrough and ages and first pure mage playthrough ever

Future plans:
-Join the Telvanni and live in a mushroom
-Ascend to godhood
-Get at least slightly better at running because I'm currently slower than a one legged cow trapped in a swamp

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

-Get at least slightly better at running because I'm currently slower than a one legged cow trapped in a swamp

My favorite part of the multitude of Morrowind meme videos on youtube is people making comments about how the character must have 100 athletics to move that fast. Especially when the character is moving really slow.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Every step you take makes you worse at everything else you do.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I spun the wheel and ended up with High Elf Witchhunter with Atronach sign which is both surprisingly synergistic/lucky for a full randomly chosen character and also exactly what I had a brief but abandoned playthrough of a month or so ago. I guess it's a sign that I need to actually stick with this class combo and finish things out this time. Restaritis is a bit of a curse for me with Morrowind but I made myself a pact to actually finish the main quest this time so I'm gonna not get distracted and actually do it this time :v:.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm also playing an Altmer without athletics and am slow as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I also picked Atronach.

At first I thought "That's going to be a ton of extra work and I barely know how to play a magic focused character without that complication." then I thought "In for a penny in for a pound." and went with it anyway. So far it's less trouble than I expected.