Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cyks posted:

Just spent 8000 gold on ninetales before realizing it’s the reward for day two… still on day one so I don’t know if I’ll get anything for day two yet but that’s very unfortunate.

Having a blast and been playing all day though.

You'll get refunded the coins when Ninetails unlocks don't worry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I think all the types are well represented but there's absolutely no Steel type. This is bullshit. Edit: Nm Lucario lmao

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Cyks posted:

Just spent 8000 gold on ninetales before realizing it’s the reward for day two… still on day one so I don’t know if I’ll get anything for day two yet but that’s very unfortunate.

Having a blast and been playing all day though.

You'll get refunded when you unlock ninetales.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Concurred posted:

I think all the types are well represented but there's absolutely no Steel type. This is bullshit. Edit: Nm Lucario lmao

steel types are dope and there should be more of them, imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i want scizor

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Endorph posted:

i want scizor

You'll get Trashmadam and like it.

E: now I want Garbodor or Galarian Weezing...

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I thought i remembered seeing a squirtle somewhere in the tutorial but there's a 90% chance I was hallucinating

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Psycho Society posted:

I thought i remembered seeing a squirtle somewhere in the tutorial but there's a 90% chance I was hallucinating

You did and the first character drop is blastoise.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wonder who will come after Blastoise. Are we missing any types?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wonder who will come after Blastoise. Are we missing any types?
Dark: 2 (Absol, Greninja)
Flying: 3 (Charizard, Cramorant, Talonflame)
Fire: 3 (Charizard, Cinderace, Talonflame)
Water: 2 (Slowbro, Cramorant)
Bug: 1 (Crustle)
Rock: 1 (Crustle)
Ground: 1 (Garchomp)
Dragon: 1 (Garchomp)
Ghost: 1 (Gengar)
Poison: 2 (Gengar, venusaur)
Steel: 1 (Lucario)
Fighting: 2 (Lucario, Machamp)
Psychic: 2 (Slowbro, Mr Mime)
Ice: 1 (Alolan Ninetails)
Electric: 2 (pikachu, zeraora)
Normal: 2 (Snorlax, Wigglytuff)
Grass: 2 (Eldegoss, venusaur)
Fairy: 1 (Wigglytuff)

So we have every type, though ground, poison, and steel only have what id call 'secondary' types. Like garchomp is primarily a dragon designwise, not ground

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Not that it matters in this game but a few have dual types

Wigglytuff is Fairy/Normal
Ninetails is Ice/Fairy
And Mr. Mime is Psychic/Fairy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally i thought about it and one thing i thinkd be really cute is if they put tyrogue in and made its level up skill choices both between a punch move and a kick move. if you pick both kicks you get hitmonlee, if you pick both punches you get hitmonchan, and if you pick one of each you get hitmontop. thatd be fun.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Blastoise is next and then I'm pretty sure Gardevoir?

Also a neat thing you can do is, when checking the ranking leaderboards, check people's profiles and you can see their match history, winrate, best heroes, etc. One particularly interesting thing I've noticed is that for all the top players, they're all playing straight Cinderace. After playing him a few times, yeah I think this guy is just outright the best character in the game bar-none. You've got a huge range, massive autoattack damage, the ability to just become invincible, and are super fast. No other hero is able to safely chunk down enemies in the laning phase like this, and you scale super well, you kill neutrals faster than any character except Gengar, this guy is just absolutely insane. I'm honestly not even going to bother playing ranked for the next few days until he unlocks.

I genuinely regret picking Talonflame as my first free Pokemon. Would way rather have Snorlax/Edelgoss now that I know that I've got some experience with the game

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I really rate Talonflame? I feel like you can just play your own game, counter jungle the opposing speedster and then carry your team to victory across the midgame.

I strongly suspect that there's broken poo poo I don't understand, I've been avidly avoiding ranked as much as possible until I understand more about what works and doesn't.

In other news I don't see many people running the Fairy side of Ninetales but I think it's really powerful relative to her Ice side. Aurora veil in particular feels like a cheat code for getting easy freezes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

it's pronounced cinder-ah-chee like liberace.

I will not be taking any questions.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ranked is a completely different game than normals. I'm stuck at Elite 4 (heh heh) and the laning stage is so punishing that if you fall behind you're never catching back up. So, whichever team has better harass and survivability has a massive advantage, and Scorbunny has the best harass in the game.

