Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

thanks! ive been basing with mr finishing surfacer 1500 black and then just using white vallejo air color to zenithal. the surfacer gunks up my brush so bad though

Badger Stynlrez black acrylic primer is godlike, super forgiving and covers beautifully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

vallejo mecha primer is great too

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

thanks! ive been basing with mr finishing surfacer 1500 black and then just using white vallejo air color to zenithal. the surfacer gunks up my brush so bad though

if you aren't already I find thinning Mr Surfacer 1500 about 50:50 with levelling thinner to be close to the perfect primer but I reserve that more for scale models and rely on molotow black or stynylrez for minis.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Badger is having a Non-convention sale for anyone that's looking for a discount on an airbrush.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Special_Offers.asp

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Painted up a dwarf Artificer lady

I feel like those are the best eyes, I've EVER made.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

So, this is a bit embarassing but here goes:

I have been painting miniatures for over a decade now, and I like to think I'm pretty good at it, and in that time I've never had to paint a space marine. That changed last week and ... I'm really bad at it. They look awful, and nothing I do seems to change that. Their armor is just a whole lot of big flat open real-estate. They don't seem to respond well to washes (it doesn't make them more detailed, it just seems to make them look dirtier), but standard highlighting makes them look really cartoony.

And I know it's not the minis, I see nice-looking marines all the time, but all my usual techniques are just hitting a wall. How the gently caress do I make marines look good?
I went through the same problem when I started painting Stormcast. Either do pinwashes, highlight them again after you drown them in wash, or use an oil wash so you can remove wash you don't want.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

people just using liquitex white acrylic ink?

yeah but also shout out to schmincke transparent white ink because it's zinc based instead of titanium based so it's easier to mix and use for highlighting instead of just shooting pure white

Long story short for people who don't know, titanium is very opaque and tinting which is why white paint and ink on top of a colour will just blow out all the saturation. Zinc is the opposite so it's awful as a pure white but it layers/mixes very well.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'm thinking about doing an army on Necromunda bases, does anyone have any resources for facsimiles of that style for bike bases and larger circles?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Primer conversation: still in a situation that precludes spray priming of any sort (including airbrush). What's the gold standard for brush primer nowadays? Still something from Vallejo? I used to use gesso (on metal miniatures, of all things) to good effect, but I have my doubts about how it'll do on the larger, flatter surfaces of Warhammer stuff, so keeping my options open. Plus I'll have to figure out something better than gesso if I ever do vehicles.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Do Badger airbrushes have their own valve for connecting to hoses? I bought a Patriot 105 (two days ago of course) and it occurs to me that the hose I have from my rechargeable compressor might not actually fit it without some sort of convertor. I haven't been able to get a clear answer from the Google on this.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

I entered my local GW's diorama competition and came in second. Very pleased, especially since I thought the third place entry was better than mine and first place was way above my painting level. No real prize, other than getting to display in their shop window, but it was fun trying something new.

First:

From a while back, but the guy who painted this got some artwork commissioned, which I think is pretty neat.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rantmo posted:

Do Badger airbrushes have their own valve for connecting to hoses? I bought a Patriot 105 (two days ago of course) and it occurs to me that the hose I have from my rechargeable compressor might not actually fit it without some sort of convertor. I haven't been able to get a clear answer from the Google on this.
yes and it’s basically a crime that they don’t ship a connector with each brush

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

rantmo posted:

You're gonna want one of these.

Just did another round of priming, for my forgefiend. Been getting kind of a grainy texture on a lot of the pieces that I'm wondering if I should find concerning. It also seems like the paint doesn't want to cover up corners/crevices well. What do yall think?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This is definitely the biggest thing I've ever 3D printed. It may be the biggest thing I've ever painted that wasn't a Gundam.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Seeing the Badger sale and seeing airbrushes used to great effect in more and more videos makes me want to start looking into getting one. I see that there's a lot of information on different companies and models out there, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the beginner "Airbrush + Compressor" all in one unit that charges with a USB plug. You seem to be able to pick them up for $60-$80 on Amazon, and it looked like a good way to get a beginner airbrush without laying out a lot of money.

I know with these things you get what you pay for, but as I'm already low on space and don't have a lot of technical know how, I could skip the whole separate compressor and hoses part of the equation.

