Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I wouldn't refi out of a 3% 30yr to a 15yr with astronomical points. Just put the extra towards your principle and if you ever need the money for something else it's available to you.

This guy is a colossal jerk but this calculator is great. No bullshit.
https://www.ramseysolutions.com/real-estate/mortgage-payoff-calculator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

m0therfux0r posted:

Based on what it's like to get contractors (or anything contractor/landscaping adjacent here), that tree is going to grow through my entire house before I can get someone to call me back and schedule a second appointment (seriously- this was one of the two places I found that had reviews that weren't 80% just people saying "they never called me back"). I have a price range in mind based on some research I did online though, so if he quotes me way higher than that I'll at least make the attempt.

Mostly just wanted to know what other crap they might try to add on or claim I need to do- I literally just want the branches cut down. The owner of this company is my friend's neighbor, so hopefully they won't try to pull anything lovely.

One thing I'd suggest is take a look at any other trees in your yard that need trimming (if they have dead branches or whatever). The cost to get them to trim another tree while they're there is going to be pretty minimal as compared to getting them to come back.

Also if you just need trees trimmed, you don't *need* an arborist, a generic tree service crew will do just fine.... just make sure they're insured either way!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

I wouldn't refi out of a 3% 30yr to a 15yr with astronomical points. Just put the extra towards your principle and if you ever need the money for something else it's available to you.

Agreed.

We recently went from a 30 to 15 but it was going from 4.3875 to a (no point) 2.25.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Sundae posted:

Also, if you have group legal plans as a benefit at your job, talk to them. Most of those plans cover establishing trusts as part of their services. It was $50 for us, so it was an absolute no-brainer.
Wow, that's amazing. It's a couple thousand around here easily. The most important parts for us were putting the house in a trust and getting guardianship provisions set up for our kid.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

Wow, that's amazing. It's a couple thousand around here easily. The most important parts for us were putting the house in a trust and getting guardianship provisions set up for our kid.

Yep, same thing for us. We set up the condo, all the pre-existing assets, survivorship rights, LW&T stuff, medical decisions, and guardianship provisions for our kid as well. All for the low low price of $50. :haw: (Well, $50 plus about $8 per month in legal plan deductions from my paycheck, so like $150 really.)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sundae posted:

Yep, same thing for us. We set up the condo, all the pre-existing assets, survivorship rights, LW&T stuff, medical decisions, and guardianship provisions for our kid as well. All for the low low price of $50. :haw: (Well, $50 plus about $8 per month in legal plan deductions from my paycheck, so like $150 really.)

Yeah when I bought a hosue I signed up for $14/month legal services.. and then turned it off. There was a pandemic going on so I dind't do a will but might turn it on next year to get some estate planning done once I get myself some term life insurance set up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
As someone who married into a family of estate planning attorneys I feel obligated to say that if you have anything at all special to go to a non-lowest-bidder attorney. If you start seeing provisions for what you will do with your money to bypass the estate tax then give it some serious side eye. It will be a couple of grand. :v:

But seriously having an estate plan (and actually getting your assets into the trust) bypasses probate which is paid for as a fixed % of your estate including the total value of the primary residence, mortgaged to the hilt or not. Own a $500k residence with a $400k mortgage? Still worth $5k to the attorney handling your probate.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What I haven't figured out is what is the advantage of the trust? I've been told to definitely do it; I'm just trying to know more about it.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Pittsburgh always feels so drat small- the tree guy that came over that I was posting about ended up being good friends with the previous owner of my house and was super familiar with the property. Gave me a quote that was right in line with what I was expecting, also just told us that one of the trees we were worried about was small enough that we should just saw it down ourselves instead of paying extra for it. So, not particularly worried about getting ripped off at all!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

just lol at the Better.com officer I've been emailing back and forth with. I sent them a loan estimate with the lender I am probably going to go with and asked if they could beat it, he sends me back a LE for a loan amount $2k higher, APR 0.01% higher, and a lender credit just big enough to get their total closing costs $50 under the other bank. I hope this is the last time I have to deal with loan officers for a good long while.

edit: pretty sad they got rid of their $1000 guarantee

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 23, 2021

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Can anyone identify this ant? There's been a few crawling around my pergola this summer and wondering if I should be looking at ways to murder them.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Looks like a carpenter ant and you should be killing them. I recommend Taurus SC from DoMyOwn

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I want to put up this deer fence for a garden: https://www.2thesunnyside.com/deer-fence-for-the-garden/

The dims are 45 feet x 13 feet. One side is fenced already, so I would only need to put up two 13' sections and one 45' section.

