Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, he said it in his blog not long after Dances came out so :shrug:

GRRM does not tell the truth especially when he said it 10 years ago. There’s also a chance he may have been referring to the outline that someone hunted down and found in a university archive a couple years ago which was from the early 90s for a trilogy and is almost unrecognizable from the current plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

moosecow333 posted:

I’m of the opinion that he’s actually finished all the books but he’s gonna release them right when he dies.

He doesn’t need the money and if the books totally suck he’ll be dead and won’t know or care how they’re received.

Ah, the Copernicus approach

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

As much as GoT the TV show sucks, and the books are an unfinished failure, I was just recently reminded there's some good stuff in this series.

I wandered into a comic book store drunk the other day and against my better judgement bought the World of Ice and Fire, the lore book. As far as lore books go, it's a fun read - it's clever to wrap it as a Westerosi maester writing based on the information they have, making all the text suspect. You're left kind of puzzling the truth on your own from between the lines.

Reading that inspired me to reread the actual books for the first time in ten years, and hey, they're pretty good. Up to the end of Storm of Swords, which is where I'll stop my reread.

What I'm saying is they should do a reboot of the show.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
I really don't know why he doesn't just hand all those preview chapters and whatever napkin scrawlings he has over to some no-name ghost writer, toss them a few thousand bucks and put something out. The franchise's name is mud already, what's the worst that could happen?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Asgerd posted:

I really don't know why he doesn't just hand all those preview chapters and whatever napkin scrawlings he has over to some no-name ghost writer, toss them a few thousand bucks and put something out. The franchise's name is mud already, what's the worst that could happen?

Because he has nothing

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Asgerd posted:

GRRM is so allergic to writing words that he only makes phone calls in lieu of writing a single line of text

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s not that hard to start from the fact that every preview chapter he has revealed was something he wrote before ADWD was published and then come to the stark realization that if he’s indeed been writing over the last decade so so much of it has been rewriting endlessly as he keeps running into dead ends with his “I’m a gardener I don’t use outlines” approach.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Asgerd posted:

It has been explicitly stated that this will not happen. Either GRRM finishes it or no one does. :v:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s not that hard to start from the fact that every preview chapter he has revealed was something he wrote before ADWD was published and then come to the stark realization that if he’s indeed been writing over the last decade so so much of it has been rewriting endlessly as he keeps running into dead ends with his “I’m a gardener I don’t use outlines” approach.

The funniest thing about Dances is that, in the end, he ended up chopping the last 500ish manuscript pages and saving them for Winds. So Dances could have come out a year or two earlier than it did and something like a third of the MS for Winds was finished before Dances was published.
:laugh:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The best resolution to the series we can hope for is to leave the CK2 mod running for a few years and see what happens.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is likely it. His story is so messed up because he has to keep hacking up his books that consist of something like two dozen active POVs at the moment and he's got to figure out how to present those stories in a way that doesn't read like garbage. By this point, the POV characters with unresolved plots are Dany, Jon (I know, but he's likely coming back), Bran, Arya, Brienne, Sansa (both not mentioned in a while by the end of ADWD), Sam, Barristan, a bunch of Dornish people, Victarion, Cersei, Tyrion, Jamie, Theon, Stannis, and I'm sure I'm missing a few others. To even spin the wheels on all of those for one book is going to take a high chapter count, and trying to organize it would suck. It definitely felt like ADWD was supposed to go longer and by the end to have as many characters dead, resolved, or conjoining their plotlines as possible.

"Gardening" sounds great until you've created a situation where you're trying to organically feel out a story that has spread out into dozens of POVs and thousands of pages that must be finished before the vague deadline of "before you collapse dead onto the keyboard of your old Wordstar." I think he deserves poo poo for lying (I bet 2022 will be the "best year for WoW progress yet") and for not adjusting his writing style and working with a co-writer all the while giving lectures telling people how to write. I have some sympathy for him as his reputation is in a really precarious position in his final years, but that's really where it starts and ends.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

The best resolution to the series we can hope for is to leave the CK2 mod running for a few years and see what happens.

I hope the CK3 version comes out soon, I had so much fun with the CK2 mod.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

This is likely it. His story is so messed up because he has to keep hacking up his books that consist of something like two dozen active POVs at the moment and he's got to figure out how to present those stories in a way that doesn't read like garbage. By this point, the POV characters with unresolved plots are Dany, Jon (I know, but he's likely coming back), Bran, Arya, Brienne, Sansa (both not mentioned in a while by the end of ADWD), Sam, Barristan, a bunch of Dornish people, Victarion, Cersei, Tyrion, Jamie, Theon, Stannis, and I'm sure I'm missing a few others. To even spin the wheels on all of those for one book is going to take a high chapter count, and trying to organize it would suck. It definitely felt like ADWD was supposed to go longer and by the end to have as many characters dead, resolved, or conjoining their plotlines as possible.