Talonflame isn't bad per-se, he's just not any significantly better (or even really different) from Zeraora. Snorlax on the other hand seems like a massive upgrade from Slowbro, who can survive in the lane okay but can't really punish the enemy if they decide to ignore you and focus your partner down. Or Edelgoss who is the only healer in the game for some reason

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Natural 20 posted:

I really rate Talonflame? I feel like you can just play your own game, counter jungle the opposing speedster and then carry your team to victory across the midgame.

I strongly suspect that there's broken poo poo I don't understand, I've been avidly avoiding ranked as much as possible until I understand more about what works and doesn't.

In other news I don't see many people running the Fairy side of Ninetales but I think it's really powerful relative to her Ice side. Aurora veil in particular feels like a cheat code for getting easy freezes.

When I see a Talonflame they usually end with 0 points scored for some reason.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ranked is a completely different game than normals. I'm stuck at Elite 4 (heh heh) and the laning stage is so punishing that if you fall behind you're never catching back up. So, whichever team has better harass and survivability has a massive advantage, and Scorbunny has the best harass in the game.

Talonflame isn't bad per-se, he's just not any significantly better (or even really different) from Zeraora. Snorlax on the other hand seems like a massive upgrade from Slowbro, who can survive in the lane okay but can't really punish the enemy if they decide to ignore you and focus your partner down. Or Edelgoss who is the only healer in the game for some reason

Why do you rate Snorlax over Slowbro? I've found the stun city of the latter to be far more aggravating late than just the ignorable pool of HP that is Snorlax.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, Gengar is amazing

Also, he's really good in Unite

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wow, Gengar is amazing

:hmmyes:

I haven't played Gengar yet, I've just been dinking around with Snorlax and Slowbro, both of whom are heaps of fun. I'm getting slightly better results with Slowbro, Surf is just a great team fight opener and gank tool. I also just love that pink doofus. I never realized how much I would like a moba where all the characters are cute monsters and there are no embarrassing super male-gazy female characters, but here we are.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Natural 20 posted:

Why do you rate Snorlax over Slowbro? I've found the stun city of the latter to be far more aggravating late than just the ignorable pool of HP that is Snorlax.

Snorlax has an AoE stun and a wall move you are unable to shoot projectiles through which are absolutely massive for a game where the winner is determined by a close-quarters fight inside the Zapdos pit. Telekinesis is a great stun but can be interrupted with another stun stun, like from Snorlax, so in a direct matchup Snorlax just totally negates Slowpoke's whole thing. I mean, if you don't take that you're taking Amnesia which is basically useless. Surf/Slald are both fine but are just inferior to both of Snorlax's moves. Slowbro's only actual stun is his Ult, as opposed to Snorlax whose stun is on a seven second cooldown. Hell, if you wanted to skip the wall move you could just take Yawn, which is basically Telekinesis. Snorlax just does everything Slowpoke does but better and makes him obsolete.

I think he's #2 behind Cinderace

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So what are the best items to buy from the aeos emporium?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So what are the best items to buy from the aeos emporium?

I'd hold off on buying an item until we see which ones you get for free. Like, I bought Shell Bell the other day and then turns out it's the free reward for today's challenge. There's only one day worth of challenges left so I'll I'd hold off, but right now I'd say that the Rocky Helmet and Float Stone are the two best choices

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think(?) you get your money back if you get it from a quest, at least. Move speed is always good in these games though so yeah float stone is a must pick imo. If you're playing support I really like buddy barrier also, it doesn't proc that often but its totally something that can swing a team fight in your favor when you get a chance to use it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

homeless snail posted:

I think(?) you get your money back if you get it from a quest, at least. Move speed is always good in these games though so yeah float stone is a must pick imo. If you're playing support I really like buddy barrier also, it doesn't proc that often but its totally something that can swing a team fight in your favor when you get a chance to use it.

Nope! You get your money back if you buy a pokemon license and get a duplicate from a quest, but if you get a duplicate item you'll get 30 item enhancers, which are worth quite a bit less than the item was. It's another one of the F2P annoyances that are getting under my skin with this game -- I'd like to start playing with the items but I don't want to waste precious tickets, so I have to wait til the end of the week when I'll have gotten through all the beginner challenges. Plus I don't know what the best items will end up being, so I feel bad leveling anything up.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

FishFood posted:

I never realized how much I would like a moba where all the characters are cute monsters

exactly this for me. it's great

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
This games fun, i now realize i horribly misinterpreted the map in the op. Really like alolan ninetales shes so cute! Also its really funny to put up a wall with avalanche and then blast them with a blizzard they cant escape

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Wow, Gengar is amazing

It's a long shot, but I'm really hoping we see Mismagius for another ghost.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
In my first random match, I went 11-0-4, sniped a bouffalant buff from the enemy absol, and got MVP. I was playing eldegoss.