Is a fence contractor the right choice? Do they routinely do custom jobs like this or are they mostly about off the shelf installs of chain link and similar?

How about if I would also like them to pour down some rock, should I hire a landscaper to do that separately of the fence job?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 25, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That looks really nice. But yeah.....that's more "carpenter" and less "fence contractor".

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I bet if you showed that to a local fence company they could do it for you. Some 4x4s with 2x4 stretchers and the wire just looks like it’s sandwiched between 1x2s.

A lot of fences are certainly just premade panels nailed into 4x4s, but it just depends on what you want. I had a 3-board fence installed a few years ago with a wire mesh backer in it, not unlike the one you posted.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I moved into a place with a tiled stand up shower. I assume the POs never did anything like sealing the grout on these tiles. Conventional wisdom from This Old House and googling says it should be regularly (ideally at least yearly) sealed.

Do other people do this? Compounding things, I live in a condo so any water leaking to a unit below would be a huge headache. I don't know how tiled showers are laid exactly but I'm assuming there is an additional waterproof layer beneath them...

The caulking is looking OK... I don't know a sure fire way to check if the caulk is holding up to be 100% waterproof. To be safe I should probably re-caulk or ask a handyman if I'm lazy.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

That looks really nice. But yeah.....that's more "carpenter" and less "fence contractor".

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I bet if you showed that to a local fence company they could do it for you. Some 4x4s with 2x4 stretchers and the wire just looks like it’s sandwiched between 1x2s.

A lot of fences are certainly just premade panels nailed into 4x4s, but it just depends on what you want. I had a 3-board fence installed a few years ago with a wire mesh backer in it, not unlike the one you posted.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at both, and get some quotes.

Is getting a request for quote with pictures and a statement of work from a homeowner weird? I'm including some rough powerpoint drawings laid over photos of the property but should I require they prepare actual drawings?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at both, and get some quotes.

Is getting a request for quote with pictures and a statement of work from a homeowner weird? I'm including some rough powerpoint drawings laid over photos of the property but should I require they prepare actual drawings?

I mean I would expect them to want to come out and measure for any kind of quote. I don’t know much about fence construction but they would probably need to calculate number of posts and the measurements of the material making up the ‘panels’. But it wouldn’t hurt to include photos in the initial contact especially since you have an idea picked out.

My fence job was for one that went around the property line so they gave me a map of the property with where the fence was going for the permit process.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Inner Light posted:

I moved into a place with a tiled stand up shower. I assume the POs never did anything like sealing the grout on these tiles. Conventional wisdom from This Old House and googling says it should be regularly (ideally at least yearly) sealed.

Do other people do this? Compounding things, I live in a condo so any water leaking to a unit below would be a huge headache. I don't know how tiled showers are laid exactly but I'm assuming there is an additional waterproof layer beneath them...

The caulking is looking OK... I don't know a sure fire way to check if the caulk is holding up to be 100% waterproof. To be safe I should probably re-caulk or ask a handyman if I'm lazy.

Not a tile contractor, but just went through a year dealing with two tile showers (probably too closely) and talking with multiple contractors along with probably the same research you've done, so don't take this as scripture:

I've been told sealing grout is not necessary, but recommended by some, and not recommended by others (not very helpful, right?). The idea is that sealing only prevents staining, and doesn't make grout waterproof (nothing will) which is why it's recommended but not required; alternatively, some say it's a detriment because it prevents water in the grout from evaporatingb ultimately it's not done for function or waterproofing, but for asthetics and ease of cleaning.

With regards to caulking, it's not the final say in waterproofing and if the rest of the shower is built correctly it won't matter for waterproofing purposes (and if it's not the caulking won't help) The shower pan base is a waterproofing layer (hot mop, plastic, whatever) with preslope. on top of that will be a mortar mix of an inch or so which is sloped to the drain which has weep holes. On top of that will be the thinset and tiles. Most water drains over the top of the tile into the drain. Water will still absorb into the tile and grout and thinset, where it drains down the mortar bed into the drain weep holes or evaporates. You can't keep all water on top of the tiles only, but the caulking helps, especially in corners or changes in planes. If it leaks, the rest of the shower pan is built to drain the water eventually anyways. If the bottom waterproofing layer is compromised along with the mortar, water is getting down there and leaking regardless of the caulking. More confusingly, " technically " caulking is just "recommended" for corners, and a lot of installers still use grout.