"Gardening" sounds great until you've created a situation where you're trying to organically feel out a story that has spread out into dozens of POVs and thousands of pages that must be finished before the vague deadline of "before you collapse dead onto the keyboard of your old Wordstar." I think he deserves poo poo for lying (I bet 2022 will be the "best year for WoW progress yet") and for not adjusting his writing style and working with a co-writer all the while giving lectures telling people how to write. I have some sympathy for him as his reputation is in a really precarious position in his final years, but that's really where it starts and ends.

He also seems terrified to give in and say that maybe he’d have an easier time writing if he allowed himself an 8th or even 9th book to fill out the series because it would basically be a straight up acknowledgment that he won’t live to finish it. Also there’s no guarantee that he’d be able to finally reign himself in and resist the temptation to continue to expand the story.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 25, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm glad GRRM just did the backstory for Elden Ring because he's really good at that and it takes less effort than finishing a bunch of books.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm glad GRRM just did the backstory for Elden Ring because he's really good at that and it takes less effort than finishing a bunch of books.

It really is the perfect role for him.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He also seems terrified to give in and say that maybe he’d have an easier time writing if he allowed himself an 8th or even 9th book to fill out the series because it would basically be a straight up acknowledgment that he won’t live to finish it. Also there’s no guarantee that he’d be able to finally reign himself in and resist the temptation to continue to expand the story.

I have to wonder why he couldn't have just, say, released smaller books. So many of his characters are so far apart geographically that unless he really pulls some narrative magic in bringing their stories together, it seems like he could just have a book that only involves one or two POV characters.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ITT: people still in the denial / bargaining stages.

If he couldn't write a book when the entire world was shut down for a year with zero nerdcons to attend, zero book signings, no NFL preseason, nothing to do but hang out at home, it will never ever ever never never ever happen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

ITT: people still in the denial / bargaining stages.

If he couldn't write a book when the entire world was shut down for a year with zero nerdcons to attend, zero book signings, no NFL preseason, nothing to do but hang out at home, it will never ever ever never never ever happen.

GRRM has not published a complete book in 21 years. A Feast For Crows was 45% of what should have been A Dance With Dragons, and A Dance With Dragons was another 45% of what the whole book was supposed it because it was ripped out of GRRM's hands unfinished in a panic by his publisher in order to get something out the door so they wouldn't get bigfooted by the premiere of the show, leaving another ~10% still unfinished and to be shoved into The Winds of Winter.

There will never be any more books. GRRM is not going to ride in a white horse and save everything. The show's ending is THE ending. Deal with it.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

HonorableTB posted:

I agree that it's a lovely thing to do, it's just at the end of the day he's still written and published five books more than I have so I try to keep my feelings of disappointment in check

That's actually pretty impressive on your part, ngl. What kind of books do you write?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wasabi the J posted:

At the very least, it's plain deceptive to promise something you have no intention of finishing, and continuing to promise things you know to be a lie is just dickhead poo poo, y'know?

It'ssm just douchey, and I think it's okay to feel that poo poo without implying anything needs to be done about it.

Who did it worse: GRRM or Sufjan Stevens?

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 28, 2021

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

nine-gear crow posted:

The show's ending is THE ending. Deal with it.

I don't think GRRM is ever going to finish the books, no, but I'm betting someone is. The books will probably get an ending, written by some journeyman author citing "GRRM's story notes," to be released within a few years of GRRM's death to extremely middling reviews.

I don't think the TV show is the only conclusion to this story we'll see. But I also don't think it'll matter much, and by the time it happens, pop culture will have moved on.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Brian Sanderson will finish the books in a competent but unremarkable fashion

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Brian Sanderson will finish the books in a competent but unremarkable fashion

He’s repeatedly said he wouldn’t even if offered because it’s not his style.

Anyway since GRRM doesn’t keep notes I’m not sure what any other author can do for the story if he drops dead.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He’s repeatedly said he wouldn’t even if offered because it’s not his style.

Anyway since GRRM doesn’t keep notes I’m not sure what any other author can do for the story if he drops dead.

Wheel of Time can't be the only time in history a new writer picked up something unfinished and finished it right? I mean, unless Martin's estate has the power to stop them I really don't think there's any reason why the Publisher wouldn't just put it in someone else's hands even if they have to go it completely down their own road without Martin's notes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Wheel of Time can't be the only time in history a new writer picked up something unfinished and finished it right? I mean, unless Martin's estate has the power to stop them I really don't think there's any reason why the Publisher wouldn't just put it in someone else's hands even if they have to go it completely down their own road without Martin's notes.

Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, Clive Cussler, and James Patterson have all had other authors pick up their works and publish them under their names following their deaths, retirements, or incapacitation, or as part of the "Author Name As Brand" trend that's emerged of late as well. People have also tried to finish both the Canterbury Tales and The 1,001 Nights as well with varying degrees of success.

No one is going to do that for GRRM. ASoIaF is long past its cultural sell-by date now. The show slammed a pitchfork through its semi-warm, still twitching corpse.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

nine-gear crow posted:

No one is going to do that for GRRM. ASoIaF is long past its cultural sell-by date now. The show slammed a pitchfork through its semi-warm, still twitching corpse.

I don't think that's true at all. For the mainstream mass media audience maybe, we'll see with the Targaryen show I suppose. But I really don't think that the show being a disaster dampened the desire of the book-buying audience to see the "real," ending whatsoever.

I mean, there should be an easy piece of evidence on this one way or the other: what were the sales for Fire and Blood like? I presume good because the ASOIAF community was buzzing about it endlessly when it came out (granted, in many ways negatively, but that's not necessarily indicative of a willingness to not buy more). Granted it was just before Season 8, but if it was a success I hardly think one can categorize the book franchise as distinct from the show as "semi-warm, still twitching corpse."

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 30, 2021

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Its worse. Hound straight up goes "Sorry you got raped" and Sansa goes "NO, it was an important character growth moment for me"

loving yikes. Not wanting to let yourself be a victim forever is cool but that's not exactly how you show it.

Yeah for real how did that line make it to the final cut :yikes:

If there was any doubt left that D&D's Confederate pitch was gonna be a tactless, insensitive trainwreck, this line cleared it up.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 30, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Screenplay by Dan Weiss and David Benioff. Executive producers Dan Weiss and David Benioff.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

lezard_valeth posted:

If there was any doubt left that D&D's Confederate pitch was gonna be a tactless, insensitive trainwreck, this line cleared it up.
The first and most important step toward giving a real apology for an offense is to, y'know, be sorry.

People rightly hated what they did to Sansa for shock value. Wasn't in the books. Caused a lot of people to stop watching. Thinkpieces were written.

Then instead of rehabbing that somehow or just ignoring it, they decided, in their infinite wisdom, to double down and flip the bird at those who didn't like their child rape storyline by having that character say that she's glad it happened.

gently caress off, D&D, from me and every rape survivor out there. Just, sincerely, gently caress off and don't make more things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
It reminds me of the remake of ghost in the shell, where they reacted to the negative response of casting ScarJo by... adding a bit to the story where they double down and say "oh ScarJo is actually Asian deep down!"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Sanguinia posted:

They do. Why do so many people think genre fiction authors are property lmao. They aren't going to publish books without his permission, and they aren't going to claw back advances.

He didn't sign a contract turning over the ownership of the books, just the right to publish them in a specific market. It might not be in contract at all anymore - he sold it as a trilogy! Although I do love the idea of his US publisher competing with every international, audio and ebook publisher to put out their own different sequels.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is Winds of Winter or the Pat Rothfuss finale going to come out first, and which will be cringier

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

His estate would stop any unauthorised ending being published, but whether or not Martin wanted it his estate could, in exhange for money, authorise an "official" ending.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
50 Shades of Winter when?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

His estate will release the ending when the Giants win the super bowl

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

nine-gear crow posted:

Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, Clive Cussler, and James Patterson have all had other authors pick up their works and publish them under their names following their deaths, retirements, or incapacitation, or as part of the "Author Name As Brand" trend that's emerged of late as well. People have also tried to finish both the Canterbury Tales and The 1,001 Nights as well with varying degrees of success.

You also have both Tolkien's and Herbert's sons continuing in their fathers' series; Tolkien with a particular reverence for his father's work, Herbert with a complete lack thereof.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

With the way machine learning research is going I think we will be able to read a good version of WoW/ADoS sometimes by 2060 and then this national nightmare will finally be over. Train the generator on GoT/CoK/SoS and the discriminator on plot opinions itt. I think this should work.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

GABA ghoul posted:

With the way machine learning research is going I think we will be able to read a good version of WoW/ADoS sometimes by 2060 and then this national nightmare will finally be over. Train the generator on GoT/CoK/SoS and the discriminator on plot opinions itt. I think this should work.
At the very least, it would provide us a superior Dance to the one we got (Feast wouldn't even exist)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I don't know why people are so desperate for TWOW or ADOS, all you need to do is read my post history in this thread to see exactly what's going to happen. :smug:

If you'll excuse me, I need to go take my Prozac, because my brain is completely hosed thanks to OCD.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The book is already written in the Library of Babel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is Winds of Winter or the Pat Rothfuss finale going to come out first, and which will be cringier

I mean WoW has the advantage that the rest of the series isn't poo poo
Unlike Rothfuss