Any information on these models would be much appreciated.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I have the NoName and as near as I can tell it works really well. I say as near as I can tell because it seems like the airbrush that came in the kit I got from Spray Gunner is so cheap that it's non-functional. I suppose it's possible that I'm so inept at using it that I have rendered it useless but I'm feeling increasingly confident that it was not user error that is to blame for it completely not working. In any event it certainly pumps air and hopefully does so well enough that, with a proper airbrush, it will actually paint too.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Eschatos posted:

You're gonna want one of these.

Just did another round of priming, for my forgefiend. Been getting kind of a grainy texture on a lot of the pieces that I'm wondering if I should find concerning. It also seems like the paint doesn't want to cover up corners/crevices well. What do yall think?

Yeah, it shouldn’t look like that. Someone with more expertise than me might be able to tell you what the problem is. It might be the primer, since you’re using a non-black and those can be problematic, especially white. It looks like it might be that it’s drying in the air, before hitting the model - which can give a splatter like grainy surface. It can be caused by using too high psi, not being thinned enough (possibly too much?), and/or distance from model.

E: might also be the distance from the model, too far away and the paint can dry in the air.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 25, 2021

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I think I'm going to order another badger brush. I have the sotar 2020, what's another good one to compliment that? Something a little less fine so priming is a bit easier maybe?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
As a variation of the same question, I'm really interested in picking up an airbrush as well and those sale prices look really enticing. Is the Patriot a 'beginner friendly' model, or should I be looking at the Sotar or the... Krome?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The 105 patriot is a great beginner friendly brush. It's 5mm, so bigger than the Sotar, great for large coverage and priming.

I do gunpla mostly so not miniature scale, but I can vouch for it being a great brush in general

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You both most assuredly want the Patriot 105.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

One more maybe dumb question while I'm already on a roll with them. I dug out my old paints from storage to see what can be salvaged. The Vallejo stuff looks like pic related, and it seems like it's mostly shaking back to mixed when I try. The Citadel stuff I rely on for most of my schemes, on the other hand... I can't tell what's still fine and what's hosed, and the pot design isn't helping considering I can't see poo poo in them. Aside from Ceramite White which looked like a cube of feta cheese sitting in milk. Is there an easy way to tell what can be saved? Should I just bite the bullet and rebuy the ~7-10 paints I'll likely be using in the near future to avoid any potential fuckups from secretly bad paint?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SkyeAuroline posted:

Aside from Ceramite White which looked like a cube of feta cheese sitting in milk.

So, a normal pot of Ceramite White then? :v:

My suggestion would be try mixing them with a toothpick and perhaps adding a drop or two of distilled water to the pots if they seem to stir but are otherwise thick. If they're a solid lump they're probably useless.

Edit: You don't want to use tap water as that can spoil the paint in the long-run, but that may be a moot point either way.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 25, 2021

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

You both most assuredly want the Patriot 105.

Agreed. I was thinking of ordering a krome too, what's it's general use?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, a normal pot of Ceramite White then? :v:

My suggestion would be try mixing them with a toothpick and perhaps adding a drop or two of distilled water to the pots if they seem to stir but are otherwise thick. If they're a solid lump they're probably useless.

Edit: You don't want to use tap water as that can spoil the paint in the long-run, but that may be a moot point either way.

Gotcha. I do at least still have a small mountain of airbrush thinner that appears to be in perfectly good shape, if that's a substitute for the distilled water here.

May still replace the base colors just to be safe, but I have to find the other half of where my paints went first...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The goal is to get some moisture in if the pots are drying out, and then see if they can be mixed back to a normal consistency. If they're just thick they're probably fine, if they're starting to turn into a solid polymer they're pretty dead.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Agreed. I was thinking of ordering a krome too, what's it's general use?
I've never used a Krome, so I'll defer to others. To me, though, it's always been in this neither-nor spot where it's too fancy to be kicked around like a 105, but not fancy and precise enough to be used like a Sotar for detailing. I would not personally buy a Krome.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Unit of 20 Grave Guard.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I have made a very poor financial decision and have finally ordered some Warhammer minis, a start collecting (Beastclaw Raiders) box. Do not pray for me, I'm already dead.
Pix to (eventually) follow

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Apparently blood for the blood god is the most valuable liquid in my metropolitan area and is sold out everywhere so this guys goes unbloodied until there is a restock.