Game is good. Do not sleep on elsegoss.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MelvinBison posted:

In my first random match, I went 11-0-4, sniped a bouffalant buff from the enemy absol, and got MVP. I was playing eldegoss.

I've been maining him. His skills look boring and his tornado seems useless but he's very powerful. In mobas aoe slows are super useful. His even exceeds his targeting reticle for reach. It also has a low cool down so you can stay on the edge of a fight and pump in slows and damage. If your fighters keep positioned correctly and buffer for you can keep them up for ever and cover a retreat for them.

I've ranked up a bit and I'm seeing the meta emerge, jungling early and farming efficiency are being figured out as well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Also the lack of stats in this game is nuts. It's super infuriating. I'm sure they are doing shadow changes and tuning the game, and not giving those details probably saves them all the hate.

Is there a site that has sorted all that out?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Ignoring the fact that they have a tier list ready to go despite the game only being out for 4 days, this site has the Def, Sp. Def, and HP data for all the characters so far: https://rankedboost.com/pokemon-unite/best-pokemon-tier-list/.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

Ignoring the fact that they have a tier list ready to go despite the game only being out for 4 days, this site has the Def, Sp. Def, and HP data for all the characters so far: https://rankedboost.com/pokemon-unite/best-pokemon-tier-list/.

Lol i guess i lucked into ninetales being a good big damage build, but tbf the avalanche into blizzard combo isnt hard to figure out

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

mandatory lesbian posted:

Lol i guess i lucked into ninetales being a good big damage build, but tbf the avalanche into blizzard combo isnt hard to figure out

The real answer is go Aurora Veil and Dazzling Gleam.

Testing on a doll it does more DPS in a single target fight at 15 plus all the other goodies (a stun, buffs allies defenses, turns basic attacks into buffed).
I’m sure there’s situations the wall might come in handy but the time difference between blizzard and avalanche makes it harder to time right and you run the risk of accidentally pushing an enemy out of range.
The only time the other two failed me was against a Crustle smart enough to push me out of my veil constantly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

MelvinBison posted:

Just did my first ranked match and MVP’d with Eldegoss against a team that was an exact mirror of ours. Hopefully they add another healer soon, because Eldegoss is kind of a boring Pokémon. Give me Chansey, or Bellosssum, or something.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I’m an idiot that used to play league a while ago. Any guides or a succinct primer to read for this? Also, how “predatory” is the monetization? Should I just be ready to cough up :tenbux: in this free game or is it more egregious? I love Pokémon and have played a few rounds and have had fun but I don’t really know what I’m doing, I’m winning but I’m probably just beating kids or bots

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

I found out you can exchange costume tickets for item boosters and that doesn't seem like a bad tradeoff?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

gay_crimes posted:

I’m an idiot that used to play league a while ago. Any guides or a succinct primer to read for this? Also, how “predatory” is the monetization? Should I just be ready to cough up :tenbux: in this free game or is it more egregious? I love Pokémon and have played a few rounds and have had fun but I don’t really know what I’m doing, I’m winning but I’m probably just beating kids or bots

About as bad as the old League rune pages were. So not bad enough to require you to cough up money to be competitive but enough to be noticeable if you do have things maxxed out.

If you play league, read the chatter on this thread and pick up and play. It's super super simple so it'll be easy to pick up quickly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cyks posted:

The real answer is go Aurora Veil and Dazzling Gleam.

Testing on a doll it does more DPS in a single target fight at 15 plus all the other goodies (a stun, buffs allies defenses, turns basic attacks into buffed).
I’m sure there’s situations the wall might come in handy but the time difference between blizzard and avalanche makes it harder to time right and you run the risk of accidentally pushing an enemy out of range.
The only time the other two failed me was against a Crustle smart enough to push me out of my veil constantly.

The walls fun, and thats all that matters to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Concurred posted:

I found out you can exchange costume tickets for item boosters and that doesn't seem like a bad tradeoff?

all the real pokemon game players are saving up for snorlax pajamas