For what it's worth. One of our showers was grouted with a grout with sealant mixed in, and neither had caulking.

Like I said, not a licensed tile contractor, so hopefully someone else can chime in if I'm way off, but bottom line from what I've found is grout sealing is fine but not mandatory, and you are correct there are additional waterproofing layers (and drainage systems) in place below the tile.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 25, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This was an excellent and very helpful post, thanks man. Why was only one of your showers grouted with the special sealed kind, out of curiosity?

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/grout-vs-caulk/ Found this which was a helpful read too.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Inner Light posted:

This was an excellent and very helpful post, thanks man. Why was only one of your showers grouted with the special sealed kind, out of curiosity?

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/grout-vs-caulk/ Found this which was a helpful read too.

We used two different contractors who just built them their own ways (grout was the only difference I saw in the shower pans, though).

I also wanted to point out that cracks in the grout and caulking "shouldn't" impact the waterproofing of the shower pan since the waterproofing membrane should go up something like 6 inches around the pan base, but water standing where it shouldn't be will lead to mold growth so fix it anyways.

Edit: after reading your link, I checked and they did caulk where materials changed like the edge of tiles on the walls/baseboard/etc or where the window meets the tiles.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 25, 2021

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Ordered a new range for the house we just moved in to and got a call today that it arrived at the store damaged and wanted me to come look at it and decide whether I wanted to move forward with installation at a heavy discount or get a refund since there won’t be another unit in the area until December.

When I talked to them this afternoon they said it didn’t seem like it would impact the operation and I’d still be covered by the warranty/protection plan, but when I arrived it looked worse than I think I was expecting so I’m delaying delivery while I thought about it and had time to google how a back panel sent might impact an oven. Anyone have any knowledge about range functionality and the likelihood this is just cosmetic? Our current range works, it’s just not what we really want (switching from electric to induction), so I’m willing to wait for delivery at some point in the future if this is even somewhat likely to bite me in the rear end.

Upon further inspection, turns out the frame was also bent, so just doing a re-order. On the plus side they're throwing me a 10% discount since final delivery date's going to be pushed out to October.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
This LED panel just started blinking when it's on. Full on strobe mode:

Pulling the light down reveals:

Really uncomfortable with electric and know nothing about LED panels so not really sure how to trouble shoot this, especially since everything seems kinda hard wired in. Does the panel need replacing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hobbez posted:

Does the panel need replacing?

99.9% chance this is the solution. Unless you have an incompatible dimmer switch that you haven't dimmed before, was always on high and somehow got knocked to a lower setting.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I had a similar LED light in my last apartment fail in my bedroom. Not sure if it's factory QA or what but sometimes they just die and need to be replaced. I assume it happens more often with no-name brands... pretty sure mine was a Home Depot or Lowe's store brand.

definitely sucks since they are significantly pricer than simple incandescent bulbs of yore.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 26, 2021

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have LED lights in my bathroom, with wiring running above in the attic. Some squirrels got in, chewed the wiring, shorted the wires, which blew out the drivers. At least it's easily accessible to replace!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Well, drat. My homie had 20 extra hinges oh the same colour/style as my cabinetry hardware... but they're too small :cry:

Is the best thing to do to bring one of the cabinet doors with me to the hardware store to figure out the proper size? I... anyyway threw away the old ones, like an idiot.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Finally moving to convert the garage back to a garage after PO turned the third bay into a room and figured I could start cleaning up at least; took out a dividing wall that where they used to have a closet door I think and decided I now have to get a professional before I even started:

Not entirely sure what is going on here, but I think maybe dried spilled white paint, rust, rat droppings, and then the rest is maybe mold? Probably not a simple wall tear down anymore because I have no idea what we're going to find behind they're addition. I can't believe they had someone living here for 5 years. This owner is now a realtor at the company that sold the house touting knowledge and experience of local market and home ownership.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 27, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I mean that doesn't look that bad to me? It's a block wall behind that yeah? Probably no vapor barrier and moisture has been wicking up out of the concrete and making that drywall mold. Tear it out and wear breathing protection.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PageMaster posted:

Finally moving to convert the garage back to a garage after PO turned the third bay into a room and figured I could start cleaning up at least; took out a dividing wall that where they used to have a closet door I think and decided I now have to get a professional before I even started:

Not entirely sure what is going on here, but I think maybe dried spilled white paint, rust, rat droppings, and then the rest is maybe mold? Probably not a simple wall tear down anymore because I have no idea what we're going to find behind they're addition. I can't believe they had someone living here for 5 years. This owner is now a realtor at the company that sold the house touting knowledge and experience of local market and home ownership.