I'm not super happy with the head veins but this was just a cheap model to practice airbrushing with so whatever. I am pleased with getting better with glazing (red tips on the tentacles and knuckles). Before I was brushing from the dark end to the light end and using the brush tip but as per Miniac light side to dark with the side of the brush is the way to go.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
god drat it, thats what I get for impulse buying an airbrush off amazon instead of checking this thread

can someone reassure me that I wont kill my cat with fumes or something if my ventilation game is weak

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Unoriginal Name posted:

god drat it, thats what I get for impulse buying an airbrush off amazon instead of checking this thread

can someone reassure me that I wont kill my cat with fumes or something if my ventilation game is weak

I did the same thing and ended up buying both a p100 mask and an airbrush booth. Probably overkill but you only have one set of lungs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you can smell paint then it's in your lungs

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I got a foldup airbrush booth and I've got a P100, Im just worried about trying to do it in the living room

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
For those looking to buy their first airbrush, I have four badgers an this is my personal opinion in the order that I purchased them.

Patriot 105 - This is my workhorse brush, I do all my priming, basecoating and varnishing with it. It's rugged as all hell and super forgiving. I've let paint dry in it overnight and just gave it a good flushing and it works just fine again. If you're patient and practice you can get very fine lines and details with it.

I painted this guy completely with a 105

Renegade Krome - I never use this brush, it's big and heavy (and I have big man meat mitts) and it's super finicky, I have a terrible time getting paint to the right consistency to flow through it. I tried using it with a larger needle but it was still a pain in the rear end to use.

SOTAR 20/20 - This thing will lay down the thinnest lines, it's small but even my big hands can still be precise with it. It has a small paint cup so you're never going to use it for priming or basecoating. I use this brush when I'm getting super detailed. You really have to thin your paints properly to get results with this brush, but it's not as finicky as the Krome.

Patriot 105 eXtreme - This is my second most used brush, it's basically a regular patriot with a finer detail needle and some extra upgrades that make it easier to handle than the standard brush. I use this for most of my details, it can't quite put down as fine a line as the SOTAR but it's pretty close.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I just wanted to chime in that I do prime with my sotar. It's not ideal but it's honestly fine priming small batches if you only have money for one brush and are worried about being able to prime.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thank you thread. i have a long road ahead of me but ive come a long ways already

forgive the mold lines. i will do better next time. very happy with how my faces are starting to look. also finally starting using colors rather than drab browns and metals.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Bucnasti posted:

I painted this guy completely with a 105

This wasn’t the product of a CK Studios airbrushing class by any chance, was it? That particular paint job looks incredibly familiar.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I just wanted to chime in that I do prime with my sotar. It's not ideal but it's honestly fine priming small batches if you only have money for one brush and are worried about being able to prime.

Define 'small batch' for someone who doesn't do a battalion at once. I take it 2-3 28mm or one 120mm figure wouldn't be too much to prime with a SOTAR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

PoptartsNinja posted:

The goal is to get some moisture in if the pots are drying out, and then see if they can be mixed back to a normal consistency. If they're just thick they're probably fine, if they're starting to turn into a solid polymer they're pretty dead.

Good news is, out of my couple dozen Vallejo paints, only one was a lost cause (Foundation White, surprising nobody) and one was a potential save I hosed up (Magic Blue... exploded - not ideal over a carpeted area, and I'm gonna have to find a small floor mat for right there once I get a seat and can start working). Rest seem to have at least enough of a useful consistency for glazing or further rescue. I'm still working through the Citadel stock and seeing what's lost causes so I can put a new list together, but for the most part these seem to be saved too. And I found all my old supplies, too, including a perfectly fine stockpole of greenstuff.

If it weren't for reports of Citadel lids popping open on vortex mixers, one of those would be sounding very nice right now, if expensive.

Further thought: think I've decided on accenting the Incubi Darkness with some bone-colored detailing and doing any future fabrics in a burgundy red. Plus the orange lenses. 5 push fit Marines en route to get back in the swing and test some schemes on.