I'd just put on a decent mask/coveralls and keep demoing the wall. It's probably just a bunch of water from the exterior walls.

Home depot will rent you a HEPA filter + vacuum if that makes you happier. If you have a shop vac, you can grab something like this to clean up the debris.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Posted about this possibly being a project a while back and I decided to give it a go and thought I'd drop the outcome.

It was a loving bear doing this between just me and my girlfriend. Was pretty much a second full time job for 2/3 weeks. Very much on the border of biting off more then I can chew but a good lesson in DIY humility and overall I'm really glad we did it. Banged it out for around $2000 and I think it would have been 4x to do professionally.

Before:

After:

Still some detailing to do. When the temps drop in the fall I'm going to sod in grass around the edges and clean up the patio "entrance."

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Next steps are the same regardless if you were going to remove the drywall anyways.

Edit: that's an awesome fireplace

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 27, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hobbez posted:

Posted about this possibly being a project a while back and I decided to give it a go and thought I'd drop the outcome.

It was a loving bear doing this between just me and my girlfriend. Was pretty much a second full time job for 2/3 weeks. Very much on the border of biting off more then I can chew but a good lesson in DIY humility and overall I'm really glad we did it. Banged it out for around $2000 and I think it would have been 4x to do professionally.

Before:

After:

Still some detailing to do. When the temps drop in the fall I'm going to sod in grass around the edges and clean up the patio "entrance."

Yo that's fuckin awesome!

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Motronic posted:

99.9% chance this is the solution. Unless you have an incompatible dimmer switch that you haven't dimmed before, was always on high and somehow got knocked to a lower setting.

Thanks by the way. Just replaced the entire fixture today. Those were the first wire nuts I’ve ever twisted so that’s exciting.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

hobbez posted:

This LED panel just started blinking when it's on. Full on strobe mode:

Pulling the light down reveals:

Really uncomfortable with electric and know nothing about LED panels so not really sure how to trouble shoot this, especially since everything seems kinda hard wired in. Does the panel need replacing?

I put one of those things in the hallway at my old house, I think it was like $30 so nothing crazy. It started doing the same thing when powered on.

I replaced it and it went away. This was a few years ago and now they have a lot of ‘nicer’ slimmer led lights that avoid the need for the little screw nipple in the middle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

I mean that doesn't look that bad to me? It's a block wall behind that yeah? Probably no vapor barrier and moisture has been wicking up out of the concrete and making that drywall mold. Tear it out and wear breathing protection.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the issue here. This is just baby's first demo job. Keep going. Wear ppe. (mask and eye protection minimum....plus at least long pants/long sleeves and proper shoes)

hobbez posted:

Thanks by the way. Just replaced the entire fixture today. Those were the first wire nuts I’ve ever twisted so that’s exciting.

Nice. Glad that worked out for you.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 27, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
It is an interior wall is that changes anything, but took the opportunity to get some PPE and my first shop vac and HEPA filter from Home Depot anyways.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

PageMaster posted:

It is an interior wall is that changes anything, but took the opportunity to get some PPE and my first shop vac and HEPA filter from Home Depot anyways.

Which rigid vac did you buy? I love mine and I don't know how I lived without it for so long.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Verman posted:

Which rigid vac did you buy? I love mine and I don't know how I lived without it for so long.

The 12 gallon rigid corded one, someone (maybe you) recommended it in this or another thread somewhere, now I can shop attachments all day.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

It is an interior wall is that changes anything

It doesn't.....yet. Get in there and see what's what. It need to all come out anyway and what you need to deal with is what you need to deal with.

You're already in. Go for it.

I'm serious.....the Youtube University and here will help you, but you need to get the old crap out to see what you are dealing with. There's not going back now and you are already doing the right thing.....this wouldn't last and would just get nastier to deal with later.